Yield

Comments

• RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Lowlight and in hiding is the darkness before dawn so to speak (not in a negative way)and PMPM is the return to the non-dual, the return to unity consciousness and breaking free from the bonds of form.

I need more time to contemplate the degree to which I agree with everything else you wrote. I agree with most of it in some form, but not all of it. But the part I quoted above, I find it interesting that you picked up on something I've always said. I've always said that Low Light is the darkest song on the album. And I find it fascinating that they juxtapose those dark words with such beautiful music. I chalk it up to more of YIELD's duality.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    BlkFlg wrote:
    you know how in the naked Gun movies they have little jokes in the credits, and then Frank Drebin comes back for a last pop? Its kind of like that.

Also, I see hummus as a representation of freedom and like Jack says having a good time kind of song. its also very "earthy" sounding, although I can't describe why.

Id love to have waded in earlier but Ive been busy and so much has passed! So I make my entrance here. I concur that PMPM is the finale- its like, and Im going to get fairly esoteric here so bear with me, when form begins to break up. Lowlight and in hiding is the darkness before dawn so to speak (not in a negative way)and PMPM is the return to the non-dual, the return to unity consciousness and breaking free from the bonds of form. It doesnt sound "clean" because thats not how that sort of thing sounds. Think of it this way from another movie reference- its like when Michael J. Fox's bro and sis start disappearing in Back to the future. That, in essence is what is occurring with the album and ultimately completing the theme of transcendence, introspection and renewal. ATY is death, but not in a negative sense.

If there is a character hidden behind the songs of YIELD, ATY is playing when he is lying prone on a grassy hill after a long external and internal fight.

i'm totally on board for most of this even though i have never seen any back to the future movies.

also, i am not sure about low light being the album's darkest track.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
    distantsun wrote:
    also, i am not sure about low light being the album's darkest track.

Why not?

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    distantsun wrote:
    i'm totally on board for most of this even though i have never seen any back to the future movies.

Come on, you don't have to admit to seeing part II, but everyone has seen the first one. You're a God-Damn liar. :D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    Come on, you don't have to admit to seeing part II, but everyone has seen the first one. You're a God-Damn liar. :D

PBM

I saw all 3 back when I was going through my Christpoher Lloyd phase.

• BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    RockKing wrote:
    Why not?

she's out of her mind. =)

lowlight gives me the sensation of being alone in a farmhouse on the plains, in a dimly lit kitchen at dusk. i have just returned to my childhood home from living in LA (or any other big city) for the funeral of a friend (though not a parent) and I am having a moment of deep, deep reflection on human nature and the meaning of it all. it has the sensation of, like after a funeral, that sweet saddness that is not paralyzing and not totally unpleasurable. I sit in that kitchen and my life of "saving the world" (as a non-profit employee for some environmental or social justice type org ), mixed with the death, and memories of a troubled childhood on the plains come flooding into me. and, in one of those moments where the mind is overwhelmed by sensory experience, emotion, and memory......

cognition hiccups, stops, and all blends to an indefinable feeling.

this song is that feeling.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    I think you guys are forgetting the theme of escape in ATY. Fits in nicely with other songs on the record. I think it's a good ending both musically and thematically.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    I think you guys are forgetting the theme of escape in ATY. Fits in nicely with other songs on the record. I think it's a good ending both musically and thematically.
    It's a fantastic song, YIH. Magical.
    BlkFlg wrote:
    If there is a character hidden behind the songs of YIELD, ATY is playing when he is lying prone on a grassy hill after a long external and internal fight.
    I see it. You're giving me chills, brother.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
    BlkFlg wrote:
    she's out of her mind. =)

lowlight gives me the sensation of being alone in a farmhouse on the plains, in a dimly lit kitchen at dusk. i have just returned to my childhood home from living in LA (or any other big city) for the funeral of a friend (though not a parent) and I am having a moment of deep, deep reflection on human nature and the meaning of it all. it has the sensation of, like after a funeral, that sweet saddness that is not paralyzing and not totally unpleasurable. I sit in that kitchen and my life of "saving the world" (as a non-profit employee for some environmental or social justice type org ), mixed with the death, and memories of a troubled childhood on the plains come flooding into me. and, in one of those moments where the mind is overwhelmed by sensory experience, emotion, and memory......

cognition hiccups, stops, and all blends to an indefinable feeling.

this song is that feeling.

That's EXACTLY what I get from that song. And I think it's so fitting that it follows MFC. To me, that feeling of isolation mixed with reflection is exactly what the song is about. And, in the context of the album, it can easily be seen as the main character being alone and reflecting back on the mistake they just made by running from their problems.

• RockKing wrote:
    That's EXACTLY what I get from that song. And I think it's so fitting that it follows MFC. To me, that feeling of isolation mixed with reflection is exactly what the song is about. And, in the context of the album, it can easily be seen as the main character being alone and reflecting back on the mistake they just made by running from their problems.
    One thing I just thought of...and great post, Flag.

The escape car in MFC and the 'car crash' line in Low Light...did we ever think about this? Maybe in MFC someone is getting the hell out, but doesn't make it.

More ideas....
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    i think i need a remedial low light class.
    One thing I just thought of...and great post, Flag.

The escape car in MFC and the 'car crash' line in Low Light...did we ever think about this? Maybe in MFC someone is getting the hell out, but doesn't make it.

More ideas....

WOW. I can't believe I never put that connection together in such a literal sense. I always interpreted it as a metaphor for saying that because of the escape, the main character's life has become a mess. But it TOTALLY makes sense, too, to accept it as a literal representation. I see both sides of it and I'm not totally convinced of either side now. I need more ideas. What does everyone else think? Is this a metaphor or a literal representation? What does this song mean to you?

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    RockKing wrote:
    WOW. I can't believe I never put that connection together in such a literal sense. I always interpreted it as a metaphor for saying that because of the escape, the main character's life has become a mess. But it TOTALLY makes sense, too, to accept it as a literal representation. I see both sides of it and I'm not totally convinced of either side now. I need more ideas. What does everyone else think? Is this a metaphor or a literal representation? What does this song mean to you?

I never thought of it as literal either, but that was awesome. I guess that's what makes Ed special. He can really connect themes between songs.

Its nice to see some intelligent discussion so early in the morning ;)
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    I never thought of it as literal either, but that was awesome. I guess that's what makes Ed special. He can really connect themes between songs.

Its nice to see some intelligent discussion so early in the morning ;)
    Well, lest we get too serious, Ed wrote the lyrics to MFC and Jeff to Low Light, right?
    I doubt there's any direct connection, but I could see them lining up the two in the studio to get that back to back.

I guess I always saw the car crash as much more figurative in Low Light, as just a sudden turn of events, and now looking back on things. But, in car themes, the camaro, the mini, it is important to consider.
    Well, lest we get too serious, Ed wrote the lyrics to MFC and Jeff to Low Light, right?
    I doubt there's any direct connection, but I could see them lining up the two in the studio to get that back to back.

I guess I always saw the car crash as much more figurative in Low Light, as just a sudden turn of events, and now looking back on things. But, in car themes, the camaro, the mini, it is important to consider.

I guess I didn't realize that Jeff wrote the lyrics to Low Light :o
    yosi wrote:

Don't fret Yosi....As much as we're here to learn, we're also here to teach. :)

• yosi wrote:
    Not an indictment.
    :D

I know you know he wrote Ghost and Help, Help.

Don't we all.

Yeah, again, it goes back to the point about none of this being intentional. But to me, that's part of what makes YIELD so special. It would cheapen the effect a bit for me had it been intentional. YIELD has all the impact of a concept album without any of the pretense. I love that.

And back to the point, I suppose that fact makes it hard for it to be any kind of literal connection or interpretation. I am back to solidly being on the side of the figuritive metaphor. I think you and I have pretty similar interpretations of this song. The sudden turn of events, and looking back on things....that's pretty much what I was trying to say.

Not an indictment.

I know you know he wrote Ghost and Help, Help.

Don't we all.

Does Pearl Jam have a more aptly titled song than "Ghost"?

• RockKing wrote:
    Does Pearl Jam have a more aptly titled song than "Ghost"?
    I'm sure Yosi could make a Low Light joke, but, enough.
    ;)

I'd agree that we haven't ever tackled ATY with as much energy as we should but Low Light just might be that song that we can't really get at any better than Flag did.

Part of the problem in breaking things down like this is that the meat of Low Light is between the lines and purely in the sound of it. It's impossible to describe in a few seconds. Plus, everyone can only apply it to their own lives and it's a song that digs itself in to your brain and it's hard to share that.
    I'm sure Yosi could make a Low Light joke, but, enough.
    ;)

The only difference is I actually like Low Light :p
    i think the car crash thing is one of those coincidences in terms of the individuals writing it while at the same time...again, still being in the same headspace. and even though i don't think they're meant to be thought of literally, i don't think it's a concidence that they follow one another on the album.

i will take this opportunity to say that if i had a chance to witness any innerworkings of this band, i would want to see the process of creating the track list. more than writing, more than rehearsals, more than anything else really.
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    distantsun wrote:
    i will take this opportunity to say that if i had a chance to witness any innerworkings of this band, i would want to see the process of creating the track list. more than writing, more than rehearsals, more than anything else really.

I concur. Especially in light of the fact that YIELD and Ten are the only times they got this process right.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    I concur. Especially in light of the fact that YIELD and Ten are the only times they got this process right.

whoa. ten also? why?

what about no code doesn't sit right with you?

i will say that vitalogy barely qualifies as an album. ;)
  • distantsun wrote:
    whoa. ten also? why?

Oh, come on!
    No Code is one of the worst ever in my opinion...the transitions are horrible.
    Hail, Hail in between Sometimes and Who You Are just hurts my ears, soft, loud, soft, loud...the whole thing has no flow.

The more interesting thing here is leaving songs off or putting ones on.
    Doing YIELD, Leatherman and U (and untitled?) were floating around, maybe Grievance, Sad - things that ended up on Binaural/Lost Dogs.
    The order is important, but knowing what to put on and leave off is more important to me. See Binaural.
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    RockKing wrote:
    Yeah, again, it goes back to the point about none of this being intentional. But to me, that's part of what makes YIELD so special. It would cheapen the effect a bit for me had it been intentional. YIELD has all the impact of a concept album without any of the pretense. I love that.

And back to the point, I suppose that fact makes it hard for it to be any kind of literal connection or interpretation. I am back to solidly being on the side of the figuritive metaphor. I think you and I have pretty similar interpretations of this song. The sudden turn of events, and looking back on things....that's pretty much what I was trying to say.
    right on- they created this unifying thing without trying. who knows whether MFC and the car crash in lowlight are related? they certainly seem like they could be- and the "escape" then "crash" or introspection after the escape can be easily related. how much of this do you think they have thought of and is our interpretation? =) Regardless, thats what makes the album so magical- it is SO philosophical and open to meaning-making.

About Jeff writing lowlight and adding the car crash thing- from one perspective, cars are a common theme in american songwriting, its part of our collective unconcious. But, like others have said, what if the band was just in the same "space" emotionally and mentally, and themes emerged organically without trying? Like a one organism kind of thing....hmmm
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
    distantsun wrote:
    whoa. ten also? why?

i will say that vitalogy barely qualifies as an album. ;)

For me, the last 3 songs of No Code are terribly placed. It's such a buzzkill for the end of an album. I've always felt like the Habit, Red Mosquito, Lukin trio is oddly placed, too.

But I do think Binaural and Riot Act are sequenced alright. I love the Vs sequencing.

You're right, though, Vitalogy is the worst at this. By far.

• BlkFlg wrote:
    About Jeff writing lowlight and adding the car crash thing- from one perspective, cars are a common theme in american songwriting, its part of our collective unconcious. But, like others have said, what if the band was just in the same "space" emotionally and mentally, and themes emerged organically without trying? Like a one organism kind of thing....hmmm

Yeah, I think after the NeilJam and the Mirrorball and No Code things, and Jack coming in, "they were finally a band again."
    BlkFlg wrote:
    right on- they created this unifying thing without trying. who knows whether MFC and the car crash in lowlight are related? they certainly seem like they could be- and the "escape" then "crash" or introspection after the escape can be easily related. how much of this do you think they have thought of and is our interpretation? =) Regardless, thats what makes the album so magical- it is SO philosophical and open to meaning-making.

I like the idea of the power of the collective unconcious/subconcious. I don't always buy into that philosophy, but I DO think as a general rule of life, when people's experiences in life lead them to a place where they are part of a group who have arrived at relatively the same philosophical destination at relatively the same time, then the potential for creative magic is infinite. The links between all these songs are so obviously unspoken, but rather binded by philosophy....which makes them all the more powerful.

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549

Ah, the return of the car symbolism.

You are enhancing this theory with your discussion. Please, continue.
    rhinomagic wrote:
    References to automobiles are also abundant, most notably in MFC, Do the Evolution, Wishlist, and Low Light. Motion is obviously important to the concept of yielding--without an established motion, one cannot possibly yield (in any sense of the word). It would appear that cars are means to escape, dominance, and freedom in these songs. The 'car crash' in Low Light is particularly interesting to this line of thought. If the protagonist is carrying a romantic notion of the full moon on the Camaro's hood, dominance in flattening out the rolling hills with his truck, or attempting to escape the inescapable, the car crashing brings a startling realization that the technology of man is not a means to harmony with nature/the universe.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020