Yield

Comments

• I think that yeild is the best pearl jam album!!! I just love all the songs to me there isn't a bad song on there. :D
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I think that YIELD is the best pearl jam album!!! I just love all the songs to me there isn't a bad song on there. :D

You'll fit in fine here.

Welcome.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    You'll fit in fine here.

Welcome.

PBM

They even CAPS'd YIELD. Good job!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
    They even CAPS'd YIELD. Good job!

As a permanent resident in this thread, I took it upon myself to include the caps.

:D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• "The oceans made me but who came up with love?....."
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Murder wrote:
    "The oceans made me but who came up with love?....."

God most probably
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    Murder wrote:
    "The oceans made me but who came up with love?....."

The female species.

PBM

As a permanent resident in this thread, I took it upon myself to include the caps.

:D

PBM

Drat, I thought we had a new protege for sure.
    Drat, I thought we had a new protege for sure.

We've had many up and coming protégés in this thread...sadly, most have moved on.

One week from today will be my 9 year anniversary of my first show...YIELD tour '98.

PBM

We've had many up and coming protégés in this thread...sadly, most have moved on.

One week from today will be my 9 year anniversary of my first show...YIELD tour '98.

PBM

True YIELD brethren are in it for the long haul. Lots is going on in the YFC now. Maybe things will settle down as the weather gets cooler.

Who's bringing the YIELD shaped cake?
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    In honor of Brother PhillyPJ....

YIELD.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    fanch75 wrote:
    In honor of Brother PhillyPJ....

YIELD.

I miss the old crew. :(
  • Yield is by far not only my favorite PJ album, but my overall favorite album by any band. It's a masterpiece!
    Randall's Island 1996-09-29, Meadowlands 1998-09-08, MSG 1998-09-11, MSG 2003-07-08, MSG 2003-07-09, Hershey Stadium 2003-07-12, PNC Center 2003-07-14, Borgata 2005-10-01, Meadowlands 2006-06-01, Meadowlands 2006-06-03
    Yield is by far not only my favorite PJ album, but my overall favorite album by any band. It's a masterpiece!

Yeah you're pretty much spot on.

What does YIELD mean to you?
    I miss the old crew. :(

"We only ban those who have oppressed us or contributed to our oppression."

In honor of 9/6/98:

Long Road, Corduroy, Brain Of J., Given To Fly, Animal, Red Mosquito, Jeremy, Whipping, Wishlist, Lukin, Even Flow, Habit, MFC, Present Tense, Daughter/(My Heart Will Go On)/(Monkey Gone to Heaven), Better Man, Alive

Encore 1: Go, Rearviewmirror, Do The Evolution, Hard To Imagine, Black, Last Kiss

Encore 2: Leaving Here

PBM

• fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Please tell me that "My Heart Will Go On" is the Theme from Titanic (a huge movie at that time)?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    fanch75 wrote:
    Please tell me that "My Heart Will Go On" is the Theme from Titanic (a huge movie at that time)?

Yeah...I didn't even notice it during the show...he just barely mentions the chorus:

"Near, Far...wherever the fuck you are"

PBM

• "We only ban those who have oppressed us or contributed to our oppression."

In honor of 9/6/98:

Long Road, Corduroy, Brain Of J., Given To Fly, Animal, Red Mosquito, Jeremy, Whipping, Wishlist, Lukin, Even Flow, Habit, MFC, Present Tense, Daughter/(My Heart Will Go On)/(Monkey Gone to Heaven), Better Man, Alive

Encore 1: Go, Rearviewmirror, Do The Evolution, Hard To Imagine, Black, Last Kiss

PBM

I would literally pee myself if I was at that show. Or, I would drink my own pee to go back in time to that show.

If I had a time machine, the first thing I would do is go back to 1998 and relish in the Yieldness. At the time I was 13, and I wasn't allowed to go to any shows.

I love how Yield represents the true transition the band underwent, from mainstream stressed out to their own world, their own terms. I know no code was supposed to be that, but it seemed like they were trying so hard to get away from everything that they weren't really enjoying it. With Yield, it's like everyone is finally at peace. And in 1998, Pearl Jam truly became Pearl Jam.
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
    I love how Yield represents the true transition the band underwent, from mainstream stressed out to their own world, their own terms.

Ahhh....the good ol' days.

PBM

"We only ban those who have oppressed us or contributed to our oppression."

In honor of 9/6/98:

PBM

It took me 5 shows to get Jeremy, if you'd believe that.
    Still waiting for RM.
    I won't even mention the song in the first encore. :mad:
    I won't even mention the song in the first encore. :mad:

Go? They broke it out in Memphis in '00 too.

PBM

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I must contribute, since PBM reminded me of the '98 Tour.

I'll be camping at the beach this weekend, but if I were online I'd probably come here and post about two shows from exactly nine years ago: 9/1 & 9/3/98. I was in college at FSU and dating a girl I had met on campus. The more we got to know each other, we realized that we had both attended the 10/7/96 show in Ft. Lauderdale about a year before we ever met.

Anyways, we had fan club tickets to Atlanta and Birmingham that week. YIELD was the record that pretty much defined our year and it reminds me of the awesome times I had. We bought the album at midnight on the release day, got a copy of SVT to watch while we hung out, and occassionally saw the DTE video on television. It was SUCH a fantastic year of Pearl Jam!

So, about the concerts: we left on Tuesday, driving to Lakewood Amphitheatre in Atlanta, leaving behind an approaching Hurricane Georges. FSU closed down that afternoon and all day Wednesday. When we got there, we bought a poster (which I still have in mint condition) and settled in for Mudhoney and then this set from the 8th row, center:

09/1/98 - Lakewood Amphitheater: Atlanta, GA [120m]
    attendance: 19,000
    support act: Mudhoney
    soundcheck: Lowlight, No Way, Parting Ways, Dead Man (2X with drums), Blood (slower version), I Got Shit
    set: Hail Hail, Animal, Given to Fly, Do the Evolution, Dissident, Corduroy, I Got Shit, Wishlist, Even Flow, In Hiding, Last Exit, (Yeastie Girls song), Off He Goes, MFC, Better Man, Brain of J, Alive
    enc 1: Go, No Way, Rearviewmirror, Daughter/(Talk About the Passion)/(All Those Yesterdays)/(The Wrong Child), Black, Porch
    enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter

What an insane night! I remember being so excited/concerned about this new guy called Matt Cameron and wondering whether he could do justice to the songs from No Code and YIELD. I had just been so (maybe the word is) enamored with Jack's involvement with the band. It was such a shame not to have him on the YIELD Tour when it came to my neck of the woods.

Eight YIELD songs, including the soundcheck of Lowlight. I remember being FLOORED by In Hiding that night. No Way was played basically to get one sign-toting fan off their backs (the request campaign actually worked). The Beastie Boys and REM references were awesome! It was a famous PJ night in my time as a fan.

We drove back to Tallahassee immediately after the show. Sat around on Wednesday because school was closed and then loaded up again on Thursday for the roadie up to Bham. After dinner at Five Points and meeting up with some fellow PJ friends, we went in, bought another poster (which I also have in mint condition), and took our seats--for the only time in my PJ concert life--on Row 1.

Though the seats were better, the show was honestly not as good as Atlanta. I think their Bham shows are destined to disappoint, as history will attest. But there were another six YIELD songs, if you include Leatherman. Faithfull was a very pleasant surprise, as was Baba as the closer. They all donned 70s era Elvis sunglasses for the finale while Ed swung his microphone over the rigging. I also vaguely remember (fake) blackbirds on the lighting rig directly above the stage. Am I crazy or did the crew really do that? Here's the set:

09/03/98 - Birmingham-Jefferson Coliseum: Birmingham, AL [117m]
    attendance: 19,000
    support act: Mudhoney
    soundcheck: Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynrd song; Mike only), Yellow Ledbetter jams
    set: Release, Hail Hail, Animal, Given to Fly, (Dueling Banjos), Corduroy, Immortality, Wishlist, Go, Daughter/(Androgynous Mind)/(Stuff and Nonsense), Footsteps, Even Flow, Jeremy, Faithfull, Brain of J, Better Man, Rearviewmirror, Porch
    enc: Elderly Woman, Leatherman, Do the Evolution, Alive, Black, Baba O'Riley

Drove back to Tallahassee right after that show, too. I think I listened to my handheld recording of Bham on the drive while she slept in the backseat. It was a magical couple of days, back when PJ still visited the South and when I was still able to drop everything and go catch them.

The relationship didn't survive the year, but I'm still so glad we shared those concerts and all the YIELD-related excitement that year. Thanks for letting me play that out here for a couple of minutes. I'm pumped that you all continue the YIELD-love here. Please keep it up--for the sake of those who already know AND the sake of those who will soon.

And now, off to the beach!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    Nice review rhinomagic...brings back some nice memories.

Would have been nice to have fan club seats for those '98 shows. I didn't realize that there were preferred seats for members before that show. As soon as I got home, I signed up for the Ten Club and have held on to that number since. It's been nearly 8 1/2 years...but I keep inching closer to the stage . ;)

I was telling YIH yesterday that the excitement and intensity of my first show hasn't been matched since.

Don't get me wrong Kitchener '05 came close, but the anticipation of that '98 YIELD tour set a high precedent.

PBM

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Nice review rhinomagic...brings back some nice memories.

Would have been nice to have fan club seats for those '98 shows. I didn't realize that there were preferred seats for members before that show. As soon as I got home, I signed up for the Ten Club and have held on to that number since. It's been nearly 8 1/2 years...but I keep inching closer to the stage . ;)

I was telling YIH yesterday that the excitement and intensity of my first show hasn't been matched since.

Don't get me wrong Kitchener '05 came close, but the anticipation of that '98 YIELD tour set a high precedent.

PBM

I did the same thing, joining the VHC right after that '96 show. The YIELD tour was the first chance I had to used the ticketing option. That was back when the fanclub mailed you your tickets well in advance of the show, before they made use of the Internet.

To that point, I had seen three PJ shows and they were all HARD to get in to, for various reasons. Though Atlanta and Bham were relatively easy in terms of travel and tickets, they are unmatched because of their inclusion in the year of YIELD and what we might call Pearl Jam's rebirth during Jack Irons' & Matt Cameron's tenures.

Did you listen to MonkeyWrench radio in January of that year? That was another impressive few hours of YIELD-era Pearl Jam in various forms. It was SO COOL to hear the new songs broadcast over the radio like that.

I wanna YIELD party with you folks. This is making me nostalgic.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I did the same thing, joining the VHC right after that '96 show. The YIELD tour was the first chance I had to used the ticketing option. That was back when the fanclub mailed you your tickets well in advance of the show, before they made use of the Internet.

By the time I joined, they still had you sign up through the mail, but you picked up at will call (like you do now).
    rhinomagic wrote:
    To that point, I had seen three PJ shows and they were all HARD to get in to, for various reasons.

Tell me about it...I entered a lottery in '94 just for the opportunity to buy tickets...no such luck.
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Though Atlanta and Bham were relatively easy in terms of travel and tickets, they are unmatched because of their inclusion in the year of YIELD and what we might call Pearl Jam's rebirth during Jack Irons' & Matt Cameron's tenures.

Sadly, I'd still like to be able to see MJI re-create his masterpiece in a live setting. He only got to road test the YIELD songs for a few shows.
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Did you listen to MonkeyWrench radio in January of that year? That was another impressive few hours of YIELD-era Pearl Jam in various forms. It was SO COOL to hear the new songs broadcast over the radio like that.

Oddly enough...for one reason or another, I did not hear that one. I remember listening to the first one in '94/'95 after Vitalogy was released. However, PissBottleWoman bought me the YIELD-era Monkey Wrench Radio Cd for my birthday in May of '98

PBM

• distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    yield holds up on middle eastern vacations.

fact.

:)
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
    distantsun wrote:
    yield holds up on middle eastern vacations.

fact.

Not so incognito.

Neat-O

Glad you're back.

PBM

• Listening to PMPM this morning, I like the split audio production on the line: "Like a cloud dropping rain, I'm discarding all thought.

Vocals in the right ear...music in the left ear.

Thumbs up.

PBM

• Listening to PMPM this morning, I like the split audio production on the line: "Like a cloud dropping rain, I'm discarding all thought.

Vocals in the right ear...music in the left ear.

Thumbs up.

PBM

it is toe-curling good.

i agree.

this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • BlkFlg wrote:
    right, its not! Im thinking of honoring the value of nature, but holding onto what we have learned. I look at it like this: human beings identified with only themselves way back (cavemen), then were bound to the tribe, then the nation (nationalism-1800's-1900's) and now finally, thank god the entire planet. we are finally opening up our perspective that "all is one", and we are not seperate from anything. but, way back when we just werent there yet in terms of our outlooks- we couldnt conceive of anything outside of ourselves.

I just saw this post. Does it make you at all uneasy, though, that it took technology to make this planetary awareness a reality? Yeah, we are all becoming one, but at what cost? Our over dependence on technology is downright frightening. And, to that point, I also don't think we are as close as we all think we are. Our "one-ness" might be an illusion created by technology. At the end of the day, Australia is still completely on the other side of the planet.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH