Yield

Comments

• rhinomagic wrote:
    Ah, the return of the car symbolism.

You are enhancing this theory with your discussion. Please, continue.

I should say, my theory is your theory.
    :D

That's good...there really is a bridge with the car themes from Wishlist to Low Light.
    Red dot is waiting at the stop light.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431

Fucking brilliant! :)
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Ah, the return of the car symbolism.

You are enhancing this theory with your discussion. Please, continue.

To me, I think the most important thing you mentioned is the idea of motion. Automobiles are by far the best/easiest to use imagery to represent the idea of motion. It carries our main charatcer from the beginning of the album to the end. Obviously the idealogy of YIELD that we hold so dear couldn't work without this idea of motion being involved. What I mean by that is you can't get from "point A" to "point b" without both some kind of motion and some method of creating that motion.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    RockKing wrote:
    Fucking brilliant! :)

right fucking on willy!
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    I should say, my theory is your theory.

That's good...there really is a bridge with the car themes from Wishlist to Low Light.

Its been a while since Wally has said it so I will remind everyone:

"The YIELD thread- classing up the front page of the message pit since 2003"
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    RockKing wrote:
    To me, I think the most important thing you mentioned is the idea of motion. Automobiles are by far the best/easiest to use imagery to represent the idea of motion. It carries our main charatcer from the beginning of the album to the end. Obviously the idealogy of YIELD that we hold so dear couldn't work without this idea of motion being involved. What I mean by that is you can't get from "point A" to "point b" without both some kind of motion and some method of creating that motion.

just when i think you can't get any better.

i have nothing to add to this.

jeeezus.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Anything else to talk about?

Clouds roll by
    Reeling is what they say
    Or is it just my way?
    Wind blows by,
    Low light
    Sidetracked, low light
    Can't see my tracks,
    Your scent-way back

Can I be here all alone?
    Clear a path to my home
    Blood runs dry
    Books and jealousy tell me wrong
    All I feel, calm
    Voice rolls by,
    Low light
    Car crash, low light
    Can't wear my mask,
    Your first, my last

Voice goes by
    Two birds is what they'll see
    Getting lost upon their way
    Wind rolls by,
    Low light
    Eye sight, low light
    I need the light
    I'll find my way from wrong, what's real?
    Your dream I see
    Anything else to talk about?

Clouds roll by
    Reeling is what they say
    Or is it just my way?
    Wind blows by,
    Low light
    Sidetracked, low light
    Can't see my tracks,
    Your scent-way back

I see this verse as discussing the end part of the running away. A lot of allusion to motion again here (the clouds rolling by, wind blowing, leaving behind tracks and a scent)...These all leave me with a feeling of escape or running away. The clincher here for me is the word 'reeling'. The main character is reeling from something in his/her life. This fits PERFECTLY with our interpretation of escape.
    Can I be here all alone?
    Clear a path to my home
    Blood runs dry
    Books and jealousy tell me wrong
    All I feel, calm
    Voice rolls by,
    Low light
    Car crash, low light
    Can't wear my mask,
    Your first, my last

This is pure isolation and regret. Not as much motion in this verse, leading me to believe the escape is over with and now the main character is reflecting on where the escape has left him/her. Isolation (can I be here all alone), no family (blood runs dry), and confusion (books and jealousy tell me wrong).
    Voice goes by
    Two birds is what they'll see
    Getting lost upon their way
    Wind rolls by,
    Low light
    Eye sight, low light
    I need the light
    I'll find my way from wrong, what's real?
    Your dream I see

Initially, this verse again refers to the problem with escapism (two birds is what they'll see, getting lost upon their way). Then we have more motion with the wind, which I think is showing a desire to go back and overcome whatever is holding us down rather than run away from it. (I need the light, I'll find my way from wrong). But it ends on such a down note. Is it too late for us? Can we really go back? What's real? The line 'your dream I see'....is he saying that this ideal reality only exists in dreams, or that with this new plan of YIELDing and overcoming we can now see this dream becoming a reality? That's the only part I struggle with.

would it be totally offbase to think that *maybe* this is being spoken by someone who is not yet fully realized to someone who is? who is on the other side? (wow.) someone who is in the process to someone who has made it out?
    distantsun wrote:
    would it be totally offbase to think that *maybe* this is being spoken by someone who is not yet fully realized to someone who is? who is on the other side? (wow.) someone who is in the process to someone who has made it out?

That would certainly explain that last line. Which is fascinating because this whole time I've thought of the main character (ourselves) as the only protagonist. I've seen the album as self vs everyone else. This would introduce a new protagonist. Fascinating thought to ponder.

RockKing wrote:
    That would certainly explain that last line. Which is fascinating because this whole time I've thought of the main character (ourselves) as the only protagonist. I've seen the album as self vs everyone else. This would introduce a new protagonist. Fascinating thought to ponder.

of course we're projecting our own ideas and interpretations onto this, but I thought this angle made sense. think about the last line: "your dream, I see" followed up by PMPM.

it makes sense to me. who knows?
  • distantsun wrote:
    of course we're projecting our own ideas and interpretations onto this, but I thought this angle made sense. think about the last line: "your dream, I see" followed up by PMPM.

it makes sense to me. who knows?
    If it has anything to do with Master & Margarita as I would suppose, since Jeff said in some interview that Pilate was
    asking the question and Low Light answering it - this situation mirrors what goes on in the book.
    I'll have to look it up and re-read it, but I think you just described the end of the book.

A google search unearthed this little nugget (from the board):

"Kat
    05-03-2004, 12:16 PM
    Here are a few things Jeff said at the time about Pilate. :)
    Love,
    Kat

From 1998 Guitar World article:

by Vic Garbarini
    March, 1998

GW: Your songs on Yield seem too reflect that process. "Pilate" is all
    frenzied frustration, while "Low Light" is like a hymn, serene and at peace.
    But why does Pilate have a dog?

JA: I think "Pilate" was the question I was asking myself, and "Low Light"
    was the answer, the realization. Have you ever read The Master and Margarita
    [by Mikhail Bulgakov]? I just read that book, and at the end they talk about
    Pontius Pilate being all alone on a mountain with his dog. He couldn't sleep
    and he couldn't function. It really struck me hard, because at that point I
    was feeling very alone. I've always had this recurring dream about
    being old and just me and my dog sitting on the porch. It wasn't necessarily
    a sad dream of a premonition, but it it did get me to thinking about why
    Pilate was so alone and freaked out. Then I realized he didn't get to finish
    his conversation with Jesus- *that's* why he can't function, because he
    didn't tie up the loose ends in his life. Later, I was playing the guitar,
    and I was hit so hard by this amazing emotion. In that moment the words "low
    light" came out, and somehow those were the only words to explain what I was
    feeling. It was a kind of greatfulness at finding that place of calm and
    peace at my center and getting a glimpse of the person I could choose to be.
    It was the purest happiness that I've experienced in a long time, that
    particular emotion. God, I thought I was going to explode. I feel very
    lucky to have been able to put it down on tape that morning and work through
    it until it became a song."

edit: the quote copied twice, removed one.
    That makes a lot of sense and pretty much fits into what we were saying. In reference to Pilate, you could argue that Pilate took the easy way out. We appeased the crowd. And he suffered isolation and confusion as a result. I think Low Light does an EXCELLENT job mirroring that feeling. Good work by Jeff on this one.

• memememe Posts: 4,695
    If it has anything to do with Master & Margarita as I would suppose, since Jeff said in some interview that Pilate was
    asking the question and Low Light answering it - this situation mirrors what goes on in the book.
    I'll have to look it up and re-read it, but I think you just described the end of the book.

"Kat
    Love,
    Kat

by Vic Garbarini
    March, 1998

I have a really stupid question. Ed wrote the lyrics to Low Light, right?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • meme wrote:
    I have a really stupid question. Ed wrote the lyrics to Low Light, right?
    All Jeff.
    in light of jeff's comments (thanks dawg!), i think the placement before PMPM is definitely no mistake.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272

"Kat
    Love,
    Kat

by Vic Garbarini
    March, 1998

Wow. That's enlightening. It really gives me a totally new appreciation for Low Light, and I need to go relisten to Pilate.

Nobody has the rest of this interview lying around...?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    Wow. That's enlightening. It really gives me a totally new appreciation for Low Light, and I need to go relisten to Pilate.

Nobody has the rest of this interview lying around...?
    Since you asked nicely:

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/gw0398.shtml

Sweet! Now I have some fun reading to do at work... :D
  • yosi wrote:
    Sweet! Now I have some fun reading to do at work... :D
    I liked this one for the Jeff quote, but this sentence is all wrong, right?

Of course, hard-core fans will still be able to quickly identify those familiar Stone Gossard riffs on the roaring opener, "Brain of J," and Vedder's contemplative lyrics on "Pilate" and the hymn-like "Low Light."

That's Mike's riff and Jeff's lyrics. And he interview Mike and Jeff!

Argh.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    All Jeff.

oooooh. Nevermind then. Are the lyrics credits in the booklet? I need to pick that up again.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.

Of course, hard-core fans will still be able to quickly identify those familiar Stone Gossard riffs on the roaring opener, "Brain of J," and Vedder's contemplative lyrics on "Pilate" and the hymn-like "Low Light."

Argh.

That's the point. If you read the next line, he tells you that the hardcore fan would be wrong to think that (I was confused and had to read it like 6 times). He just wanted to show how different this album is from the previous ones and that it breaks the mold from what we're used too.

It was a great article. Very Yieldy, all about giving yourself over and just letting things roll. Trying to get over egos and just go with the flow. I guess that really is what the album is about :p
  • yosi wrote:
    That's the point. If you read the next line, he tells you that the hardcore fan would be wrong to think that (I was confused and had to read it like 6 times). He just wanted to show how different this album is from the previous ones and that it breaks the mold from what we're used too.

It was a great article. Very Yieldy, all about giving yourself over and just letting things roll. Trying to get over egos and just go with the flow. I guess that really is what the album is about :p
    haa.

I haven't read this in years and my eyes hit that and I got pissed off and gave up.
    Thank you for your patience.

haa.

I haven't read this in years and my eyes hit that and I got pissed off and gave up.
    Thank you for your patience.

Sho' thing. Its a very good article.

Argh.

Par for the course for Guitar World. When I first started playing, I subscribed to it for a year, but there were SO many inaccuracies and ridiculous opinion based articles that I never renewed my subscription.

RockKing wrote:
    Par for the course for Guitar World. When I first started playing, I subscribed to it for a year, but there were SO many inaccuracies and ridiculous opinion based articles that I never renewed my subscription.

Read my post on the last page (or keep reading the article) to see why it makes sense.
    yosi wrote:
    Read my post on the last page (or keep reading the article) to see why it makes sense.

Well, this particular article may be ok, but that doesn't change my general feelings about Guitar World Magazine. "Journalism", my ass.

RockKing wrote:
    Well, this particular article may be ok, but that doesn't change my general feelings about Guitar World Magazine. "Journalism", my ass.

I have no idea seeing that I don't really read GW.
  • RockKing wrote:
    "Journalism", my ass.

I'm reading Chuck Klosterman's IV right now. Good, funny book.

Someone posted this last year...his article on how the music died in February of 1998.
    http://www.spinmagazine.com/features/magazine/columns/chuck_klosterman/2006/01/060122_chuck_column/
    I'm reading Chuck Klosterman's IV right now. Good, funny book.

Someone posted this last year...his article on how the music died in February of 1998.
    http://www.spinmagazine.com/features/magazine/columns/chuck_klosterman/2006/01/060122_chuck_column/

Funny but dumb article. It would have made more sense had taken a magazine from the end of the year, instead of the one month after the year started... :rolleyes: