Options

2 cops shot in Brooklyn

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Easy for you to say pal. I luv my city and where I live (tax paying area) plus i get paid way 2 well to start over somewhere else. I only got a few more years to go anyhow to be vested in my pension if I choose to go early, but just like any cynical cop I may want to stick around a little longer to keep my front row seat to one of the biggest shit-shows on earth. But that charter boat business in Hawaii I plan on Buying into really has sounded more temping lately.
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote: »
    muskydan wrote: »
    Come on Godfather, you know better than that. It's never considered racism for the media's overall Agenda when the shoe is on the other foot. Plus they were just lowly Policeman, they are supposed to take bullets first before they can fight back according to many "community activist". Poor guys didn't even have a chance to get to their pistols before being assassinated. You should see the new Proposed "rules of engagement" for police officers the community activists in Chicago have layed out for our "city Leaders" to review for the "Protection of BLack and Brown lives".... Scarey times ahead in my urban-life city.

so quit and get a job at another dept.
    Better yet... seeing as you have it all figured out... go enlist and show everybody how to do it properly.

I'm okay with your assertion for greater accountability, but I'm not okay with the smug responses spoken from your cozy little perch.

You have expressed greater sympathies for the piece of shit, cowardly murderer in his thread than you have for any police officer including the one you just told to relocate (when you called him a disgrace). You've even tried to deflect attention given to the slain officers with your sarcastic 'in case anyone was wondering about the woman who's also been shot' comment.

Geezuz, man.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited December 2014
    Didn't the guy put on Facebook or Twitter that he was going to NY to seek revenge for Brown and garner? Were those reports accurate? When was it reported that he accidentally shot his girlfriend?
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    Guess you missed the no excusing this horrific act part and overread the general statement about accountability.
    further musky has stated he's forced to work the neighborhoods he does. Not true. He is free to leave at anytime.
    This guy shooting his gf was the start of that shitty day.so to give an update on her condition didnt seem off topic as it was the starting point of the ongoing criminal act.

as a citizen I do have a rightful expectation of accountability. In my dealings with pd (pulled over) in my city they are treated with respect out of the gate. They have a job to do. I dont seek to prolong it more than they need to do the job.

To ignore the fact that things need to change does a disservice imo to these two officers.

shits gonna get worse before it gets better.

your FiL ,30 was spot on as was the serpico piece. Forgive my lack diplomatic language. Or dont.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Guess you missed the no excusing this horrific act part and overread the general statement about accountability.
    further musky has stated he's forced to work the neighborhoods he does. Not true. He is free to leave at anytime.
    This guy shooting his gf was the start of that shitty day.so to give an update on her condition didnt seem off topic as it was the starting point of the ongoing criminal act.

as a citizen I do have a rightful expectation of accountability. In my dealings with pd (pulled over) in my city they are treated with respect out of the gate. They have a job to do. I dont seek to prolong it more than they need to do the job.

To ignore the fact that things need to change does a disservice imo to these two officers.

your FiL ,30 was spot on as was the serpico piece. Forgive my lack diplomatic language. Or dont.

I always read your posts and feel better for doing so, Mickey.

I'm just kind of surprised at your approach to this topic. As much change that is necessary, there's a profession that needs a hug right now and we are collectively crapping all over it. How does this make things better?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757

I always read your posts and feel better for doing so, Mickey.

I'm just kind of surprised at your approach to this topic. As much change that is necessary, there's a profession that needs a hug right now and we are collectively crapping all over it. How does this make things better?

I don't see what Mickey said as crapping on the police force, Thirty. I think everyone here- including Mickey- has, at least once, said that what happened was horrible and wrong. At the same time, is it not important to look at the cause and effect that is going on and has been building for a long time in the U.S.? It makes sense to me to start NOW toward looking at why these things are happening in some places, otherwise it's just going to get worse. This is especially true in several large cities and certain parts of the world. There are a lot of places where shit like this just doesn't happen because police are better trained, racism is less rampant. there is not so much division among people, etc. And I totally get what you're saying about police needing some support right now but when you say they need hugs, I don't think of cops generally as hugging type people. Maybe what would help would be to have more hugging type cops (no joking- they are out there) and fewer brutal cops.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Brian, I never targeted mickey with that comment.

Media and social media has a hand in shaping the public's perception. And that, to some degree, is that cops are racist and out of control.

The natural spin off to such a perception are the types of acts we are bearing witness to.
  • Options
    I can always use a Hug…better yet a hummer from my date tonight will do just fine too…and a Blackhawks victory.
  • Options
    I can always use a Hug…better yet a hummer from my date tonight will do just fine too…and a Blackhawks victory.

Maybe a solid defensive player in the 2015 NFL draft. Don't forget about that one.
  • Options

Media and social media has a hand in shaping the public's perception. And that, to some degree, is that cops are racist and out of control.

The natural spin off to such a perception are the types of acts we are bearing witness to.

If we taught critical thinking in our schools we could probably exchange media and social media driven public perception for much more realistic viewpoints regarding the world around us and probably a lot of the other consequences of poor education including racism and unwarranted violence. The fact that so many people get their perspective on the world through crap on TV and their social media is pathetic.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux wrote: »

If we taught critical thinking in our schools we could probably exchange media and social media driven public perception for much more realistic viewpoints regarding the world around us and probably a lot of the other consequences of poor education including racism and unwarranted violence. The fact that so many people get their perspective on the world through crap on TV and their social media is pathetic.
    Agree for the most part, but where do home and parenting come in? I value schools and its educators, but what does it say that school is the pinnacle for life lessons and common sense? Just a sad commentary?
  • Options
    hedonist wrote: »

Agree for the most part, but where do home and parenting come in? I value schools and its educators, but what does it say that school is the pinnacle for life lessons and common sense? Just a sad commentary?
    That's an excellent point Hedo. Learning is best when initiated by the parents at home. Obviously I think more like a teacher than a parent- probably because, never having kids of my own, I've only done parenting part-time as an uncle.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Muskydan / Mickyrat; most of my comments on this topic lately have been off the cuff...sarcastic, I can't remember every word from comments on past topics but I remember the general overall feeling of opinion in past topics and we (myself included) seem to bounce around like a pinball game with our ideas and opinions from topic to topic and I think sometimes we....(big word here so help me with the spelling) "counterdict" ourselfs in between topics so I was just having a little fun with the media controled board game called the "news" as it is (another one)" interpited" by all of us here on the Train ......please forgive my twisted sence of humor LOL !!

Godfather.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Contradict? ^^^ "big word" god father. I'm fucken with ya. We get what you meant. =))
  • Options
    badbrains wrote: »
    Contradict? ^^^ "big word" god father. I'm fucken with ya. We get what you meant. =))

ahh a wisrguy...I like it ! :)>-

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote: »
    badbrains wrote: »

ahh a wiseguy...I like it ! :)>-

Godfather.

ooops another spelling glitch.

Godfather.

• Options
    No need for Apologies Godfather...I can hear in the background Joe Peschi in the background from Goodfellas saying "he's nothing but a Lowly RAT Henry".

Parenting???? Wow, are now going to have those " difficult" conversations? I know ain't going there anymore....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Why shouldn't we teach critical thinking in the schools? Development of critical thinking skills is the basis for education, isn't it? From what I see with my daughter's highschool, the teachers are doing a fairly good job of it, with a lot of emphasis on judging the validity of the sources of information.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Why shouldn't we teach critical thinking in the schools? Development of critical thinking skills is the basis for education, isn't it? From what I see with my daughter's highschool, the teachers are doing a fairly good job of it, with a lot of emphasis on judging the validity of the sources of information.[/quote]

You are correct. Critical Thinking is a significant skill schools are teaching. It always has been, however given how society has developed, the need for it has never been greater.
  • Options
    Quote feature is messed.

Do the mods know about the program issues?
  • Options
    No need for Apologies Godfather...I can hear in the background Joe Peschi in the background from Goodfellas saying "he's nothing but a Lowly RAT Henry".

Parenting???? Wow, are now going to have those " difficult" conversations? I know ain't going there anymore....

hahhahhah who dossent love Joe Pechi !

Godfather.

• Options

Why shouldn't we teach critical thinking in the schools? Development of critical thinking skills is the basis for education, isn't it? From what I see with my daughter's highschool, the teachers are doing a fairly good job of it, with a lot of emphasis on judging the validity of the sources of information.
    I'm absolutely not saying it shouldn't be taught - it should - but sometimes it seems the importance of what's learned and demonstrated within the home is underestimated, even not expected.

Thirty, I wonder if the quoting thing is based on the device used? I've had a few issues but it seems to be OK for me now.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Today's version of critical thinking ...

lSLM0xhCA1RZOwaQcjhlwmsvaIQYaP3c5qbDKCgLALhydrgExnaSKZdGa8S3YtRuVA=w300
  • Options
    I think that's a large part of it, Jason. A petri dish of narcissism, lack of forethought, and some strange new skewed language too.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Cause and effect ....

Man tries to run down police; they shoot, kill him

UPPER DARBY, Pa. (AP) — A man who had posted an online video threatening to kill police and FBI agents tried to use his car to run down officers seeking to arrest him on Tuesday so, fearing for their lives, they shot and killed him, authorities said.

Police did not immediately identify the man, who was killed in Upper Darby, in suburban Philadelphia, as officers ordered him out of the car and he appeared ready to accelerate at them as they manned a blockade.

Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said the officers feared the man would kill them and they "did what they had to do." He said five officers fired at the man and no officers were injured.

Police had secured an arrest warrant for the man after he threatened to kill police and FBI agents in the online video, Chitwood said. The man's death comes a little more than a week after a man who made similar threats shot two New York Police Department officers dead in their patrol car and then killed himself in a subway station.

news.yahoo.com/man-tries-run-down-police-shoot-kill-him-000453476.html
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I really didn't know which thread to post this in but this seemed a reasonable choice.

Here's an article from The Atlantic showing information on deaths of police in the line of duty in 2014, broken down by firearms deaths, traffic-related, and "other". While the first paragraph describes it as a "particularly bloody year for law enforcement officers in America", the data actually doesn't support this. The total of 126 deaths is higher than the number last year, but lower than the average for the last decade. In fact, looking at the graph, the number appears to be lower than most years since 1964, which surprised me.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/how-many-cops-die-in-the-line-of-duty-each-year/384129/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 said:
    For those that don't know what victim blaming is, here are some examples:
    He shouldn't have assaulted a police officer
    He shouldn't have robbed a store
    He shouldn't have walked around Wal-Mart with a gun
    He shouldn't have played with a toy gun that looked real
    His parents should have taught him not to play with gun
    He shouldn't have ran from the cops
    He shouldn't be selling illegal cigarettes