Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    edited November 2014
    We're never going to know what happened. The kid is dead, the cop's life is ruined, and the struggle for racial equality in this country will march on. It is just as easy to blame the police as it is to blame the deceased. This became about more than this one shooting from the very beginning.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

maybe an answer si to , along with a requirement of taser use first , add in rubber bullets to incapacitate first before blood is shed in a tense quickly evolving situation. ALONG WITH BODY CAMERAS!!!!

And not aiming for the heart when shooting! If they have to shoot, do NOT SHOOT TO KILL, shoot to capture and keep the guy alive.
    Wilson shot this guy 5 times and he was still coming towards him. The 6th shot was the kill shot. I'd say he was shooting to injure. Brown kept coming. At some point, there has to be a kill shot. If Brown stops charging towards Wilson at any point, he'd probably still be alive. He had several chances to stay alive.
    Are you kidding. 5 shots hit him and he didn't slow at all. If that were true, all the officer had to do was back up and let him fall on his own. But he didn't. He kept shooting. To kill.
    I didn't say it didn't slow him down. I said he kept coming towards Wilson. Brown had several opportunities to stay alive from the time Wilson told him to get off the street to the final head shot.The first 5 shots were not kill shots. At some fucking point Brown has to be held accountable for not listening to what the police officer was saying. Wethaer you like or respect cops or not, you still have to listen to them. If you don't think that's accurate, next time you get pulled over, tell the cop to go fuck himself when he asks you for your license and registration.
    And police should be held accountable for killing a person when it wasn't absolutely necessary. If he was hit 5 times, he was injured. Undoubtably. Anyone knows that if you get hit with a bullet, you are injured. All you need is time before you drop to the ground.

I thought police were humane, but not if they get kicks out of shooting a man 6 TIMES. To kill. Not to injure and capture.
    They are held accountable when they illegally kill someone. Police are allowed to kill people. Wilson killed this guy legally and under proper protocol by which he was trained. That's why he will not be charged with any crime. It's real easy for all of us to sit back and criticize how a high stressed, life threatening situation should have been handled when it's not our life on the line.
    You give a force way too much credit where indictment is rare, sentences are rare, guys keep their jobs while getting away with questionable behavior, and think that they are above the law. Entire police depts are corrupt. It is completely naive to think that every cop is not only a good cop, but that they should be respected. I don't respect cops, I fear them. I have to, because may officers carry a power trip and a gun. Talk about a societal problem.

And here, they are here to protect the public? I call bullshit.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018

They are held accountable when they illegally kill someone. Police are allowed to kill people. Wilson killed this guy legally and under proper protocol by which he was trained. That's why he will not be charged with any crime. It's real easy for all of us to sit back and criticize how a high stressed, life threatening situation should have been handled when it's not our life on the line.
    It's so incredibly easy to criticize how this was handled, and I don't blame the police officer or the supposed assailant, because the 'evidence' is murky at best. What I do blame is the process, and the fact that the checks and balances in high-stressed, life-threatening situations such as this one are absent where they need not be.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Perhaps having an all white police force in a heavily colored area was the first problem and very well could have been fixed before anything like this happened. Any time the classes of population are extreme in accordance to the governing and the governed, more than likely will there be revolt. Ferguson was merely waiting for this to happen.
  • Options
    benjs said:

It's so incredibly easy to criticize how this was handled, and I don't blame the police officer or the supposed assailant, because the 'evidence' is murky at best. What I do blame is the process, and the fact that the checks and balances in high-stressed, life-threatening situations such as this one are absent where they need not be.
    I also blame the rush to judgment. For some this was a clean shoot and for others cold blooded murder long before there was enough evidence one way or the other. Now many are dug in behind their opinion, convinced they are right, and hearing only what they want to.

• Options

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/26/7295595/eyewitnesses-ferguson-grand-jury

Interesting chart and commentary at link

When asked if Brown had his hands up when being shot at 16 witnesses said yes...2 said no

Great chart, and great point.

This chart also has 7 witnesses saying Brown charged (compared to 5 who say he didn't) and 5 witnesses said Brown had his hands at his waist (as opposed to 2 who said he didn't).
    Granted the disparity between stories isn't as great as the 16-2, but I still think all these wildly conflicting testimonies paint too cloudy of a picture, at least in my opinion.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

At the end of the day a young man was murdered and yes he was not an exemplanary citizen probably far from it but still didn't deserve to die the way he did !! & yes all the other protest are totally against cops agression all across the nation ....Rest assured the police in Ferguson won't be enjoying their Turkey dinners tomorrow .....

I just completely don't understand this viewpoint. At least you acknowledge that Brown was a criminal but even still it is ignored in your conclusion that he didn't deserve to die that way. Sure, his actions of stealing some food/whatever, walking down the middle of the street and then punching a police officer doesn't warrant a death penalty in court (when the situation is over), but in the heat of the moment when he is punching a police officer and the officer fears for his safety there seems to be some justification for the shooting and responsibility on Brown's part.

I would be all for putting a cop in jail who kills or beats an innocent person who follows the officer's instructions, but using this Ferguson situation as a reason to hate cops is unbelievable. The guy freaking assaulted a cop. The cop took him down. It is like the protesters looting and burning buildings in efforts to protest the police. Um...that is going to create a bigger police presence.

I've been pulled over by the police at least 10 times for speeding. I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic, and wasn't endangering me or anyone else. But, I didn't get an attitude with the cop or punch the cop, I listened to the officer and gave them my driver's license and registration. The cops gave me a ticket and I drove off. The cop lived. I lived. It is SIMPLE not to be killed by a cop. 99.99% of the population seem to manage to do it.

I once even had five squad cars surround my car because I was sitting with friends waiting for a buddy to come out and the neighbor thought we were going to steal a car. The cop even drew a gun. Guess what...we all lived because we listened to the officer and didn't assault them.
    Hey what can i tell you i see things differently than you i don't believe this kid deserved to die the way he did i'm just a bit tinsie winsie skeptical of the cops story , you believe it to be completly true ....
    I just don't have sympathy for someone who robs a store and punches a police officer. I am sure both versions of the story have truths and lies, but both seem to include someone punching an officer so by default I will side with the officer's account. You choose to give the benefit of the doubt to the criminal. I would want you on my jury if I ever committed a crime.
    People make mistakes...petty theft a couple of punches. Nothing worthy of death. I have been on both end of a punch and in neither situation did someone deserve death.
    When a patient punches a nurse (happens every day) should the nurse inject the patient until they stop breathing? Both jobs are thankless, dangerous, full of hazards, and deal with the lowest of lowlifes, and both are public servants. What's the difference? We hold nurses and doctors and firemen and politicians to a higher moral and behavioral standard.
    Cameras, higher entrance standards, higher behavioral/social standards and better compensation!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2014

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/26/7295595/eyewitnesses-ferguson-grand-jury

Interesting chart and commentary at link

When asked if Brown had his hands up when being shot at 16 witnesses said yes...2 said no

Has anyone watched the video on this link in the first article on the right sidebar (Officer Darren Wilson's story is unbelievable. Literally.)? Worth the watch. It illustrates the problem at large. The stats of police firing a gun at black teens vs. white teens, the reputation black teens get labeled, the credibility police carry in court situations (because they are held to a respectable position by society), etc. It's time to reevaluate when we allow police to use force, and what the consequences should be when they get it wrong.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/11/video_of_tamir_rice_shooting_b.html#incart_related_stories

What a tragedy! This is fucking ridiculous!
    But no, you should trust the police, they don't just gun black people down, that's just something the race baiters say...yeah fucking right. Just like John Crawford, shot within 5 seconds of initial encounter. Those who have such disdain and harsh words for the rioters and looters should look at situations like this and wonder why they get so pissed about some "thugs" causing fucking PROPERTY damage and yet they don't give two hoots for these common events where innocent blacks lose their LIVES!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    benjs said:

What is murky about the evidence in this case? Wilson's story is backed up with the physical evidence. The only thing murky is the several eye witness accounts. Their stories changed as more real facts were released.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,766
    JimmyV said:

We're never going to know what happened. The kid is dead, the cop's life is ruined, and the struggle for racial equality in this country will march on. It is just as easy to blame the police as it is to blame the deceased. This became about more than this one shooting from the very beginning.

Is the cop's life ruined? How so? He's not being charged or anything, and my assumption is that he feels righteous about what he did (however it happened). I don't think this whole thing will negatively effect his career because that's just not how it works for cops. When they're cleared like this, it doesn't follow them around like things do in other professions unless they did something against another cop.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Perhaps having an all white police force in a heavily colored area was the first problem and very well could have been fixed before anything like this happened. Any time the classes of population are extreme in accordance to the governing and the governed, more than likely will there be revolt. Ferguson was merely waiting for this to happen.

That is a valid point. But one that has nothing to do with this case. But definitely worth addressing after the fact.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

maybe an answer si to , along with a requirement of taser use first , add in rubber bullets to incapacitate first before blood is shed in a tense quickly evolving situation. ALONG WITH BODY CAMERAS!!!!

And not aiming for the heart when shooting! If they have to shoot, do NOT SHOOT TO KILL, shoot to capture and keep the guy alive.
    Wilson shot this guy 5 times and he was still coming towards him. The 6th shot was the kill shot. I'd say he was shooting to injure. Brown kept coming. At some point, there has to be a kill shot. If Brown stops charging towards Wilson at any point, he'd probably still be alive. He had several chances to stay alive.
    Are you kidding. 5 shots hit him and he didn't slow at all. If that were true, all the officer had to do was back up and let him fall on his own. But he didn't. He kept shooting. To kill.
    I didn't say it didn't slow him down. I said he kept coming towards Wilson. Brown had several opportunities to stay alive from the time Wilson told him to get off the street to the final head shot.The first 5 shots were not kill shots. At some fucking point Brown has to be held accountable for not listening to what the police officer was saying. Wethaer you like or respect cops or not, you still have to listen to them. If you don't think that's accurate, next time you get pulled over, tell the cop to go fuck himself when he asks you for your license and registration.
    And police should be held accountable for killing a person when it wasn't absolutely necessary. If he was hit 5 times, he was injured. Undoubtably. Anyone knows that if you get hit with a bullet, you are injured. All you need is time before you drop to the ground.

I thought police were humane, but not if they get kicks out of shooting a man 6 TIMES. To kill. Not to injure and capture.
    You give a force way too much credit where indictment is rare, sentences are rare, guys keep their jobs while getting away with questionable behavior, and think that they are above the law. Entire police depts are corrupt. It is completely naive to think that every cop is not only a good cop, but that they should be respected. I don't respect cops, I fear them. I have to, because may officers carry a power trip and a gun. Talk about a societal problem.

I understand that there are bad apples in the profession. I wrote a few pages back that respect is earned even for cops. But the simple fact that cops put a uniform on every day and risk their lives is worth a certain amount of respect by itself. There are more good cops out there that care about the communities they serve than there are bad ones. Blind disrespect for the entire profession is naive and easy.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

I understand that there are bad apples in the profession. I wrote a few pages back that respect is earned even for cops. But the simple fact that cops put a uniform on every day and risk their lives is worth a certain amount of respect by itself. There are more good cops out there that care about the communities they serve than there are bad ones. Blind disrespect for the entire profession is naive and easy.
    You can't quantify the number of "good" vs "bad" cops don't act like you have it as fact.
    Blind deference is just as naive and just as easy.
  • Options
    Do you not have the utmost respect for the men and women that serve in our military? Do you think every single man and woman in the armed forces are good, honest citizens? I'm sure there are corrupt, murdering bastards in the military. But I haven't seen to many protesting those bad apples. Why is that? Military personnel and law enforcement personnel are very similar professions. One is defending our freedom and the other is protecting them.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

You can't quantify the number of "good" vs "bad" cops don't act like you have it as fact.
    If you want to believe that there are more bad cops in the country than good, that's fine. Because if that's the root of your argument, it doesn't hold much water.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2014

What is murky about the evidence in this case? Wilson's story is backed up with the physical evidence. The only thing murky is the several eye witness accounts. Their stories changed as more real facts were released.

This is Officer Darren Wilson's story. Sounds murky to me.
    http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7281165/darren-wilsons-story-side
  • Options

Do you not have the utmost respect for the men and women that serve in our military? Do you think every single man and woman in the armed forces are good, honest citizens? I'm sure there are corrupt, murdering bastards in the military. But I haven't seen to many protesting those bad apples. Why is that? Military personnel and law enforcement personnel are very similar professions. One is defending our freedom and the other is protecting them.

I don't actually have utmost respect for military members. I take it on a case by case basis with an overall mistrust of why someone would join a profession that would put them in a situation where murder for profit takes place. We ha e a problem of uniform worship in this country. Perhaps you could explain what freedoms the average infantryman is defending and WHO they are defending me from? It's been a few generations since we were attacked and yet we have been at war killing the entire time. This is another topic altogether!
  • Options

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

If you want to believe that there are more bad cops in the country than good, that's fine. Because if that's the root of your argument, it doesn't hold much water.
    I don't believe that per set, but if you think your argument holds water you are not using logic. Neither is a quantifiable fact, which is why we have to take it case by case with a healthy amount of skepticism, the same as we do for politicians and other servants.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

The stories of the bad ones have been pounding the media. Therefore, dismaying how I see them as a whole. Personally, I don't have much making a positive impact on me. Just last week a police car almost plowed into me at an intersection I had a complete right-of-way. My area has been plagued with police in the news, both individuals and an entire city police force. The good ones don't stand out in my area.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I don't actually have utmost respect for military members. I take it on a case by case basis with an overall mistrust of why someone would join a profession that would put them in a situation where murder for profit takes place. We ha e a problem of uniform worship in this country. Perhaps you could explain what freedoms the average infantryman is defending and WHO they are defending me from? It's been a few generations since we were attacked and yet we have been at war killing the entire time. This is another topic altogether!
    You don't count 9/11 as an attack? I'm not arguing, I agree with what you said.
  • Options

This is Officer Darren Wilson's story. Sounds murky to me.
    http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7281165/darren-wilsons-story-side
    I've read that. It's pretty much the bible for Brown supporters. The only relevant point that author asks is why. Why was Brown acting the way he acted. Why did he start the fight with the cop? Why did he he charge/walk back/ stumble back towards Wilson after he was shot.
  • Options

rgambs said:

You don't count 9/11 as an attack? I'm not arguing, I agree with what you said.
    Not really. I mean it was an attack but not by a military force against which we can go to war. Terrorism is a whole different deal.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Is the cop's life ruined? How so? He's not being charged or anything, and my assumption is that he feels righteous about what he did (however it happened). I don't think this whole thing will negatively effect his career because that's just not how it works for cops. When they're cleared like this, it doesn't follow them around like things do in other professions unless they did something against another cop.
    I guess we'll see on that. I do think he is going to lose his job and may never work as a cop again. But maybe not. Maybe he will be forgotten. Time will tell.

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

Hold on a minute here... Did I just read "heavily Colored area"???? Where is this forum's racist detector Rgambs?? Care to call him out on this blatant racist comment like you do to everyone who doesn't see things your way?
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Hold on a minute here... Did I just read "heavily Colored area"???? Where is this forum's racist detector Rgambs?? Care to call him out on this blatant racist comment like you do to everyone who doesn't see things your way?
    You just don't understand, it is about intent. "Colored" may not be the preferred term, but it was used benignly.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Meanwhile, your overuse of the word ghetto and repetition of the phrase "pants up don't loot" ( you must think you are sooo funny) don't show a benign intent. "Swisher sweet spliff and bottle of Henne" "Pants 4 sizes too big so we can all see their Foobu underwear". Disdain much?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,432

benjs said:

lolobugg said:

body cameras for all active patrol cops
    this needs to happen yesterday

Agreed. We have the technology to bake accountability into the jobs of people responsible for answering the question of who lives and who dies, from time to time, and the reticence to disseminate these technologies is inexcusable. If funds are an issue, re-allocate some of the budget from the military and let them struggle with the cutbacks.

What's nice about always-on body cameras is that they provide impartial evidence, and promote accountability from both assailants and defendants. The only people that should see them as a bad thing are the people who want no accountability for their actions, and if a member of the police force feels that way, he or she shouldn't be on the police force at all.
    Yes, unless the police dept uses the cameras
    benjs said:

lolobugg said:

body cameras for all active patrol cops
    this needs to happen yesterday

Agreed. We have the technology to bake accountability into the jobs of people responsible for answering the question of who lives and who dies, from time to time, and the reticence to disseminate these technologies is inexcusable. If funds are an issue, re-allocate some of the budget from the military and let them struggle with the cutbacks.

What's nice about always-on body cameras is that they provide impartial evidence, and promote accountability from both assailants and defendants. The only people that should see them as a bad thing are the people who want no accountability for their actions, and if a member of the police force feels that way, he or she shouldn't be on the police force at all.
    Yes, but that's if the police dept is honest… The cameras would ultimately be police property. If they aren't required by a lawsuit to use the cameras as evidence, the dept can use the cameras -or not use the cameras - any way they please.
    Unless that jurisdiction's public safety dept writes the rules to use of and storage for all data and images to deny access to police without a judges oversight.

There are ways rules could be written to avoid or lessen improper use etc.

Fuck at the end of the day. It helps keep everyone honest in the day to day dealings..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,432
    edited November 2014
    Let's talk about concrete possible solutions.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Let's hope the idea gains traction, it will benefit all and improve the image of law enforcement.