Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    not sure if this was talked about before - it's been a few months since i've visited thy holy yield thread.

so my friend and i have this discussion frequently about the awesomeness of faithfull...

you know how almost all other #2 tracks are really similar? so similar in fact that when WWS came out, it was predicted to be track #2...so where does faithfull fit in as #2? it doesn't...and i think that's part of the beauty of it.

i see Ishmael in the whole album, but almost none more than in faithfull. and i forget - is 'faithfull' spelled with 2 L's on the album? it is right? but faithful, is really spelled with 1 L. nice move - we are so full of 'faith' that we are missing what's really going on in our world.

and i always thought the "furry thing" was a direct reference to Ishmael himself...

"like echoes, nobody hears, it goes, it goes, it goes..."

just my 2 cents today :)
    it's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    svenstephy wrote:
    not sure if this was talked about before - it's been a few months since i've visited thy holy yield thread.

so my friend and i have this discussion frequently about the awesomeness of faithfull...

you know how almost all other #2 tracks are really similar? so similar in fact that when WWS came out, it was predicted to be track #2...so where does faithfull fit in as #2? it doesn't...and i think that's part of the beauty of it.

i see Ishmael in the whole album, but almost none more than in faithfull. and i forget - is 'faithfull' spelled with 2 L's on the album? it is right? but faithful, is really spelled with 1 L. nice move - we are so full of 'faith' that we are missing what's really going on in our world.

and i always thought the "furry thing" was a direct reference to Ishmael himself...

"like echoes, nobody hears, it goes, it goes, it goes..."

just my 2 cents today :)

Love the input!

I've thought before about the extra L perhaps being the "game controls that keep us in a box of fear" being full of sh*t. We don't listen to them and keep faith in the world/higher power so strong as to be FULL of faith.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    mAjLrAepmAjLrAep Posts: 72
    here's some love to all my fellow YIELD lovers who were a part of the

~ * ~ * 12/7/03: Long live YIELD night!! * ~ * ~

greatest night ever. :) xoxo

i've got scratches all over my arms....one for each day since i fell apart. i did what i had to do....if there was a reason, it was you...
  • Options
    mAjLrAep wrote:

Wow, that's old school. Very first YIELD night.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    mAjLrAep wrote:

I am in awe. Thing is, even only 100-something posts, I remember you b/c of you signature. Kick ass.

That night was crazy. The spontanaiety of that night was something else.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    I am in awe. Thing is, even only 100-something posts, I remember you b/c of you signature. Kick ass.

'Twas the night that started it all.

YIELD on...
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:

ohhhh fanch!!!! i totally remember you, too! honestly, i haven't been on this site for a good 2 or 3 years. i get so addicted and stay on for hours it's crazy so i had to stop. i logged back on b/c of all the MSG tix drama (thankfully, i got tix for both shows). :) are you going??

so happy you remember me too...hope all is well! :) and i'll try to be on here more to keep in touch.

i've got scratches all over my arms....one for each day since i fell apart. i did what i had to do....if there was a reason, it was you...
  • Options
    'Twas the night that started it all.

YIELD on...

hell yea, man! what a great memory. :) just proves that PJ fans are the BEST!!!

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    you know yield is the best when it's OUT OF STOCK on the goods page :D
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    This album changed my life.....that to me is a big thing.....

I love it.....my favourite pearl jam album.....and that's a tough thing to call lets face it.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    This album changed my life.....that to me is a big thing.....

Ditto here. There are three albums that changed me, musically, and YIELD is one of them.
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    My favorite album from these guys. Such a variety of tracks. Hard rockers (Brain of J., DTE, Pilate), fantastic riffs (Faithfull, Given To Fly, No Way, ATY), unappreciated songs like Low Light and MFC, and of course, In Hiding. I give In Hiding it's own category because...well, it's just perfect.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    Yield is a great album, love it.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    of course, In Hiding. I give In Hiding it's own category because...well, it's just perfect.

You and Wally will get along just fine. :D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    You and Wally will get along just fine. :D

PBM

Good to know. Getting to hear In Hiding at ER 2 in 06 was amazing. I think I was more surprised by how many people in the crowd knew it. Some of the versions of that song in 03 are just spectacular.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    YIELD songs are a rarity these days unless it's Wishlist, GTF or DTE.

Lowlight was a nice surprise in Chicago '06. Sadly, I don't think it translates well in a live arena setting, but it was great to see them perform it.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    YIELD songs are a rarity these days unless it's Wishlist, GTF or DTE.

Lowlight was a nice surprise in Chicago '06. Sadly, I don't think it translates well in a live arena setting, but it was great to see them perform it.

PBM
    Nice to see this thread hasn't been deleted yet!
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    There are very few albums that move me, emotionally. In fact, I make fun of people who go on and on about hwo they are "moved" by music. Well, YIELD moves me. That's how incredible this album is.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    yield rocks!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    MikeLammi23MikeLammi23 Posts: 109
    fanch75 wrote:
    There are very few albums that move me, emotionally. In fact, I make fun of people who go on and on about hwo they are "moved" by music. Well, YIELD moves me. That's how incredible this album is.

Same for me. I have many albums that I like, really like, and love. But not any other one moves me like Yield does. I can not imagine it not being a part of my life!
    10c #TBD

"They said timing was everything, made him want to be everywhere,...there's a lot to be said for nowhere."
    "Let them wash away,... all those yesterdays."

09/10/98, 08/23/00, 08/24/00, 08/25/00, 04/30/03, 07/09/03, 07/14/03, 06/01/06, 06/03/06, 06/24/08, 06/25/08
  • Options
    Glad to see this thread still on page one.

There was a time when this thread rarely dropped out of sight.

PBM

• Options
    PBM, you're damn lucky to have seen Lowlight. God, I LOVE that song. However, I do agree with you about the fact that it may not translate well live. I don't think anything beats the Gorge 05 version though.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Jumping in all late:

I remember hearing on the radio that Pearl Jam was putting out a new record and that it was taking them back to their "rock roots." That was great news to me because being only 16, I had not really appreciated "No Code" yet and was eager for the good old Pearl Jam. A few months later, I found myself at Walmart fingering through the CDs and I accidentally found "Yield". I bought it never having ever heard a single and when I finally listened to it, it wasn't what I expected. Brain of J, kinda reminded me of Vitalogy so it was headed in the right direction. Then the rest of the songs started playing and I felt really confused. This wasn't the old Pearl Jam, but it did rock pretty hard. Yield was quite a curiosity, it was strange to me but I couldn't stop playing it. After maybe 6 months of listening to it, I realized I still had that No Code cd, and started listening to it and it was like an epiphany, I finally understood.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    1 Word

Faithfull
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    1 Word

Faithfull

Such an amazing song. Got to hear that in Philly in 05.
    Some fantastic writing in that song.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    PBM, you're damn lucky to have seen Lowlight. God, I LOVE that song. However, I do agree with you about the fact that it may not translate well live. I don't think anything beats the Gorge 05 version though.

I will say that the Benaroya Hall version does the song justice...a better setting for that song.

PBM

• Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    brain of j is such a cool song though
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    Such an amazing song. Got to hear that in Philly in 05.
    Some fantastic writing in that song.

I have to put this out there, I play this song everywhere, I coach a u-8 girls competitive soccer team, I have a website for the girls, the cover page song is faithfull, the girls all love it, every person I turn onto that song loves it.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Got to hear that in Philly in 05.

Fuckin' A.

I agree with NoWayImFaithfull re: the tune FAITHFULL. Anyone who hears it, loves it. I'm talking non-PJ folks, here.
  • Options
    I will say that the Benaroya Hall version does the song justice...a better setting for that song.

PBM

I was going to say that, but I chose Gorge 05...but yes, you are absolutely right, Benaroya is a great setting for that song.

By the way, am I the only one who wants to see Pilate live?

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.