Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,677
    edited November 2014

Trayvon Martin was a senseless tragedy, that poor kid did nothing wrong.

This is not a senseless tragedy.

Michael Brown was a criminal who attacked a cop. These facts are indisputable. As someone said earlier in the thread, if he moved to the sidewalk, and let Wilson move along, he would probably be at home getting ready for Thanksgiving w/ his family. Instead he decided to attack a cop.
    Why do so many Brown supporters ignore this?

He attacked a cop.

Are there racist cops in this country? Yes. Is police brutality an issue in this country? Yes. Do police lie? Yes. In this case however, there seems to be more than ample evidence that Brown was the aggressor. How can you gloss over that blatant fact?

No one is refuting that this cop was attacked by a kid who had 90lbs on him. A lot of people are questioning Wilson's toughness & injuries....... The kid had 90 f'ing pounds on him and was trying to get his gun. I don't know how you can look at those facts and say his life wasn't in danger.

Should he have waited for Brown to take his gun before he decided his life was in danger?

I'm no police apologist, I know there are a $hit-ton of crooked cops out there, (Wilson may very well be one) but I don't think he was in the wrong here.

You may not have to respect cops (it's clear many of you don't) but you sure as fuck can't go around assaulting them & trying to take their guns. That's not likely to have a good outcome.

How is michael brown a criminal?
    He robbed a convenient store. He attacked a cop. This is criminal behavior.
    Criminal behaviour doesn't necessarily equate to being a criminal.... and lets not forget your criminal is dead..... and criminality is legal rhetoric so....
    Is there video of Brown stealing from a store? Yes. Is stealing a crime? Yes. Would then committing a crime make you a criminal? Yes.

I understand people have different viewpoints but you know the facts and BLATANTLY show your bias by making your comments. You are a defense attorney's dream.
  • Options

Michael Brown was a criminal who attacked a cop. These facts are indisputable. As someone said earlier in the thread, if he moved to the sidewalk, and let Wilson move along, he would probably be at home getting ready for Thanksgiving w/ his family. Instead he decided to attack a cop.

He attacked a cop.

Are there racist cops in this country? Yes. Is police brutality an issue in this country? Yes. Do police lie? Yes. In this case however, there seems to be more than ample evidence that Brown was the aggressor. How can you gloss over that blatant fact?

No one is refuting that this cop was attacked by a kid who had 90lbs on him. A lot of people are questioning Wilson's toughness & injuries....... The kid had 90 f'ing pounds on him and was trying to get his gun. I don't know how you can look at those facts and say his life wasn't in danger.

Should he have waited for Brown to take his gun before he decided his life was in danger?

I'm no police apologist, I know there are a $hit-ton of crooked cops out there, (Wilson may very well be one) but I don't think he was in the wrong here.

You may not have to respect cops (it's clear many of you don't) but you sure as fuck can't go around assaulting them & trying to take their guns. That's not likely to have a good outcome.

Some people are incredibly biased. They have hatred in their hearts and don't see it.
  • Options
    dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Criminal behaviour doesn't necessarily equate to being a criminal.... and lets not forget your criminal is dead..... and criminality is legal rhetoric so....
    Yes, he's dead because he attacked a cop & tried to take his gun. No one is refuting these aspects of the case.

Attacking cops & trying to take their guns is not a recipe for a long & healthy life. I don't know what's so hard to understand.
    I am still not convinced he was going for the cops gun. Can you show me the evidence that proves he was?
    I was under the impression that DNA evidence supported Wilson's claim that Brown had grabbed his gun. After a few quick checks, I guess I'm mistaken, it was just Wilson's claim that he was going for the gun.

Are you unconvinced that Brown attacked Wilson?
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited November 2014

dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Yes, he's dead because he attacked a cop & tried to take his gun. No one is refuting these aspects of the case.

Attacking cops & trying to take their guns is not a recipe for a long & healthy life. I don't know what's so hard to understand.
    I am still not convinced he was going for the cops gun. Can you show me the evidence that proves he was?
    I was under the impression that DNA evidence supported Wilson's claim that Brown had grabbed his gun. After a few quick checks, I guess I'm mistaken, it was just Wilson's claim that he was going for the gun.

Well you shouldn't attack anyone whether they're a cop or not...But I don't see how that should warrant being shot dead...but then again I wasn't there.
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Well you shouldn't attack anyone whether they're a cop or not...But I don't see how that should warrant being shot dead...but then again I wasn't there.
    Well, a cop has a gun. Attacking someone with a gun would warrant being shot dead.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

i_lov_it said:

dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Well, a cop has a gun. Attacking someone with a gun would warrant being shot dead.
    You can't argue with a Gun.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,672
    edited November 2014
    i_lov_it said:

dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Well you shouldn't attack anyone whether they're a cop or not...But I don't see how that should warrant being shit dead...but then again I wasn't there.
    I don't think the kid should be dead. I support all the suggestions I've seen about body cameras, tasers, rubber bullets . . . . . .I love the idea of maximium accountability for police officers, because there are a lot of bad ones out there. Indict the police department for not making non-lethal deterrents mandatory. In this case however, I don't think Wilson belongs behind bars.

Trayvon Martin, Amadou Diallo, Danroy Henry. . . . those are blatant examples of abuse of authority and excessive force (GZ was not a cop, which is why I did not reference police forces in particular)

I feel differently about the Brown / Wilson situation.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

He attacked a cop.

Really???
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,200

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/26/7295595/eyewitnesses-ferguson-grand-jury

Interesting chart and commentary at link

When asked if Brown had his hands up when being shot at 16 witnesses said yes...2 said no

Great chart, and great point.

This chart also has 7 witnesses saying Brown charged (compared to 5 who say he didn't) and 5 witnesses said Brown had his hands at his waist (as opposed to 2 who said he didn't).
    Granted the disparity between stories isn't as great as the 16-2, but I still think all these wildly conflicting testimonies paint too cloudy of a picture, at least in my opinion.
    Yes and that is why so many have raised questions about the prosecutor. Normally the prosecutor would weed out the more questionable witnesses to get more support for an indictment so that a true trial could come to a true fact based conclusion. That didn't happen here...the prosecutor was on the side of the killer.

That being said I did find the eyewitness accounts from those in vehicles to be pretty solid.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Digin,you are too smart to still be in denial.The big picture of dis enfranchisement And racial stereotyping is a worthy discussion.But this case and the nonsense that followed is pretty straight forward and backed up by fact and evidence.FYI the floor pops in the Tahoe,browns blood leading away and the first wound to browns hand all answer the question for you.Happy Gobble,Gobble
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306

dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Not entirely. Some witnesses have said that Wilson initiated the scuffle (for lack of a better word) with the door of his police SUV. Swinging the door open hitting Brown then brown slammed the door back on Wilson hitting him.

I'm not saying that's what happened. I wasn't there. But I'm not going to take Wilsons story as gospel as others here have.

I am bothered when I see on here time and time again that Brown attacked Wilson presented as fact. We just don't know, the evidence may lean that way but it's not definitive. The same goes for Wilsons story that Brown went for his gun. As far as I can see there is no way to prove these things one way or the other.

I also find it troubling when I am called a Brown supporter and others have to be a Wilson supporter. That draws lines in the sand and makes this issue very divisive. I support the truth and justice, that is all I want. I don't think were going to get that with this case. Like others have said, everything is very murky.

I think we can all agree that the Ferguson PD did a terrible job in the aftermath of this one incident, which of course leads to more questions and distrust of the police.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    And meanwhile in Iraq and the mid-east.........
  • Options
    The blood behind Browns body does match Wilsons story though, that evidence is hard to refute.
  • Options

I've been thinking about this as I sit here bored at work. This is directed to the Brown supporters. Do you really think that Wilson committed first or second degree murder? I am having a difficult time understanding the line of thinking. I understand being upset over the fact that a man was killed. But why is it hard to understand that Wilson was defending himself? Would you have rather seen Wilson get a broken nose, or a black eye? Maybe a tooth or two get knocked out? Would it have been ok then?

Why are you trying so hard to find holes in Wilson's story? I'm fine with asking questions. But you are scrutinizing the way he described how hard he was being hit, how many feet did blood drops travel, freedom of information requests, white cops in a black neighborhood and so on. While all of you question the actions of Wilson, none of you have questioned the actions of Brown. Remember, he's was the aggressor in this entire incident. He was the one that just robbed a store. He was the one that was walking in the middle of the road. He was the one that slammed the police car door shut. He was the one the threw the punches. Brown tried to TAKE THE GUN AWAY FROM A POLICE OFFICER. He's the one that after he was shot, turned back, aggressively toward Wilson. These are the facts of this case. Theres is no debating that. Why aren't any of you questioning his actions? The only thing that can be debated in these fact is how you would describe how Brown was walking back towards Wilson.

So after most of us have read the transcript of the GJ testimony do you really think Wilson committed first or second degree murder? First degree is the intentional murder that is willful and premeditated. Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion."

I always assumed it would be manslaughter rather than murder. I don't think the kill shot was necessary for an unarmed 18 year old.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/26/7295595/eyewitnesses-ferguson-grand-jury

Interesting chart and commentary at link

When asked if Brown had his hands up when being shot at 16 witnesses said yes...2 said no

Great chart, and great point.

This chart also has 7 witnesses saying Brown charged (compared to 5 who say he didn't) and 5 witnesses said Brown had his hands at his waist (as opposed to 2 who said he didn't).
    Granted the disparity between stories isn't as great as the 16-2, but I still think all these wildly conflicting testimonies paint too cloudy of a picture, at least in my opinion.
    Yes and that is why so many have raised questions about the prosecutor. Normally the prosecutor would weed out the more questionable witnesses to get more support for an indictment so that a true trial could come to a true fact based conclusion. That didn't happen here...the prosecutor was on the side of the killer.

That being said I did find the eyewitness accounts from those in vehicles to be pretty solid.

I didn't see the breakdown of who was where in relation to the incident, but would like to. Was that on the chart? (honest question, not refuting what you are saying)
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Feel free to start another thread about whatever topic you want to discuss. This thread is about Michael Brown.

• Options
    dignin said:

The blood behind Browns body does match Wilsons story though, that evidence is hard to refute.

It's hard to refute that he didn't turn around and walk or "charge" back toward the officer....but both sides said that happened. The bigger question is "was he surrendering"....with a 16-2 majority of witnesses saying his hands were up.

• Options

dignin said:

It's hard to refute that he didn't turn around and walk or "charge" back toward the officer....but both sides said that happened. The bigger question is "was he surrendering"....with a 16-2 majority of witnesses saying his hands were up.
    Fair enough
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To me it boils down to the kill shot....was the cop really fearing for his life or was he enraged that this kid had disrespected him? I think the latter....no way an 18 year old charges a cop like the Hulk. Given that this was the first time Wilson fired his gun on the job I think he panicked just like the rookie that shot the 12 year old boy in Cleveland. But at least the 12 year old had a "gun."

• Options
    rr165892 said:

dignin said:

He attacked a cop.

Digin,you are too smart to still be in denial.The big picture of dis enfranchisement And racial stereotyping is a worthy discussion.But this case and the nonsense that followed is pretty straight forward and backed up by fact and evidence.FYI the floor pops in the Tahoe,browns blood leading away and the first wound to browns hand all answer the question for you.Happy Gobble,Gobble
    Oh rr, you give me too much credit, I might be dumber than you think. ;) Happy American Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Feel free to start another thread about whatever topic you want to discuss. This thread is about Michael Brown.
    I know what this threads about. I was making a statement and it seems went over some peoples head.
  • Options

To me it boils down to the kill shot....was the cop really fearing for his life or was he enraged that this kid had disrespected him? I think the latter....no way an 18 year old charges a cop like the Hulk. Given that this was the first time Wilson fired his gun on the job I think he panicked just like the rookie that shot the 12 year old boy in Cleveland. But at least the 12 year old had a "gun."

After seeing that video of the kid getting shot the only conclusion I can come to is that there has to be a better way. The car hadn't even stopped before they had shot him. Sad.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    edited November 2014

He attacked a cop.

100% agree. So many were so quick to decide what happened here but it turns out Michael Brown was a poor standard for their cause to rally around.

Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dignin said:

After seeing that video of the kid getting shot the only conclusion I can come to is that there has to be a better way. The car hadn't even stopped before they had shot him. Sad.

But these two cases aren't even remotely close.

One officer shot a man that was assaulting him. One officer shot a 12 year old child without even making an assessment of what the situation was.

One was justified and one is highly negligent.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,489

dignin said:

One officer shot a man that was assaulting him. One officer shot a 12 year old child without even making an assessment of what the situation was.

In your mind MB killing was justified not in mine I'd have to see way more proof that MB was assaulting him way more ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

I will post as many stories about police lying as i can find as long a people will continue to believe what Wilson has said.

As i said previous Wilson made 2 cell phone calls after the shooting that is not found in his interview or his gj testimony. One was made to his friend the chief of police in a neighboring town the other is still unknown.

The civil suit will bring many more things to light. Let's see if Wilson takes the stand since he was so willing to give 4.5 hours of testimony to the grand jury without being cross examined.

Good strategy!

Get your rant and 'somewhat' relative musings squashed by the grand jury's findings and the presentation of evidence. Scratch your head for a moment. Then begin posting a barrage of links displaying other police violence cases to make your case stick.

You're hanging your hat on the wrong case. If you wish to make a difference from your sofa typing on a keyboard... then switch gears and place the Cleveland 12 year old boy case in your pocket. You could gain traction from there.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

He attacked a cop.

Is there video of Brown stealing from a store? Yes. Is stealing a crime? Yes. Would then committing a crime make you a criminal? Yes.

I understand people have different viewpoints but you know the facts and BLATANTLY show your bias by making your comments. You are a defense attorney's dream.
    There are also laws against falsifying police reports, unlawful arrests, laws about filing police reports and handling and preserving evidence. I hold police to a higher standard then Joe Masterbaght.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Too bad the shoddy investigation doesn't clarify whether that blood is droplets or splatter or as i like to call it blood and brains splatter matter, our 35th president made so famous.
  • Options

dignin said:

In your mind MB killing was justified not in mine I'd have to see way more proof that MB was assaulting him way more ...
    You mean like missing teeth, broken nose, maybe a gun shot wound, or death? Is that what it had to come to? That bruising on his face was significant. I know a lot if internet tough guys are saying that's just a wussy wound, but give that fresh bruise a day or two and watch the discoloration.

And it doesn't matter anyways. Some idiot is challenging a cop who has a gun. They've punched him, apparently went for the gun themselves, and charged him. This is enough... more than enough.

A hand to hand fight wasn't going to go very well for Wilson. And don't tell me you think that Wilson should have just let Brown walk away- imagine if cops did that... every time a person became unruly they just let the guy walk away so that they could try and detain them when the assailant was in a better mood. The 10C manual to 21st century policing!

Good lord, man.

Would you feel better if we just took the guns from cops? Maybe even just get rid of cops? We want them to go out and 'serve and protect'... and we also want them to get their asses kicked by our criminals before they might think to defend themselves. Fuck cops... our criminals are people too. Sign me up!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To clarify, there is no similarity to the 12 year old boy getting his guts blown out and brown getting his brains blown out other than i was trying to point out that the video proves that the police lied at first.
    If they will lie about a 12 year old boy getting his guts blown out then they will lie about some foul mouthed punk criminal thug that got his brains blown out. That's all....
    I will no longer post stories about police lying as requested by some posters as it will probably double the pages of this already long thread. I will exhaust and lengthen other threads on lying cops.