Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    On the Minn '98 version of ATY....Ed says, "Use your mind to escape"...this isn't on the studio version, is it?

PBM

isn't it "free your mind and escape" right before he goes into "there's still time..." and then there's that bad ass solo?
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    They combine different versions on some of the songs...check out the changing clothes and guitars...

I wonder how many days this was produced over...Ed sports the camo pants one day and Mike has his Cambell soup shirt on one day too.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    isn't it "free your mind and escape" right before he goes into "there's still time..." and then there's that bad ass solo?

Not on the studio version or the Minn '98 version...just "Use your mind to escape".

Nice lyrical alteration.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    I wonder how many days this was produced over...Ed sports the camo pants one day and Mike has his Cambell soup shirt on one day too.

PBM

look dude, it's about the music. i don't want to hear about their clothes or hair.

:)

seriously though- there is a big difference between those two lines. i like the album better.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    look dude, it's about the music. i don't want to hear about their clothes or hair.

Ha...just using the articles of clothing as a frame of reference..."Take my hand...not my picture".

PBM

• Options
    distantsun wrote:
    seriously though- there is a big difference between those two lines. i like the album better.

One's passive and the other is active.

Quite a difference...

PBM

• Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Like Pete Rose, you made it to 4,000.

What a waste of a milestone. It's like Craig Biggio getting thrown out trying to stretch his 3,000th hit into a double. Sorry gang. I used to write decent milestone posts. So, to make up for my 4,000th post, I give you a replay of my post #2010 from another world:
    RockKing wrote:
    2010 watch it go to fire!!! As far as I'm concerned, the fire was lit in 1998 with the release of YIELD. 8 years later I still listen to this album on an almost daily basis. It has changed my life in so many ways, and to this day it still guides my life. I love music in general, I love Pearl Jam, and I love all their albums (yes, I actually even enjoy listening to Riot Act every now and then). But no single album has impacted me the way YIELD has. And to have a thread where I can talk with other people who feel the same way as I do is nothing short of overwhelming. Thank you to the YFC Council for starting this thread and thank you to everyone else who posts in this thread. We are a family in many ways, and now that I've been posting in this thread for a while, I can't imagine not having it as a part of my life.

So for this, post #2010 for me, I don't view it as an end, but as a continued beginning of discovery as we continue to dicuss this album. It seems like every week we come up with a new angle or a new way of looking at some song or aspect of YIELD. And that's what this is all about. THANK YOU!!!

I pretty much feel the same way to this day.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    RockKing wrote:
    I think they write about dancing and text messaging.

The idea of Fallout Boy writing songs about dancing & text messaging just makes me laught. Awesome!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:

I agree on both points. "there's still time" does a better job of leaving the song (and, I guess, album) sort of open ended. "use your mind" would probably force to rethink a lot of our logic. It's not coincidence which line made it in on the record, either.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    One's passive and the other is active.

Quite a difference...

PBM

exactly.

do you think it's intentional?

or is it this thread giving him way too much credit once again??
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    "use your mind" would probably force to rethink a lot of our logic. It's not coincidence which line made it in on the record, either.

I went back and listened to PMPM..."I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine, still in it"

That's seems a tad on the passive side.

PBM

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I agree on both points. "there's still time" does a better job of leaving the song (and, I guess, album) sort of open ended. "use your mind" would probably force to rethink a lot of our logic. It's not coincidence which line made it in on the record, either.
    This reminds me a little bit of Low Light being played live...
    on the record it says, "I need the light"

but live he's said sometimes: "I don't need the light"

I blame it, however, on the wine.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:

i've always loved how "there's still time" is in that very last thrust of the album. it gives it a sense of urgency. do your yielding...now.
  • Options

We base many of our most poignant conversations on the words of a wineaux. ;)

PBM

• Options

Frankly, so do I. Many times when he tried to ad-lib lines live, he tends to completely butcher the original meanings. Especially in the last 5 years or so. I tend to the think the wine is a factor. I think another smaller factor is the simple fact that he's a different person than he was when he wrote 80% of the catalogue.

• Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i've always loved how "there's still time" is in that very last thrust of the album. it gives it a sense of urgency. do your yielding...now.

Yeah, but "escape" brings up a lot of negative connotations as well.

PBM

• Options
    distantsun wrote:

That's a very cool interpretation of that line. It's a little different than the way I interpreted it. I've always felt it was their way of saying that escape will always be an option no matter what, but you could also look at him as saying, 'because there's still time to escape, you need to YIELD right NOW.' I like that.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Frankly, so do I. Many times when he tried to ad-lib lines live, he tends to completely butcher the original meanings. Especially in the last 5 years or so. I tend to the think the wine is a factor. I think another smaller factor is the simple fact that he's a different person than he was when he wrote 80% of the catalogue.
    Right. And just being on stage, the lights and the crowd and 100+ songs floating around in there, I give him a break. Accuracy is not the objective live.

But it presents us with interesting Freudian conundrums.
  • Options
    but live he's said sometimes: "I don't need the light"

He did this on Benaroya Hall '03...and it was fairly early in the set.

PBM

• Options
    Listening to Gods' Dice...quite a companion piece to FAITHFULL.

Also, I looked up the word, "Resignate" but couldn't find it's meaning. Was he shooting for "resinate" instead?

PBM

• Options
    Actually, there seems to be a lot that I've missed on Binaural.

Listen to Evacuation again.

"...A vision, vague or not, raising a frightful wake-you-up

Time for... Evacuation... Evacuation... Evacuation...
    Evacuation..."

It's like the aftermath of YIELD...literally and figuratively.

PBM

• Options
    Listening to Gods' Dice...quite a companion piece to FAITHFULL.

Also, I looked up the word, "Resignate" but couldn't find it's meaning. Was he shooting for "resinate" instead?

PBM
    A quick google search turned up many 'Bushisms'...

I think Jeff made up a word off of resign/resignation...

The urban dictionary has it:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=resignate
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:

I've been discussing this with YIH...and I hate to bring it up...but perhaps there's a darker side to it:

YIELD-"to give up or surrender"

It's something to consider. I'm not buying into it, but it's an interpretation.

PBM

• Options
    I've been discussing this with YIH...and I hate to bring it up...but perhaps there's a darker side to it:

PBM

i will 100% not be on board with this theory. it does not work within the framework which has been built with the information we *do* have- SVT and of course the role of yield in the terms of the band's history, etc.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i will 100% not be on board with this theory. it does not work within the framework which has been built with the information we *do* have- SVT and of course the role of yield in the terms of the band's history, etc.

Listen...I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's what this thread is about...examining the possibilities. If you look at it a certain way, there is a negative side to it.

I see it as the glass half full...but, I can see interpretations of the opposite.

It all started with that damn '98 Minn ATY I heard today.

PBM

• Options
    Listen...I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's what this thread is about...examining the possibilities. If you look at it a certain way, there is a negative side to it.

I see it as the glass half full...but, I can see interpretations of the opposite.

It all started with that damn '98 Minn ATY I heard today.

PBM

i agree. i think almost any theory is worth examining. although, i *also* have learned that the absence of evidence is not evidence.

take that, LSAT.
  • Options
    I'll try to give a better explaination of my theory later...it just happens to be quitting time.

This is what they call, in the world of television, a cliffhanger.

PBM

• Options

PBM
    I'll echo sun on this one.

I think I can agree with the definition, but it's about giving up to something else, not just giving up entirely. It's giving up one way of thinking, of living, for another. Not simply quitting.
  • Options
    I think I can agree with the definition, but it's about giving up to something else, not just giving up entirely. It's giving up one way of thinking, of living, for another. Not simply quitting.

Look at some of those lyrics towards the end of the album though...take them into consideration. There are many negative ways to escape...alcohol, drugs, etc...

PBM

• Options
    I'll echo sun on this one.

yes but yielding doesn't mean quitting. or stopping. that's why it's a yield sign and not a stop sign.

it's to give way.

we heard it from the horse's mouth.

:)