Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    it is or just was a area of state emergency, national guard, state police, sheriffs deputies, law enforcement from all over missouri & possibly neighboring states, riot gear fuckers & who knows who else... it's not a time to be acting the fool w/ cops
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,763
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Idris said:

And whatever happened to firing 'warning shots' (or is that just in the movies?) or shooting a person's leg(s).

well you don't know if the guy has a gun so if you just fire a warning shot or hit his leg you could end up dead if he does have one.

and i suspect if warning shots were fired the neighbors would complain about firing shots needlessly.
    That logic makes zero sense... By that standard, they could shoot anyone who resists arrest, because they "might" have a gun and could end up dead.
    as they said you don't have a constitutional right to resist arrest...so uhh maybe yes
    Not having a right to do something doesn't mean that being killed for doing it is reasonable.
    Bottom line, shooting someone should be the LAST resort, not the first. It's a simple concept.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    who comes at a cop shouting, "shoot me mother fucker" supposedly w/ a knife in hand?

"(whatever his name is i can't tell) this isn't how you do it, bro, ya know what i'm sayin." shopkeeper
    "y'all call the police?" video guy
    "somethin somethin, naw, he called 'em, i aint want that shit" shopkeeper
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

who comes at a cop shouting, "shoot me mother fucker" supposedly w/ a knife in hand?

A mentally ill or mentally unsound person does that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

7/18- Jimmie Norman, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/18- Terry Taylor, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/17- Cindy Raygoza, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/11- Luis Aguilar, 91 year old hispanic male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/10- Brittany Simpson, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Sarah Goode, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Jeffrey Westerfield, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/5- Perry Renn, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/3- Laurey Kennedy, white female still in coma from beating by black male. No national news
    7/3 Eric Mollet, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Rupert Anderson, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Jennifer Kingeter, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/30 Jim Brennan, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/29 Paul Shephard, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Shirley Barone, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Penelope Spencer, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Inga Evans, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/26 Jake Rameau, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/25 Gina Burger, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/24 Nathan Dasher, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/22 Jonathan Price, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/20 John Whitmore, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/18 John Yingling,white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/17 Allyn Reeves, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/15 Michael Beaver, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Angela Cook, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Nathan Hall, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/7 Harry Briggs, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/5 Laura Bachman, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/2 Robert Mohler, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/1 William Headley, white male, murdered by black male. No national news

I know several others have pointed out how ignorant this post is but I did want to point out that while the black man that killed Perry Renn on 07/05/14 might not have made national news (how do you even know??) I will say that the killer is in custody and will most likely face the death penalty in Indiana.

That's one difference between your "list" and Michael Brown's situation.

how ignorant this post is ? ...and yet you took the time to reply so I'm thinking it struck a nerve with at least a few members and besides I think you and a few others might be missing the point or just don't want to see or understand, a white guy/cop kills a black guy the black community loots and burns down their neighborhood and the media is forced to cover it because they know it will boost ratings-now a black guy/cop kills a white guy...the white community does not loot or burn down their own town so the media does not see any ratings in that.....everybody(whites) is so afraid of the race card they don't want to offend anybody, at least I call it like I see it and don't hide behind bullshit words and comments like biggot or racist.

Godfather.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited August 2014
    Edit
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

A mentally ill or mentally unsound person does that.
    true they can. i think those cops should use other means. but damn shit is very real & thru the ceiling down there. cops are nervous. citizens are nervous. bad bad shit

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    edited August 2014
    Idris said:

And whatever happened to firing 'warning shots' (or is that just in the movies?) or shooting a person's leg(s).

Police are trained to shoot at the largest body mass and that is the torso. Try shooting at someone’s legs but miss and hit a bystander, what would the news stories be then? Also, I’m pretty sure warning shots aren’t something cops do.

I have to find the video of a NYC transit cop getting into a fight on the subway platform. The cop repeatedly tells the man to stand down but the man keeps walking towards him. The cop then pepper spays the man multiple times but it doesn’t stop him. The cop finds himself in a full on brawl, I believe the officer is able to get the situation under control as the video ends before the fight does but what happens if during the brawl the man gets ahold of the cops gun and kills him? Would people say the officer shouldn’t have used pepper spray and just shoot him? The officer is lucky that he was able to go home and see his family that night is all I’m saying.

Decisions need to be made quickly; you don’t have a pause button like in a video game to gather your thoughts. It’s always easy for us to sit here and make judgments on these situations, but for once try putting yourself in a situation that could go wrong quickly, are you really going to worry about some man who was obviously egging the cops on and yelling at them to kill him, or will you worry about your life and the life of your partner?
    NYPJ
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    edited August 2014

7/11- Luis Aguilar, 91 year old hispanic male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/3- Laurey Kennedy, white female still in coma from beating by black male. No national news

I know several others have pointed out how ignorant this post is but I did want to point out that while the black man that killed Perry Renn on 07/05/14 might not have made national news (how do you even know??) I will say that the killer is in custody and will most likely face the death penalty in Indiana.

how ignorant this post is ? ...and yet you took the time to reply so I'm thinking it struck a nerve with at least a few members and besides I think you and a few others might be missing the point or just don't want to see or understand, a white guy/cop kills a black guy the black community loots and burns down their neighborhood and the media is forced to cover it because they know it will boost ratings-now a black guy/cop kills a white guy...the white community does not loot or burn down their own town so the media does not see any ratings in that.....everybody(whites) is so afraid of the race card they don't want to offend anybody, at least I call it like I see it and don't hide behind bullshit words and comments like biggot or racist.

Godfather.
    Says the racist and bigot. Maybe people don't hide behind things and they are just not racist such as yourself?

There are plenty of people here who I completely disagree with but don't think their views are racist.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Idris said:

Cause its tougher, u don't do it? Not even attempt?

I've seen it done before, it can be done. And this guy was not exactly quick paced, from the video it seems like a leg shot was possible.

Anyway, its just sad. It really is sad what our society is right now.

If you threaten a police officer with knife and walk towards him you deserve to die. Cops should not need to put their safety at risk at all to save a deranged suicidal person. I find it sad that this is not universally accepted.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,781
    edited August 2014
    I searched but didn't see this posted...mouse-over map at end of article. I'd like to see local law enforcement with more tasers and things to subdue people without killing them.

What Military Gear Your Local Police Department Bought
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/upshot/data-on-transfer-of-military-gear-to-police-departments.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    callen said:

Idris said:

I've seen it done before, it can be done. And this guy was not exactly quick paced, from the video it seems like a leg shot was possible.

If you threaten a police officer with knife and walk towards him you deserve to die. Cops should not need to put their safety at risk at all to save a deranged suicidal person. I find it sad that this is not universally accepted.
    So if you are mentally ill or disabled or suicidal and not at all lucid or capable of making good decisions you deserve to die?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

So if you are mentally ill or disabled or suicidal and not at all lucid or capable of making good decisions you deserve to die?
    Life's a bitch and I don't expect police officers to risk their lives. Really simple. Think next time guys wielding a knife saying "kill me" you should offer your assistance in disarming him. Without harming or hurting his feelings.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

And don't blame the cop for guy being killed, blame his support system/society, cops are just left to clean up our mess. Scapegoats.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    wow
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

Life's a bitch and I don't expect police officers to risk their lives. Really simple. Think next time guys wielding a knife saying "kill me" you should offer your assistance in disarming him. Without harming or hurting his feelings.
    How are they risking their lives by tasing or pepper spraying the guy from a distance rather than shooting him dead?
    Life's a bitch? Really?
    So you would tell the mother of a mentally ill or disabled person "life's a bitch" after the cops shot her kid who didn't even fully understand what he was doing and the cops killed him when they could just as well have tased him?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    norm said:

wow

Agree. Wow.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    i can't believe people are now advocating public executions
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166

Godfather.
    yes extreme ignorance tends to strike a nerve...

In my example the black guy kills a white cop and is apprehended and is awaiting trial......why would whites riot when justice appears to be prevailing?

The looting is wrong....but comparing that to my example doesn't fly because the injured party is getting relief from the system.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

How are they risking their lives by tasing or pepper spraying the guy from a distance rather than shooting him dead?
    Life's a bitch? Really?
    So you would tell the mother of a mentally ill or disabled person "life's a bitch" after the cops shot her kid who didn't even fully understand what he was doing and the cops killed him when they could just as well have tased him?
    Tasing doesn't always work. If it did. 100% of time and there was no risk to officer be great.
  • Options
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

Life's a bitch? Really?
    Tasing doesn't always work. If it did. 100% of time and there was no risk to officer be great.
    That makes no sense.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

Remember, being mentally ill in america seems to make you a scumbag. A mess that needs to be cleaned up.

• Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

Remember, being mentally ill in america seems to make you a scumbag. A mess that needs to be cleaned up.

Not sure if your directing this at me but I see plight of the mentally ill daily and it's appalling how American society does little to anything do agree 100% that it sucks. But to blame the police for wanting to go home to their wife and kids minimizing their risks is nuts. And it's nuts that we want to blame cops for our fucking up. Life sucks and it's too easy to blame cops.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm not sure why we've derailed to mental illness. From what I've heard and read, neither the cop or brown was mentally ill.
  • Options

I'm not sure why we've derailed to mental illness. From what I've heard and read, neither the cop or brown was mentally ill.

I think we were talking about the dude with the knife on that point. A guy yelling "shoot me!" or whatever he yelled just lead some of us to suggest that he was not mentally stable, which lead us to that topic. Not talking about Brown.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    If you have a weapon and do not comply with an officer’s orders, then yes. Tasing and pepper spray don't always work, I've seen people have both done and they keep going; usually it's someone on drugs or who is mentally ill.

And no, being mentally ill doesn’t make you a scumbag. Being mentally ill and threating an officer and not complying with orders to stop while holding a knife or gun will get you shot.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    callen said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

Not sure if your directing this at me but I see plight of the mentally ill daily and it's appalling how American society does little to anything do agree 100% that it sucks. But to blame the police for wanting to go home to their wife and kids minimizing their risks is nuts. And it's nuts that we want to blame cops for our fucking up. Life sucks and it's too easy to blame cops.
    Hmm. It doesn't seem all that easy to blame cops to me. But anyway, sometimes the cops do need to be blamed. Certainly not all of them, or most of them, or many of them at all. But there ARE bad cops out there doing bad things, and when that seems to be the case it's right to call them out.... surely you can admit that.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    callen said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

No it wasn't directed at you. I have seen others compare these black men, some obviously mentally ill, as scumbags. That is pretty sad.

Life does suck, but if the cops shot everyone who they come across who is mentally ill and threatening, there would be a lot more dead people on our streets. Most cops are doing it right. These latest cops seem to be doing it wrong.

This new shooting does look like suicide by cop. Guy looked disturbed but not threatening to anyone until the cops showed up. There had to be a better way than shooting him 17 seconds after arrival. I don't know the answer, but there had to be a better way.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    wall232 said:

Idris said:

Police are trained to shoot at the largest body mass and that is the torso. Try shooting at someone’s legs but miss and hit a bystander, what would the news stories be then? Also, I’m pretty sure warning shots aren’t something cops do.

I have to find the video of a NYC transit cop getting into a fight on the subway platform. The cop repeatedly tells the man to stand down but the man keeps walking towards him. The cop then pepper spays the man multiple times but it doesn’t stop him. The cop finds himself in a full on brawl, I believe the officer is able to get the situation under control as the video ends before the fight does but what happens if during the brawl the man gets ahold of the cops gun and kills him? Would people say the officer shouldn’t have used pepper spray and just shoot him? The officer is lucky that he was able to go home and see his family that night is all I’m saying.

Decisions need to be made quickly; you don’t have a pause button like in a video game to gather your thoughts. It’s always easy for us to sit here and make judgments on these situations, but for once try putting yourself in a situation that could go wrong quickly, are you really going to worry about some man who was obviously egging the cops on and yelling at them to kill him, or will you worry about your life and the life of your partner?
    All true.agreed
  • Options

Kind of fits with Brown as well. How much risk should cops take.