Yield

Comments

• memememe Posts: 4,695
    RockKing wrote:
    By the way, where has our friend distantsun been all week? She should be a part of this discussion, too.

I think she's trying to avoid all meme frequented places in cyberspace.
    It's just not a good idea to sit beside me when PJ related stuff is shown or performed.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Lemme listen to this trilogy in order and write something up big this weekend.

I can't really fuck around during the day at this job, so....

RK, I see what you are going for with this, but I will come at it with an open mind.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Yield is awesome!
    My second Fav. album right behind No Code

Faithfull is great, Pilate is cool. The three best songs in a row are found on Yield. (MFC, Low Light, In Hiding). Great album from a great year.
    1996: Hartford
    1998: Hartford
    2000: Boston #1
    2003: Albany, Unionville, Boston #2, Camden #1, NYC (MSG #1), Hershey
    2004: Reading, PA (Vote For a Change Tour)
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston #1,
  • CTPJFan wrote:
    Yield is awesome!
    My second Fav. album right behind No Code

Faithfull is great, Pilate is cool. The three best songs in a row are found on Yield. (MFC, Low Light, In Hiding). Great album from a great year.

Yes, young wise one. We call this the Natty Light trilogy. For explanation, please ask Fanch.

:D
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    There's a point in the movie when Alexander Supertramp tells an old guy:

"what are you running from?"

I thought of likepilateihaveadog :)

It's a fantastic movie. We'll talk more about it when you see it, Rockking.
    When is it coming out in Columbus? I want to get tickets for a friend for her birthday...
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Every time I play Yeild it reminds me of a car trip me and some friends took up to the city one year. We sung the whole way!!

Fave song would have to be Faithfull or Pilate. Or All Those Yesterdays, or Low Light...AH HELL the whole fricken CD is awesome :)
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • meme wrote:
    There's a point in the movie when Alexander Supertramp tells an old guy:

"what are you running from?"

I thought of likepilateihaveadog :)

It's a fantastic movie. We'll talk more about it when you see it, Rockking.
    When is it coming out in Columbus? I want to get tickets for a friend for her birthday...

I guess that would make me think of Ashton Kutcher, but that's a story for another day.

• Re: Into the Wild > No Code > YIELD

I like this trilogy, especially how it seems to mature at each stage.

I'm seeing it as the growth of an individual from the impulsive to the introspective to the sagacious. Into the Wild gives us that sheer impetuous escapist viewpoint - of completely cutting ties and disappearing. No Code brings in the Present Tense aspect, certainly Smile and Off He Goes also fit the idea of confusion and turning points.

However, I never liked No Code that much because the flow just stinks. Sometimes>Hail, Hail>Who You Are works. All of those songs I like. In My Tree...I just don't get that one. I don't like it. Seems too much like a Vitalogy hold over.

Smile>Off He Goes, very clutch. Again, I think we see Ed's second question here. If we count escape as one, the second must be friendship. Wishlist obviously comes to mind as well -- I guess things like Daughter and Betterman also fit this mold of friendship/familial relationships.

Habit is another friend song, but as with Red Mosquito and Lukin, I could do without them.

Present Tense just might be my favorite PJ song, but that's a story for another day.

Mankind blows.

I'm Open can go either way. If I'm in the mood, great. If not, another Vitalogy wannabe.

Around the Bend it great. I mean, it was written for the MJI's kids for Christ's sake.

That said...I can't personally listen to No Code as an album. I have to skip certain tracks. I do like the strangeness of it, the questioning nature, the insecurities, but I think it's a weak effort overall.

Into the Wild presents an ultimate view of the world: "I need to leave."
    Yield, in a similar vein, also proclaims a particular stance, which is to YIELD ...and we've discussed this in great detail previously.

However, I personally can't pin one thread of though to No Code. As RK wrote, this is its appeal....and it is how it works in this trilogy, but I just can't wrap my own brain around it enough to make sense of it as a whole.

In many ways for me, the new record is enticing to plug in here because of the questions raised by Life Wasted/Parachutes/Gone/Army Reserve/Come Back and Inside Job. But, the catch there are the political songs that pull the record out of the greater philosophical discussion and into the contemporary political climate.

The moral of the story is: Into the Wild shows the first stage - what our initial reactions are to crisis and despair. (Again, I must note that the direction of the music was related to the action on screen and the story unfolding there....so this is how I'm choosing to twist it) YIELD, as we know, is the synthesis of many minds coming together to find resolution, to work together for the common good, to give it all to get a little.

What does No Code do? It jumps all over the place, it makes assumptions, it revels in the present, it goes on a psychotic binge. I can see how the YIELD theory arises from this, but I just can't listen to it.

(That's like, your opinion, man)
  • We can talk about YIELD again...
    my point is just that No Code is no YIELD.

;)
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Wow, sorry Will, I just now saw this. That's a lot to take in, but I don't really totally disagree with you. I've said since it came out that No Code is fatally flawed. I fucking HATE the track sequence more than any other album out there I think. It makes no sense whatsoever. The themes of the album are all over place. It doesn't always make sense lyrically. It's just a mess...a train wreck of an album.

I guess where we differ, though, is that for some reason that ordered chaos kinda turns me on. That conflict and anxiety that I get from it....I dunno, I really like it, especially when I have YIELD there to follow up. I think in retrospect, what I'm sort of saying is that I think YIELD actually makes No Code BETTER. I hated No Code when it came out. I just did. But after YIELD came out, I was able to go back and suddenly it clicked and I felt like I understood what was so urgent and neccessary about No Code. And now, it really is my 2nd favorite PJ album for that very reason.....well, that, and MJI, of course.

Regardless, I'm glad you gave the trilogy a shot. Like I said originally, it's not going to be for everyone. It just happens to make a world of sense to me.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    return....
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Thought this might be a good time to bump this thread.

Discussions. Begin.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    In Hiding was the best song played at the Vic and IMO the best live song I have ever heard
  • Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    jlew24asu wrote:
    In Hiding was the best song played at the Vic and IMO the best live song I have ever heard
    In Hiding at the Vic was indeed amazing. It's easily one of PJ's best songs.

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/devilledbetter/PJ%20Vic/?action=view&current=6800932c.flv
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Bump.

Just cause...it's YIELD!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dzjOXidORYg
  • Bumpin' this thread since it's been more than a month.

And here's a NO WAY video....with forks. ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-5ON-OfTqg&feature=related
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • jlew24asu wrote:

Ugggggh, wish I could have been there.

Thanks 10c, for the great tick....boot....uhhh....never mind.
  • I can't believe that YIELD will be 10 years old in february! Who's organizing the listening party?? :)
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • I can't believe that YIELD will be 10 years old in february! Who's organizing the listening party?? :)

Preparations are under way. Still can't get a hold of Jack's management though.
  • Preparations are under way. Still can't get a hold of Jack's management though.
    Action? Jack?
  • RockKing wrote:
    but I don't really totally disagree with you.

Taking lessons from Dan Dierdorf, huh?

;)
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    have to say SVT is my fav Pearl Jam DVD and PJ era if you like.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    LOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHTLOW LIGHT
    isisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisisithethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethetheth
    shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    I'm listening to Brain of J at Newcastle 06 right now simply supurb!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Lowlight is the shit, I agree

My fav from Yield

Got to experience if live in 2006 :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Where the love affair with Pearl Jam began for me when it was released a month before my 14th birthday.....

Still my personal fave after all these years.....

Given To Fly is the song that got me into them, it still moves me in the same way.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Giving this thread a friendly bump for 2008. A reminder that as we close in on YIELD's 10th birthday on 2/3/8, we will be posting details about YIELD Night VI. We are doing a YIELD night, right??

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I love Yield. My first PJ CD. the one that turned me into a die-hard Jammer.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    LongRd. wrote:
    I love Yield. My first PJ CD. the one that turned me into a die-hard Jammer.

I always find it fascinating when people say YIELD is the album that got them into PJ. Had you never heard them before YIELD, or was there just something about YIELD that drew you in more than the earlier stuff?

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    RockKing wrote:
    I always find it fascinating when people say YIELD is the album that got them into PJ. Had you never heard them before YIELD, or was there just something about YIELD that drew you in more than the earlier stuff?
    I was only 15 when Yield came out and raised by a single mom. I was poor as hell. But I always like PJ's singles on the radio.

I honestly think I had about 7 or 8 tapes during my early-mid '90's, and their Appetite For Destruction, Rollings Band, AIC's Tripod self titled, and obvious Dookie & Smash, Green Day & Offspring were huge in '94-'95.

Once I got a job, bought a CD player and BOOM!, Yield was the first one I devoted my hard earned money to. I think it's because their were the only "Grunge" band left. Nirvana was no more, Soundgarden just broke up, and AIC (well, Layne had issues).

...and I was addicted since.

That's my Yield story. hehe :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009