Yield

Comments

• RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    LongRd. wrote:
    I was only 15 when Yield came out and raised by a single mom. I was poor as hell. But I always like PJ's singles on the radio.

I honestly think I had about 7 or 8 tapes during my early-mid '90's, and their Appetite For Destruction, Rollings Band, AIC's Tripod self titled, and obvious Dookie & Smash, Green Day & Offspring were huge in '94-'95.

Once I got a job, bought a CD player and BOOM!, Yield was the first one I devoted my hard earned money to. I think it's because their were the only "Grunge" band left. Nirvana was no more, Soundgarden just broke up, and AIC (well, Layne had issues).

...and I was addicted since.

That's my Yield story. hehe :D

I gotcha. Very cool. We all have our PJ stories. I tend to find them interesting, particularly if they involve YIELD. Especially because that means you got to experience No Code after YIELD, which really changes a lot of perceptions of both albums. Cool stuff.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    RockKing wrote:
    I gotcha. Very cool. We all have our PJ stories. I tend to find them interesting, particularly if they involve YIELD. Especially because that means you got to experience No Code after YIELD, which really changes a lot of perceptions of both albums. Cool stuff.
    I think Jack Irons had a major influenced when he joined the band. I think in a way, he brought "maturity" and "diversity" to their music.

A lot of people always put No Code & Yield side by side as a companion album, sort to speak. Yeah, so Jack brought a lot to the band than just the drum kit, you can see the difference in their lyrics and music.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    LongRd. wrote:
    I think Jack Irons had a major influenced when he joined the band. I think in a way, he brought "maturity" and "diversity" to their music.

A lot of people always put No Code & Yield side by side as a companion album, sort to speak. Yeah, so Jack brought a lot to the band than just the drum kit, you can see the difference in their lyrics and music.

I routinely listen to No Code and YIELD back-to-back. It's my preferred way of listening to them. To me, they make perfect sense in tandem. Kind of a whole yin-yang thing.

I couldn't agree more with your Jack Irons point, though. Whether it was intentional or not, when Jack was around there was a certain attention paid to details involving the songs themselves that sometimes is lacking on the other albums just a bit. For sure, an argument could be made for Jack being the most important member of PJ during his tenure.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    RockKing wrote:
    I routinely listen to No Code and YIELD back-to-back. It's my preferred way of listening to them. To me, they make perfect sense in tandem. Kind of a whole yin-yang thing.

I couldn't agree more with your Jack Irons point, though. Whether it was intentional or not, when Jack was around there was a certain attention paid to details involving the songs themselves that sometimes is lacking on the other albums just a bit. For sure, an argument could be made for Jack being the most important member of PJ during his tenure.

Yeah, I totally agree. It seems like after Jack left it became more of Eddie's band. More political, more punk, whereas, the first 5 was a Pearl Jam collaboration.

Ten, Vs. Vitalogy = Musically guidance by Stone, Jeff & Mike.
    No Code & Yield = Inspirited by Jack Irons.
    post-Yield = Influenced by Eddie's politics & punk music.

just my opinion. (I'd love to have an interview or chit chat with Eddie & the boys to see if my theories are correct) :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    LongRd. wrote:
    Yeah, I totally agree. It seems like after Jack left it became more of Eddie's band. More political, more punk, whereas, the first 5 was a Pearl Jam collaboration.

just my opinion. (I'd love to have an interview or chit chat with Eddie & the boys to see if my theories are correct) :D

you may be right. but even though jack added great texture and detail during his time, i think pearl jam sound better live with dave or matt, preferably matt. then again, yield is pearl jam's best album, and no code is tied in second with binaural. IMO anyway.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
    you may be right. but even though jack added great texture and detail during his time, i think pearl jam sound better live with dave or matt, preferably matt. then again, yield is pearl jam's best album, and no code is tied in second with binaural. IMO anyway.

Yeah, there's no way it's coincidence that Jack Irons sat in the throne for PJ's 2 best albums. But I disagree with you about live performances. Matt is my least favorite live PJ drummer. I think he plays all the songs way to fast. I think Dave A was by far the best live drummer, and then Jack 2nd.

• RockKing wrote:
    Yeah, there's no way it's coincidence that Jack Irons sat in the throne for PJ's 2 best albums.

It would be interesting to see what another album with Jack would yield. Sometimes you get stuck in a rut, then someone brings new ideas into the fold and you create something unique.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    It would be interesting to see what another album with Jack would yield. Sometimes you get stuck in a rut, then someone brings new ideas into the fold and you create something unique.

PBM

I think the word that comes to mind to describe the songs PJ made with MJI is 'focused'. Those 2 albums are so freaking focused. To me, that's why they stick so well with me. It makes them easier to connect to as a whole album. I have to believe that a new album with MJI back would bring back that focus again.

• RockKing wrote:
    I think the word that comes to mind to describe the songs PJ made with MJI is 'focused'. Those 2 albums are so freaking focused. To me, that's why they stick so well with me. It makes them easier to connect to as a whole album. I have to believe that a new album with MJI back would bring back that focus again.

So, it's kind of like your dad coming home and asking, "Why the hell isn't the house clean" and you say, "Because I was up stairs playing video games".

Clean house damn it.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

So, it's kind of like your dad coming home and asking, "Why the hell isn't the house clean" and you say, "Because I was up stairs playing video games".

Clean house damn it.

PBM

Straight outta the book of MJI.

• Also, let me clarify:

I wouldn't want to expect something exactly like YIELD or No Code.

Push forward.

PBM

Also, let me clarify:

I wouldn't want to expect something exactly like YIELD or No Code.

Push forward.

PBM

That's an important footnote. I agree. When I say 'focus', I don't mean make the same thing you did before.....but I think when you are more focused, it makes it easier to push forward and make something new. I mean, for all their similarities, No Code and YIELD are 2 entirely different albums. YIELD may have extended its them out of No Code, but musically it was a whole different direction.

• BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156

Clean house damn it.

PBM

Great points. Enter the "accidental concept album" theory. They both feel like they "have a point", although that point feels vague, there is one. I don't get that from any other albums in their catalog....
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • BlkFlg wrote:
    Great points. Enter the "accidental concept album" theory. They both feel like they "have a point", although that point feels vague, there is one. I don't get that from any other albums in their catalog....

Similar spaces. That's important.

Being on the same page...unity.

Surprisingly, in things I've read, there wasn't as much unity during No Code sessions. Doesn't show up in the end result.

PBM

• That's a hard one for me...I usually don't listen to albums in their entirety...I really have to like a group to listen to the whole thing.

Sadly, there are numerous Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rollings Stones, et al songs that have gone unlistened.

PBM

Pearl Jam is the only band that I have been able to listen to albums in their entirety. Most other bands that I like only still have a few good songs on albums that I can listen to.

One day I was out waiting for someone to get to their cottage, and I had a few hours to spare. I went to best buy bought a copy of Yield and VS and smoked one real quick. I listened to Yield about three times through and then switched to VS. It was a good day.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • jordn6971 wrote:
    Pearl Jam is the only band that I have been able to listen to albums in their entirety. Most other bands that I like only still have a few good songs on albums that I can listen to.

One day I was out waiting for someone to get to their cottage, and I had a few hours to spare. I went to best buy bought a copy of Yield and VS and smoked one real quick. I listened to Yield about three times through and then switched to VS. It was a good day.

Hey Jordan! Are you going to Bonnaroo?
  • jordn6971 wrote:

i like this anecdote.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • jordn6971 wrote:

i like this anecdote.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    distantsun wrote:
    i like this anecdote.

I like your location.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    LongRd. wrote:

You forgot riot act having its own category:

riot act = inspired by this thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=194846
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • yosi wrote:
    I like your location.

yosi + _____________= reunited and it feels so good.
    distantsun wrote:
    yosi + _____________= reunited and it feels so good.

Yes it does. :D

But lets keep the conversation on track (you know so no one gets in trouble :p). I recently read Ishmael (great read), someone want to explain its significance to Yield for me?
  • DarkStar wrote:
    i love YIELD!

ds
    Me too.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • yosi wrote:
    I recently read Ishmael (great read), someone want to explain its significance to Yield for me?

It boils down to The Takers and The Leavers.

You've got one side who believe the world belongs to them (DTE) and another group that lives in harmony with the land (PMPM).

There are more complex concepts that we can get into...and I must refresh myself because it's been 3 years since I read Ishmael.

There are elements in various songs...I don't think the whole album revolves around it, but there are bits and pieces scattered throughout.

PBM

It boils down to The Takers and The Leavers.

You've got one side who believe the world belongs to them (DTE) and another group that lives in harmony with the land (PMPM).

There are more complex concepts that we can get into...and I must refresh myself because it's been 3 years since I read Ishmael.

There are elements in various songs...I don't think the whole album revolves around it, but there are bits and pieces scattered throughout.

PBM

Interesting. I have to relook at the lyrics to PMPM.
  • yosi wrote:
    Interesting. I have to relook at the lyrics to PMPM.

"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

"I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves"

Much more in tune with the land instead of owning the land.

PBM

• Hey Jordan! Are you going to Bonnaroo?

Nope, I'm waiting to see what else they announce. My brother got tickets to the first Eddie show at the Wiltern, and we're gonna try on ticketmaster too.You going to those?
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Any thoughts on the general meaning of No Way? Sorry if it's been discussed before, I'm new to the Yield thread. Definitely one of my favorite songs both on Yield and ever written by Stone. Some people seem to interpret it as giving up, but personally I think the opposite, because after saying "I'll stop trying to make a difference" he immediately says "No way", which is clearly an important line, hence the title of the song. I can also see threads of Ishmael in this song, mainly in the lines I mentioned above, and in lines such as "to the oceans of my platitudes," which seems to be pretty related to the idea of the relentless insistence of "mother culture" to make humans think a certain way. Anyways, it would be great to hear other opinions
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    yield inspires me...it has such a great, liberating feel to it...the way the songs were written and arranged makes yield so great...

this and vitalogy are my two favs
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Any thoughts on the general meaning of No Way? Sorry if it's been discussed before, I'm new to the Yield thread. Definitely one of my favorite songs both on Yield and ever written by Stone. Some people seem to interpret it as giving up, but personally I think the opposite, because after saying "I'll stop trying to make a difference" he immediately says "No way", which is clearly an important line, hence the title of the song. I can also see threads of Ishmael in this song, mainly in the lines I mentioned above, and in lines such as "to the oceans of my platitudes," which seems to be pretty related to the idea of the relentless insistence of "mother culture" to make humans think a certain way. Anyways, it would be great to hear other opinions
    Sometimes you just gotta keep on keepin on, you know?
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.