Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    JC29856 said:

Trayvon Martin was a senseless tragedy, that poor kid did nothing wrong.

This is not a senseless tragedy.

Michael Brown was a criminal who attacked a cop. These facts are indisputable. As someone said earlier in the thread, if he moved to the sidewalk, and let Wilson move along, he would probably be at home getting ready for Thanksgiving w/ his family. Instead he decided to attack a cop.
    Why do so many Brown supporters ignore this?

He attacked a cop.

Are there racist cops in this country? Yes. Is police brutality an issue in this country? Yes. Do police lie? Yes. In this case however, there seems to be more than ample evidence that Brown was the aggressor. How can you gloss over that blatant fact?

No one is refuting that this cop was attacked by a kid who had 90lbs on him. A lot of people are questioning Wilson's toughness & injuries....... The kid had 90 f'ing pounds on him and was trying to get his gun. I don't know how you can look at those facts and say his life wasn't in danger.

Should he have waited for Brown to take his gun before he decided his life was in danger?

I'm no police apologist, I know there are a $hit-ton of crooked cops out there, (Wilson may very well be one) but I don't think he was in the wrong here.

You may not have to respect cops (it's clear many of you don't) but you sure as fuck can't go around assaulting them & trying to take their guns. That's not likely to have a good outcome.

How is michael brown a criminal?
    He robbed a convenient store. He attacked a cop. This is criminal behavior.
    Criminal behaviour doesn't necessarily equate to being a criminal.... and lets not forget your criminal is dead..... and criminality is legal rhetoric so....
    Is there video of Brown stealing from a store? Yes. Is stealing a crime? Yes. Would then committing a crime make you a criminal? Yes.

I understand people have different viewpoints but you know the facts and BLATANTLY show your bias by making your comments. You are a defense attorney's dream.
    There are also laws against falsifying police reports, unlawful arrests, laws about filing police reports and handling and preserving evidence. I hold police to a higher standard then Joe Masterbaght.
    fixate much?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,185

dignin said:

To me it boils down to the kill shot....was the cop really fearing for his life or was he enraged that this kid had disrespected him? I think the latter....no way an 18 year old charges a cop like the Hulk. Given that this was the first time Wilson fired his gun on the job I think he panicked just like the rookie that shot the 12 year old boy in Cleveland. But at least the 12 year old had a "gun."

After seeing that video of the kid getting shot the only conclusion I can come to is that there has to be a better way. The car hadn't even stopped before they had shot him. Sad.

But these two cases aren't even remotely close.

One officer shot a man that was assaulting him. One officer shot a 12 year old child without even making an assessment of what the situation was.

One was justified and one is highly negligent.
    In your mind MB killing was justified not in mine I'd have to see way more proof that MB was assaulting him way more ...
    You mean like missing teeth, broken nose, maybe a gun shot wound, or death? Is that what it had to come to? That bruising on his face was significant. I know a lot if internet tough guys are saying that's just a wussy wound, but give that fresh bruise a day or two and watch the discoloration.

And it doesn't matter anyways. Some idiot is challenging a cop who has a gun. They've punched him, apparently went for the gun themselves, and charged him. This is enough... more than enough.

A hand to hand fight wasn't going to go very well for Wilson. And don't tell me you think that Wilson should have just let Brown walk away- imagine if cops did that... every time a person became unruly they just let the guy walk away so that they could try and detain them when the assailant was in a better mood. The 10C manual to 21st century policing!

Good lord, man.

Would you feel better if we just took the guns from cops? Maybe even just get rid of cops? We want them to go out and 'serve and protect'... and we also want them to get their asses kicked by our criminals before they might think to defend themselves. Fuck cops... our criminals are people too. Sign me up!
    Why does he either have to be dead or "let him walk away"?

Maybe some of us believe the kill shot wasn't necessary.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

dignin said:

To me it boils down to the kill shot....was the cop really fearing for his life or was he enraged that this kid had disrespected him? I think the latter....no way an 18 year old charges a cop like the Hulk. Given that this was the first time Wilson fired his gun on the job I think he panicked just like the rookie that shot the 12 year old boy in Cleveland. But at least the 12 year old had a "gun."

After seeing that video of the kid getting shot the only conclusion I can come to is that there has to be a better way. The car hadn't even stopped before they had shot him. Sad.

One officer shot a man that was assaulting him. One officer shot a 12 year old child without even making an assessment of what the situation was.

In your mind MB killing was justified not in mine I'd have to see way more proof that MB was assaulting him way more ...
    You mean like missing teeth, broken nose, maybe a gun shot wound, or death? Is that what it had to come to? That bruising on his face was significant. I know a lot if internet tough guys are saying that's just a wussy wound, but give that fresh bruise a day or two and watch the discoloration.

And it doesn't matter anyways. Some idiot is challenging a cop who has a gun. They've punched him, apparently went for the gun themselves, and charged him. This is enough... more than enough.

A hand to hand fight wasn't going to go very well for Wilson. And don't tell me you think that Wilson should have just let Brown walk away- imagine if cops did that... every time a person became unruly they just let the guy walk away so that they could try and detain them when the assailant was in a better mood. The 10C manual to 21st century policing!

Good lord, man.

Would you feel better if we just took the guns from cops? Maybe even just get rid of cops? We want them to go out and 'serve and protect'... and we also want them to get their asses kicked by our criminals before they might think to defend themselves. Fuck cops... our criminals are people too. Sign me up!

You mean shoot to apprehend when assailant poses no grave danger?
  • Options
    I'm waiting to see if Anonymous makes a KKK connection with Wilson. They are suggesting that they have one.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

dignin said:

Good lord, man.

Maybe not... but we weren't there in the moment and he had been shot and was still aggressively persisting.

What indisputably was not necessary was the blatant disregard for the law and the foolish assault of the cop. Take these actions from the equation and Brown is facing charges for stealing cigarettes and alive.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

Good lord, man.

You mean shoot to apprehend when assailant poses no grave danger?
    Yeah....let me think this through. Say the cop has a gun that goes "bang bang" and the hulk has nothing. Pump some bullets in him....hell you can even walk backwards as he gets closer and pump a few more in his torso or legs. Then let him explain his side of the story rather than plugging him in the eye.

• Options

I'm waiting to see if Anonymous makes a KKK connection with Wilson. They are suggesting that they have one.

I don't think the link to kkk will have much to do with the killing thou...i mean actually killing him. Does it mean DW thinks Brown is a worthless monkey? Probably. Does it mean DW looks at Brown as a parentsless scum sucking N word? Probably. I don't think means that he kills him thou just because he is a closet Klan member.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    I am a 38 year old white male living in an affluent area in one of the most liberal states in this country. If I chose to leave my house, rob the convenience store down the street, brazenly walk in the middle of the street inviting police attention, and then assault a cop when that attention materialized there would be a very good chance I would end up dead as a result. It wouldn't be about race or the background of the cop. It would be about my own decisions.

Michael Brown was a criminal. Watch the convenience store video. On first watch what struck me was how he threatened the clerk. On later viewings I noticed something else: he didn't run out of the store. He casually walked, without a care in the world. That kind of confidence is rarely exhibited by someone committing a risky act for the first time.

Within minutes the criminal encountered the cop and we are expected to believe the cop was at fault for what happened next. In so many other such cases that may be true. In this one it just isn't believable.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Lol...."aggressively persisting"....me and Brownthug have something in common besides being overmasturbated.
  • Options

dignin said:

Good lord, man.

I don't disagree with what you are saying about the kill shot, unfortunately we just don't know. The amount of conflicting testimonies make it so difficult to know what happened. I think the idea of Brown being executed with his hands up while kneeling has long since been refuted. Doesn't mean the killshot wasn't unnecessary.......but it's hard to make a clear case that he was executed. As it's been repeated ad nauseum, it's hard to measure a cop's 'fear for his own safety'.

As I mentioned before, if anything positive comes out of this, I hope it's a movement towards non lethal forms of subduing / deterring suspected criminals. We have the technology.
  • Options

dignin said:

Good lord, man.

I don't disagree with what you are saying about the kill shot, unfortunately we just don't know. The amount of conflicting testimonies make it so difficult to know what happened. I think the idea of Brown being executed with his hands up while kneeling has long since been refuted. Doesn't mean the killshot wasn't unnecessary.......but it's hard to make a clear case that he was executed. As it's been repeated ad nauseum, it's hard to measure a cop's 'fear for his own safety'.

As I mentioned before, if anything positive comes out of this, I hope it's a movement towards non lethal forms of subduing / deterring suspected criminals. We have the technology.
    I remember when the Boston Bombers committed their crime. I remember many people saying, "Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not rush to judgement here. Let's let the legal system do its thing before we get worked up!"

Some of these same people were not singing the same tune in this case though- jumping right in with two feet and calling for Wilson's head because he 'calm and cool like' walked up behind Brown and executed him.

More patience and understanding offered to a couple mass murdering cowards than one might afford to a cop trying to protect them from mass murdering cowards.

Rich. Really rich.
  • Options

dignin said:

Good lord, man.

Yeah I think we need to go back to the days where cops rode in pairs. This gives them extra protection and makes them keep each other honest.

I guess the technology exists to put chest cameras on them so why not?

• Options
    JimmyV said:

I am a 38 year old white male living in an affluent area in one of the most liberal states in this country. If I chose to leave my house, rob the convenience store down the street, brazenly walk in the middle of the street inviting police attention, and then assault a cop when that attention materialized there would be a very good chance I would end up dead as a result. It wouldn't be about race or the background of the cop. It would be about my own decisions.

Michael Brown was a criminal. Watch the convenience store video. On first watch what struck me was how he threatened the clerk. On later viewings I noticed something else: he didn't run out of the store. He casually walked, without a care in the world. That kind of confidence is rarely exhibited by someone committing a risky act for the first time.

Within minutes the criminal encountered the cop and we are expected to believe the cop was at fault for what happened next. In so many other such cases that may be true. In this one it just isn't believable.

A store clerk and a cop with a gun are quite different. I don't believe Wilson was as scared as he said he was...but I can't say he shouldn't have shot him more than a few times.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,671
    edited November 2014

dignin said:

Good lord, man.

Yeah I think we need to go back to the days where cops rode in pairs. This gives them extra protection and makes them keep each other honest.

100% agree sir. I'm all about maximum accountability for police officers. They have a brutally tough job, but that doesn't mean they can run wild.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

dignin said:

Good lord, man.

They watch every move we make mite as well have them being watched as well. I agree, put those cameras on them and have them patrol in 2's.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

On this great day for Americans to celebrate With friends and family I would like to also say thank you to all the First Responders for keeping us Safe.
    Keep up the thankless good work and never doubt yourself or your training when you are in fear for your life, your partners life, or a citizens life. Always Always Always remember it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

What variety of first responder are you?
    Why do you ask??? So you can ridicule and educate me even more about my profession you knowing squat about It?? No thanks...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306

dignin said:

I understand that. Was just commenting on that particular incident.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,419
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

On this great day for Americans to celebrate With friends and family I would like to also say thank you to all the First Responders for keeping us Safe.
    Keep up the thankless good work and never doubt yourself or your training when you are in fear for your life, your partners life, or a citizens life. Always Always Always remember it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Why do you ask??? So you can ridicule and educate me even more about my profession you knowing squat about It?? No thanks...
    Huh. Maybe its better to go home to family without facing either 12 OR 6.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

Musky, you keep on bringing your job up so I think it's a fair question.

• Options
    Near perfect execution no pun by prosecutor mccsweaty as evidenced still no pun by the posts in this thread

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,419
    I know the burden doesnt require unanimous decision for returning or denying an indictment, but has it been said how the vote went? 9 wh 3 bl grand jurors. Which has been said is a fair distribution% based on population numbers in the county.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    dignin said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

Musky, you keep on bringing your job up so I think it's a fair question.

i do too. especially when you constantly bash my city and the people who reside here, and make veiled racist statements about them.

i am asking you what variety of first responder you are.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    the above picture is very accurate. the whites live in south city, the poor and the other races live in the north of the city. at this point we are very divided. i have not seen a more appropriate magazine cover in a long time.

• Options
    i like how most of the evidence has been laid out and is now part of the public record. there is plenty of evidence for a federal civil rights trial or a civil wrongful death trial.

• Options

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JC's gonna love you for that one, gimme :D

Isn't it possible to be pissed off at both? And actually, I'm not pissed at "poor black folks" or "rich whites on WS"...I'm pissed at anyone who takes what isn't theirs, regardless of method.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Isn't it possible to be pissed off at both? And actually, I'm not pissed at "poor black folks" or "rich whites on WS"...I'm pissed at anyone who takes what isn't theirs, regardless of method.

+1
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    hedonist said:

And regardless of color.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018

What's murky about that? Unprofessional? Yes. Should he be fired? Yes. But it's not murky. Murky would have been if photographs had been taken and somehow disappeared.

Do you think that pictures were not taken on purpose to hide something?

Nope. I think that, regardless of motive, proper protocol was not followed. I don't really care whether the intent was to take photographs or not, what we're left with is an incomplete story as a result of behaviour residing anywhere along the spectrum of incompetence on one side and intent to suppress evidence on the other.
    hedonist said:

This is perfectly put. I'd add that, I'm pissed off about a system that distributes power without implementing checks and balances adequately.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1