Options

Beheaded by ISIS

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    what makes America stand out as a great country ? ..if one has to ask that then they have no idea what America offers, one might ask why do millions of citizens of other countries come to America ?
    did you know that 1 in 10 citizens in L.A are here illegally..and they all can leave IMO, but anyway ask that of a Vet..brothers,sisters,fathers,mothers have all fought to keep America great dispite what the anti war hippies might say and ugly as war is with out them where would we be right now ?
    there are other great countries but I and many others are Americans and we don't have to explain anything to anybody.

Godfather.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Thank you Hedonist,
    Yes, it's a cultural thing, we are very proud when our country does well in sports and such but we are kind of bad at celebrating our national holiday.

I once got the question; How old is your country? I was like what how old? Hasn't it always been there : )
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

h

heads up where ? and some have thier heads in the sand...... I'll end this with an old stand by....anybody not happy in America may leave to the country of thier choice,hurry don't miss the boat and take a friend with you and have the time of your lives ! I wish you well.

Godfather.

One of my faves too GF. It's obvious many on here have a inner hate for this country, and not just its policies. Extremists that wish death to America are amongst us…a lot closer than you think.
    Nope, there are just people that have different opinions to your own. You think America is the greatest country in the world, I don't - I would certainly never wish death upon anybody, and certainly not to an entire nation.
    Yes, I do think America is the greatest country in the world….There is plenty of room on the moon pal…And there are plenty of people I wish death upon. I guess that's our difference in opinion..GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!
    Why the moon?

And what exactly is America greatest in the world for? genuine question, what are the categories where America comes out?
    I agree with Dan 100%.I also believe we are the greatest country in the world and I'm proud to be American.
    As to your above question I'll just breeze thru a couple little items that kinda stand out as American Greatness.
    Electricity,refrigeration,Telephone,Light bulbs,automobiles,Air conditioning,Real Football(NFL),Southern Girls,Pearl Jam,Baseball,Flight,Television,$ spent on humanitarian aid world wide and next country is not even close,Rock n Roll that's just the first few.
    Oh and that freedom to say whatever the fuck you want or worship however you want.yeah we back that up also.
    Electricity: shown to exist by English scientist William Gilbert in the 1600s.

Refrigeration: harvesting ice and snow seasonally is a concept used before 1000 BC in China. Refrigeration machines were designed as early as 1755 by Scottish professor William Cullen.

Telephone: Officially recorded as being invented by Alexander Graham Bell - born in Scotland, raised in Canada.

Light bulbs: shown first by Humphry Davy (English descent) in 1802.

Automobiles: a steam-powered vehicle existed in 1672 in China by a Flemish Jesuit missionary called Ferdinand Verbiest.

Air conditioning: in ancient Egypt, reeds were hung in windows and moistened with trickling water: the evaporation cooled the blowing air (at the same time inventing humidifiers). Ancient Rome used aqueduct waters in walls to cool (like modern high-end CPU tower cooling).

"Real Football": a country's greatness is based on its sports successes? Are you fucking kidding me?

"Southern Girls": once again - are you fucking kidding me?

"Pearl Jam": yes - even this one - are you fucking kidding me (from here on in referred to as AYFKM)?

Baseball: based on an old French game called la soule. Also - AYFKM?

Television: also referred to as the boob tube, is probably the second largest contributor towards obesity - one of the world's most major avoidable killers. What might be first? Low-quality, commoditized fast food - a truly American invention.

Dollars spent on humanitarian aid: in 2013, that number was $4.7 billion, which sounds great, until you compare it to the "defence" budget of $640 billion in the same year. Worth noting is that America typically leads the way far and beyond other countries in defence spendings as well as humanitarian aid. In order for this to be a net positive year for America (from a humanitarian perspective), that would mean that the assumption is that less than 0.8% of that defence budget created humanitarian issues. I don't buy it.

Rock 'n' roll: an amalgamation of different kinds of music - but most notably, the music of oppressed black slaves in the South, whose gospel-driven blues where they expressed their misery at the hands of white Americans became the basis of most modern rock and jazz. Oh, and historically, those same black citizens were denied the right to play that music anywhere in the mainstream for years, and were paid less than their (typically inferior) white counterparts. Funny how that works.

America? The greatest? Maybe the greatest bastard (been listening to Damien Rice a lot lately - for anyone who hasn't heard the song, it's fantastic).

By the way - while I was born and raised in Canada, my dad's an American, and I inherited his citizenship.

Sorry for the rant, but as I said: pride has to be one of the most destructive emotions out there.
    Ben,you know I appreciate your responses. You are Always the smartest guy in the room and I could never keep up with you discussing the finer points of our existence.But your diving way to deep into my pseudo smart ass reply to moon pig.
    And no I'm not fucking kidding you about southern girls.Take a trip down here and see for yourself.You will thank me.
    Fyi - Pride does not equal blind allegence.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995
    rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

h

heads up where ? and some have thier heads in the sand...... I'll end this with an old stand by....anybody not happy in America may leave to the country of thier choice,hurry don't miss the boat and take a friend with you and have the time of your lives ! I wish you well.

Godfather.

One of my faves too GF. It's obvious many on here have a inner hate for this country, and not just its policies. Extremists that wish death to America are amongst us…a lot closer than you think.
    Nope, there are just people that have different opinions to your own. You think America is the greatest country in the world, I don't - I would certainly never wish death upon anybody, and certainly not to an entire nation.
    Yes, I do think America is the greatest country in the world….There is plenty of room on the moon pal…And there are plenty of people I wish death upon. I guess that's our difference in opinion..GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!
    Why the moon?

And what exactly is America greatest in the world for? genuine question, what are the categories where America comes out?
    I agree with Dan 100%.I also believe we are the greatest country in the world and I'm proud to be American.
    As to your above question I'll just breeze thru a couple little items that kinda stand out as American Greatness.
    Electricity,refrigeration,Telephone,Light bulbs,automobiles,Air conditioning,Real Football(NFL),Southern Girls,Pearl Jam,Baseball,Flight,Television,$ spent on humanitarian aid world wide and next country is not even close,Rock n Roll that's just the first few.
    Oh and that freedom to say whatever the fuck you want or worship however you want.yeah we back that up also.

Refrigeration: harvesting ice and snow seasonally is a concept used before 1000 BC in China. Refrigeration machines were designed as early as 1755 by Scottish professor William Cullen.

Telephone: Officially recorded as being invented by Alexander Graham Bell - born in Scotland, raised in Canada.

Automobiles: a steam-powered vehicle existed in 1672 in China by a Flemish Jesuit missionary called Ferdinand Verbiest.

Air conditioning: in ancient Egypt, reeds were hung in windows and moistened with trickling water: the evaporation cooled the blowing air (at the same time inventing humidifiers). Ancient Rome used aqueduct waters in walls to cool (like modern high-end CPU tower cooling).

"Real Football": a country's greatness is based on its sports successes? Are you fucking kidding me?

"Pearl Jam": yes - even this one - are you fucking kidding me (from here on in referred to as AYFKM)?

Television: also referred to as the boob tube, is probably the second largest contributor towards obesity - one of the world's most major avoidable killers. What might be first? Low-quality, commoditized fast food - a truly American invention.

Dollars spent on humanitarian aid: in 2013, that number was $4.7 billion, which sounds great, until you compare it to the "defence" budget of $640 billion in the same year. Worth noting is that America typically leads the way far and beyond other countries in defence spendings as well as humanitarian aid. In order for this to be a net positive year for America (from a humanitarian perspective), that would mean that the assumption is that less than 0.8% of that defence budget created humanitarian issues. I don't buy it.

Rock 'n' roll: an amalgamation of different kinds of music - but most notably, the music of oppressed black slaves in the South, whose gospel-driven blues where they expressed their misery at the hands of white Americans became the basis of most modern rock and jazz. Oh, and historically, those same black citizens were denied the right to play that music anywhere in the mainstream for years, and were paid less than their (typically inferior) white counterparts. Funny how that works.

America? The greatest? Maybe the greatest bastard (been listening to Damien Rice a lot lately - for anyone who hasn't heard the song, it's fantastic).

By the way - while I was born and raised in Canada, my dad's an American, and I inherited his citizenship.

Sorry for the rant, but as I said: pride has to be one of the most destructive emotions out there.
    Ben,you know I appreciate your responses. You are Always the smartest guy in the room and I could never keep up with you discussing the finer points of our existence.But your diving way to deep into my pseudo smart ass reply to moon pig.
    And no I'm not fucking kidding you about southern girls.Take a trip down here and see for yourself.You will thank me.
    rr, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not - but either way, I know I'm far from the smartest guy in the room, and I'm sorry if I come across with that smugness or arrogance - it's something I'm trying to work on, so thanks for the reminder :) . There's such an absurd amount to learn on here, and even if we're on opposite ends of the spectrum in our opinions, I appreciate everything you post here: you always come up with ideas that get me thinking. Most recently - this very post.

PS, I've been to New Orleans once before, and to Florida a number of times. Any women I've met from America's south have been (for the most part) gorgeous, hospitable, and sweet. That being said, I still just don't find those reasons to be proud of a country. I've met gorgeous, hospitable, and sweet women in a number of different countries.

I agree with you that pride does not equal blind allegiance, but I think sometimes those who live proud lives fall into the dangerous trap of letting that lead to ego and elitist or self-righteous ideals that follow. Not all, mind you - you're 100% right about that. I suppose if I were to rephrase what I said, I'd say that pride should be demonstrated with caution.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I''ll play!

Items 1 - 6: Early Tech America was good at taking those early ideas and then perfecting them, putting them into either mass production or mass infrastructure ... something we were pretty good at until Japan started to use the same tactic in the 60's.

Item 7: Sports Greatness Look at the top 15 medal count in each of the past Olympics. There is a correlation with how well a country is doing.

Item 8: Women of the South According to PB's Girls of the SEC ... Yes.

Item 9: Pearl Jam They saved us from the music of the 80's, so bonus points for America

Item 10: Baseball Baseball, otherwise known as the most boring professional sport in America. Europe can call dibs on that for all I care.

Item 11: TV / Entertainment In regards to manufacture of TV, that fault lies on Japan. I don't think a TV has been manufacture in the US in over three decades. Thanks for making us fat, Japan!

In regards to overall entertainment industry, America owns this (with the exception of Hollywood production companies moving filming to other countries for tax breaks ... which is ironic for an industry that leans to the left. All hail the mighty dollar!)

Item 12: Rock & Roll I'll give the Brits credit here, mainly because the US really, really, really, really, really really, really fucked things up with music in the 80's.

Summary

We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt.
  • Options
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

h

Godfather.

Why the moon?

rr, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not - but either way, I know I'm far from the smartest guy in the room, and I'm sorry if I come across with that smugness or arrogance - it's something I'm trying to work on, so thanks for the reminder :) . There's such an absurd amount to learn on here, and even if we're on opposite ends of the spectrum in our opinions, I appreciate everything you post here: you always come up with ideas that get me thinking. Most recently - this very post.

PS, I've been to New Orleans once before, and to Florida a number of times. Any women I've met from America's south have been (for the most part) gorgeous, hospitable, and sweet. That being said, I still just don't find those reasons to be proud of a country. I've met gorgeous, hospitable, and sweet women in a number of different countries.

I agree with you that pride does not equal blind allegiance, but I think sometimes those who live proud lives fall into the dangerous trap of letting that lead to ego and elitist or self-righteous ideals that follow. Not all, mind you - you're 100% right about that. I suppose if I were to rephrase what I said, I'd say that pride should be demonstrated with caution.
    No,I wasn't being sarcastic.lol
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Jason P said:

I''ll play!

Items 1 - 6: Early Tech America was good at taking those early ideas and then perfecting them, putting them into either mass production or mass infrastructure ... something we were pretty good at until Japan started to use the same tactic in the 60's.

Item 7: Sports Greatness Look at the top 15 medal count in each of the past Olympics. There is a correlation with how well a country is doing.

Item 9: Pearl Jam They saved us from the music of the 80's, so bonus points for America

Item 10: Baseball Baseball, otherwise known as the most boring professional sport in America. Europe can call dibs on that for all I care.

Item 11: TV / Entertainment In regards to manufacture of TV, that fault lies on Japan. I don't think a TV has been manufacture in the US in over three decades. Thanks for making us fat, Japan!

In regards to overall entertainment industry, America owns this (with the exception of Hollywood production companies moving filming to other countries for tax breaks ... which is ironic for an industry that leans to the left. All hail the mighty dollar!)

Item 12: Rock & Roll I'll give the Brits credit here, mainly because the US really, really, really, really, really really, really fucked things up with music in the 80's.

Summary

We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt.

You now have slightly redeemed yourself for your past TB Buccaneer hate.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Thank you Muskydan for your kind words ! ; )
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

h

Godfather.

Why the moon?

Well then, I'm flattered, but all signs on here show you're more than capable of keeping up and adding good stuff to the conversation!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

h

Godfather.

Why the moon?

Well then, I'm flattered, but all signs on here show you're more than capable of keeping up and adding good stuff to the conversation!
    Please tell me you looked some of that obscure shit up(Humphry Davy,who knows that?) Because if you knew some of that off the top of your head,that's fucking scary.
  • Options
    Thomas Edison?....
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

Moonpig said:

muskydan said:

h

Godfather.

Why the moon?

Please tell me you looked some of that obscure shit up(Humphry Davy,who knows that?) Because if you knew some of that off the top of your head,that's fucking scary.
    Almost all of it :) I'm no walking encyclopedia, but I do a ton of research for my job and have gotten used to it. Plus, unless my memory fails me any time soon (very possible at my rate of combustion), I get to add it to my list of obscure and predominantly useless knowledge!

EV
  • Options
    OP
    Is there a chance you can rename this thread as to not give any credence to ispiss guys?

• Options
    Another busy day for those wacky Jihadists.
    What do we got today.
    A suicide Bomber at a bus stop offs herself and 17 others.Another group of Syrian Christians, mostly women and children kidnapped by ISIS And an American aid worker kidnapped in Nigeria.Oh yeah and the Threats for Mall attacks and other soft targets.Buisness as Usual.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

What do we got today.
    A suicide Bomber at a bus stop offs herself and 17 others.Another group of Syrian Christians, mostly women and children kidnapped by ISIS And an American aid worker kidnapped in Nigeria.Oh yeah and the Threats for Mall attacks and other soft targets.Buisness as Usual.

the CIA needs to create teams of trained killers that can mix into any crowd and start taking these sick bastards out.

Godfather.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

I''ll play!

Summary

RR, this is a serious thread about a serious topic ... Why are you trying to make it into a thread about Southern Conference NCAA football? Maybe you should start a thread in AET about the Bucs

Come on, man ...
  • Options
    Jason P said:

rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

I''ll play!

Summary

RR, this is a serious thread about a serious topic ... Why are you trying to make it into a thread about Southern Conference NCAA football? Maybe you should start a thread in AET about the Bucs

Come on, man ...
    You're so right J,and it's good to see you are in full serious mode today.I was worried there for a while.And wtf dude.Im not an SEC guy cmon,I got taste.im an ACC dude.FSU.Fear the spear.bitches.

I can't start that thread in AET,I'd be the only one posting.It would be very lonely
    .And for the record that's two shots across the bow.( Yes I'm counting)Don't you know we are football elite with the first pick in the draft. You will soon bow to our awesomeness.Playoffs 2015!!!!
  • Options

rr165892 said:

What do we got today.

the CIA needs to create teams of trained killers that can mix into any crowd and start taking these sick bastards out.

Godfather.

Works for me
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

I''ll play!

Summary

Come on, man ...
    You're so right J,and it's good to see you are in full serious mode today.I was worried there for a while.And wtf dude.Im not an SEC guy cmon,I got taste.im an ACC dude.FSU.Fear the spear.bitches.

I can't start that thread in AET,I'd be the only one posting.It would be very lonely
    .And for the record that's two shots across the bow.( Yes I'm counting)Don't you know we are football elite with the first pick in the draft. You will soon bow to our awesomeness.Playoffs 2015!!!!
    I'm in serious mode 60% of the time ... 100% of the time?

• Options
    rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

I''ll play!

Summary

Come on, man ...

Jameis Winston's future 2015 Tampa Bay team page photo profile shot ...

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well done J.That was a phenomenal pull right there.Drop the Mike and walk off stage.Def was not expecting you to go there.It hurts and scares me a little (a lot)Im not gunna lie.
    Leaf looks good right.Whats he up 2 now?Are those Meth teeth?Life has been good to him indeed.I think he needs some of that Sex Panther.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options

This would have worked alsoimage
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

well then if they don't want to pay the price then they should not ask..that's about as simple as it gets.
    and besides it always turns around to bite us in the ass anyway..."they're killing babies and women"
    or after the job is complete in thier eyes they protest and tell us to leave and start burning flags and going back to the islam thing that we are infedels, war has many costs and many ugly truths so maybe these countries should be careful what they ask for.

Godfather.

I'm confused GF. So why do you support intervening if you feel they aren't grateful?

And why is US responsible for acting? What's our real interest?
    I don't but I believe if we don't the evil tht may be happening in another country could find it's way to our country likr the 9/11 attacks did, believe me I think the whole thing sucks ass.

Godfather.

I think is way too late GD. They are amongst us now as we all know. I think it's only a matter of time of when and where it happens again here.
    probably very true but the train members will make excuses for them and blame Americas anyway...

Godfather.

No GF not making excuses just understand ramifications from our actions.
    do we understand ramifications of others actions ? nobody is without falt.

Godfather.

We can't control others.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

well then if they don't want to pay the price then they should not ask..that's about as simple as it gets.
    and besides it always turns around to bite us in the ass anyway..."they're killing babies and women"
    or after the job is complete in thier eyes they protest and tell us to leave and start burning flags and going back to the islam thing that we are infedels, war has many costs and many ugly truths so maybe these countries should be careful what they ask for.

Godfather.

I'm confused GF. So why do you support intervening if you feel they aren't grateful?

I don't but I believe if we don't the evil tht may be happening in another country could find it's way to our country likr the 9/11 attacks did, believe me I think the whole thing sucks ass.

Godfather.

I think is way too late GD. They are amongst us now as we all know. I think it's only a matter of time of when and where it happens again here.
    probably very true but the train members will make excuses for them and blame Americas anyway...

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.
    so true but it does not mean we can not do our best to control the situation to keep America safe.

Godfather.

• Options

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.
    so true but it does not mean we can not do our best to control the situation to keep America safe.

Godfather.

It does if we need to control others to control the situation.

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

I can think of many situations where we control others to control a situation.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

Thirty - I was just going along with Callen and GF's logic here. Callen mentioned we can't control others, which GF confirmed. He then continued that we should do our best to control the situation. If you've already accepted that we can't control others, then we can't control the situation if it depends on that premise.

In any case, Callen, I'm not sure what you were implying in your sentence: can't control others as in physically incapable of doing so, or shouldn't?

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

Thirty - I was just going along with Callen and GF's logic here. Callen mentioned we can't control others, which GF confirmed. He then continued that we should do our best to control the situation. If you've already accepted that we can't control others, then we can't control the situation if it depends on that premise.

In any case, Callen, I'm not sure what you were implying in your sentence: can't control others as in physically incapable of doing so, or shouldn't?
    Got it.

I'd be curious to hear an elaboration on these two points as well.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

? would you rather they controled us ?

Godfather.