legalized marijuana thread

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Idris wrote: »
    imalive wrote: »
    I smoked more weed back in the day than all you youngsters put together.

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

yeah, TOO POTENT! decriminalized, yes....legalized, no.

Too potent for YOU, so lets NOT legalize it.

I don't think that's what he meant.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Isn't potent a good thing? No more ditch weed. Potent just means you need to smoke less to get high. That means you spend less to get high. That's good, right? I've heard "too potent" as a negative before, but I don't understand that concept. And with labeling in states where it is legal, you could always ask for something with lower THC if that's the issue.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

relax......go smoke a bowl.....but, careful, this shit is really potent!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • That is really potent. In AZ I see 23-25% regularly but only have seen that high once or twice. Arizona will follow legalizing it right after California does. The medical program raked in large tax dollars (2013 saw 44 million with 2014 getting a couple hundred million) which will give them a really large incentive to just finish the decriminalization. I personally don't have a card but anyone with one can get 2 oz's in one purchase with them able to just go down the street and do it again to get more. So everyone just makes buddies with a card holder.

With Sativas they don't make you crazy or anything. It is more of a head high instead of body high. No couch lock involved with Sativas. I will sometimes call it 'make you stupid weed' as some people get retarded on it, my wife being one of those people. Personally I only smoke Sativa. For repetitive choirs like cleaning or folding laundry it rocks. Throw on some music, smoke a bowl and get to work. You finish before you realize it. Its also really great for concerts and other places you don't want to feel tired at. Music really gets enhanced with it. Leafly.com is a great reference on the effects of each of the different strains.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I'm 100% in favor of LEGALIZATION. I am well aware of the difference between decriminalization and legalization. It should be legal just as cigarettes and alcohol are. If thebshit is to strong,simply don't buy it.

Quick question for those of you in Arizona or Washington: I've heard employers can still pop you with drug tests and fire you for testing positive for pot. Is that being fought? Has the supreme court ruled in that yet?
    Quick question for those of you in Arizona or Washington: I've heard employers can still pop you with drug tests and fire you for testing positive for pot. Is that being fought? Has the supreme court ruled in that yet?

I'm not aware of anyone fighting it in Washington. Even with legal substances like alcohol an employer can still test and terminate if it is detected on the job. Add the federal prohibition to that and I don't think anyone is going to take away an employers right to test and fire you. There are a lot of companies, even companies considered "local", that piss test before hiring like Boeing and Costco. So even after legalization, nothing really changed with employers as far as the law goes.
    jeffbr wrote: »

I'm not aware of anyone fighting it in Washington. Even with legal substances like alcohol an employer can still test and terminate if it is detected on the job. Add the federal prohibition to that and I don't think anyone is going to take away an employers right to test and fire you. There are a lot of companies, even companies considered "local", that piss test before hiring like Boeing and Costco. So even after legalization, nothing really changed with employers as far as the law goes.

But unlike alcohol, you can have weed in your system and not be impaired. If I go into work and take a breathalyzer and blow anything over a .00, I'm impaired. I can smoke a bowl this weekend and test positive next Friday and not be impaired at all. That's my problem with drug testing.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I just got a new job and had to take a piss test. EVen if it was legal here I'm pretty sure my company would still test. Probably because I rent cars on their insurance and work with controlled substances.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317

Why are you telling me to relax? I'm like really quite relaxed, You don't seem relaxed,
    -
    If you had an opportunity to vote to legalize it or not, would you really vote to keep it from being 'truly legal'?

But unlike alcohol, you can have weed in your system and not be impaired. If I go into work and take a breathalyzer and blow anything over a .00, I'm impaired. I can smoke a bowl this weekend and test positive next Friday and not be impaired at all. That's my problem with drug testing.

Oh, I'm with you there. That was another issue I had with the legalization initiative that passed here. "The initiative sets a per se DUI limit of "delta-9" THC levels at greater than or equal to 5 nanograms per milliliter of blood (5 ng/mL)." There needs to be good tests developed for impairment. I would like to see some sort of reaction test, rather than blood test. I don't care why someone is impaired (too little sleep, legal prescription drugs, pot, alcohol, fatigue, etc...). If they are impaired in a way that they can't perform, whether work duties or driving, then they fail. But there are regular, daily medical marijuana smokers who could be stone cold sober, but will still test positive in any sort of blood test, and they shouldn't be punished for that. Most MMJ patients walk around with > 5ng/mL in their system regardless of when they last smoked and regardless of whether or not they're impaired.
  • I love this thread
  • I do too!
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited January 2015
    I'm 100% in favor of LEGALIZATION. I am well aware of the difference between decriminalization and legalization. It should be legal just as cigarettes and alcohol are. If thebshit is to strong,simply don't buy it.

It's still bad in AZ with how people are treated with a medical card. They made damn sure here to include in the medical bill that employers have the right to look you up in the database and can terminate you for just having a card. Forget having any in your system, that is enough. AZ is very employer friendly and has the most relaxed (or rigid depending on how you look at it) right to work laws of any state. Just to show you how harsh the DUI laws are, having a prescription pain killer in your blood is enough to get a DUI even if you are not on that medication at the time. Marijuana advocacy groups are fighting those laws in regards to MMJ but lost round 1.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Oh, I'm with you there. That was another issue I had with the legalization initiative that passed here. "The initiative sets a per se DUI limit of "delta-9" THC levels at greater than or equal to 5 nanograms per milliliter of blood (5 ng/mL)." There needs to be good tests developed for impairment. I would like to see some sort of reaction test, rather than blood test. I don't care why someone is impaired (too little sleep, legal prescription drugs, pot, alcohol, fatigue, etc...). If they are impaired in a way that they can't perform, whether work duties or driving, then they fail. But there are regular, daily medical marijuana smokers who could be stone cold sober, but will still test positive in any sort of blood test, and they shouldn't be punished for that. Most MMJ patients walk around with > 5ng/mL in their system regardless of when they last smoked and regardless of whether or not they're impaired.

Great post and points. My company doesn't test, though as a daily smoker I'm sure it'd be evident in my system if they did. (plus I kick ass at my job!)

Why are you telling me to relax? I'm like really quite relaxed, You don't seem relaxed,
    -
    If you had an opportunity to vote to legalize it or not, would you really vote to keep it from being 'truly legal'?

Jeez....I feel like I'm in the Moving Train.

on the last page, someone mentioned eating cookies that put them in a "semi-retarded state".....my point is, with the new stuff, I'm not sure sure you can just get a little stoned...it seems like, one hit and you're fucked up.

maybe they make some legal weaker stuff....I just know you can have a drink or two and just be mellow...not sure that's true with legal weed.

I'd vote to decriminalize it but not make it legal.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Finally we can talk about weed and everyone one is pretty cool about the whole thing, as someone who has been smoking 25 years and who has taken LSD and mushrooms well over 100 times total I am so happy how much the discussion has opened up and how much more opened up people's minds have become
    Aside from the Thai I smoked in high school (and I AM talking weed, not human :-D) and the occasional hit-too-hard bowl or bong, I've never gotten fucked up by one hit.

Edibles is another story and so easy to mis-calculate since it takes awhile to bloom.

To me, that's on the person, not the weed.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    edited January 2015
    Benefits of Indica:
    1. Relieves body pain
    2. Relaxes muscles
    3. Relieves spasms, reduces seizures
    4. Relieves headaches and migraines
    5. Relieves anxiety or stress

Benefits of Sativa:
    1. Feelings of well-being and at-ease
    2. Up-lifting and cerebral thoughts
    3. Stimulates and energizes
    4. Increases focus and creativity
    5. Fights depression

I think i could use both>LOL!!
    Post edited by cutz on
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

on the last page, someone mentioned eating cookies that put them in a "semi-retarded state".....my point is, with the new stuff, I'm not sure sure you can just get a little stoned...it seems like, one hit and you're fucked up.

maybe they make some legal weaker stuff....I just know you can have a drink or two and just be mellow...not sure that's true with legal weed.

It's kind of like liquor and beer. A person should have the choice some can handle it and some can't.
    #FHP
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I'm in Oregon. I'm not excited about it. I've been buying grower direct for years.
    #FHP

-

Right, so Because you (and some others) can't handle it, it should be only 'decriminalized'...How pathetic!

On top of that, you think they should make 'legal weaker stuff'...

X_X

If I wanna eat,smke,vape and sit in a retarded like state, then that is my own issue, my own thing.
    hedonist wrote: »

Great post and points. My company doesn't test, though as a daily smoker I'm sure it'd be evident in my system if they did. (plus I kick ass at my job!)

I agree, excellent post.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited January 2015
    The new stuff while strong is fine and not a reason to not decriminalize or flat out legalize. That would be the same as saying beer can be legal and outlawing everything else.

I smoke everyday but have rules. As an example never anywhere within 10 hours of work (I don't smoke after 10pm on weekdays to make sure I'm 100% sober at work). If used responsibly it is a wonderful thing that could replace a hell of a lot of prescription meds. My knees are almost shot from a heavy life of sports and my time in the Marines. A little later in life I will need to have surgery on them again (I already had round 1 on one of them when I was younger). I much rather prefer to smoke a bowl then take prescription narcotics that are easily addicting and cause many bad side effects. Even just for recreational use my kids see a huge difference in me. They don't know I smoke as that a decision they can make on their own as adults and I don't want to influence it now. But they definitely know when I am out and need to get more as my whole demeanor changes, Just the normal stress of life is relieved and it helps me spend better quality time with them as money, work and all the normal things we worry about is gone and I can focus on spending quality time with them.

The afternoon DJ on the rock radio station is a huge smoker and wants 4:20 done away with. He states we should avoid doing all the stupid shit that day to try and prove to the rest of society pot heads aren't just an SNL skit. Many of us are upstanding regular people with good jobs who live responsible lives. Instead of going to a bar after work to release stress we have another outlet. I'm very much with him on that front. Some can handle drinking, some get so bad they lose everything to the addiction. Marijuana is no different except rock bottom is getting over weight from the munchies and flaking on your responsibilities. Not nearly as bad as a hard alcoholic.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge wrote: »
    Many of us are upstanding regular people with good jobs who live responsible lives. Instead of going to a bar after work to release stress we have another outlet.
    Cheers to this! It's a valid and valuable point.

And I've said many a time - from the view of this about helping my back pain vs my recreational use - preference is for strong MJ vs pills. Between my husband and me we have a cabinet full of meds, but haven't taken any of it for quite awhile.

Actually, this is a good reminder to toss that shit. (I can't just throw it in trash, I suppose)
  • hedonist wrote: »
    cdysinge wrote: »
    Many of us are upstanding regular people with good jobs who live responsible lives. Instead of going to a bar after work to release stress we have another outlet.
    Cheers to this! It's a valid and valuable point.

And I've said many a time - from the view of this about helping my back pain vs my recreational use - preference is for strong MJ vs pills. Between my husband and me we have a cabinet full of meds, but haven't taken any of it for quite awhile.

Actually, this is a good reminder to toss that shit. (I can't just throw it in trash, I suppose)

No, but some pharmacies have recycling facilities for old meds. I agree though on MMJ vs pills. I'd rather have something natural in my system than some synthetic shit.
    Huh!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    You need to have this in the background while reading this thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABc8ciT5QLs
  • Interesting...

-

Right, so Because you (and some others) can't handle it, it should be only 'decriminalized'...How pathetic!

On top of that, you think they should make 'legal weaker stuff'...

X_X

If I wanna eat,smke,vape and sit in a retarded like state, then that is my own issue, my own thing.

again, Idris.....relax.

you have your opinion, I have mine. but don't worry.....I don't really care that much, one way or the other, to be writing to my senator or protesting against or sending letters to the editor or whatever. It's just my opinion and you're awfully judgemental to label it "pathetic."

feel free to get into a semi retarded state today....I'm assuming you won't be behind the wheel.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16