Options

Beheaded by ISIS

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited September 2014

It's not the beheadings that triggered this war. Just the perfect propaganda used by the west. Beheadings or not, once ISIS got more oil production west would of pounced for another reason. Beheading just made it easier to cover up the real reason to ease justification for western humans. Just like 911, nucular capabilities, and Al Quieda. Same shit different channel. Oh didn't misspell nucular.

As the hate towards Muslims, put your self in their shoes, having foreign fighters and bombs invading your country/society. HelI, even I could become radicalized after my daughter was killed by stray bomb.

It's all about oil period. To think otherwise is justifying your comforting beliefs. Well and to keep the war machine healthy. Is good for US economy and people talking shit about Muslims as they drink they're espresso's then driving to the beach or park afterwards needs to re examine their realities and motivations. The real Fkn evil doers.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    or if not by isis how about beheaded by whackjob meat processing plant worker in oklahoma
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    wipe em all out I'm tired of reading about thier shit
    chadwick said:

or if not by isis how about beheaded by whackjob meat processing plant worker in oklahoma

who happens to be a muslim and an isis supporter......

Godfather.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002

wipe em all out I'm tired of reading about thier shit

chadwick said:

who happens to be a muslim and an isis supporter......

Godfather.

He also happened to be an American... maybe we should all be wiped out by that logic?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    callen said:

It's not the beheadings that triggered this war. Just the perfect propaganda used by the west. Beheadings or not, once ISIS got more oil production west would of pounced for another reason. Beheading just made it easier to cover up the real reason to ease justification for western humans. Just like 911, nucular capabilities, and Al Quieda. Same shit different channel. Oh didn't misspell nucular.

As the hate towards Muslims, put your self in their shoes, having foreign fighters and bombs invading your country/society. HelI, even I could become radicalized after my daughter was killed by stray bomb.

It's all about oil period. To think otherwise is justifying your comforting beliefs. Well and to keep the war machine healthy. Is good for US economy and people talking shit about Muslims as they drink they're espresso's then driving to the beach or park afterwards needs to re examine their realities and motivations. The real Fkn evil doers.

yesterday I read a story about some muslim men that hacked up a Christian preacher his wife and daughter with a mashetti (spelling check please) then while they were still alive poured gas on them and lit them on fire but you keep making excuses for them if it makes you and the other train members feel better about yourselves.
    this forum like most looses it self in popular opinions.some people will say that isis is retaliating over oil (bullshit) and make it sound like it's somebody elses fault that these muslims are beheading people but good lord you mention gun rights and most of the bord gets all pissy and can't wait to copy and paste a gun crime on the train forum so I just have to laugh sometimes when I see some of the stuff posted here especially with everybody tip toeing around this muslim isis bullshit, hidding ones fears behind a false sense of comfort is the biggist lie we tell ourselfs.

Godfather.

• Options

callen said:

yesterday I read a story about some muslim men that hacked up a Christian preacher his wife and daughter with a mashetti (spelling check please) then while they were still alive poured gas on them and lit them on fire but you keep making excuses for them if it makes you and the other train members feel better about yourselves.
    this forum like most looses it self in popular opinions.some people will say that isis is retaliating over oil (bullshit) and make it sound like it's somebody elses fault that these muslims are beheading people but good lord you mention gun rights and most of the bord gets all pissy and can't wait to copy and paste a gun crime on the train forum so I just have to laugh sometimes when I see some of the stuff posted here especially with everybody tip toeing around this muslim isis bullshit, hidding ones fears behind a false sense of comfort is the biggist lie we tell ourselfs.

Godfather.

Jewish Israeli youth poured gasoline down the throat of a Palestinian several months back and lit him on fire as well, and yet the global consensus is that we shouldn't be afraid of Jews or Israelis (and many of them emigrate to the US).

Also, didn't you copy and paste a 'gun hero' story recently? I think it's time to practice what you preach: if you hate the 'copy an article and see how people take it' mentality - probably best not to do the same if you expect to receive any credibility.

In regards to ISIS' existence as a byproduct of oil-related issues, feel free to provide one iota of evidence to support your labelling of it as 'bullshit' - those who brought up that notion did so accompanied by articles and statistics, so if you're going to refute it, do it well.

For all your claims of rejecting popular opinion, you repeat the common rhetoric that ISIS is a threat. While I agree, I see ISIS as the biggest threat to Muslims around the world, for degrading the name of Islam, and presenting it as a religion for barbarians. This is false: the religious texts which represent Islam's origins are no more or less barbaric than any other religious texts stemming from Abrahamic religions.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

callen said:

Godfather.

It's stories like what you read that the propaganda machine uses to get you to willingly fight for oil.

Do you not realize how many innocent Muslim Arabs have been burned and maimed by our bombs. Under the guide of freedom but really about oil.

Take a step back and direct your anger towards what's driving all of this.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    callen said:

callen said:

Godfather.

It's stories like what you read that the propaganda machine uses to get you to willingly fight for oil.

Do you not realize how many innocent Muslim Arabs have been burned and maimed by our bombs. Under the guide of freedom but really about oil.

Take a step back and direct your anger towards what's driving all of this.
    But if he did that he'd be hating himself.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Jewish Israeli youth poured gasoline down the throat of a Palestinian several months back and lit him on fire as well, and yet the global consensus is that we shouldn't be afraid of Jews or Israelis (and many of them emigrate to the US).

Also, didn't you copy and paste a 'gun hero' story recently? I think it's time to practice what you preach: if you hate the 'copy an article and see how people take it' mentality - probably best not to do the same if you expect to receive any credibility.

In regards to ISIS' existence as a byproduct of oil-related issues, feel free to provide one iota of evidence to support your labelling of it as 'bullshit' - those who brought up that notion did so accompanied by articles and statistics, so if you're going to refute it, do it well.

For all your claims of rejecting popular opinion, you repeat the common rhetoric that ISIS is a threat. While I agree, I see ISIS as the biggest threat to Muslims around the world, for degrading the name of Islam, and presenting it as a religion for barbarians. This is false: the religious texts which represent Islam's origins are no more or less barbaric than any other religious texts stemming from Abrahamic religions.

^^^^what Ben said^^^^^
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited September 2014
    benjs said:

meh...don't bother looking for GF to answer specific questions about, or back up his opinions. He avoids it every time....disappears from a thread for a day or two then re-appears once he thinks everyone has forgotten he was put on the spot. He did this last week with specific questions I asked him in the "War. Who Really Benefits" thread. I'm sure he would tell us that he doesn't give a shit about his credibility here....even tho he continues to make wild, usually racist or _____phobic, always war-mongering claims, as if any of us should give a shit about his opinion when he doesnt' care if we do!
    In short: he makes admittedly uninformed, ignorant claims...won't back them up...and doesnt' give a shit if we take him seriously or not.....that, my friends, is the definition of an internet troll.

.......................................................................................................
    These two articles have a lot of overlapping content, so I cherry picked a couple paragraphs from the longer one, and went with the more concise one in full, to get the point across.
    The US is fighting the IS in Iraq, and helping them against Assad in Syria. The Syrian air strikes are illegal under international law and despite US attempts to infer that the UN has ok’d the attacks, they are not endorsed by the UNSC.

US Bombs Syrian Oil Refineries To Prevent Assad From Retaking Them

Libya 2.0? US Says 'No-Fly Zone' Over Syria A Possibility

Turkey is now whining and groaning over an influx of Syrian refugees as a result of a humanitarian crisis that it helped create with its support and facilitation of Islamic fundamentalist death squad forces funded by the West and allowed to travel into Syria through Turkey’s borders. The most recent influx of refugees came from the city of Kobani, where ISIS fighters were herded by American airstrikes for the purposes of reinforcing the fighters already battling Kurdish and Syrian forces there.
    Keep in mind that with the terrorists evacuating Deir al-Zor, cities and towns such as Kobani (Ayn El Arab) have seen a dramatic rise in the presence of IS fighters. In short, IS may have reduced the amount of fighters in Deir al-Zor but it reinforced its positions at Ayn El Arab, a smaller town but one located on the Turkish border. Significantly, the Turkish border has facilitated tens of thousands of death squad fighters in their access to Syria over the last four years making it a main artery for the influx of Western-backed foreign jihadis into Syria.

The Huffington Post reported the situation in Ayn El Arab by recording the statement of a Syrian Kurd who had fled into Turkey with his family to escape IS. The report is revealing as to how the situation in Ayn El Arab disintegrated after the bombing of Deir al-Zor and the “escape” of terrorists from that city and region. The article reads,

"Because of the bombing in Raqqa, Islamic State has taken all of their weapons and brought them here. There are more and more Islamic State fighters in the last two days, they have brought all their forces here," said Ahmed Hassan, 60, a Syrian Kurd who fled to Turkey with his family.

"They have heavy weapons. We are running away from them. YPG haven't got heavy weapons. That's why we need help," he said, referring to the main Kurdish armed group.
    Thus, the new assault on Ayn El Arab might very well be an attempt to re-secure and reopen the Turkish/Syrian border so as to allow even greater numbers of IS fighters and military equipment to flood into Syria.

…..

Even the airstrikes taking place currently under the guise of eliminating ISIS have a much darker motive. Although it is true that ISIS/ “moderate death squads” had seized control over the oil refineries in Eastern Syria and were using them for their own strategic purposes (with the help of NATO command), it is also true that, in a large portion of these areas, the SAA (Syrian Arab Army) was poised to retake control.

This is particularly the case in Dayr el Zor, where the SAA had recently launched a major offensive against the death squads causing ISIS fighters trapped by aerial bombardment and escape routes cut off by the SAA. In other words, the death squads were trapped in Dayr el Zor, the city was weeks away from being liberated, and the surrounding areas were set to be reconquered by the SAA. This, of course, would have led directly to the retaking of the oil refineries by the Syrian government. Unfortunately, that opportunity has now been lost as a result of the U.S. airstrikes which destroyed the refinery infrastructure.

It should also be remembered that most of the death squads fled these areas after being given forewarning of a series of imminent American airstrikes, thus causing the civilian casualties to be higher in number than those of the ISIS fighters the strikes were allegedly targeting. Indeed, many of these fighters have appeared in Northern Syria on the Syria/Turkey border reinforcing other death squad battalions in efforts to reopen supply lines from Turkey.

Similar situations are found in the other locations mentioned as targets of U.S. airstrikes such as al-Hasakah where the SAA had made significant gains alongside Kurdish forces.

Thus, as SAA forces moved in to retake control of the oil refineries managed by terrorists funded by Western powers, the United States initiated airstrikes just in the nick of time to deprive SAA forces of the opportunity to seize some of the oil refinery infrastructure it desperately needs.

It is also important to note that virtually none of the infrastructure being destroyed by the United States airstrikes was built by ISIS. It was built by the Syrian government. The reality of the bombing campaign is that the United States and its allies are destroying important regions of Syria and leaving nothing of real value for the Syrian military to retake after its long-fought battles against ISIS.
    Full article:
    http://www.activistpost.com/2014/09/libya-20-us-says-no-fly-zone-over-syria.html#IklLMLUUPiuy6eoX.99
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    US Strike on Syria is Desperation Incarnate
    http://journal-neo.org/2014/09/24/15024/

The West was racing against the clock – attempting to justify war with Syria by allegedly “fighting” the so-called “Islamic State” (ISIS) in Syrian before the world fully realized the West and its allies had in fact created ISIS in the first place and was to this day arming, funding, and directing them. In haste that can only be described as desperation bordering criminal insanity, the West announced that it has begun air and missile attacks on Syrian territory.

It alleges that it is attacking ISIS, however – and unlike its campaign in neighboring Iraq – the US in particular refuses to provide any details as to what it is actually doing in Syria.

Reuters would report in its article, “U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on IS in Syria,” that:

The United States and several Gulf Arab allies launched air and missile strikes on Islamic State strongholds in Syria on Tuesday, U.S. officials said, opening a new, far more complicated front in the battle against the militants.

“I can confirm that U.S. military and partner nation forces are undertaking military action against (Islamic State) terrorists in Syria using a mix of fighter, bomber and Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles,” Rear Admiral John Kirby, Pentagon press secretary, said in a statement.

It is these very “Arab partners” that are also on record, arming and funding terrorism along Syria’s borders as well as backing terrorist organizations operating in Syria itself. Saudi Arabia and Qatar, in particular, have been providing money and cash, while the US CIA distributed it mainly along Turkey’s border with Syria in the north, and Jordan’s border with Syria to the south.

Despite years of rhetoric attempting to differentiate what the West calls “moderates” from known terrorist organizations including US State Department-listed foreign terrorist organizations Al Nusra, and the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), it is clear that literally days before ISIS crossed into Iraq triggering the latest geopolitical crisis in the region, ISIS was fighting alongside so-called moderates in an attack on Syria’s town of Kassab along the border with Turkey. Turkey, a NATO member, would even go as far as providing aircover for the attack which was in fact launched from Turkish territory.

The fact remains that the only genuine fight against Al Qaeda, ISIS, and other terrorist groups in the region, has been led by the Syrian government and its military.

Carving Off a “Terror Capital” for the West’s Proxies

Whatever it is that the US and its “Arab partners” are attacking in Syria at the moment, it is assuredly not ISIS. When the smoke clears, we will likely see Syria’s Raqqa region carved off and firmly in the hands of the very terrorists the US claims it is attacking. The only change will be that they now benefit from US airpower, and the Western media will no longer label them ISIS, but rather, as “moderates.” Carving off Aleppo would also be likely, though loftier goal for the West – transforming either it or Raqqa into an “opposition capital” like Benghazi was in Libya.

Carving off territory from Syria and creating “bufferzones” was part of the US agenda in Syria for years – long before the threat of ISIS was wielded as a potential pretext for direct US military intervention. ISIS is simply the latest construct being used to implement the strategy.

While the idea of a buffer zone is meant to look like the latest honest attempt to solve a growing regional crisis and to “win” the war in Syria, in reality this has been planned since at least March of 2012, where the idea was proposed by the corporate-financier funded Brookings Institution in their “Middle East Memo #21″ “Assessing Options for Regime Change” where it stated specifically (emphasis added):

“An alternative is for diplomatic efforts to focus first on how to end the violence and how to gain humanitarian access, as is being done under Annan’s leadership. This may lead to the creation of safe-havens and humanitarian corridors, which would have to be backed by limited military power. This would, of course, fall short of U.S. goals for Syria and could preserve Asad in power. From that starting point, however, it is possible that a broad coalition with the appropriate international mandate could add further coercive action to its efforts.”

The Brookings Institution, Middle East Memo #21 “Assessing Options for Regime Change” makes no secret that the humanitarian “responsibility to protect” is but a pretext for long-planned regime change. Failing to sell the “humanitarian intervention,” the old “War on Terror” has been dusted off and utilized as a pretext.

Brookings continues by describing how Turkey’s aligning of vast amounts of weapons and troops along its border in coordination with Israeli efforts in the south of Syria, could help effect violent regime change in Syria:

In addition, Israel’s intelligence services have a strong knowledge of Syria, as well as assets within the Syrian regime that could be used to subvert the regime’s power base and press for Asad’s removal. Israel could posture forces on or near the Golan Heights and, in so doing, might divert regime forces from suppressing the opposition. This posture may conjure fears in the Asad regime of a multi-front war, particularly if Turkey is willing to do the same on its border and if the Syrian opposition is being fed a steady diet of arms and training. Such a mobilization could perhaps persuade Syria’s military leadership to oust Asad in order to preserve itself. Advocates argue this additional pressure could tip the balance against Asad inside Syria, if other forces were aligned properly.

Clearly, a “buffer zone” is the next step for Western designs aimed at exacting regime change in Syria and would be a move the Syrian government would not readily agree to. It was also a step that merely needed a pretext to move forward. In 2012, fabricated border incidents with Turkey were being used to help implement this strategy but failed. Now the threat of ISIS is being used to resell the exact same scheme.

While Turkey and Israel continue applying pressure on Syria’s borders, America’s assault on Syrian territory itself will begin carving out the safe havens and corridors described by Brookings in 2012.

Before Syria and its allies could fill the geostrategic void Western-backed terrorists created in eastern Syria and northern Iraq, the West has moved – but perhaps what would have become a trap for Syrian, Iranian, and other regional forces, may end up a trap instead for Western forces and their “Arab partners.” This however, depends entirely on Syria and its allies’ ability to mire the West in protracted fighting – fighting that may eventually lead to America’s Persian Gulf allies’ doorsteps.

For now, Syria and its allies must formulate carefully a strategy that resists overreaction to immense provocations, understand the true nature of America’s aggression, determining whether it was exercised from a position of strength or immense weakness, and devise countermeasures that accommodate long-term consequences of America’s current campaign. A balance between allowing the West to exhaust its last desperate options, but preventing long-term entrenchment of Western-backed proxies must be struck.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    NEO Journal makes Fox News look fair and balanced.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Yawn. Care to refute anything he says, or would you prefer to attack the source? The author has written for many alt-media outlets....tho I'm sure you'd say none of them were credible either.
  • Options
    well then feel free to join ISIS

Jason P said:

Yawn. Care to refute anything he says, or would you prefer to attack the source? The author has written for many alt-media outlets....tho I'm sure you'd say none of them were credible either.
    did that hurt your feeling Drowned Out hahahhahahhahahahahha =))

Godfather.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Godfather.
    lulz. so punny, nelson.
    I know youre all like 'see! this is what I deal with!', because no one takes you seriously when you quote fox as a news source, and anyone with half a brain can pick apart their sad excuse for journalism in minutes. If you disagree - post a Fox article about the IS and I will gladly point out it's flaws for you. Can you do the same? The article I posted dared to look into the IS and western foreign policy beyond the 'humanitarian' or 'they're coming for us' approach. It has a lot of information you (or Jason) could choose to refute, but apparently neither of you are up for it.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Godfather.
    Watch this - I can throw irrelevant and unfounded nonsense to deflect from legitimate conversation too.

"Look, ma, a chicken with fins!"

By the way, Drowned Out still has six (at my last count) legitimate, unanswered questions in the "War" thread for you.

As for me, I'd still love to hear your supporting evidence to back up your allegation that ISIS' existence has nothing to do with oil: the article two above your post suggests otherwise.

Ben.

EV
  • Options
    =)) :bz =))
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,943
    To :bz or not to :bz , that is the question.

Don't get yerself in hot water!

Let's see some answers to Drowned Out's questions!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    After reading this thread, it's scary. It's scary because people want to get away from the fact that "Isis, or Is, or Isf" or whatever you want to refer to them as, have in cold blood cut people's heads of and justified it in the name of Islam. And many here seem to justify their actions with other actions. Educate yourselves on history. This whole "self appointed I'm an intellect I know all" mentality is ruining this world. Just because you ignore a fact doesn't mean it's not a fact....
  • Options

After reading this thread, it's scary. It's scary because people want to get away from the fact that "Isis, or Is, or Isf" or whatever you want to refer to them as, have in cold blood cut people's heads of and justified it in the name of Islam. And many here seem to justify their actions with other actions. Educate yourselves on history. This whole "self appointed I'm an intellect I know all" mentality is ruining this world. Just because you ignore a fact doesn't mean it's not a fact....

Nobody is justifying ISIS' actions. Having said that, escalation is not an acceptable solution to the ISIS problem. ISIS didn't spring up out of nowhere. These people are broken and extremely volatile. They want a war with the US as it helps them justify their atrocities. The United States has been poking around in the Middle East for decades and the region is more unstable than ever. What lasting piece has been accomplished in all that time?

These wars cost Americans untold billions. Do you really think that going to war with ISIS is worth it? Is it actually going to fix things or are we simply going to see a new threat emerge in five to ten years, because if that's the case there are certainly better things that the US government could be spending that money on.
  • Options

agreed.

Godfather.

• Options

I'd like to think that every single person in this thread finds it horrific and unjustifiable that IS bastardizes the names of Islam and commits such heinous and brutal acts on a regular basis. No one is ignoring that fact whatsoever - but to read the rhetoric of "impending threat" and react by supporting the decision to intervene when history (which, as you said, we should educate ourselves on) suggests that this leads to regional instability in the very regions Western powers claim to be assisting, is not an alignment we should be making with any haste (my apologies for the run-on sentence; it's early).

Just because you present a fact doesn't mean it's the most important one, and history/military tactics are nothing more than complex webs of cause and effect: here, many of us believe IS is a byproduct of something else. For me personally, I question why Western powers spend time, money, energy, lives to strip IS of their bullets - let's get to the bottom of why they're holding their guns (just a metaphor - I'm well aware that they typically use other weapons for their beheadings).

EV
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Of course lobbing peoples heads is wrong. Nobody has justified ISIS. And a coalition should probably stop them. But why the US? Because of oil. Why we got into this shit in the first place. For our ability to buy cheap gas.

Yes decapitation is vile.

Now, our bombs burn humans. We blow them to small little pieces. Our bombs maim. Our bombs miss their intended target and kill kids. So we can justify how evil ISIS is all we want but can't ignore what we do. State run news don't show graphic pictures of what our bombs do. He'll read thread on Colorado school system cleaning up US history. That's fucked

Realize it sucks to read posts that directly contradict what news, media, politicians, friends and family state everyday. Go back to our justification for invading Iraq.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Which history is that which you think we need educated on? The one where you paint Islam as the scourge of humanity or the one where the American empire continually destabilizes the region by dropping bombs and merry-go-round funding terrorist groups...including Al Queda and IS?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2014
    I agree with the overwhelming sentiment here that the blanket Muslim statements spun from ISIS actions are very damaging and naïve.

I also agree that deflection tactics tend to minimize the brutality on display by some groups. I'm not American and typically despise their foreign policies, but it's fair to say that the US has 'deservedly' received its share of criticism in countless threads.

Why the brutality of ISIS cannot stand alone without attempts to legitimize their motivation is curious to me as well. It's fair to make attempts to explain their motivation, but I feel that some of these attempts almost read like they are defending ISIS.

At its core level and among many other horrific acts... an ISIS member is taking a knife and severing someone's head. It takes a special type of person to do something like that- one certainly not beyond reproach.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I agree with the overwhelming sentiment here that the blanket Muslim statements spun from ISIS actions are very damaging and naïve.

I also agree that deflection tactics tend to minimize the brutality on display by some groups. I'm not American and typically despise their foreign policies, but it's fair to say that the US has 'deservedly' received its share of criticism in countless threads.

Why the brutality of ISIS cannot stand alone without attempts to legitimize their motivation is curious to me as well. It's fair to make attempts to explain their motivation, but I feel that some of these attempts almost read like they are defending ISIS.

At its core level and among many other horrific acts... an ISIS member is taking a knife and severing someone's head. It takes a special type of person to do something like that- one certainly not beyond reproach.

Again, no one is defending what they do. Silly to suggest. How can the brutality of the IS stand alone? Especially in relation to political debate? Would you prefer this topic was dedicated to beheading videos and we all sit around in a big groupthink session bitching about how evil they (but not all muslims) are? The point to political debate is to educate and look for solutions. ISIS was not conceived in a vacuum, and if we're trying to prevent this kind of thing from happening, we need to examine why it began and what is feeding it. Hence, US foreign policy becomes a major focus.
    And I think there are plenty of 'special type of people' on both sides of the debate. I'm sorry, but I think the guy sitting behind a desk with a drone on remote control, or a general giving orders to carpet bomb a village are just as special as a guy who beheads someone. Video game detachment and different reasons for righteousness don't excuse actions with the same result. I think THAT (legitimizing our own violence) is a WAY bigger problem than people 'sympathizing' (as you seem to see it) with the IS.
  • Options

Again, no one is defending what they do. Silly to suggest. How can the brutality of the IS stand alone? Especially in relation to political debate? Would you prefer this topic was dedicated to beheading videos and we all sit around in a big groupthink session bitching about how evil they (but not all muslims) are? The point to political debate is to educate and look for solutions. ISIS was not conceived in a vacuum, and if we're trying to prevent this kind of thing from happening, we need to examine why it began and what is feeding it. Hence, US foreign policy becomes a major focus.
    And I think there are plenty of 'special type of people' on both sides of the debate. I'm sorry, but I think the guy sitting behind a desk with a drone on remote control, or a general giving orders to carpet bomb a village are just as special as a guy who beheads someone. Video game detachment and different reasons for righteousness don't excuse actions with the same result. I think THAT (legitimizing our own violence) is a WAY bigger problem than people 'sympathizing' (as you seem to see it) with the IS.
    I said some posts seem to read as if they are defending ISIS. This is far from silly to present as I did. That's how they read whether you care to admit it or not. I read them that way. Matts obviously did as well which motivated him to write what he did.

I said I typically despise US foreign policy- I'm glad we can agree there (even though I think you think we don't). The guy who keeps his hands clean as he blows up children is just as reprehensible as the guy on the ground with the knife. How you got me legitimizing this form of violence perplexes me a little- it seems like you have tried to make something out of nothing there?

In the interest of 'examination':
    I won't get into too many details, but like many other places, we have had a young man, spoiled with all the western luxuries we all share, leave our community to take up arms with ISIS. Trust me when I say people are shocked- this has been a bizarre event. Can you (or someone) explain to me how someone so personally detached (physically detached might be a better way to frame it) feels the need to take up arms with ISIS in a country he had previously never set foot in and contribute to the violence they pursue?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thirty. Propaganda, same crap that aligns us to kill.

Can you show examples of posts that defend ISIS?
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    callen said:

Thirty. Propaganda, same crap that aligns us to kill.

Can you show examples of posts that defend ISIS?

When a post is offered that speak to the brutality of ISIS, it is generally countered with a post that speaks to their motivation.

The optics of such dialogue seem to present an attitude that displays a level of tolerance given how ISIS has gotten to here.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

How does byrnzie get banned for sticking up for himself and godfather can come in here literally calling for genocide?

=)) =)) Geno who ?

Godfather.