Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    benjs said:

over the last week over 300 schools here have had large groups of students walking out of class in protest of the grand jury's findings. these groups are of all ethnic groups. most of the schools have allowed them to do so, and most of them have had teachers participate as well.

stupid, racially united, liberal schools right??

I would guess most of those students have no clue what really happened.

Godfather.

I would guess that any of our guesses on that topic would be completely without merit.

And on the topic of Ferguson - how many contradictory stories have floated around: can any of us with any confidence say we know what really happened?
    so true and yet we here on the train judge and rule on every topic possible....aint it cool. :D

Godfather.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    dignin said:

Charles Barkley thinks some people are ridiculous with their views on this topic:

Here are some bites from the link (see how I offer a summary versus no description at all?):

"The notion that white cops are out there just killing black people -- that's ridiculous. That's just flat-out ridiculous," the TNT basketball analyst told CNN. "I challenge any black person to try to make that point. Cops are actually awesome. They are the only thing in the ghetto between this place being the wild, wild west. So this notion that cops are out there just killing black men is ridiculous and I hate that narrative coming out of this entire situation."

"We've always had a racial issue in this country and the biggest problem with it is we never discuss race until something bad happens. We never have meaningful dialogue over a cold beer when things are going good," Barkley explained to CNN. "When something bad happens, everybody has a tribe mentality. Everybody wants to protect their own tribe, whether they're right or wrong."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24862869/charles-barkley-speaks-out-on-ferguson-controversy-defends-police

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/opinion/johnson-charles-barkley/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"Charles Barkley is a very, very rich man, whose fame and celebrity have protected him from the kind of hostility and harassment from the police that thousands of other Americans, especially African-Americans, experience every day. It's easy for Charles Barkley to lecture protesters and looters and mourning families about how to deal with anger. But most Americans can't defuse a "tense" police situation with the aid of celebrity."
    Seriously? Your post is in quotes, would you care to share who said that? Now all of a sudden black men can't express their opinion if they have money?

It sounds more like black men with money can't express their opinions if they don't share the same idiocy as the rioters. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    ^^^^ Sorry, I didn't initially see the link. I'm guessing the author of that op-ed wrote it.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Read the op-ed. He talks about how he has a right to an opinion, but it's the wrong opinion and why.

• Options
    It's pretty convenient for Brown supporters to come up with an excuse every time somebody goes against them. First, white people can never understand. Then white poor people couldn't understand. Now black people can't even understand. So basically, unless you think Darren Wilson is guilty, or your a black person that was born in poverty, or your a black person in the ghetto you can't think that the no indictment ruling is a shitty excuse for people to act lik animals. Very good.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307

over the last week over 300 schools here have had large groups of students walking out of class in protest of the grand jury's findings. these groups are of all ethnic groups. most of the schools have allowed them to do so, and most of them have had teachers participate as well.

They should stay in class and learn a skill and not a civics lesson on protesting.

Skipping school for a grand jury finding on evidence that is at best ambiguous in either direction is ridiculous. The teachers involved should be stripped of their wages.

Meanwhile , students in China are kicking our asses.
    Big shit one day of them protesting is not gonna hurt them i could see if they were doing this everyday if done once it's to just say people are tired of cops not being held accountable for their actions ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dignin said:

Charles Barkley thinks some people are ridiculous with their views on this topic:

Here are some bites from the link (see how I offer a summary versus no description at all?):

"The notion that white cops are out there just killing black people -- that's ridiculous. That's just flat-out ridiculous," the TNT basketball analyst told CNN. "I challenge any black person to try to make that point. Cops are actually awesome. They are the only thing in the ghetto between this place being the wild, wild west. So this notion that cops are out there just killing black men is ridiculous and I hate that narrative coming out of this entire situation."

"We've always had a racial issue in this country and the biggest problem with it is we never discuss race until something bad happens. We never have meaningful dialogue over a cold beer when things are going good," Barkley explained to CNN. "When something bad happens, everybody has a tribe mentality. Everybody wants to protect their own tribe, whether they're right or wrong."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24862869/charles-barkley-speaks-out-on-ferguson-controversy-defends-police

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/opinion/johnson-charles-barkley/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"Charles Barkley is a very, very rich man, whose fame and celebrity have protected him from the kind of hostility and harassment from the police that thousands of other Americans, especially African-Americans, experience every day. It's easy for Charles Barkley to lecture protesters and looters and mourning families about how to deal with anger. But most Americans can't defuse a "tense" police situation with the aid of celebrity."
    I can't help but wonder into the kind of life he was born? Despite his later fame, wealth, etc., did he grow up in similar situations as those posted in this and other threads?

I tried to find something but most I got was that he was born in Birmingham, AL in 1963.

• Options
    hedonist said:

dignin said:

I can't help but wonder into the kind of life he was born? Despite his later fame, wealth, etc., did he grow up in similar situations as those posted in this and other threads?

I tried to find something but most I got was that he was born in Birmingham, AL in 1963.

He wasn't born into the lifestyle he is afforded now.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,543

They should stay in class and learn a skill and not a civics lesson on protesting.

Skipping school for a grand jury finding on evidence that is at best ambiguous in either direction is ridiculous. The teachers involved should be stripped of their wages.

Big shit one day of them protesting is not gonna hurt them i could see if they were doing this everyday if done once it's to just say people are tired of cops not being held accountable for their actions ....
    Sure it may be one day or a week, but it is a symptom of where our school system is. Some teachers are pushing political and social agendas instead of teaching kids.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,114

Sure it may be one day or a week, but it is a symptom of where our school system is. Some teachers are pushing political and social agendas instead of teaching kids.
    I do think an open dialogue in class ( as long as all viewpoints are shared and respected) would be far more productive. The walk out is one sided and may result in more youth that distrust police officers as a whole.

My opinion. I can see the other side as well...perhaps do both. I think it would be a great high school class to gather all known evidence and have a case with a jury and see what transpires.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Be careful.
    God forbid you call out the teachers here on the moving train.
    Been there done that.
    It doesn't end well.

Even though we are becoming a nation of blithering idiots.

How dare you even suggest holding the teachers responsible!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Thank you. I thought not but didn't want to assume

By the way, I read your post earlier and wanted to reply a couple hours later but couldn't remember where the hell this one was in the many active threads on this subject. Drove me bloody nuts.

And speaking to / of Thirty, a PS to Speedy - much as I come down on the ones who (I feel) deserve it, there are some fine teachers out there, and am happy to vouch for our resident ones!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

By the way, I read your post earlier and wanted to reply a couple hours later but couldn't remember where the hell this one was in the many active threads on this subject. Drove me bloody nuts.

And speaking to / of Thirty, a PS to Speedy - much as I come down on the ones who (I feel) deserve it, there are some fine teachers out there, and am happy to vouch for our resident ones!
    Which post are you referring to?
  • Options

hedonist said:

The one I replied to up there. Sometimes I read but don't have the opportunity (or full formation of thought) to reply at the time.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

The one I replied to up there. Sometimes I read but don't have the opportunity (or full formation of thought) to reply at the time.
    Gotcha. No need to feel like you need to respond to anything though, Hedo. Things will always be cool between you and I.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited December 2014
    Qualified immunity protects public officials from being sued for damages unless they violated “clearly established” law of which a reasonable official in his position would have known. It aims to protect civil servants from the fear of litigation in performing discretionary functions entrusted to them by law.

The qualified immunity test requires a two-part analysis: "(1) Was the law governing the official's conduct clearly established? (2) Under that law, could a reasonable officer have believed the conduct was lawful?" Government officials performing discretionary functions generally are shielded from liability for civil damages as long as as their conduct does not violate clearly established statutory or constitutional rights of which a reasonable person would have known.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    When politicians issue crowd-pleasing denunciations of "s​pecial interests," they are typically referring to a narrowly prescribed set of industries: oil, banking, pharmaceuticals. Rarely are police lobbyists similarly targeted for scorn. This might be due in part to law enforcement advocates not appearing to engage in conventional "lobbying" activities—they operate under the auspices of groups with innocuous-sounding names like "Police Benevolent Association" or "National Sheriffs Association"—but like other interest groups, these entities advocate single-mindedly on behalf their memberships, frequently to the detriment of the greater good.

Because of the political leverage accumulated over decades (if not centuries) by the police lobby, officers go about their daily beats with certain guarantees. For one, they will alm​ost never be held personally liable for their bad conduct while on duty thanks to well-established doctrines like qualifi​ed immunity, which puts taxpayers on the hook for lawsuits filed as a result of police misconduct or brutality. They can also be assured that a robust formal and informal support network will be set into motion should they ever be accused of anything.

http://www.vice.com/read/the-pernicious-power-of-police-unions?utm_source=vicetwitterus

Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Yeah because our school focus on

By the way... this place is becoming shitty to enter.

From my perspective, the MT forum is a sloppy mess at this point in time- bits and bites that do nothing with regards to promoting meaningful discussion.

I think that may be a reflection on your feelings for this topic, and not the train in general. It was just like this when Gaza was being bombed to hell, and when we were fighting over fun rights. I wasn't here, but I would bet it was much worse when we invaded Iraq.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

From my perspective, the MT forum is a sloppy mess at this point in time- bits and bites that do nothing with regards to promoting meaningful discussion.

I think that may be a reflection on your feelings for this topic, and not the train in general. It was just like this when Gaza was being bombed to hell, and when we were fighting over fun rights. I wasn't here, but I would bet it was much worse when we invaded Iraq.
    No. I can deal with the prevalent topic. What I'm personally struggling with is the methodology we are reduced to using trying to discuss this most current issue.

There are no character limits here- it's not Twitter. And while I'm not advocating for essays and certainly can be too long winded at times myself... I find myself getting irritated with strong posts getting buried by a string of posts which feature nothing other than a link with no description or point of view describing it... or a 2 or 3 word blurt that is tantamount to sticking your tongue out at someone.

The moments are increasing in frequency where I don't feel constructing a meaningful post is worth my time. Maybe it's just me and my time on the MT is reaching an expiry date... or maybe this topic has simply run its course? But when I tune in and see the yellow highlight showing '12 new'... I click on the thread and there's really nothing there.
  • Options

Stupid, Racially united, liberal?

You forgot.
    PIECES OF SHIT!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/05/denver-police-union-says-students-acted-disrespectfully/

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    And yet, that itself is a meaningful post, Thirty.

Know that I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate the thoughtfulness, eloquence and effort put forth by our fellow members.

I do hear you, though.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,976

rgambs said:

No. I can deal with the prevalent topic. What I'm personally struggling with is the methodology we are reduced to using trying to discuss this most current issue.

There are no character limits here- it's not Twitter. And while I'm not advocating for essays and certainly can be too long winded at times myself... I find myself getting irritated with strong posts getting buried by a string of posts which feature nothing other than a link with no description or point of view describing it... or a 2 or 3 word blurt that is tantamount to sticking your tongue out at someone.

The moments are increasing in frequency where I don't feel constructing a meaningful post is worth my time. Maybe it's just me and my time on the MT is reaching an expiry date... or maybe this topic has simply run its course? But when I tune in and see the yellow highlight showing '12 new'... I click on the thread and there's really nothing there.
    You don't want to leave here braj....just ignore it

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Does Thirty live anywhere near west dallas? i hope not
  • Options
    Musky?

Looks like police in Chicago have a tricked out surveillance truck equipped with cell site simulators, a.k.a. Stingrays, that force nearby phones to send data to cops instead of to phone company cell towers. Did those cops get a warrant for that?

https://privacysos.org/node/1609#update
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,822
    hedonist said:

dignin said:

soooo Birmingham in 63. Says enough doesnt it? Coming up in the hotbed of the Civil Rights movement? During the critical time of slight cultural shift with the CR Act signed into law a year later?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    True, mickey, but enacting a law doesn't necessarily mean that mindsets and behaviors automatically change along with it.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,822
    hedonist said:

True, mickey, but enacting a law doesn't necessarily mean that mindsets and behaviors automatically change along with it.

thats my point in regards to Barkley. He came up there in the midst of that, witnessing when he came to an age to begin to question this stuff. BIG push back at that law in the populace.

I would say his is qualified to speak about racial issues. More so that he is willing to look within as well as call out the bad in others.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

thats my point in regards to Barkley. He came up there in the midst of that, witnessing when he came to an age to begin to question this stuff. BIG push back at that law in the populace.

I would say his is qualified to speak about racial issues. More so that he is willing to look within as well as call out the bad in others.
    OK, I gotcha.

I think we're on the same page here :)
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2014
    How do we get better? Think of this whole situation as "the environment". Not placing blame on either party or whites or blacks or police and citizens. . We're just creatures of habit so to solve anything we need to look at " the environment".

Blacks have it harder than whites. Not an excuse but till you acknowledge conversation stops. White cops are scared of black crime, and guess what, rightfully so.

So do we just take sides or do we look at the root of our problems and try to help.

More education, community policing with police force mirroring neighborhood. Stop the racist hate. Castrate CNN and FOX. Be compassionate.

Unfortunately many in power benefit from this strife. It will continue.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

There's no better lesson than actual real life experience with injustice. Taking a stand and knowing what you believe in is more valuable than any school experience. And all the good teachers know that, that's why they're out there as well.
    JC29856 said:

Musky?

Looks like police in Chicago have a tricked out surveillance truck equipped with cell site simulators, a.k.a. Stingrays, that force nearby phones to send data to cops instead of to phone company cell towers. Did those cops get a warrant for that?

https://privacysos.org/node/1609#update

We have all sorts of fun toys, but I was not aware of that one. If we do I wish I would have known 6 months ago, could have used that tool on my ex-girl...that cheating be-otch!!!!