Yield

Comments

• My brain hurts.
    :D

Good weekend, everyone.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    distantsun wrote:
    yes but yielding doesn't mean quitting. or stopping. that's why it's a yield sign and not a stop sign.

Look it up.

"YIELD to pressure"

Different prospective.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I Love Yield!!! lol

Why didn't anyone ever tell me how great this record is???? :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    Listening to Gods' Dice...quite a companion piece to FAITHFULL.

Also, I looked up the word, "Resignate" but couldn't find it's meaning. Was he shooting for "resinate" instead?

PBM

We all know Ed likes his -ation words.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I Love Yield!!! lol

Why didn't anyone ever tell me how great this record is???? :)

i did ya nut....:p:D:D
    We all know Ed likes his -ation words.

That's a Jeff tune...I had to look it up as well.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    That's a Jeff tune...I had to look it up as well.

PBM

He also likes -nce words. Insignificance, Grievance, Indifference, etc...
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • He also likes -nce words. Insignificance, Grievance, Indifference, etc...
    Any other insights to Ed's preferences of suffixes?
    Do we have this archived somewhere?
    ;)

Yes, it refers to Mihkail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, a novel about a character referred to as The Master, writing a book about Pontius Pilate.

Pilate has a dog in the book named Banga and the dog is his only solace from the torture imposed on him by sentencing Jesus to death. So when Ed sings "like Pilate, I have a dog" he means that there's one thing he has that keeps him going, even in the face of misery and doom.

That's the short answer, at least.

So PBW went down to our public library today...I had her look this one up for me...no luck. Looks like I'll have to search a book store and buy it.

PBM

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i listened to the entire yield CD @ work today.

i worked in the emergency room , and i couldnt help myself in blasting it up loud for no way .

awesome song, especially really really loud.

oh and i just recently got one of these

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i listened to the entire yield CD @ work today.

i worked in the emergency room , and i couldnt help myself in blasting it up loud for no way .

awesome song, especially really really loud.

:)

No Way strikes me as the perfect ER song, actually.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    So PBW went down to our public library today...I had her look this one up for me...no luck. Looks like I'll have to search a book store and buy it.

While she was there, I had her look up Charles Bukowski as well. Nothing.

PBM

• While she was there, I had her look up Charles Bukowski as well. Nothing.

PBM
    Yeah, they are fairly obscure. I've never read any of Bukowski's novels, and he has a few of those too.

I know I found an old copy of Master & Margarita at the library here, but it was in storage, they had to fetch it for me.

One interesting thing about M&M is that it wasn't really released until the 1960s in installments in Russian magazines and it was highly edited for political content. Not until the 1970s was it really translated and popularized in English. It sat on the shelf unread for twenty years and it's a miracle it ever saw the light of day at all.
    I was lying in bed awake at night... oh wait, wrong album...

thinking about "the love he receives is the love that is saved"

Can we talk about this? I have questions, but no time right now.
  • http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0679760806/ref=pd_bbs_olp_1/002-9204196-0396059?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184595155&sr=8-1

There's a fine translation. $4 used, $10 for a new copy.

meme wrote:
    thinking about "the love he receives is the love that is saved"
    Can we talk about this? I have questions, but no time right now.

Well, I guess the first part is to define who 'he' is.

He could’ve tuned in, tuned in
    But he tuned out
    A bad time, nothing could save him
    Alone in a corridor, waiting, locked out
    He got up outta there, ran for hundreds of miles
    He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree
    The wind rose up, set him down on his knee

A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
    Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at him now"
    Arms wide open with the sea as his floor
    Oh, power, oh

He's.. flying
    Whole…
    High.. wide, oh

He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share
    His key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere
    But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed
    By faceless men, well, fuckers
    He still stands

And he still gives his love, he just gives it away
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
    A human being that was given to fly

High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    He’s…flying
    Oh, oh

I think it means that the more you give, the more you get and the more you get, the more you can give away.
    I think it means that the more you give, the more you get and the more you get, the more you can give away.

Chris Farley: Awesome!!!

PBM

Thank you...when I get a few extra bucks (and with PissBottleBoy...those moments are few and far between)...I will invest in a copy.

PBM

• RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Chris Farley: Awesome!!!

PBM

Dammit....Beat me to it.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • RockKing wrote:
    Dammit....Beat me to it.
    Did David Spade say this in a movie or something?

Good minds think alike.
    Did David Spade say this in a movie or something?

During the Chris Farley show on SNL, Sir Paul gave a similar answer.

Chris Farley: Right. I think we.. I think we got time for one more question. Uh.. remember when you were in The Beatles? And, um, you did that album Abbey Road, and at the very end of the song, it would.. the song goes, "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"? You.. you remember that?

Paul McCartney: Yes.

Chris Farley: Uh.. is that true?

Paul McCartney: Yes, Chris. In my experience, it is. I find, the more you give, the more you get.

Chris Farley [ ecstatic, starts to point at Paul and mouth "AWESOME!" ]

PBM

• Speaking of which, Abbey Road is one of those ultimate albums that requires a listen all the way through.

Certainly one of YIELD's ancestors.
    Certainly one of YIELD's ancestors.

Hmmm, is that a new topic I smell? What other albums are at the top of YIELD's family tree?

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    RockKing wrote:
    Hmmm, is that a new topic I smell? What other albums are at the top of YIELD's family tree?

That's a hard one for me...I usually don't listen to albums in their entirety...I really have to like a group to listen to the whole thing.

Sadly, there are numerous Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rollings Stones, et al songs that have gone unlistened.

PBM

• DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Listening to PJ in the emergency room?

Pretty funny
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • RockKing wrote:
    Well, when talking about classic albums like that Abbey Road and Dark Side come to mind quickly.

Finding things similar to YIELD will be hard though...since it has that balance of sounds and topics, but still has that underlying theme.
    Well, when talking about classic albums like that Abbey Road and Dark Side come to mind quickly.

Finding things similar to YIELD will be hard though...since it has that balance of sounds and topics, but still has that underlying theme.

Dark Side is an excellent choice. One might think The Wall would be the better fit, due to the linear story line, but the story in The Wall is too straight forward to be related to YIELD. Dark Side is better because of the cohesive sound of the album, and that's where the story can be found in Dark Side....in the music.

Rather than an ancestor of YIELD, I can think of one descendent of YIELD, and that would be Bad Religion's "Process of Belief". Very similar style of storytelling and linear themes. Again, it's definitely more intentional than YIELD, but I would definitely consider it a descendent of YIELD.

That's a hard one for me...I usually don't listen to albums in their entirety...I really have to like a group to listen to the whole thing.

Sadly, there are numerous Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rollings Stones, et al songs that have gone unlistened.

PBM

Really? That's fascinating because I am the exact opposite. I rarely just skip around and listen to random songs. If I want to hear a song, I will just listen to the entire album. I suppose that's somewhat sad, but it's true.

RockKing wrote:
    If I want to hear a song, I will just listen to the entire album. I suppose that's somewhat sad, but it's true.

No, that's great. To paraphrase Jerry, "I don't want to watch TV, I want to watch what else is on TV"....I'm constantly flipping through things.

PBM

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    RockKing wrote:

you guys mentioned "where the streets have no name" earlier so could the joshua tree be a contender?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0679760806/ref=pd_bbs_olp_1/002-9204196-0396059?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184595155&sr=8-1

There's a fine translation. $4 used, $10 for a new copy.

Well, I guess the first part is to define who 'he' is.

He could’ve tuned in, tuned in
    But he tuned out
    A bad time, nothing could save him
    Alone in a corridor, waiting, locked out
    He got up outta there, ran for hundreds of miles
    He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree
    The wind rose up, set him down on his knee

A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
    Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at him now"
    Arms wide open with the sea as his floor
    Oh, power, oh

He's.. flying
    Whole…
    High.. wide, oh

He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share
    His key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere
    But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed
    By faceless men, well, fuckers
    He still stands

And he still gives his love, he just gives it away
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
    A human being that was given to fly

High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    He’s…flying
    Oh, oh

Well, I don't buy the Jesus nor the "some kind of set historical figure" interpretation. I think it could be ourselves (Ed for him) at times, or also someone we think saved us in some way. I always think of a good friend who overcame incredible obstacles to find himself and has "unlocked the key to the chains he saw in me"

What kept me awake last night was this thought... I've been visiting an old friend of mine in a nursing home. I fucking hate nursing homes. They terrify me. They are the most depressing places ever. So you peek through the rooms and you see these people half living, just lying in bed.
    It made me think in negative about someone in my life who is pretty close to get there and has done absolutely nothing to ensure that people will take care of him in old age... the lyrics changed in my mind to "the love that he gives is the love that is saved". In his case, the love he hasn't given is the love that is not saved. And that led me to wonder what those lines mean. Or rather, what they could mean.