Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Why does anyone have the opinion that only black people are born into poverty? How in the world can you assume that I wasn't born into poverty? Because I am not in jail? Or because I respect police officers? Because I'm white?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

Why does anyone have the opinion that only black people are born into poverty? How in the world can you assume that I wasn't born into poverty? Because I am not in jail? Or because I respect police officers? Because I'm white?

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/14poverty.cfm

Poverty line for a family of 4 $23,850
  • Options
    Plus, this is the Michael Brown thread. It's pointless to keep linking all of the other police injustices. Its difficult enough to keep up with this case without bringing up the others. Start new threads. My opinion will flow just fine there.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Where I am from the people born into poverty ARE white, and they don't experience half the bullshit that middle class African Americans face. They do lots of drugs, they disrespect authority, they are on the dole, they have tons of kids out of marriage, they drink and drive, and their culture is distasteful... but they don't face police discrimination, they aren't constantly judged by their color, and they don't face nearly as much prejudice about their idiotic behaviors. Hillbilly and redneck are almost neutral words that evoke a chuckle from most, as if their low-class culture is acceptable but the hip-hop low-class culture isn't.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2014
    Quote feature arghhh
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Where I am from the people born into poverty ARE white, and they don't experience half the bullshit that middle class African Americans face. They do lots of drugs, they disrespect authority, they are on the dole, they have tons of kids out of marriage, they drink and drive, and their culture is distasteful... but they don't face police discrimination, they aren't constantly judged by their color, and they don't face nearly as much prejudice about their idiotic behaviors. Hillbilly and redneck are almost neutral words that evoke a chuckle from most, as if their low-class culture is acceptable but the hip-hop low-class culture isn't.
    Ok. I don't really disagree with you. But you can't discredit a somebodys opinion because they are white.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rgambs said:

Imagine if young black police officers were exclusively out on beat for these poor whites.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Ok. I don't really disagree with you. But you can't discredit a somebodys opinion because they are white.
    I agree it was a little too much, but I feel where it was coming from. The most common reaction I have heard in real life to MB shooting is on the tone of "blacks are the most racist of all" and "nobody cares when a black kills a white" and it makes you slap your head and say...geez these people have no effin clue how good they have it!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

imalive said:

When a cop tells you to do something, comply. Chances are, you won't get shot.

I know that within every scenario there are different variables, people, mindsets.

But yes...this makes much sense. Common sense.

Last year I got pulled over for expired tags. I was surprised when the officer told me to keep my hands in plain sight (didn't feel I was a threat), but fuck me if I didn't comply. Why wouldn't I?

Very polite and professional fellow, by the way.

for me, average white guy, I decided long ago that I woudl rather the stops ended as quickly as possible. When I have been pulled over the flashers go on, I turn the interior light on , roll window down and hands on the wheel until directed otherwise. When asked fro license and reg , I say my wallet is in front pocket reg in glovebox, etc. Have been met with professionalism and no attitude.
    hahah I had this cop behind me for about 6 to 8 blocks I'd turn then he'd turn so when I got to the taco shop I was heading to he was right behind me so I parked and got off my bike and walked to his car as he was getting out of it and I said "hi what's up" and he started laughing and said" i knew you would think I was following you but honestly I'm just going for lunch to the taco shop" as it turns out he was very cool and asked me about H.D's because he was shopping for his first one.

Godfather.

• Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I agree it was a little too much, but I feel where it was coming from. The most common reaction I have heard in real life to MB shooting is on the tone of "blacks are the most racist of all" and "nobody cares when a black kills a white" and it makes you slap your head and say...geez these people have no effin clue how good they have it!
    I'm going to come clean. I was born poor. Far from poverty. Plus, I went through all 13 years of school knowing 3 black people. I knew and grew up with a shit ton of racist people that from what I saw, never even talked to a black person. 99.9% of those I don't talk to today.

That drastically changed when I got into college. I understand that I will never fully understand the plight of the inner city black kid. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what (at least my friends) have dealt with being black.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    callen said:

rgambs said:

Imagine if young black police officers were exclusively out on beat for these poor whites.
    I'm sure it's not exclusive to all white cops. I'm willing to bet a large majority don't say to themselves "let's go get us a black man" before their shift.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,183
    over the last week over 300 schools here have had large groups of students walking out of class in protest of the grand jury's findings. these groups are of all ethnic groups. most of the schools have allowed them to do so, and most of them have had teachers participate as well.

stupid, racially united, liberal schools right??
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,567
    edited December 2014

over the last week over 300 schools here have had large groups of students walking out of class in protest of the grand jury's findings. these groups are of all ethnic groups. most of the schools have allowed them to do so, and most of them have had teachers participate as well.

They should stay in class and learn a skill and not a civics lesson on protesting.

Skipping school for a grand jury finding on evidence that is at best ambiguous in either direction is ridiculous. The teachers involved should be stripped of their wages.

Meanwhile , students in China are kicking our asses.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

They should stay in class and learn a skill and not a civics lesson on protesting.

Skipping school for a grand jury finding on evidence that is at best ambiguous in either direction is ridiculous. The teachers involved should be stripped of their wages.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Right the Fuck on!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

They shouldn't cry if the schools get tired of it and start firing teachers and suspending students.
  • Options

There's no better lesson than actual real life experience with injustice. Taking a stand and knowing what you believe in is more valuable than any school experience. And all the good teachers know that, that's why they're out there as well.
  • Options

There's no better lesson than actual real life experience with injustice. Taking a stand and knowing what you believe in is more valuable than any school experience. And all the good teachers know that, that's why they're out there as well.
    I like the comparison to a communist country
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited December 2014
    Charles Barkley thinks some people are ridiculous with their views on this topic:

Here are some bites from the link (see how I offer a summary versus no description at all?):

"The notion that white cops are out there just killing black people -- that's ridiculous. That's just flat-out ridiculous," the TNT basketball analyst told CNN. "I challenge any black person to try to make that point. Cops are actually awesome. They are the only thing in the ghetto between this place being the wild, wild west. So this notion that cops are out there just killing black men is ridiculous and I hate that narrative coming out of this entire situation."

"We've always had a racial issue in this country and the biggest problem with it is we never discuss race until something bad happens. We never have meaningful dialogue over a cold beer when things are going good," Barkley explained to CNN. "When something bad happens, everybody has a tribe mentality. Everybody wants to protect their own tribe, whether they're right or wrong."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24862869/charles-barkley-speaks-out-on-ferguson-controversy-defends-police
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    By the way... this place is becoming shitty to enter.

From my perspective, the MT forum is a sloppy mess at this point in time- bits and bites that do nothing with regards to promoting meaningful discussion.
  • Options
    And for the record, our city had an officer shot in the line of duty two nights ago. He's in critical condition after a traffic stop late at night resulted in the occupants of the vehicle gunning him down.
  • Options

Charles Barkley thinks some people are ridiculous with their views on this topic:

Here are some bites from the link (see how I offer a summary versus no description at all?):

"The notion that white cops are out there just killing black people -- that's ridiculous. That's just flat-out ridiculous," the TNT basketball analyst told CNN. "I challenge any black person to try to make that point. Cops are actually awesome. They are the only thing in the ghetto between this place being the wild, wild west. So this notion that cops are out there just killing black men is ridiculous and I hate that narrative coming out of this entire situation."

"We've always had a racial issue in this country and the biggest problem with it is we never discuss race until something bad happens. We never have meaningful dialogue over a cold beer when things are going good," Barkley explained to CNN. "When something bad happens, everybody has a tribe mentality. Everybody wants to protect their own tribe, whether they're right or wrong."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24862869/charles-barkley-speaks-out-on-ferguson-controversy-defends-police

ask Chas if he ever heard of a guy called Fred Hampton?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971
    edited December 2014

By the way... this place is becoming shitty to enter.

From my perspective, the MT forum is a sloppy mess at this point in time- bits and bites that do nothing with regards to promoting meaningful discussion.

It is definitely transitioning. On the plus side I'm pretty sure it has been more than two months since we've had a thread locked.

Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,005
    Seems ok to me. So far we've represented both sides pretty well without any major flame wars.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I once read this interesting quote
    People claim they're hungry for the truth but when its finally served up they don't like the taste.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

I would guess most of those students have no clue what really happened.

Godfather.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942

Godfather.

I would guess that any of our guesses on that topic would be completely without merit.

And on the topic of Ferguson - how many contradictory stories have floated around: can any of us with any confidence say we know what really happened?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/opinion/johnson-charles-barkley/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"Charles Barkley is a very, very rich man, whose fame and celebrity have protected him from the kind of hostility and harassment from the police that thousands of other Americans, especially African-Americans, experience every day. It's easy for Charles Barkley to lecture protesters and looters and mourning families about how to deal with anger. But most Americans can't defuse a "tense" police situation with the aid of celebrity."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,005
    benjs said:

Godfather.

I would guess that any of our guesses on that topic would be completely without merit.

And on the topic of Ferguson - how many contradictory stories have floated around: can any of us with any confidence say we know what really happened?
    http://linkis.com/to.pbs.org/HjEvk

Not for sure.....but consider these facts that are detailed in the graphic at the link

When asked "Did MB put his hands up when fired upon?" 16 witnesses said YES, 2 said NO

"Was MB kneeling when fired upon?" 7 said YES, 6 said NO

"Was MB running away when fired upon?" 15 said YES, 5 said NO

"Did MB charge the police officerr?" 7 said YES, 5 said NO

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,567
    JC29856 said:

I like the comparison to a communist country
    The point is that China is focusing education on science and math, and the USA is not.