Options

2 cops shot in Brooklyn

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2014
    Gambs but the perps are just the products of our society.

Always thought how the US is young and doesn't really have a culture. Like France or Mexico Unfortunately feel I now do see the US culture. Gods, guns, haves and have nots with wonderful capitalism keeping it going.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    paulonious wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it's so difficult to recruit quality individuals in the US to the police force, when in Canada it's so difficult to get in.
    I'll speculate...

Canada doesn't feature the same inherent threats as the US does: no guns, very little poverty, and no blatant racism. I'd rather be an underwater welder than a cop in the US.

The people that I associate with never speak poorly of the police. The amount of disrespect the US faction of the 10C 'generally' has for it's working police is shocking. Why would young people be interested in law enforcement when it seems to be viewed it so negatively?

Further, I feel that the Canadian police (the RCMP anyways) are paid reasonably well and generously compared to our southern counterparts.

Of course any or all of the above could be wrong!

I would disagree with very little poverty and no blatant racism in Canada. police/first nations relations are super tense, especially in reserve country (at least in Manitoba). no, there's very little gun violence, but people who live on reserves have, in some cases, not even had access to clean water in decades.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think it can also be a cultural thing in the US. with the frame of mind of the US constitution and personal freedoms and rights, it's not surprising that so many people don't like the police down there, as they believe every time they are asked a question by a police officer that their rights to privacy and personal freedom are being violated. I personally don't give a shit if a cop stops me to ask a question, which, if I'm doing nothing wrong, has never happened. in 99% of cases, if you are respectful, you get the same in return (in my Canadian experience). if a cop pulls me over and asks me where I'm headed for no apparent reason, yeah, I'd be annoyed, but I'd probably answer anyway because who gives a shit.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fife wrote: »
    ldent42 wrote: »
    How well does the Canadian force pay?

NYPD don't get paid shit to start off with. Even if you get promoted, it's not like they're making lawyer bank. You have to truly WANT to be a cop, or you're just hanging your future on the early retirement benefit.

to answer your question about cops in Canad it depends on what province you are a cop in.

the ave is 60 to 70 k a year plus benefits.

New RCMP constables receive a base salary of $48,946. Usually after about 36 months of service, they make approximately $79,308 a year.

Cadets in training with the Toronto Police Service can expect to start at $53,605 per year and advance to $59,574 as a 4th class constable. (1st class constables make $85,106.)

local police in winnipeg start a good deal lower (to my knowledge) than Toronto, but they go up quick. I think they start at something like 40, but after 5 years hit 60 or something. and that's not counting promotions or job changes. it doesn't take long. and I think they are worth every penny and more.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'm not sure why it's so difficult to recruit quality individuals in the US to the police force, when in Canada it's so difficult to get in.
    I'll speculate...

Canada doesn't feature the same inherent threats as the US does: no guns, very little poverty, and no blatant racism. I'd rather be an underwater welder than a cop in the US.

The people that I associate with never speak poorly of the police. The amount of disrespect the US faction of the 10C 'generally' has for it's working police is shocking. Why would young people be interested in law enforcement when it seems to be viewed it so negatively?

Further, I feel that the Canadian police (the RCMP anyways) are paid reasonably well and generously compared to our southern counterparts.

Of course any or all of the above could be wrong!

I would disagree with very little poverty and no blatant racism in Canada. police/first nations relations are super tense, especially in reserve country (at least in Manitoba). no, there's very little gun violence, but people who live on reserves have, in some cases, not even had access to clean water in decades.

I've heard that about some of the eastern provinces. This is unfortunate.

In British Columbia, it seems our First Nations groups are becoming very progressive: many bands (not all mind you) have begun exploiting the advantages afforded to them by law and are beginning to prosper in the areas of business and development as a result.

I also see a concerted effort to develop relationships with schools and school boards to accommodate First Nations kids- a major step in developing trust that was lost decades ago.

Strong and selfless leadership has developed in many situations as well that sees federal disbursements more equitably distributed.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    muskydan wrote: »
    Here is something a NYC policeman just wrote. Unfortunately this is ever growing attitude loads of working copper's I work with are feeling right now as am I. I sure hope things chance cause if we proceed down this path American society is going to have a very big problem. When the Bad guys no longer fear the Police society suffers most…trust me. Again, take it for what it's worth…this is the true feeling's of a NYC working police….

WAAR Media has received the following statement from a current NYPD Police Officer under the condition of anonymity. Please be advised the post contains strong language and profanity which though not typical of WAAR posts, we felt was important to post in a version that was unedited.

* Al Sharpton’s name is left as it was typed as NYPD officers sometimes refer to Mr. Sharpton as the Sharp ton.

When I was a kid I’d see my dad come home with his gun and shield, and I was beyond intrigued. He was not only my hero, but the city’s. I couldn’t wait to grow up and be a cop. Just like my dad and my older brother. I didn’t know what the pay or the benefits were, I just wanted to help people. Fast forward 20+ years and here I am. Except I’m no ones hero, actually I’m the enemy.

It wasn’t until I graduated the academy and went out on the street I realized, wow, where the fuck am I? Dead bodies, homicides, drugs, guns. At first it was fun. A cat and mouse game. I get the bad guy off the street and it saves the city. As the years progressed and the neighborhoods I worked in got worse, slowly that bad guy I hunted transitioned. He was no longer a guy with a gun in his baggy pants, he was me. I was hated. By every single person I encountered. No matter what I did.

There were days I’d get my ass kicked. Days I’d get murderers and rapists off the street. It didn’t matter. I was a white Irish cop, the devil. It didn’t matter I tried in vain to give CPR to a dying baby, I was still the enemy a minute later. But at the end of the day the bad guys still feared us and that’s all that mattered.

Fast forward to the liberal anti-cop movement. City councils, CCRB, Al Sharp ton. Nobody gave a fuck that every night I saw a different black man take a bullet, they just cared that it was not mine. Now I get in trouble for cursing. What? If your wrestling with a mope with a gun are you gonna curse? Are you gonna fight back? Of course cause I’m human. Suddenly though, I can’t even be human. Those rights that are demanded by these protesters, well they’re everyone’s but mine.

I swore I’d never become that cop. That old, angry, numb socially uncouth cop. Well now I make that cop look like mother Theresa. Theres only so much a person can take before they shut down. No one calls 911 for good things. It’s a daily roller coaster of bad to horrific and it never gets better.

You take this job and you know there’s a chance you can die, obviously. But you think of it as, “OK , I’m in this gun battle with a bank robber and I die in glory.” You don’t sign up for “I’m gonna be sitting in my patrol car eating lunch and get executed from behind.” Give me a chance. A chance to fight back you fuckin coward. They never had a chance. And it eats me up inside.

I’m sick over it. I didn’t know them but I know them. They’re me. I’m them. I play it over and over again in my head and it makes me sick. Yeah that heartless animal murdered them, but he didn’t act alone. The city of New York run by its disgrace of a Mayor, di Blasio murdered them too. Here’s a man who stands in front of his city and tells them he’s afraid his son will get killed by a cop, all the while he has cops guarding his son 24/7. He enticed a race war. He allows a city to protest for a criminal and chant they want dead cops. Well they got what they wanted didn’t they? Right before Christmas, 2 funerals. A husband, a father, a son.

Every single day at work I encounter real bad guys. And guess what? They know they’ve won. They know we are hesitant. That fear is gone. Now that fear is in us. I have two little kids at home. I’m gonna leave them parentless for what? A city that hates me? Condemns me? Leave my spouse a single parent for a city that spits on me? It’s not worth it anymore.

I don’t know what’s going to happen but I do know this. You can curse us, spit on us, even fight us, but the day you kill us is the day you awake a sleeping giant. We were executed. We won’t be executed again. We are in hell right now, but if you think we are gonna sit back and get murdered you’re wrong. Their blood is on di Blasios hands. He has single handily divided the city. Not just black and white but black and blue. He stands next to Sharp ton, a man who has professed his anti-white anti-Semitic rants for decades. It’s egregious. Despicable. It’s almost like I’m in a different world. When the fuck did I become the bad guy? When the fuck did they let bad guys run the city?

So I never got to become that hero like my dad. But I got to share the same uniform as 2 of them-Ramos and Liu. Remember their names. They were murdered by the city of New York. The great city that I swore to protect, that never protected us back. Their execution will live heavy in my heart forever. I’ve officially lost my faith in mankind. But I haven’t yet lost my faith in God. And as I get dressed every day and put my vest on, I say a prayer to God, “Lead us to a place, guide us with your grace, to a place where we’ll be safe.” I don’t need to be a hero anymore, I just want to go home.

This dude doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of the history of the NYPD and their relationship with the community.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    As long as the " Us against them mentality " exist in the community's most affected nothing will ever change !!!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    You are right, he probably has to grasp of the community. His Dad was not only the Police, but he is currently a working coppers NYC. Sounds like No grasp at all of the community...but CNBC and CNN do... That cool aide must taste real nice. Yikes
  • Options
    I spoke with my father in law last night about the situation in the US. He's a retired police officer.

Among several things, he suggested a few things that make complete sense:

1. You have got to be an idiot to point a gun at a police officer and not expect to get shot. There's simply no way a cop is going to place the life of someone potentially shooting at them over their own.

2. Cops in the US have to be highly cognizant of the fact that there are heightened tensions right now. We would never hear of the countless incidents throughout the country that ended without a death, but easily could have if not handled professionally. The landmark cases cannot be the ones used to characterize a nation's entire police force.

3. Cops must be held accountable for criminal behavior while working. If the citizen unrest results in this occurring, then such efforts can be said to have had a positive effect. If the unrest results in a tainted attitude towards those who serve, the exercise will have had a damaging effect.

To this, I again suggest we be careful in our discussions to limit frustrations to processes and individuals instead of making general assertions that have the effect of discrediting the overwhelming majority of cops who perform admirably and on a daily basis. Demanding that an independent agency handle possible cop abuse cases is miles different than marching through streets demanding you want dead cops (this attitude is spawned from unhealthy table talk and misdirected tensions).
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Excellent post, Thirty. Your father-in-law is a wise man.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    You are right, he probably has to grasp of the community. His Dad was not only the Police, but he is currently a working coppers NYC. Sounds like No grasp at all of the community...but CNBC and CNN do... That cool aide must taste real nice. Yikes

Never implied that but the first paragraph pretty clearly states that he believes historically the nypd have been seen as heroes, perhaps since 9/11 or so yes for the most part, but that is pretty clearly not the case since the great migration.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote: »
    Excellent post, Thirty. Your father-in-law is a wise man.

Cheers Hedo!
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Idris wrote: »
    Too bad he shot himself? Because now the police can't get street revenge and blow this guys head off? Alright.
    -
    Too bad he shot himself, it would've been amazing to see him captured alive, and gone to trial like what is suppose to happen in the USA.

sounds like he was kind enough to save the tax payers a lot of money, I wonder what that guy was thinking before he shot himself ? was he ashamed of what he had done ? did he feel the pain and remorse of his actions ? did he just not want to spend the rest of his life in a prison cell ? or....was the last thing that went thru his mind a bullet ? does it really matter at this point ? case closed !

Godfather.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    meanwhile, the woman this guy shot is still critical but stable. Just in case any wondered.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    mickeyrat wrote: »
    meanwhile, the woman this guy shot is still critical but stable. Just in case any wondered.

I guess she's not newsworthy enough. Our culture thrives on blood, violence, drama, histrionics and shock. Might I add, sort of like AMT sometimes?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    brianlux wrote: »

I guess she's not newsworthy enough. Our culture thrives on blood, violence, drama, histrionics and shock. Might I add, sort of like AMT sometimes?

not to mention she is a female person of color. typically not the kind of victim that makes the news.

i just wanted to add that i've been unfriended by nearly every cop and cop-supporter on social media after expressing my 'middle ground' opinion. there is a serious attitude, which you've seen expressed here, that if you do not support the nypd and its officers actions 100% you are an enemy of the state. I'm fairly certain that is the definition of extremism, but what do I know, i'm just an idiot liberal.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options

not to mention she is a female person of color. typically not the kind of victim that makes the news.

i just wanted to add that i've been unfriended by nearly every cop and cop-supporter on social media after expressing my 'middle ground' opinion. there is a serious attitude, which you've seen expressed here, that if you do not support the nypd and its officers actions 100% you are an enemy of the state. I'm fairly certain that is the definition of extremism, but what do I know, i'm just an idiot liberal.

May I add you kind of get that reaction from people that get it when Police get assassinated. I Don't know or care what your" middle ground" opinion is, but if you have it in you to share it I am sure there will be plenty of people on here that will make you feel all warm a fuzzy again.

May I also suggest you might have wanted to keep your "middle ground" opinion to yourself from your Cop friends for at least a few days after the Families of the fallen officers have put their hero's in the ground. That definition is called class….

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    So I'm lacking class for saying that it's fucked up when anyone's life is cut short at the hand of another human being, and that all human lives have value, hence #alllivesmatter, but it's totally cool for an officer to declare it as an act of war and point out the actions of a sick fuck who travelled up here as evidence that all the protestors are violent thugs who are subhuman cuz they all want police dead?

there no accurate sweeping generalizations. there are a bunch of fucked up cops and bunch of fucked up civilians. just like there are an overwhelming majority of great cops and great civilians who are wonderful people - you know, cuz we're ALL people. There's no simple answer here, and there is no answer at all in the form of broad generalization. There should be no blind support of either civilians who are allegedly assaulted, nor should there be blind support for officers who've allegedly done the assaulting, and neither of them should have broad generalizations of their character made because "this guy is a cop so he's automatically right for doing his job/wrong cuz he's racist" nor "this guy was selling looseys so he's automatically right for minding his own business/wrong for doing something illegal" Nothing is black and white like that (no pun intended)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    So I'm lacking class for saying that it's fucked up when anyone's life is cut short at the hand of another human being, and that all human lives have value, hence #alllivesmatter, but it's totally cool for an officer to declare it as an act of war and point out the actions of a sick fuck who travelled up here as evidence that all the protestors are violent thugs who are subhuman cuz they all want police dead?

there no accurate sweeping generalizations. there are a bunch of fucked up cops and bunch of fucked up civilians. just like there are an overwhelming majority of great cops and great civilians who are wonderful people - you know, cuz we're ALL people. There's no simple answer here, and there is no answer at all in the form of broad generalization. There should be no blind support of either civilians who are allegedly assaulted, nor should there be blind support for officers who've allegedly done the assaulting, and neither of them should have broad generalizations of their character made because "this guy is a cop so he's automatically right for doing his job/wrong cuz he's racist" nor "this guy was selling looseys so he's automatically right for minding his own business/wrong for doing something illegal" Nothing is black and white like that (no pun intended)

These are great points (highlighted), Ident42. All or nothing, black and white, us against them is only useful if we are talking about an issue in a generalized sense. If were talking about racism or abuse or environmental degradation or genocide, it's pretty easy to take one side or another. It makes sense to say say racism is fucked, but it doesn't make sense to say everybody from Smith Flat Kentucky is a racist. If were talking about individuals- cops or citizens or finger picking guitar players- or a specific incident, it's more useful to look at that individual person or incident. Generalization leads to things like nationalism, jingoism, ethnocentricity, and other forms of narrow thinking.

This all reminds me of how I originally started the "good cops" thread to try to balance out the other "all cops are bad" type threads but the sense I get there now is too much generalizing. It became a pro-cop thread. That wasn't the point because not all cops are good just as not all cops are bad. So we can ditch my thread now as far as I'm concerned because the point went astray there.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

You might not have been lacking class, but your timing might have been better.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Great post

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

Hundreds get murdered every week. I'm sure in Baltimore this woman is more of the story, but nationally the story is the two cops and how it ties into all the recent protests and police shootings. Unfortunately most towns have their own domestic abuse situations to deal with that don't make national news.

• Options
    lets down play this .....after all it was race motivated killing and racist piece of shit blew his own brains out...maybe the familys of the victims can piss on his grave.

Godfather.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Gf, how do you see our society getting better? Getting past racism?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote: »
    Gf, how do you see our society getting better? Getting past racism?

one day at a time....and we still have many to go.

Godfather.

• Options
    Godfather. wrote: »
    lets down play this .....after all it was race motivated killing and racist piece of shit blew his own brains out...maybe the familys of the victims can piss on his grave.

Godfather.

so he shot his black girlfriend in the stomach because he was racist?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Godfather.

from what I hear the cop killing was revenge for the chocking death and for the Fergesen death...sounds a little racist to me.

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

from what I hear the cop killing was revenge for the chocking death and for the Fergesen death...sounds a little racist to me.

Godfather.

What I KNOW is this guy accidentally or purposefully shot his GF in the stomach that morning. Believing she was dying or dead then went to NY. I think its reasonable to assume he then came up with this fucked up plan. His family says he may have had mental health issues. And had tried to hang himself last year.

While I believe his actions to be inexcusable and horrific , we cant lose sight of the fact this was a human being that quite probably needed help. In NO way does this belief excuse his behavior but I do wonder what might have been done for him had he been receptive to help.

Lastly, ANY organization unwilling to consider that their actions have been wrong or fail to seek accountability for those wrong actions can go get fucked. Up to and including the federal government. No Police officer is FORCED to do that job. Lacking accountability, they are no better than the criminals the claim to want to protect the public at large from.

• Options
    Come on Godfather, you know better than that. It's never considered racism for the media's overall Agenda when the shoe is on the other foot. Plus they were just lowly Policeman, they are supposed to take bullets first before they can fight back according to many "community activist". Poor guys didn't even have a chance to get to their pistols before being assassinated. You should see the new Proposed "rules of engagement" for police officers the community activists in Chicago have layed out for our "city Leaders" to review for the "Protection of BLack and Brown lives".... Scarey times ahead in my urban-life city.
  • Options
    Come on Godfather, you know better than that. It's never considered racism for the media's overall Agenda when the shoe is on the other foot. Plus they were just lowly Policeman, they are supposed to take bullets first before they can fight back according to many "community activist". Poor guys didn't even have a chance to get to their pistols before being assassinated. You should see the new Proposed "rules of engagement" for police officers the community activists in Chicago have layed out for our "city Leaders" to review for the "Protection of BLack and Brown lives".... Scarey times ahead in my urban-life city.

so quit and get a job at another dept.