Yield

Comments

• RockKing wrote:
    Dark Side is better because of the cohesive sound of the album, and that's where the story can be found in Dark Side....in the music.

Right. And cohesive is the word, because both Dark Side and YIELD don't sound the same on every track, there is a great variety between the songs. The whole package works together musically and puts you in another place mentally.
    I think Dark Side may be better at this than YIELD is, but the message is a bit more blurry. I haven't really listened to it in three or four years though.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    cutback wrote:
    you guys mentioned "where the streets have no name" earlier so could the joshua tree be a contender?

It's one of the closest relatives to yield I can think of off the top of my head.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • meme wrote:
    Well, I don't buy the Jesus nor the "some kind of set historical figure" interpretation. I think it could be ourselves (Ed for him) at times, or also someone we think saved us in some way. I always think of a good friend who overcame incredible obstacles to find himself and has "unlocked the key to the chains he saw in me"

What kept me awake last night was this thought... I've been visiting an old friend of mine in a nursing home. I fucking hate nursing homes. They terrify me. They are the most depressing places ever. So you peek through the rooms and you see these people half living, just lying in bed.
    It made me think in negative about someone in my life who is pretty close to get there and has done absolutely nothing to ensure that people will take care of him in old age... the lyrics changed in my mind to "the love that he gives is the love that is saved". In his case, the love he hasn't given is the love that is not saved. And that led me to wonder what those lines mean. Or rather, what they could mean.

I don't think any of us apply to that line of thinking either, although there are some spots that could lead one to believe so.

I guess what's it is dealing with is karma and the karmic implications of your actions. It's one thing to save for yourself, but there's something immensely valuable in just giving and knowing that it will come back somehow. That's part of your story there too.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    meme wrote:
    It's one of the closest relatives to yield I can think of off the top of my head.

that's what i think too....i can't put it into words but there is a similarity between both of them....:)
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    I think Dark Side may be better at this than YIELD is, but the message is a bit more blurry. I haven't really listened to it in three or four years though.

I think that's pretty much spot on. Dark Side's story is completely musical. You can feel every track on the record. You know what direction each song is trying to take you in. But the message is stronger on YIELD. I think that's a fair comparison of the 2.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    cutback wrote:
    you guys mentioned "where the streets have no name" earlier so could the joshua tree be a contender?

Musically, I think the Joshua Tree is extremely YIELDy. But lyrically, I think as a whole "War" is more like YIELD than the Joshua Tree. The Joshua Tree has its moments that are similar to YIELD in terms of telling a story, but wow, the story that "War" tells between the lines is amazing.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I don't think any of us apply to that line of thinking either, although there are some spots that could lead one to believe so.

I guess what's it is dealing with is karma and the karmic implications of your actions. It's one thing to save for yourself, but there's something immensely valuable in just giving and knowing that it will come back somehow. That's part of your story there too.

I see it as enlightenment...and wanting to share that knowledge.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    meme wrote:
    Well, I don't buy the Jesus nor the "some kind of set historical figure" interpretation. I think it could be ourselves (Ed for him) at times, or also someone we think saved us in some way. I always think of a good friend who overcame incredible obstacles to find himself and has "unlocked the key to the chains he saw in me"

What kept me awake last night was this thought... I've been visiting an old friend of mine in a nursing home. I fucking hate nursing homes. They terrify me. They are the most depressing places ever. So you peek through the rooms and you see these people half living, just lying in bed.
    It made me think in negative about someone in my life who is pretty close to get there and has done absolutely nothing to ensure that people will take care of him in old age... the lyrics changed in my mind to "the love that he gives is the love that is saved". In his case, the love he hasn't given is the love that is not saved. And that led me to wonder what those lines mean. Or rather, what they could mean.

I 100% believe the main character of GTF is ourselves. Ed loves telling stories using himself (or ourselves) as a different POV (Off He Goes is an obvious example). I think this Ed telling a story about himself in the 3rd person. And that's how I've always applied it to my life.

RockKing wrote:
    Musically, I think the Joshua Tree is extremely YIELDy. But lyrically, I think as a whole "War" is more like YIELD than the Joshua Tree. The Joshua Tree has its moments that are similar to YIELD in terms of telling a story, but wow, the story that "War" tells between the lines is amazing.

i can see that....never thought about war.....might have to listen it all the way though (which i probably haven't done since i had it on vinyl back in the 80's :eek: ).........:)
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    Well, when talking about classic albums like that Abbey Road and Dark Side come to mind quickly.

Finding things similar to YIELD will be hard though...since it has that balance of sounds and topics, but still has that underlying theme.

Explosions In The Sky- "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place"

Hands down winner. Sounds JUST like the title- cystaline beauty emerging out of introspection and pain, shifting worldviews, positivity, uplifting, etc...

Although it was after YIELD, so in the same tree, but probably influenced by.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    cutback wrote:
    i can see that....never thought about war.....might have to listen it all the way though (which i probably haven't done since i had it on vinyl back in the 80's :eek: ).........:)

War for sure is a YIELDish album...I think Joshua tree is in terms of vibe and sound, but War in terms of perspective. Also, Dark side is similar in terms of being conceptual but I can't get the parrallel in sound and message. Pink Floyd doesnt inspire me or seem emotional enough.

I think Abbey Road is a good comparison as well- the Beatles had gone through periods of experimentation and had emerged with the best of their periods intact. If they had kept going maybe we would have gotten Binaural or something.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
    cutback wrote:
    that's what i think too....i can't put it into words but there is a similarity between both of them....:)

I was thinking about this while driving tonight... it could be as simple as the striking similarities in artwork. So, we can't put it into words but we can put it into images. Those images clearly fit the similar atmosphere of the works in general.
    meme wrote:
    I was thinking about this while driving tonight... it could be as simple as the striking similarities in artwork. So, we can't put it into words but we can put it into images. Those images clearly fit the similar atmosphere of the works in general.

yes, definitely.......and although i do agree with black flag and rockking, for me there is something musically and lyrically with jt and YIELD.....combined with the images as you said meme make for quite an impression.....also for me both jt and YIELD convey a mood and theme.....once again i can't put into words what they are but the wonderful pj fans here can at least give YIELD a go......i love reading this thread....keep it up....:)
    cutback wrote:
    yes, definitely.......and although i do agree with black flag and rockking, for me there is something musically and lyrically with jt and YIELD.....combined with the images as you said meme make for quite an impression.....also for me both jt and YIELD convey a mood and theme.....once again i can't put into words what they are but the wonderful pj fans here can at least give YIELD a go......i love reading this thread....keep it up....:)

Yes, there are many fantastic albums, but the reason why I thought about JT is precisely the cohesiveness, the atmosphere and the message (whatever that is).

Going back to artwork... made me miss LPs... when those were just the things you'd buy and not hard to get and even harder to play items.
    I've had a huge poster of the JT tour on my bedroom door for a few years :)
    Similar artwork as the album. Let's talk about it... the full screen framing, the black and white, the landscapes...
  • Yield always has been, and always will be, my favourite album.

it always makes me happy. no matter what mood im in.
    I'd rather be with an animal.
    I dug out some old tapes of my college radio show last night. I finally found the February 3, 1998 edition dedicated to Pearl Jam.

I thought I played YIELD in it's entirety, but I guess I played only a handfull. We did play 2 full hours of Pearl Jam.

YIELD songs played:

Brain of J
    Given To Fly
    Pilate
    MFC
    Lowlight
    Push Me Pull Me

Given that I had purchased the album just 6 hours prior to broadcast, those are some interesting picks.

I miss college radio. :(

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

I dug out some old tapes of my college radio show last night. I finally found the February 3, 1998 edition dedicated to Pearl Jam.

I thought I played YIELD in it's entirety, but I guess I played only a handfull. We did play 2 full hours of Pearl Jam.

YIELD songs played:

Brain of J
    Given To Fly
    Pilate
    MFC
    Lowlight
    Push Me Pull Me

Given that I had purchased the album just 6 hours prior to broadcast, those are some interesting picks.

PBM

Once again proving that upon first listen, Pilate was a classic. Everyone rips Pilate now because they know the lyrics, but they don't get them. I remember being blown away by Pilate on first listen.

I love seing PMPM on that list, too.

RockKing wrote:
    Once again proving that upon first listen, Pilate was a classic. Everyone rips Pilate now because they know the lyrics, but they don't get them. I remember being blown away by Pilate on first listen.

I love seing PMPM on that list, too.

It's strange...I don't remember how I picked out what to play...you would think that DTE would have been on there.

I distinctly remember early in '98 not liking LOWLIGHT that much...then, I couldn't stop playing it.

I introduced "BRAIN OF J" as, "...one of my favorites, thus far, off the new album....this is BRAIN OF JFK"

We had fun on "The Burnt Toast Show"

PBM

• I dug out some old tapes of my college radio show last night. I finally found the February 3, 1998 edition dedicated to Pearl Jam.

YIELD songs played:

Brain of J
    Given To Fly
    Pilate
    MFC
    Lowlight
    Push Me Pull Me

PBM

That is funny, no DTE or ATY.
    I miss the radio already. I had a couple Avocado shows, WWS and Unemployable came out early I think...playing the Philly 05 boot the next night, talking to Patterson from DBT. Good times.
    It's strange...I don't remember how I picked out what to play...you would think that DTE would have been on there.

I distinctly remember early in '98 not liking LOWLIGHT that much...then, I couldn't stop playing it.

I introduced "BRAIN OF J" as, "...one of my favorites, thus far, off the new album....this is BRAIN OF JFK"

We had fun on "The Burnt Toast Show"

PBM

I wish I could go back to hearing those songs for the first time again. I mean, I guess I don't want to give up all the knowledge I've gained about the album, but man, to pop that thing again, and hear the "1234 1234" again, and not ever realize what you're in for. That was the best feeling. And I agree, Brain of J was definitely a stand out track for me. Still is to this day.

I miss the radio already. I had a couple Avocado shows, WWS and Unemployable came out early I think...playing the Philly 05 boot the next night, talking to Patterson from DBT. Good times.

Did you get Ian on your show, or did you only talk to him for your class?

You could always do a podcast. You'll miss out on live calls, but you could take email requests during the week between shows.

We played the hell out of Pearl Jam on that show...my co-host and I were pretty big fans (I went to my first show with him and PBW).

Other songs played on that YIELD night:

Evenflow
    Alive
    Betterman
    Black (MTV Unplugged)
    Jeremy (MTV Unplugged)
    Sonic Reducer
    Dissident
    RVM
    Light My Fire (w/ Ed on vocals from R&R HOF)

and for the Vinyl Solution portion of the program (a segment where I would dust off the station record player and play some wax) I played "45 of "Alone" that I found in a record store back in '97.

PBM

I miss the radio already.

It's not that I miss radio that much...because it's been taken over by corporations...I miss college radio.

We were like 200 watts...we barely made it to the city limits, but I had some of the best times on my college radio show.

We did a similar Pearl Jam show when No Code came out in '96...that was one of our first shows.

"The Burnt Toast Show" was on-the-air during the peak Pearl Jam years.

PBM

• RockKing wrote:
    Did you get Ian on your show, or did you only talk to him for your class?
    Ian knew one of the professors at school and came to do a lecture, but I did get to say hi for a minute after the Evens show in Albany a few weeks ago.

He would've been a great guest though...he can talk.

;)
  • distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    i missed a lot yesterday, huh?

time to read.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
    distantsun wrote:
    i missed a lot yesterday, huh?

time to read.

I'm still waiting to debate the negative aspects of YIELD with you...I think there is some basis to my theory.

PBM

• fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734

That Philly '05 show was one helluva YIELD show. Six songs from YIELD (Leathermand included). Hard to beat that.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • It's not that I miss radio that much...because it's been taken over by corporations...I miss college radio.

True.

I know some college stations around here let community members have shows if they put in some volunteer hours helping out. Fairly free-format as far as I can tell.
    I'll have to look into that one of these days.