Options

2 cops shot in Brooklyn

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited December 2014
    Whoever posted about the pokemon cards deserves credit....that was fu(king funny. Made my sinuses hurt.

I'm issuing a self imposed ban on posting for violating the spirit and intent of these forums. I would be a hypocrite if I demand accountability of others without being accountable myself.
    I sincerely apologize to anyone who missed the point of any of my posts and those that suffered butt-hurt of any kind.
    Take care and Happy New Year!
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Looks like they got what they wanted. Yep, no one saw what happened on Saturday coming at all with all these "peaceful protest".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4ARsxrZh8&feature=player_embedded
    NYPJ
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JC29856 wrote: »
    Whoever posted about the pokemon cards deserves credit....that was fu(king funny. Made my sinuses hurt.

I'm issuing a self imposed ban on posting for violating the spirit and intent of these forums. I would be a hypocrite if I demand accountability of others without being accountable myself.
    I sincerely apologize to anyone who missed the point of any of my posts and those that suffered butt-hurt of any kind.
    You know...until the passive-aggressive bullshit I've bolded for your reference, I was willing to give you some benefit of the doubt. Why bother taking the time for this, if insincere?

And, it's fine if my admittedly-tiny opinion does nothing to help you see a different view.

Per the old man himself, "doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Good. Maybe now we can resume some reasonable discussion.

Neil as "the old man himself". Love that, Hedo! :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
    edited December 2014
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    brianlux wrote: »
    Good. Maybe now we can resume some reasonable discussion.

Neil as "the old man himself". Love that, Hedo! :-)

Ahmen to that….
  • Options
    Good reminder. Thanks Sea.

So the question that comes to my mind is, how do we resolve this? I think it's got to start with better police training, training and higher standards and somehow infuse the idea that cops first priority is to serve. There's too much power involved in the psyche of a cop. That needs to be replaced with a more samurai mind set of service.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,863

So the question that comes to my mind is, how do we resolve this? I think it's got to start with better police training, training and higher standards and somehow infuse the idea that cops first priority is to serve. There's too much power involved in the psyche of a cop. That needs to be replaced with a more samurai mind set of service.

we as citizens can start by investigating what our respective PD's are requiring to hire for a start then see what the training entails, find out the mission statement and how leadership promotes that.
    We just had a deal with an officer trying to get his job back during an admin hearing run by the Chief herself. Transcript was offered or requested and given for publishing. She did what I would expect the leader of our department do. Hold her juniors accountable. ( he had an unregistered CI and bought drugs from her. He was a beat cop. Had an addiction himself. No way he should have had a CI. per policy)

The other is to be informed of moves from PD and Public Safety Depts in out locales. Pay Attention to whats going on in our communities and speak out to those who are accountable for it. Namely your mayors.

Until we can understand that much in our respective communities , we will only be offering unreachable ideal scenarios. My thoughts anyway.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don't know that it CAN be resolved, Brian - at least not completely. To do that would be to go against the grain of being human. Anger, misunderstandings, jumping to conclusions on both sides...and from the sidelines...it happens. Sure, it shouldn't...but it does.

That power is prime for some officers. Some are the personification of what the career calls for.

Maybe it comes down to accountability, across the board.
  • Options
    Well, it's true Hedo- I always ask a lot of people including myself- maybe too much. I guess I figure if we shoot for the sky we might at least keep from fall off the bottom rung.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    JC29856 wrote: »

Best post you've made all year. Thanks.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    ^^^^stop being butt hurt Scott =)) =)) =)) sorry, had to haha
  • Options
    badbrains wrote: »
    ^^^^stop being butt hurt Scott =)) =)) =)) sorry, had to haha

Butt hurt. That's the funny part
  • Options
    wall232 wrote: »
    Looks like they got what they wanted. Yep, no one saw what happened on Saturday coming at all with all these "peaceful protest".

This is unbelievable.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Someone posted about this article in another thread, but it seems very appropriate here. It was written by Frank Serpico and after being amazed that he is still alive, it is very current, truly enlightening and appropriate. He had some thoughts about what should be done on the last page of the article.:
    1. Strengthen the selection process and psychological screening process for police recruits. Police departments are simply a microcosm of the greater society. If your screening standards encourage corrupt and forceful tendencies, you will end up with a larger concentration of these types of individuals;

2. Provide ongoing, examples-based training and simulations. Not only telling but showing police officers how they are expected to behave and react is critical;

3. Require community involvement from police officers so they know the districts and the individuals they are policing. This will encourage empathy and understanding;

4. Enforce the laws against everyone, including police officers. When police officers do wrong, use those individuals as examples of what not to do – so that others know that this behavior will not be tolerated. And tell the police unions and detective endowment associations they need to keep their noses out of the justice system;

5. Support the good guys. Honest cops who tell the truth and behave in exemplary fashion should be honored, promoted and held up as strong positive examples of what it means to be a cop;

6. Last but not least, police cannot police themselves. Develop permanent, independent boards to review incidents of police corruption and brutality—and then fund them well and support them publicly. Only this can change a culture that has existed since the beginnings of the modern police department.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160_Page4.html#ixzz3MhYGg6fy

And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options

Someone posted about this article in another thread, but it seems very appropriate here. It was written by Frank Serpico and after being amazed that he is still alive, it is very current, truly enlightening and appropriate. He had some thoughts about what should be done on the last page of the article.:
    1. Strengthen the selection process and psychological screening process for police recruits. Police departments are simply a microcosm of the greater society. If your screening standards encourage corrupt and forceful tendencies, you will end up with a larger concentration of these types of individuals;

2. Provide ongoing, examples-based training and simulations. Not only telling but showing police officers how they are expected to behave and react is critical;

3. Require community involvement from police officers so they know the districts and the individuals they are policing. This will encourage empathy and understanding;

4. Enforce the laws against everyone, including police officers. When police officers do wrong, use those individuals as examples of what not to do – so that others know that this behavior will not be tolerated. And tell the police unions and detective endowment associations they need to keep their noses out of the justice system;

5. Support the good guys. Honest cops who tell the truth and behave in exemplary fashion should be honored, promoted and held up as strong positive examples of what it means to be a cop;

6. Last but not least, police cannot police themselves. Develop permanent, independent boards to review incidents of police corruption and brutality—and then fund them well and support them publicly. Only this can change a culture that has existed since the beginnings of the modern police department.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160_Page4.html#ixzz3MhYGg6fy

Wow- first of all, very cool- didn't know Serpico is still around.

And yeah, those are great ideas. I hope the right people read them and help put them to use.

• Options
    I like #4
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think this was a nice show of compassion ....

Earlier today, Eric Garner's daughter visited the memorial for Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos, the two NYPD officers killed on Saturday. "I just had to come out and let their family know that we stand with them, and I'm going to send my prayers and condolences to all the families who are suffering through this tragedy," Emerald Garner told ABC News.

"I don't feel conflicted because I was never anti-police," Garner, whose unarmed father was choked to death by an NYPD officer this summer, added. "Like I said before, I have family that's in the NYPD that I've grown up around, family reunions and everything so my family you know, we're not anti-police."

gawker.com/eric-garners-daughter-visited-the-slain-nypd-officers-m-1674254834
  • Options
    Yes indeed Jason, that was a cool thing she did. Some people just have "IT" and others don't.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    wall232 wrote: »

This is unbelievable.

It really is and it's sad. I know the majority of the protesters have been peaceful but a lot of them haven't. Officers have been attacked, spit on and things thrown at them and what was the order given straight from the top? To walk away. This wasn't just one incident of protesters chanting this, I've heard it all over the city and its just been sickening!
    NYPJ
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2014
    The media is stoking this fire with many insecure humans grabbing on for validation from their skin color, to which they had nothing to do with. That my friends is the first problem.

Secondly we don't spend enough on educating our poor. Including after school programs. This includes raising stature of our teachers. Pay and education.

Finally, as with teachers, need to raise stature of our police force and having police that mirrors society. Of course reprimand officers that do wrong.

But let's continue to fund wars and subsidize big business. Fuck republican party. Fuck Fox. Yeah and cnn and msnbc as well as anyone that thinks they are better due to skin pigment. Your not. Your simply a byproduct of your environment. You are not special.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ^^^^^callen spot on
  • Options
    callen wrote: »
    The media is stoking this fire with many insecure humans grabbing on for validation from their skin color, to which they had nothing to do with. That my friends is the first problem.

Secondly we don't spend enough on educating our poor. Including after school programs. This includes raising stature of our teachers. Pay and education.

Finally, as with teachers, need to raise stature of our police force and having police that mirrors society. Of course reprimand officers that do wrong.

But let's continue to fund wars and subsidize big business. Fuck republican party. Fuck Fox. Yeah and cnn and msnbc as well as anyone that thinks they are better due to skin pigment. Your not. Your simply a byproduct of your environment. You are not special.

Aside from good parenting which we have no control over, education is the only proactive measure we have to address the problems society faces.

Say what you want about it- I realize it's far from perfect- but amongst nothing else... it gives us a chance.

And I agree that big business has been pulling the strings for quite some time now. Not to be a pessimist, but until an unbelievable leader comes along willing to make dramatic and disruptive changes... expect the status quo for a long time (our lifetime anyways).
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I've never understood the "my taxes pay your salary" notion.
    I feel like we're headed down a national race war here. at least in the US.
    why does stuff like this happen repeatedly in the US but not in Canada?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    paulonious wrote: »
    It's a half truth. Our taxes pay part of their salary ... they other part is extradited from our wallets through chicken shit tickets.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Jason P wrote: »
    It's a half truth. Our taxes pay part of their salary ... they other part is extradited from our wallets through chicken shit tickets.

chicken shit tickets?

I love the argument I keep seeing around my neck of the woods how photo radar tickets are a "cash grab". IMO, nothing more than people who break the law getting all bent ouf of shape because they got caught. they rationalize that studies show it's not decreasing driver speed. I got nabbed TWICE in one day. same intersection. my fault for not paying better attention at the posted speed limit. I thought it was 60. it was 50. I learned my lesson and I'm very cognizant of speed limits now.

so who's the idiot who gets a ticket and continues to speed?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

chicken shit tickets?

I love the argument I keep seeing around my neck of the woods how photo radar tickets are a "cash grab". IMO, nothing more than people who break the law getting all bent ouf of shape because they got caught. they rationalize that studies show it's not decreasing driver speed. I got nabbed TWICE in one day. same intersection. my fault for not paying better attention at the posted speed limit. I thought it was 60. it was 50. I learned my lesson and I'm very cognizant of speed limits now.

Apparently most of the entire country. There is absolutely no way that police may hide in the shadows at spots they have identified as speed "traps".

What about cities that outlaw people and threaten to fine them for filling random expired parking meters before the meter maid can wright a ticket? And is their a more efficient worker in the entire government infrastructure then the meter maid?

Why are there obvious yet always denied monthly ticket quotas?

Have you ever been pulled over for going 58 in a 55? Or is it better to be the person who drives 48 in a 55 and back up traffic?
  • Options

chicken shit tickets?

Apparently most of the entire country. There is absolutely no way that police may hide in the shadows at spots they have identified as speed "traps".

What about cities that outlaw people and threaten to fine them for filling random expired parking meters before the meter maid can wright a ticket? And is their a more efficient worker in the entire government infrastructure then the meter maid?

Why are there obvious yet always denied monthly ticket quotas?

Have you ever been pulled over for going 58 in a 55? Or is it better to be the person who drives 48 in a 55 and back up traffic?

Jason...

Being 'free' doesn't mean being free to pick and choose which laws you are going to abide by.

Speed limits- seeing as we're talking about speed limits- are set for a reason. I find them frustrating because I am a very alert driver: I never text, yap on the phone, fumble with shit, eat, and I anticipate poor decisions by cars and pedestrians on a continual basis. I could drive faster without causing problems, however, the idiots I come across on a daily basis cannot. Therefore, I begrudgingly drive slower so that kids are safe crossing the street and my family is safe from some idiot not being afforded enough time to make a sound decision at an intersection we both approach.

There might be the 'quotas' you suggest, but ultimately... it doesn't matter: if you speed and get caught doing so... you have nobody to blame but yourself. I have had my share of tickets as well and they have all pissed me off... but I'm more pissed with myself than the cop who pulls me over and writes me up.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Speeding is speeding. It doesn't matter if it is 56 in a 55 or 86 in a 55. If you speed and get caught, you should be ticketed. Unless the cop feels like you a break. And yes, it's entirely up to the cop.

As far as somebody going to slow, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of an example of someone getting ticketed for going to slow unless it was on an interstate, in which case, there is a minimum speed limit on most interstates.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,514
    edited December 2014
    If you are breaking the law, you have no right to be pissed off, surprised, upset or anything else if you get caught & are made to face the consequences. If a cop pulls you over for driving over the speed limit, well........ You WERE breaking the law.

That SHOULD be common sense in our society.

It reminds me of Jim Carrey's legal advice to his client in Liar Liar when asked how the guy can stay out of jail:

"QUIT BREAKING THE LAW!"
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on