Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

well then if they don't want to pay the price then they should not ask..that's about as simple as it gets.
    and besides it always turns around to bite us in the ass anyway..."they're killing babies and women"
    or after the job is complete in thier eyes they protest and tell us to leave and start burning flags and going back to the islam thing that we are infedels, war has many costs and many ugly truths so maybe these countries should be careful what they ask for.

Godfather.

I'm confused GF. So why do you support intervening if you feel they aren't grateful?

And why is US responsible for acting? What's our real interest?
    I don't but I believe if we don't the evil tht may be happening in another country could find it's way to our country likr the 9/11 attacks did, believe me I think the whole thing sucks ass.

Godfather.

I think is way too late GD. They are amongst us now as we all know. I think it's only a matter of time of when and where it happens again here.
    probably very true but the train members will make excuses for them and blame Americas anyway...

Godfather.

No GF not making excuses just understand ramifications from our actions.
    do we understand ramifications of others actions ? nobody is without falt.

Godfather.

We can't control others.
    so true but it does not mean we can not do our best to control the situation to keep America safe.

Godfather.

It does if we need to control others to control the situation.
    ? would you rather they controled us ?

Godfather.

In a perfect world, nobody controls anyone. I'm not naive enough to think we're at a point where we're all ready to live that idealistically. That said, I don't believe that if we don't control radicals, that it implies that radicals control us. It all goes back to the 'localized vs. global' discussion (i.e. how far is the reach of the radicals), and then it also comes back to statistical analysis for me: we have enough verifiable threats to our existence that I'd rather let govern my day-to-day life, and much as it seems that we have limitless effort to spend, we do have a finite budget to work within. So, if given a choice to reallocate funds from military 'defence' to research in low-CO2 emission manufacturing or energy consumption - I'd be quick to put my support into that. In fact, since we should be making that critical pivot anyways, I'd say that by letting this 'threat' stagnate our society, our attempt to control the situation by throwing military forces (and the funds they consume) into foreign lands, the opportunity cost is the funds not divested into our (human's) futures. In this sense, Godfather, in intervening, they actually are controlling us.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

well then if they don't want to pay the price then they should not ask..that's about as simple as it gets.
    and besides it always turns around to bite us in the ass anyway..."they're killing babies and women"
    or after the job is complete in thier eyes they protest and tell us to leave and start burning flags and going back to the islam thing that we are infedels, war has many costs and many ugly truths so maybe these countries should be careful what they ask for.

Godfather.

I'm confused GF. So why do you support intervening if you feel they aren't grateful?

I don't but I believe if we don't the evil tht may be happening in another country could find it's way to our country likr the 9/11 attacks did, believe me I think the whole thing sucks ass.

Godfather.

I think is way too late GD. They are amongst us now as we all know. I think it's only a matter of time of when and where it happens again here.
    probably very true but the train members will make excuses for them and blame Americas anyway...

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.
    so true but it does not mean we can not do our best to control the situation to keep America safe.

Godfather.

I can think of many situations where we control others to control a situation.
    Thirty - I was just going along with Callen and GF's logic here. Callen mentioned we can't control others, which GF confirmed. He then continued that we should do our best to control the situation. If you've already accepted that we can't control others, then we can't control the situation if it depends on that premise.

In any case, Callen, I'm not sure what you were implying in your sentence: can't control others as in physically incapable of doing so, or shouldn't?
    We can't control the actions of others only our response to those actions. So if the Evildoers blow up few people we shouldn't go Team America and blow the shit out of the country doing more harm than good which has been our MO.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited February 2015

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

Embedding our asses in the Middle East doesn't make us safer. But we've gone round and round on this so will stop addressing.

Let's git em and blow them bastards up woo hoo.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Annafalk said:

I see nothing bad with patriotism, to be proud over your country, a feeling of belonging and connection.
    It doesn't mean that you have to look down on other countries does it?

To be proud it's a good feeling and it brings more happiness to people. It doesn't mean one can't have a critical thinking on different issues.

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that many Americans don't have a passport.
    Maybe it's because they feel no need to travel they have what they want whitin the boarders and that's great.

I'm from Sweden and I love my country but we have our problems too.

Patriotism is bull shit on every level. Sacrificing your one life for a country is nuts. Patriotism is simple mind manipulation to control human population. Unfortunately we have evolved from tribes/herds and used this trait as means of survival. One thing to enjoy your environment, culture and people around you but the Patriotism bit is insane. Eh maybe just maybe when you had wars to protect herd from invaders but now all wars fought for $$$$. Iraq was for $$$$. Not freedom or the USA. And right now the news is feeding info to get our blood flowing and PROTECT THE US. Utter BS.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rr165892 said:

Another busy day for those wacky Jihadists.
    What do we got today.
    A suicide Bomber at a bus stop offs herself and 17 others.Another group of Syrian Christians, mostly women and children kidnapped by ISIS And an American aid worker kidnapped in Nigeria.Oh yeah and the Threats for Mall attacks and other soft targets.Buisness as Usual.

And wonder how many Americans died from violence today at the hands of other Americans in America?
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

? would you rather they controled us ?

Godfather.

They've succeeded in doing this already.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Perhaps not control, but contain. Stop the spread.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

Thirty - I was just going along with Callen and GF's logic here. Callen mentioned we can't control others, which GF confirmed. He then continued that we should do our best to control the situation. If you've already accepted that we can't control others, then we can't control the situation if it depends on that premise.

In any case, Callen, I'm not sure what you were implying in your sentence: can't control others as in physically incapable of doing so, or shouldn't?
    We can't control the actions of others only our response to those actions. So if the Evildoers blow up few people we shouldn't go Team America and blow the shit out of the country doing more harm than good which has been our MO.

what do you think should be done about ISIS or any other terrorist group?

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    ISIS wants to control the world..we HAVE TO control ISIS so the they hide behind babies and women and gather up people that are not muslim and kill them and I know nobody wants to kill innocent people but guess what...it's very sad but it happens,do you think we should just throw our hands in the air and let these stupid inbred idiots just go on their merry way killing non muslims ? everybody wants peace but nobody is willing to fight for it and yes with gangs like ISIS in the world we have to fight, my buddy's son has done 4 tours in Iraq and afganastan..if you really want to know what goes on in those areas talk to somebody that has been there and knows,womwn and children kill just as fast as grown men, we don't know anything but what we see on t.v and see a few bloody pictures or films and all the sudden people are whinning about unfair deaths, and no I'm not saying it's good but this is what happens when MAN fights amungst them selfs so don't give me that crap about America being the bully.

Godfather.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,285

ISIS wants to control the world..we HAVE TO control ISIS so the they hide behind babies and women and gather up people that are not muslim and kill them and I know nobody wants to kill innocent people but guess what...it's very sad but it happens,do you think we should just throw our hands in the air and let these stupid inbred idiots just go on their merry way killing non muslims ? everybody wants peace but nobody is willing to fight for it and yes with gangs like ISIS in the world we have to fight, my buddy's son has done 4 tours in Iraq and afganastan..if you really want to know what goes on in those areas talk to somebody that has been there and knows,womwn and children kill just as fast as grown men, we don't know anything but what we see on t.v and see a few bloody pictures or films and all the sudden people are whinning about unfair deaths, and no I'm not saying it's good but this is what happens when MAN fights amungst them selfs so don't give me that crap about America being the bully.

Godfather.

you say "killing non muslims" seems to suggest that ISIS killing muslims is ok?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

Allow local countries to handle.
  • Options

Godfather.

GF,

ISIS and the Media are controlling us.

We allow it. Our fears and emotions.

We'll have more fatalities in auto accidents today in good ole USA than what ISIS will be to kill. Perspective.

Yes they suck ass but let the countries in area deal with them.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

Another busy day for those wacky Jihadists.
    What do we got today.
    A suicide Bomber at a bus stop offs herself and 17 others.Another group of Syrian Christians, mostly women and children kidnapped by ISIS And an American aid worker kidnapped in Nigeria.Oh yeah and the Threats for Mall attacks and other soft targets.Buisness as Usual.

And wonder how many Americans died from violence today at the hands of other Americans in America?
    A shit ton Cal.Tomorrow will be the same and the day after that and so on,and so on.No argument here.In the Palm Beaches where I live we have at least 2-3 murders/shootings a night.Mostly in the hood,but it's still violence.
    But this conversation isn't about our crime rates, its about the fundamentalist group ISIS and what some think should be done about them and the impact those actions have on the changing theatre of events in that part of the world.Even though I don't agree with the anti patriotism thing you were talking about,I do see your point about blind ambivalence and getting behind a fabricated script from the media.I see a little of that but I agree more with GF,Jason,I think Thirty on this and that's we cannot do nothing.Containment is crucial.At this point who created the ISIS problem and what countries activities creates the new surge in enrollment isn't as important as pushing the advances made by this group back and supporting those groups who are actively fighting them.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

With our $$$ and hardware backing them,with logistical support and coaching.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Godfather.

I'd like to control the world too, you should probably preemptively control me. In fact, I have a far greater ability to get to America. It's a two hour drive for me.

Between America and the Middle East, you seem to imply here that America wishes for peace in the region more than those in the region. What gives you that idea? If it's the fact that the governments in the region have been ineffective at solving this problem, try to remember how little governing power those players have: and, of course, why they have such little power.

You also seem to imply here that America's threat is equally urgent to the Middle East's. It's not. I've included a map to demonstrate this fact. The blue is water. It's hard to get across. The land is easier to traverse.

You're also saying that nobody's willing to fight for this peace. What about Jordan and Syria outright stating that members of IS will pay?

You also seem to suggest that a member of the US military brought to the region with a strict agenda understands the reality of the Middle East as well as the residents of the Middle East. That's like me pretending to understand the nuances of Vietnamese life, having spent several weeks there. Your suggestion is even more absurd, since a hostile force in a country are simply not going to be welcomed with open arms by locals who have seen all lost at the hands of the people they'd likely consider monsters.

America struggles with the notion that they are not, in fact, the exclusive imperialist nation in a colonial world. I don't think the original European settlers were ever able to grasp that concept, and hundreds of years later, they still don't: their incessant meddling in foreign affairs is all the evidence you need.

Godfather, respectfully, I couldn't agree less when it comes to our perceptions of the motives of America in the region of the Middle East. Historically, you're talking about a country who has intervened under false pretences on countless occasions, and the outcomes are always self-serving. The typical game is to intervene, promote the indispensability of America's presence, allow regional conflict (aka distraction), watch the place burn, turn the ashes into mediocre buildings, then offer assistance when the shoddy foundations crumble.

So don't give me that crap about America's innocence.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2015
    callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

fair enough...

how has that worked out so far?

• Options
    my2hands said:

callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

fair enough...

um not so good, because not many have really tried til now.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

no I don't mean that at all.

Godfather.

• Options

mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

no I don't mean that at all.

Godfather.

good to hear. Please understand I ask based off of previous statements.

• Options
    benjs said:

Godfather.

I'd like to control the world too, you should probably preemptively control me. In fact, I have a far greater ability to get to America. It's a two hour drive for me.

Between America and the Middle East, you seem to imply here that America wishes for peace in the region more than those in the region. What gives you that idea? If it's the fact that the governments in the region have been ineffective at solving this problem, try to remember how little governing power those players have: and, of course, why they have such little power.

You also seem to imply here that America's threat is equally urgent to the Middle East's. It's not. I've included a map to demonstrate this fact. The blue is water. It's hard to get across. The land is easier to traverse.

You're also saying that nobody's willing to fight for this peace. What about Jordan and Syria outright stating that members of IS will pay?

You also seem to suggest that a member of the US military brought to the region with a strict agenda understands the reality of the Middle East as well as the residents of the Middle East. That's like me pretending to understand the nuances of Vietnamese life, having spent several weeks there. Your suggestion is even more absurd, since a hostile force in a country are simply not going to be welcomed with open arms by locals who have seen all lost at the hands of the people they'd likely consider monsters.

America struggles with the notion that they are not, in fact, the exclusive imperialist nation in a colonial world. I don't think the original European settlers were ever able to grasp that concept, and hundreds of years later, they still don't: their incessant meddling in foreign affairs is all the evidence you need.

Godfather, respectfully, I couldn't agree less when it comes to our perceptions of the motives of America in the region of the Middle East. Historically, you're talking about a country who has intervened under false pretences on countless occasions, and the outcomes are always self-serving. The typical game is to intervene, promote the indispensability of America's presence, allow regional conflict (aka distraction), watch the place burn, turn the ashes into mediocre buildings, then offer assistance when the shoddy foundations crumble.

So don't give me that crap about America's innocence.
    no need to read between the lines I said or posted exactly what I ment to post.

"this is what happens when MAN fights amungst them selfs" not saying who is right just saying what happens, there is really nothing to add to my statement.

Godfather.

• Options
    callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

If we could go back in time and intervene, would you support defending the Tutsi people against the Hutu people in the Rwandan genocide?

Romeo Dallaire suggested it was our moral responsibility to assist in such travesties because- simply put- we could. We have been fortunate to have been born on a place on the earth where we enjoy an outstanding life. It would be callous and cold-hearted to ignore the pleas of those in need.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

With our $$$ and hardware backing them,with logistical support and coaching.
    Fk let Saudi Arabia fund it. No need for us to fund.

On patriotism thing I know it's hard to put ones head around my views on patriotism but think about that soldier that sacrifices his one life for the team. The leaders of the team benefit from that sacrifice. Why would you agree to this? Because you love your country? Your dead. They live. So the whole god bless USA and sacrificing for your country and pledge of allegiance is all programming to support the few. It's utter bullshit.
  • Options

callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

If we could go back in time and intervene, would you support defending the Tutsi people against the Hutu people in the Rwandan genocide?

Romeo Dallaire suggested it was our moral responsibility to assist in such travesties because- simply put- we could. We have been fortunate to have been born on a place on the earth where we enjoy an outstanding life. It would be callous and cold-hearted to ignore the pleas of those in need.
    Where do you draw the line? Ukraine Africa North Korea? How many military conflicts at one time. At what economic cost. So go volunteer thirty, donate all of your money.
  • Options

callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

rr, how were the economies of Rwanda's neighbours compared to Rwanda - did they have the financial or military means to rectify this problem adequately?

Look at some rich and/or militarily strong neighbours in IS's predominant playground: Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran, UAE not too far away.

The only common link I can think of between the Rwandan Genocide and the situation in the Middle East is that people are dying unnecessarily. Am I missing some other commonalities?

This is critical: having the means to solve a problem locally should factor into the decision for non-regional powers to provide assistance. That's why I'd agree with Romeo Dallaire in the case of the Rwandan Genocide, and would say that his statement does not hold true (not unequivocally, at least) with regards to the handling of IS.

EV
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

Where do you draw the line? Ukraine Africa North Korea? How many military conflicts at one time. At what economic cost. So go volunteer thirty, donate all of your money.
    I don't want to volunteer, but there are plenty who do. Canada has a role in the middle east right now. My tax dollars are contributing.

I'm not sure intervening is the right thing or not, but there are many who feel it is. So be flippant all you wish, but the bottom line is that there are perspectives different than yours that might be right.

I can assume from your response that wouldn't or didn't support a humanitarian response to the situation in Rwanda.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2hands said:

callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

fair enough...

?? Our intervention helped cause this crap.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

my2hands said:

callen said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

callen said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

We can't control others.

Godfather.

fair enough...

um not so good, because not many have really tried til now.
    Two Iraqi wars ?
  • Options
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Callen - So you don't feel any feelings for your birth country?
    You don't wish your countrymen/women to take home the goldmedal in for example the olympics?

I think it's only normal to have a little patriotic feelings.
    I once asked a coworker where she was from she told me she was from Turkey. I replied again oh Turkey she was like sshh, not so loud. I don't understand why she reacted like that and I thought it was a bit sad.
    Every country has something interesting and valuable to offer.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Annafalk said:

Callen - So you don't feel any feelings for your birth country?
    You don't wish your countrymen/women to take home the goldmedal in for example the olympics?

I think it's only normal to have a little patriotic feelings.
    I once asked a coworker where she was from she told me she was from Turkey. I replied again oh Turkey she was like sshh, not so loud. I don't understand why she reacted like that and I thought it was a bit sad.
    Every country has something interesting and valuable to offer.

Great question. Yes just like every human I have this evolutionary craving to have my tribe do well. I though see how this drive is used against people's best interests and like to point out humans real motivations. In the US the patriotic propaganda is very high and stunned that many don't see the hypocrisy of their views on other nations. Americans have a very ethnocentric view of the world. Big problem and why we'll be back in Iraq.

Like how you appreciate all countries have something to offer. Many in US never want to travel abroad. Sad.
    Post edited by callen on