Options

I need to Vent.....

Comments

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    YAKIMATSU said:

I guess the true humor of this thread is lost on everyone. The hypocrisy of a thread started to judge other fans or to ask to have to have those fans separated from you based upon the ugly stalker like way you believe (demonstrated in many scenarios') they are behaving. I guess having thousands of posts on a PJ forum would be the appropriate judge of a stalker of a band.
    Old saying, "takes one to know one".
    Maybe we need another section in the forum for all you thousand and up posters. You can be as mean and degrading to other human beings as much as you want on there. The arrogance that you know how the band/Ed feel about this and that is what is truly sad. Are you tight with them or is that just in your head? " Ed is so sick of this and that, I can tell because he coughed", really?
    If you want to call this thread humor, go ahead, if that makes it easier for you to not dignify just how truly bitter and judgmental you are towards people that are just trying to express some sort of connection to the band.
    Just a quick question. Is it ok to be whatever Pearl Jam fan that we want to be?
    You can give Ed's take too if he's available.

it was dripping with sarcasm from the get go, but everybody just went with it to see how sarcastic they could be, who could outdo the next person, nothing but fun, everything will be okay, we all need laughs and this thread has provided plenty of them
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 567

YAKIMATSU said:

I guess the true humor of this thread is lost on everyone. The hypocrisy of a thread started to judge other fans or to ask to have to have those fans separated from you based upon the ugly stalker like way you believe (demonstrated in many scenarios') they are behaving. I guess having thousands of posts on a PJ forum would be the appropriate judge of a stalker of a band.
    Maybe we need another section in the forum for all you thousand and up posters. You can be as mean and degrading to other human beings as much as you want on there. The arrogance that you know how the band/Ed feel about this and that is what is truly sad. Are you tight with them or is that just in your head? " Ed is so sick of this and that, I can tell because he coughed", really?
    If you want to call this thread humor, go ahead, if that makes it easier for you to not dignify just how truly bitter and judgmental you are towards people that are just trying to express some sort of connection to the band.
    Just a quick question. Is it ok to be whatever Pearl Jam fan that we want to be?
    You can give Ed's take to if he's available.

There may be one or two posts that are judgemental. That's not to bad in a thread with 9 pages. I'm not really sure what you're offended by, but 90% of this thread is sarcastic and meant ONLY for laughs.
    You're right. I overreacted to this particular thread but, I based it on reading many of these same comments in many other threads(strangely, mainly the same posters). I think the peer pressure ridiculing has really turned a lot of would be forum fans off. The old posters seem to act like the old people with the kids playing on there lawn in the summer. It's easier, physically and mentally, to not react at all. Realize that the tour will be over soon and you can have your lawn/forum back.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    YAKIMATSU said:

When I first started posting here I didn't quite understand the vibe (which could partly be a generational thing for me). Then, after a while, I began to see that what so often seemed like nasty comments to me were just little jabs meant in jest. The real trolls and haters stand out and they are few and generally don't stick around. Really, pretty much the vast majority of folks here are good people having a good time who are often also supportive and caring. Relax, friend. We're here to have a good time.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    From the amount of requests that seem to have been honored, it got me thinking. I guess it's possible the band actually does have someone paying attention. Maybe they are really just trying to shake it up? How many times can you crank out the hits without getting bored as hell? What if they just want to play different stuff to appease people that support them? I guess we could start a new debate, is the band wrong for wanting to play what ten club members want to hear? I probably wouldn't start a request but I don't think they are going away anytime soon.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636

From the amount of requests that seem to have been honored, it got me thinking. I guess it's possible the band actually does have someone paying attention. Maybe they are really just trying to shake it up? How many times can you crank out the hits without getting bored as hell? What if they just want to play different stuff to appease people that support them? I guess we could start a new debate, is the band wrong for wanting to play what ten club members want to hear? I probably wouldn't start a request but I don't think they are going away anytime soon.

Exactly
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    edited October 2014

Would you agree that it makes sense to have either a separate forum segment called "Fan Requests" or at least just ONE thread called "Fan Requests"?

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    brianlux said:

Would you agree that it makes sense to have either a separate forum segment called "Fane Requests" or at least just ONE thread called "Fan Requests"?

Oh absolutely. I agree they clog up the porch, along with ticket threads and merch debates. That being said, please play Get Right dedicated to all the jerks in the car pool lane who do less than the speed limit. Special place in hell for those fuckers.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

brianlux said:

Would you agree that it makes sense to have either a separate forum segment called "Fane Requests" or at least just ONE thread called "Fan Requests"?

Oh absolutely. I agree they clog up the porch, along with ticket threads and merch debates. That being said, please play Get Right dedicated to all the jerks in the car pool lane who do less than the speed limit. Special place in hell for those fuckers.
    I hate those bastards... almost got in an accident once because of these people.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    brianlux said:

Why? Scrolling, scrolling, that's such a big problem? I wish I had your life.
    Category suggestions: 1. Fan Requests
    2. The true fans (for 1000 and up posts)

• Options
    lolobugg said:

brianlux said:

Would you agree that it makes sense to have either a separate forum segment called "Fan Requests" or at least just ONE thread called "Fan Requests"?

I hate those bastards... almost got in an accident once because of these people.
    +1

I think they should call it the Car Pool All Speed lane. Everybody in that lane haul ass or get out of the way!

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

brianlux said:

+1. Completely agree.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    YAKIMATSU said:

brianlux said:

Haha. It isn't difficult, but there are so many of them now. Maybe it's time for their own place on the board.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Request never really bothered me on here but now that people are voicing their opinions on the # of song request It seems people are being dicks and posting random requests just to get under peoples skin.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    YAKIMATSU said:

brianlux said:

Its not only that... you see them. If I'm going to a show, I don't like to have any expectations/knowledge of what will or might be played. I peaked at a set-list before a show and it really put a damper on things and there were a few songs I would have gone nuts for if they were "surprises".

So say Im going to a show and there is a big campaign someone started to play Fatal for xxx, a song that I like, and based on recent history, there is a good chance they will play it. Also a few other requests. I pretty much know 5 songs not on the typical "rotation" that they will play ahead of time.

It has just grown a bit out of control too IMO. Just counted 15 threads on the front page here requesting some sort of action out of the band.

Its not an issue of # of posts or anything.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    YAKIMATSU said:

Wtf dude? I don't even know where this is coming from, but you just insulted a whole bunch of people here for no apparent reason, and so pretty much contradicted the point I think you may be trying to make.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    :-t so you're saying that I need 1000 posts to be included in a special section?? Dammit!! I thought being a member 9 yrs was good enough. guess I'll have to keeping scrolling thru all the bullshit. :-??
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    It only got out of control because it worked. The band looked on the forum and played requests. That is fucking awesome! Until the band asks us to stop, why would we? Do you prefer a band that does not respond to fans? Are you jealous that you didn't try it years ago? We as fans have a conduit to the band through these forum boards, apparently. Again, that is fucking awesome! Deeming one request worthy over another or no requests at all is not your job. Apparently, the band has taken time to scroll through the forum and not say stop it. Fuck, everyone going and putting in there own personal requests on this board and totally shutting it down would fucking rule. Being adored by there fans from a distance vs limiting the voice of the fans.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    so how would a special section for requests prevent requests?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

YAKIMATSU said:

Wtf dude? I don't even know where this is coming from, but you just insulted a whole bunch of people here for no apparent reason, and so pretty much contradicted the point I think you may be trying to make.
    so true, when he admitted earlier 2 or 3 posts out of the hundreds have in some way offended him in some way, so that means the other 99% are okay, but obviously can't see how nitpicky that is or comes across, no one in here is perfect, I know I am far from it, but really condemning everyone for so little when most of what you are saying is incoherent, maybe you should go over the entire thread and see where this conversation had evolved to before you came in, I think you will rethink your choice of words
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    Some of us have bumped some of the request threads plenty of times. Some of the requests are genuine for personal tragedies or memorials to loved ones. But to requests songs cause you personally have not heard it live, or its your favorite song... WTF!! This is the bullshit that needs to stop.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    YAKIMATSU said:

Fuck, everyone going and putting in there own personal requests on this board and totally shutting it down would fucking rule.

I think BB is gonna accomplish this.
    HALTS MAUL!!!!!
    =))

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    You have to keep in mind my thousands of posts began in 2001. Hahaha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Some of us have bumped some of the request threads plenty of times. Some of the requests are genuine for personal tragedies or memorials to loved ones. But to requests songs cause you personally have not heard it live, or its your favorite song... WTF!! This is the bullshit that needs to stop.

please play red mosquito because I just killed one
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I would put my money on the band has the mods show them the threads that they feel needs attention from the band.
  • Options

PP193448 said:

please play red mosquito because I just killed one
    or Bugs??
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    jervin007 said:

Can I also add to the list for people to stop naming their children after band members, or band members children for that matter? Jesus that is fucking creepy.

1000000000%. Creepy. And pets too
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Has anyone named their kid Boom??
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    edited October 2014
    PP193448 said:

Is he an "official" member?
    My kids initials spell out jjaam. Does that count for anything?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited October 2014
    YAKIMATSU said:

It only got out of control because it worked. The band looked on the forum and played requests. That is fucking awesome! Until the band asks us to stop, why would we? Do you prefer a band that does not respond to fans? Are you jealous that you didn't try it years ago? We as fans have a conduit to the band through these forum boards, apparently. Again, that is fucking awesome! Deeming one request worthy over another or no requests at all is not your job. Apparently, the band has taken time to scroll through the forum and not say stop it. Fuck, everyone going and putting in there own personal requests on this board and totally shutting it down would fucking rule. Being adored by there fans from a distance vs limiting the voice of the fans.

I think the main issue is just that they need a dedicated place for them to go so that The Porch, which is meant for discussion about the band and their music, isn't just packed full of song requests. Those don't encourage band discussion or anything. It's kind of dissuading people from chatting about other things on The Porch or bumping discussions so deep that no one ever sees those threads. If the requests had their own home I don't think anyone would mind at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

no I thought I heard someone named their kind Stone Vedder with Vedder as the middle name
This discussion has been closed.