Options

I need to Vent.....

Comments

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

jervin007 said:

Can I also add to the list for people to stop naming their children after band members, or band members children for that matter? Jesus that is fucking creepy.

100% creepy
    Agreed. 100% creepy. Equally creepy is the pm-ing other members to bump their thread. Hadn't heard of that before I read njnancy's post. That's just wrong.
    I had never heard that before either. Never has happened to me, but thats messed up.

In the St. Paul setlist thread last night there was brief talk of a possibly pregnancy because of a photo that was posted. I immediately thought "wow, some over-obsessed fan is probably going to name their kid after that kid."

If I was Eddie (or any other member for that reason) I would build a moat to go with the wall around his house because some fans are just crazy.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited October 2014
    badbrains said:

jervin007 said:

Can I also add to the list for people to stop naming their children after band members, or band members children for that matter? Jesus that is fucking creepy.

100% creepy
    Absolutely.
    jervin007 said:

SD48277 said:

If I was Eddie (or any other member for that reason) I would build a moat to go with the wall around his house because some fans are just crazy.

That's what I was thinking.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    I agree it's annoying to see the porch filled with request threads though I'm sure the fact that the band seems to pay attention lately has only made this "problem" more prevalent. I was guilty myself of bumping the "bring the binaural to lincoln" thread though it wasn't for any dedication or sad/happy occasion I wanted it. I just wanted to hear those songs! And guess what? They played 3! I highly doubt it was due to that thread and likely just a coincidence but I was overjoyed to hear those songs! I agree a separate forum for requests might be in order. They will have to hire a full time employee to track and sort through that forum alone! I'd be willing to bet that the number of requests that get honored slow down a bit
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

jervin007 said:

100% creepy
    Agreed. 100% creepy. Equally creepy is the pm-ing other members to bump their thread. Hadn't heard of that before I read njnancy's post. That's just wrong.
    This Pming thing is wild! I'm still tripping over this. This place has officially gone to shit.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    badbrains said:

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

jervin007 said:

100% creepy
    This Pming thing is wild! I'm still tripping over this. This place has officially gone to shit.
    Naw, man....
    we gonna turn this place around.
    HALTS MAUL!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Next there will be auto bots bumping request threads... Some people are just plain ignorant.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

jervin007 said:

100% creepy
    No shit, man. What the hell? I can only imagine what my response would've been.

It's disappointing - in this place especially, where I think the majority are decent people - that a few who pull shit of all kinds muck it up for the rest.

No more, I say!

(in terms of my reaction to them)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760

brianlux said:

I'm getting my first Colonoscopy later this year. Please play... "Inside Job"? X_X

Around the Bend?
    Deep?
    Last Exit?
    I'm Open?
    Push Me, Pull Me?
    Sleight of Hand?
    Parting Ways?
    Thumbing my Way?
    1/2 Full?
    Blood?

:))

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    njnancy said:

I don't know if it's new members who are starting the request threads, but I've received PM's from people asking for me to please read their story and bump their thread. Being a member for about 6-7 months, I didn't know what was the appropriate thing to do. If you ignore the person then you feel like a douche. Most times I'd never 'spoken' to the person before and wasn't going to the show but saw they were getting support so if I didn't bump I felt like a douche. But after getting PM'ed numerous times, I just stopped feeling obligated to people and causes that I didn't know (unlike being directed to the Hannah Strong effort which was suggested in my first week and I'm grateful for getting to 'meet people' and show support for fellow fans who weren't asking for anything on their own.)

Sometimes us new people just don't know how things work and it's a learning experience.Once the requests got out of hand, I stopped feeling obligated and avoided them, esp. due to PM's which made me feel like I was dealing with high school peer pressure.

I think that this is one of the best threads I've read on here. Just know that all of us who weren't able to or lucky enough to join 10C when it started aren't all one uniform type person and if I'm here it's because I share a love for the band, their music and their activism. Like or dislike or be indifferent to each member (new or old or in between) on their own merits (or their number of colds since September :-\") instead of lumping 'new members' together and dismissing us or assigning all annoying forum actions to us. We're feeling our way around and are just like you when you first joined. Doesn't make all of us 'bad' fans or 'bad' forum members; everyone was new once.

Just some 'stuff and nonsense' from a newbie. Not expecting to have people 'throw their arms around me' nor put me 'down'; it may be 'hard to imagine' but 'all those yesterdays' are my 'present tense'. :)>-

I don't consider you a newbie, njnancy because you've posted often. Also, your posts have always been- from the get go- well thought out, well written and very sharp. I totally agree that the subject at hand is quite difference from threads like the one supporting Hannah Strong or others in need here. In fact, one of the strong allures to this site for me in the first place was seeing how open people here are to being supportive of others in great need.

But the "I need to have some plumbing done in my kitchen so please play Even Flow" type of threads are just taking up space. Thankfully, I've never been asked to bump this type of thread.

So basically, if someone has a serious problem or concern, I'm all ears. But if it's Johnny's third birthday or you broke a finger nail, I don't need to know.

And I hope you do keep posting, njnancy- it's always good to read your thoughts!

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    in all serious, please play jeremy tonight

i got shot 12 times in the face by ron jeremy. it would mean a lot thanks
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    nycrats said:

Perfect example. If you really got shot in the face and need aid for medical costs or therapy and someone starts up a thread to bring assistance and good empathy, I'm there. If you really expect us to read a request that the band play a song for any reason, that's just wasting our time here.

• Options
    nycrats said:

I hope to god you were wearing :-B or your face would've prob looked like this b-(
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    nycrats said:

Geesh. Least he could do was to give you a towel to wipe it off. 12 times holy shit??? You slut!!
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    badbrains said:

nycrats said:

I hope to god you were wearing :-B or your face would've prob looked like this b-(

Hahaha! Best use of new smilies EVER! \m/

• Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 567
    The arrogance of this whole thread is disgusting. "I'm the better fan, because I'm this or I'm that." Really? Why do you find it necessary to be better than someone else? We love this band and that is why we are here. Judging others on that love is really sad. Why? " The forum was better when it was just us" mentality is nostalgic but just as done as song requests.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSU said:

The arrogance of this whole thread is disgusting. "I'm the better fan, because I'm this or I'm that." Really? Why do you find it necessary to be better than someone else? We love this band and that is why we are here. Judging others on that love is really sad. Why? " The forum was better when it was just us" mentality is nostalgic but just as done as song requests.

Please cover Don't Cry from guns in roses for Yakimatsu.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSU said:

Where did anyone say that? Sorry you got that impression. Some of us are saying we don't see the purpose in cluttering up the forum that is most directly tied to Pearl Jam and their music with requests that only serve to take up space and have nothing to do with the band or the music or the PJ community as a whole. Ane hey, like njnancy said, were were all new here at one time. I for one am glad to see new members.

• Options
    badbrains said:

YAKIMATSU said:

1st "better" fan.
    That's just the point. I'm not crying. I have a legitimate comment and this is what you get. I would just prefer a happier forum that is much less judgemental of fans.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    badbrains said:

YAKIMATSU said:

=))
  • Options
    Better is implied. You are judging others behaviors and implying that you are better because you would not do that.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    YAKIMATSU said:

Better is implied. You are judging others behaviors and implying that you are better because you would not do that.

no we just think that song requests deserve their own section between The Porch and Given To Fly, then it would be easier for the band to find, instead of having to sift through all the stuff they do now, and many requests get missed because there is so much to sift through here, on the contrary, this would actually be more beneficial to people wanting their requests played, so smoke a joint and take a deep breath this was meant as a humor thread, sorry if you missed it
  • Options

YAKIMATSU said:

no we just think that song requests deserve their own section between The Porch and Given To Fly, then it would be easier for the band to find, instead of having to sift through all the stuff they do now, and many requests get missed because there is so much to sift through here, on the contrary, this would actually be more beneficial to people wanting their requests played, so smoke a joint and take a deep breath this was meant as a humor thread, sorry if you missed it
    BINGO!
  • Options
    Always taking it easy. Always 420. I get the humor and agree the suggestion for a new forum area is excellent. The judging process is where you lose me. Now the sticker situation, I think we can all judge that as shit.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Look at this guy. Just look! *******PLEASE PLAY BREAKERFALL OR THE END FOR THIS LITTLE GUY********
    Longueuil said:

Maybe one squirrel was in need...

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    between the song requests and the GA ticket demands, the board is tough to habitate.

Song requests are getting particularly bad. The band set a precedent, and now many are looking for the validations from the band.
    YAKIMATSU said:

Sorry you get that vibe. I dont register that point of view.

People love new members. Its just when people seem to activate and post only to cultivate and bump threads for GA Tickets and song requests that is annoying.
  • Options

Look at this guy. Just look! *******PLEASE PLAY BREAKERFALL OR THE END FOR THIS LITTLE GUY********

Longueuil said:

What is it about squirrels and nuts anyway?

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

Longueuil said:

:))

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited October 2014
    njnancy said:

I don't know if it's new members who are starting the request threads, but I've received PM's from people asking for me to please read their story and bump their thread. Being a member for about 6-7 months, I didn't know what was the appropriate thing to do. If you ignore the person then you feel like a douche. Most times I'd never 'spoken' to the person before and wasn't going to the show but saw they were getting support so if I didn't bump I felt like a douche. But after getting PM'ed numerous times, I just stopped feeling obligated to people and causes that I didn't know (unlike being directed to the Hannah Strong effort which was suggested in my first week and I'm grateful for getting to 'meet people' and show support for fellow fans who weren't asking for anything on their own.)

Sometimes us new people just don't know how things work and it's a learning experience.Once the requests got out of hand, I stopped feeling obligated and avoided them, esp. due to PM's which made me feel like I was dealing with high school peer pressure.

I think that this is one of the best threads I've read on here. Just know that all of us who weren't able to or lucky enough to join 10C when it started aren't all one uniform type person and if I'm here it's because I share a love for the band, their music and their activism. Like or dislike or be indifferent to each member (new or old or in between) on their own merits (or their number of colds since September :-\") instead of lumping 'new members' together and dismissing us or assigning all annoying forum actions to us. We're feeling our way around and are just like you when you first joined. Doesn't make all of us 'bad' fans or 'bad' forum members; everyone was new once.

Just some 'stuff and nonsense' from a newbie. Not expecting to have people 'throw their arms around me' nor put me 'down'; it may be 'hard to imagine' but 'all those yesterdays' are my 'present tense'. :)>-

Unless I know them and like them (although I don't think anyone I've known and liked has done anything like this), I ignore these messages. I think it's inappropriate for THEM to be sending such messages to other members. I've received a bunch of these PMs!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I guess the true humor of this thread is lost on everyone. The hypocrisy of a thread started to judge other fans or to ask to have to have those fans separated from you based upon the ugly stalker like way you believe (demonstrated in many scenarios') they are behaving. I guess having thousands of posts on a PJ forum would be the appropriate judge of a stalker of a band.
    Old saying, "takes one to know one".
    Maybe we need another section in the forum for all you thousand and up posters. You can be as mean and degrading to other human beings as much as you want on there. The arrogance that you know how the band/Ed feel about this and that is what is truly sad. Are you tight with them or is that just in your head? " Ed is so sick of this and that, I can tell because he coughed", really?
    If you want to call this thread humor, go ahead, if that makes it easier for you to not dignify just how truly bitter and judgmental you are towards people that are just trying to express some sort of connection to the band.
    Just a quick question. Is it ok to be whatever Pearl Jam fan that we want to be?
    You can give Ed's take too if he's available.
    Post edited by YAKIMATSU on
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    YAKIMATSU said:

I guess the true humor of this thread is lost on everyone. The hypocrisy of a thread started to judge other fans or to ask to have to have those fans separated from you based upon the ugly stalker like way you believe (demonstrated in many scenarios') they are behaving. I guess having thousands of posts on a PJ forum would be the appropriate judge of a stalker of a band.
    Old saying, "takes one to know one".
    Maybe we need another section in the forum for all you thousand and up posters. You can be as mean and degrading to other human beings as much as you want on there. The arrogance that you know how the band/Ed feel about this and that is what is truly sad. Are you tight with them or is that just in your head? " Ed is so sick of this and that, I can tell because he coughed", really?
    If you want to call this thread humor, go ahead, if that makes it easier for you to not dignify just how truly bitter and judgmental you are towards people that are just trying to express some sort of connection to the band.
    Just a quick question. Is it ok to be whatever Pearl Jam fan that we want to be?
    You can give Ed's take to if he's available.

There may be one or two posts that are judgemental. That's not to bad in a thread with 9 pages. I'm not really sure what you're offended by, but 90% of this thread is sarcastic and meant ONLY for laughs.
This discussion has been closed.