Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127
    Excessive force, for sure. Walking around with a pellet gun that looks like an assault rifle in a Walmart is not recommended, but they gave him a one mississippi before opening fire.

We may need to enact the Barney Fife rule where cops get one bullet that they keep in their front pocket. Fuck putting GoPros on cops. They figured out how to handle cops with itchy trigger fingers back in the 50's on a TV show.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Indictment aside, I'd like to see these cops transitioned into another line of work!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,313
    Man killed by off-duty St. Louis officer was unarmed, mother says
    Police say man had gun, fired three shots at officer

St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson says the 18-year-old, identified by his mother as Vonderrit D. Myers, shot at the officer Wednesday night. Dotson says the officer returned fire. He didn't identify the 32-year-old officer.

Syreeta Myers told The Associated Press by phone Thursday that her son wasn't armed, as police contend.

At a news conference on Thursday, Democratic state Sen. Jamilah Nasheed questioned why the officer approached Vonderrit Myers in the first place. She called it a clear case of racial profiling.

Police Shooting Missouri
    St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson outlines the department's use of deadly force while answering questions from a civic committee meeting Wednesday. (Laurie Skrivan/Associated Press)

Dotson said that at one point, the suspect's shirt raised and the officer saw what he thought was a gun. "The officer said he wanted to be certain it was a gun and did not fire at that point," he said.

The chief said the suspect ran up a hill, turned and opened fired on the officer, who returned fire and killed the man. Ballistic evidence shows that the teen fired three shots and tried to fire again but his gun jammed, he said, noting that the 9-mm gun was recovered.

The officer, a six-year veteran of the St. Louis police force whose race wasn't immediately disclosed, fired off 17 rounds. Dotson said he didn't know how many of those bullets struck the suspect, or why the officer, who wasn't hurt, fired that many shots.

"An investigation will decide if the officer's behaviour was appropriate," he said.

Syreeta Myers said her son was holding a sandwich when he was killed, and that he wasn't armed.

'Hands up, don't shoot'

Asked about police claims that there was evidence the young man fired three shots and recovered a 9-mm weapon at the scene, Syreeta Myers said, "Police lie. They lied about Michael Brown, too."

Michael Brown was the unarmed black 18-year-old who was killed on Aug. 9 by a white police officer in nearby Ferguson. Brown's killing was very much on the minds of protesters who gathered after Wednesday's shooting, with some shouting "Hands up, don't shoot" — a common refrain during the weeks of sometimes violent protests in Ferguson.

A state grand jury is deciding if the Ferguson officer, Darren Wilson, will face charges. He has not been seen in public since the Aug. 9 shooting.

Dotson said that the man killed Wednesday night was "no stranger to law enforcement," including since he had turned 18.

Online court documents show that Vonderrit Myers was charged in June in St. Louis with the unlawful use of a weapon, a felony, and misdemeanour resisting arrest. A hearing that had been scheduled for Monday was continued until Nov. 17.

The police chief said some in the crowd Wednesday night shouted obscenities at officers and damaged police cars, but that the officers "showed great restraint."

Unaware of any video

He added: "Any police officer use of force certainly will draw attention."

No demonstrators were arrested and by 1 a.m. Thursday the crowd had largely dispersed.

Dotson said he wasn't aware of any video of the shooting.

"We want to be open and transparent and as thorough as we possibly can," Dotson said.

It was the third fatal police-involved shooting in the St. Louis area since Brown's death. On Aug. 19, Kajieme Powell, 25, was shot by St. Louis city officers after moving toward them with a knife while telling them, "Shoot me now. Kill me now." Both officers fired six shots each. Powell died at the scene.

On Sept. 17, officers shot and killed a 42-year-old man in the St. Louis County town of Jennings after the suspect allegedly slammed his vehicle into two police vehicles before pointing a rifle at officers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/man-killed-by-off-duty-st-louis-officer-was-unarmed-mother-says-1.2793795
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Michael Brown was the unarmed BLACK 18-year-old who was killed on Aug. 9 by a WHITE police officer in nearby Ferguson.........
    this is the real issue isn't it, BLACK and WHITE, what a crock of shit..

Godfather.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,208

Michael Brown was the unarmed BLACK 18-year-old who was killed on Aug. 9 by a WHITE police officer in nearby Ferguson.........

Godfather.

Not really....the issue is that he was killed 30 feet from the police car running away with his hands up. The reason is White on Black most likely....but it's a crime nonetheless

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited October 2014

Godfather.

Tend to agree. Think came down to mike fighting cop then cop killed him. Excessive probably. This second one appears to be justified. People will believe what they want to believe.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    dignin said:
    I thought this forum had already hung him?

The forensics seem to support what officer Wilson had said- that he was accosted inside his car. Wilson's blood was inside the car and on his gun (according to the FBI forensic team).

At the moment of truth, conflicting testimonies report Brown was coming towards Wilson, while others are saying he was down and had his hands in the air.

I'm not sure what to think from a million miles away. I will say that Brown acted badly that day. We do know that prior to the event, he was behaving in a criminal manner. If the FBI forensic team has verified Wilson's account of Brown attacking him inside his police car, then Brown was dangerously reckless to say the least. Leave robbing a convenience store and walking down the middle of a street while ignoring a police request to move to the side of the road alone... what good can come from attacking a guy with a gun?

If the story is somewhere in between, I don't know how much respect I have for a person violently attacking another person... then quickly begging for forgiveness the moment they lose the upper hand. If Brown had indeed attacked Wilson and was afforded the opportunity to seriously injure or even slay Wilson... would have he backed off? I'm not saying Brown needed to be 'executed' (if this aspect of the story is accurate), but I am saying his behaviour was brutal.

For the record... I have the 'impression' that the assault did occur and that Wilson failed to manage his taught emotions after gaining control of the tense situation. My 'unqualified' position thinks that he did shoot Brown as an executioner might. I know a lot of people are under the impression that cops should to be like cyborgs and calmly scroll through their list of options choosing the most appropriate course of action at critical times... but the reality is that cops are human beings and prone to making poor choices. I'm not offering a defence for Wilson as much as I'm questioning the need to 'poke the bear' thinking nothing bad can result?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    It is actually Brown's blood that was found all over...not Wilson's

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

It is actually Brown's blood that was found all over...not Wilson's

Re-read it. You are correct. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,317
    i was at the rams game sunday and there was a huge scuffle outside the dome after the game. there were protesters there. from what i saw they were peacefully assembled. one of them was holding an american flag upside down. i saw it and i was like "yeah i get it. a sign of distress. he has a right to hold it that way if he wants to." and i kept walking. several minutes later as we were walking to our car we saw no less than 30 cop cars go flying past us. apparently a rams fan spit on one of the protesters and there was a fight. i don't know much else about the situation, as it happened after we walked past, but people here have had it with the protestors.

a leader of the protesters today said that there would be "war" if no charges were pressed. not sure what that means, but i am fairly certain that if there were going to be charges, the cop would have been arrested by now.

a couple of weeks ago there were allegations that the investigation was tainted when a friend of a person on the grand jury tweeted that there were going to be no charges. that caused a shitstorm here. this whole situation has been completely bungled at every turn on both sides.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The more I hear about this the more I think that this officer will not be charged with any crime. It also appears to me that some of these so called eye witness accounts are false. The second autopsy of brown states there was no way that Brown had his hands up.

Gimmie, stay safe. And nice win Sunday.
  • Options

The more I hear about this the more I think that this officer will not be charged with any crime. It also appears to me that some of these so called eye witness accounts are false. The second autopsy of brown states there was no way that Brown had his hands up.

What is your source for saying "The second autopsy of brown states there was no way that Brown had his hands up." ?

• Options

What is your source for saying "The second autopsy of brown states there was no way that Brown had his hands up." ?
    The story is on CNN.com.

Forensic Pathologist Dr. Judy Melinek stated "a sixth that hit the forearm traveled from the back of the arm, which means Brown's palms could not have been facing Wilson, as some witnesses have said. That trajectory shows Brown probably was not taking a standard surrender position with arms above the shoulders and palms out when he was hit."
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    http://news.yahoo.com/autopsy-slain-missouri-teen-shows-close-range-gunshot-124136577.html

shot in hand at close range... interesting. Wonder what the race baiters Jesse and Al will say?
  • Options
    Staceb10 said:

http://news.yahoo.com/autopsy-slain-missouri-teen-shows-close-range-gunshot-124136577.html

shot in hand at close range... interesting. Wonder what the race baiters Jesse and Al will say?

What do you expect them to say? How does this prove that the kid wasn't killed while running away? We know how far his body was from the vehicle right?

• Options

Staceb10 said:

What do you expect them to say? How does this prove that the kid wasn't killed while running away? We know how far his body was from the vehicle right?
    He wasn't shot in the back. Was be running away backwards?
  • Options

Staceb10 said:

He wasn't shot in the back. Was be running away backwards?
    At least one witness said he turned after getting
    shot and then got plugged several times. One can run away then turn around.

• Options
    One of the arm shots could have come from behind.

Do you really believe an 18 year old boy would charge a policeman who is shooting at him?

• Options

Do you really believe an 18 year old boy would charge a policeman who is shooting at him?

Are you seriously calling the 6'+, 200lb+, 18 year old a boy? Regardless, Brown had gunshot residue on his hand. Which means he was less than 18 inches away from the gun when he was shot. That would coincide with the officers story of Brown reaching for Wilson's gun.
  • Options

Both autopsies proved that he didn't get shot from behind. Why are you still claiming this?
  • Options
    The stories are all over the place, but I think the following are indisputable:
    1. Brown is a criminal.
    2. Brown was defiant with authorities when asked to get off the middle of the road.
    3. Brown's defiance resulted in a situation escalating in intensity and a physical altercation ensued.
    4. Brown was shot dead as a result of this altercation.

This situation occurred immediately after Brown robbed the convenience store. We know that Wilson never had knowledge of this fact, but is it within the realm of possibilities that Brown was fearing Wilson did know of his crime? Further, is it within the realm of possibilities that Brown was fearing an arrest and that he resisted as much as he did because of this? Can we confidently say Brown did not have malice on his mind when he and Wilson were physically engaged?

It's hard not to think the worse of the officer, but at the same time and with such varying accounts of the incident... I find it equally hard to give Brown the benefit of the doubt given his actions that led to the fatal altercation.

• Options

Both autopsies proved that he didn't get shot from behind. Why are you still claiming this?
    Could he have been shot at while he was running away? Could the officer have missed all of those shots?

How far away from the vehicle was the body? How did it get there?

• Options

Could he have been shot at while he was running away? Could the officer have missed all of those shots?

If he was running away, he would have been shot in the back, right? None of the bullets entered his body in the back or from behind.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My point to this was that 1) it's looking like, to me, that the eyewitness accounts could be wrong because Brown did not have his hands up and 2) he was not shot in the back.

As far as where his body was, I don't know. As reported in the CNN.com article, Wilson will have to answer for the shots fired after the initial shots that were at close range when Brown was reaching for his.gun.

If you are not going to explain how you can call Brown an 18 year old boy, please stop referring to him as such.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options

If he was running away, he would have been shot in the back, right? None of the bullets entered his body in the back or from behind.
    Is it possible that the officer missed??

• Options
    edited October 2014

My point to this was that 1) it's looking like, to me, that the eyewitness accounts could be wrong because Brown did not have his hands up and 2) he was not shot in the back.

As far as where his body was, I don't know. As reported in the CNN.com article, Wilson will have to answer for the shots fired after the initial shots that were at close range when Brown was reaching for his.gun.

If you are not going to explain how you can call Brown an 18 year old boy, please stop referring to him as such.

His body was 35 feet from the vehicle. What does that tell you?

Do you have kids? My son is now 21 but at 18 he was still 6'2". Size doesn't matter. At 18 were you magically a responsible adult?
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    Yes I have kids. And when my kids turn 18 they will still be my babies. But to anyone else, including the law, they are adults.

And yes, it's very possible he missed. I doubt the officer is charged with anything dealing with missed shots. What is your point to him missing?