Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Faith vs. Free Will.

Hmmm....sounds familiar.

I think connections could be drawn upon.

PBM

Fate vs Coincidence

That one's my favorite.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    I watched that show once. Looked like a bunch of models on an island trying to kill each other.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Pushing those buttons?

"M.Y.T.H. is…
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    I watched that show once. Looked like a bunch of models on an island trying to kill each other.

that's hilarious.

actually, i find the plot to be really forced. the opposite of yield.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    actually, i find the plot to be really forced. the opposite of yield.

However, the underlying themes and subtle hints are a nice reminder of said album/group of 1998.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    Pushing those buttons?

"M.Y.T.H. is…
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out"

PBM

while a "box of fear" sounds very lost island-y, I'm still inclined to think that it is referring to setting personal boundaries and limitations on one's potential. :)
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    I'm still inclined to think that it is referring to setting personal boundaries and limitations on one's potential. :)

Yes, that seems reasonable...I've always assumed it's religious connotations...and in more recent years, we've seen that become more and more apparent.

PBM

• Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    distantsun wrote:
    while a "box of fear" sounds very lost island-y, I'm still inclined to think that it is referring to setting personal boundaries and limitations on one's potential. :)

no, its faith vs. free will. this dichotomy in the show is highlighted constantly and very YIELDy. Its also filmed in Hawaii, which as weve discussed (although before your time NOOB), is the most YIELDy state. So there.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Its also filmed in Hawaii

And, in addition to Austrailia (from which the plot revolves around), these are two of the places where Pearl Jam got to play songs off of YIELD with MJI.

Hmmm....

PBM

• Options
    BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    BlkFlg wrote:
    no, its faith vs. free will. this dichotomy in the show is highlighted constantly and very YIELDy. Its also filmed in Hawaii, which as weve discussed (although before your time NOOB), is the most YIELDy state. So there.

Actually I believe we decided that much like Lost, Hawaii's main similarity to YIELD is that some of us happen to like it.

And don't be too hard on the n00bs - all are welcome in the Yield thread(s). Teamwork.

I will now return to lurker mode. braino out.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

i might be a NOOB but i have things to offer. :(
  • Options
    Also, dude, n00b is not the preferred nomenclature. The new people, please.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i might be a NOOB but i have things to offer. :(

You're too well-verse to be new...new handle maybe...but not new.

We come in peace.

Enjoy, discuss, listen.

PBM

• Options

Haha, nice. Can't beat a good Lebowski reference.

Anyway, just to sum up some of my thoughts about these posts I've missed since lunch....Braino is right, Hawaii is not YIELDy at all in pronciple, only in the fact that both Hawaii and YIELD are awesome (I assume...never actually been to Hawaii). I think Lost has some elements that definitely represent YIELD. The conflict over internal and external forces, the desire to persevere, and the ultimate goal (for most of the characters) of making change....and I don't just mean getting off the island, I mean change in their actual lives back home...they all yearn to be better people, it seems. So I guess now that I think about it, I can come up with some clear similarities. Even through Ishmael's slant you have the whole battle of givers vs takers (although I suppose you could debate which group is which).

However, all that being said, I still go back to my original point that I never really thought of Lost as being a YIELDy show until BlkFlg brought it up. Usually, it's the kind of thing I pick up on rather quickly. So is it or isn't it? I'm not sure. All I know is that it's one hell of a show.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Haha, nice. Can't beat a good Lebowski reference.

Anyway, just to sum up some of my thoughts about these posts I've missed since lunch....Braino is right, Hawaii is not YIELDy at all in pronciple, only in the fact that both Hawaii and YIELD are awesome (I assume...never actually been to Hawaii). I think Lost has some elements that definitely represent YIELD. The conflict over internal and external forces, the desire to persevere, and the ultimate goal (for most of the characters) of making change....and I don't just mean getting off the island, I mean change in their actual lives back home...they all yearn to be better people, it seems. So I guess now that I think about it, I can come up with some clear similarities. Even through Ishmael's slant you have the whole battle of givers vs takers (although I suppose you could debate which group is which).

However, all that being said, I still go back to my original point that I never really thought of Lost as being a YIELDy show until BlkFlg brought it up. Usually, it's the kind of thing I pick up on rather quickly. So is it or isn't it? I'm not sure. All I know is that it's one hell of a show.
    Im halfway through season 2 and its addicting! i know people dont like the second season, but if this season is bad, man I cant wait for season 3!!!
  • Options

God did I destroy In and Out last weekend after seeing the Decemberists at the Hollywood Bowl. Also, Andrew Bird and Band of Horses were there. band of Horses strongly resembles MMJ, who have a clear connection to YIELD.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Im halfway through season 2 and its addicting! i know people dont like the second season, but if this season is bad, man I cant wait for season 3!!!

Oh man, you have no idea how good that show is about to get. The Season 3 finale was instant water cooler buzz. My entire office was talking about it the next day.

• Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    God did I destroy In and Out last weekend after seeing the Decemberists at the Hollywood Bowl. Also, Andrew Bird and Band of Horses were there. band of Horses strongly resembles MMJ, who have a clear connection to YIELD.
    Yeah.
    RK may like them more than MMJ.

:O
  • Options
    Yeah.
    RK may like them more than MMJ.

:O

from what i understand, RK also listens to pop punk sometimes.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Options

bingo, stranger.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:

Hmm, I don't think I do.

• Options
    I hate to pull a Wally, but I need to steer this thread back to the topic at hand.

There appears to be new Trivia for SVT at IMDB.

PBM

• Options

Yeah, god bless Blink 182 and Fall Out Boy.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Yeah, god bless Blink 182 and Fall Out Boy.

i don't think they write about transcendence and evolution much.

do they?
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i don't think they write about transcendence and evolution much.

do they?

I think they write about dancing and text messaging.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I think they write about dancing and text messaging.
    Like Pete Rose, you made it to 4,000.
  • Options
    On the Minn '98 version of ATY....Ed says, "Use your mind to escape"...this isn't on the studio version, is it?

PBM

• Options
    I hate to pull a Wally, but I need to steer this thread back to the topic at hand.

There appears to be new Trivia for SVT at IMDB.

PBM
    What else could we add?

They combine different versions on some of the songs...check out the changing clothes and guitars...
  • Options
    On the Minn '98 version of ATY....Ed says, "Use your mind to escape"...this isn't on the studio version, is it?

PBM
    'there's still time'

right?