Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

Short video without a ton of context, but didn't seem like anyone was doing anything wrong to me. What did they do wrong?
    Cliffy, dude was outnumbered. People are shooting guns, throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at him what do you expect. He's on loosing side no matter what he does. I'd do the same. Vilifying cops is bad deal. Makes things worse. Bad cops need to go but I'm so thankful this dude didn't just quit being a cop.
    The video doesn't show anything or the sort
    I wasn't clear. All these things are happening to cops and this cop knows it could happen in split second and he wants to go home. We'd all be pissing In Our pants if we were in his shoes. And if all cops quit HA! Good luck to town. Think it's too easy to sit in safety and criticize. The guys on video were taunting him. They were the dicks.
    agreed !

Godfather.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999

so, st louis police department straight up murdered this guy yesterday. a witness got it all on camera. they could have tased them. there were 2 cops.

this video contains graphic violence and language. do not watch it if you do not want to see a man gunned down. this is how the cops work these days. they did not even try to calm him down. they just shot.

this is evidence, so it will probably be taken off of youtube soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-P54MZVxMU&bpctr=1408595773

Jesus.

I'm not entirely sure what I just watched, but I know I'm not watching it again.

Why was he waiting in that spot for them? Why did he approach them the way he did? It seemed erratic, right? Why did they shoot to kill when they could have obviously shot to wound or tazered him? Why THE FUCK did they cuff the dead body?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    edited August 2014
    So the police's tactics seem to be:
    1) Point guns at innocent people
    2) Threaten to kill or beat annoying people
    3) Shoot anyone who might be a threat

I can only imagine the shit the police officers take on a daily basis... but they knew that going into that profession. If you have become so affected by it that you quickly resort to threatening to shoot or beat people (or actually do it) just because they question you or don't move at the exact pace that they want you to move, maybe it's time for a new profession. Not many people are cut out for that job. there's not shame in it.

Just because you like guns, and pleasure yourself watching blockbuster police movies where the cops always win, it doesn't mean that you should be a cop. In fact, it probably means that you shouldn't be.
    Post edited by blackredyellow on
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

so, st louis police department straight up murdered this guy yesterday. a witness got it all on camera. they could have tased them. there were 2 cops.

this video contains graphic violence and language. do not watch it if you do not want to see a man gunned down. this is how the cops work these days. they did not even try to calm him down. they just shot.

Jesus.

I'm not entirely sure what I just watched, but I know I'm not watching it again.

Why was he waiting in that spot for them? Why did he approach them the way he did? It seemed erratic, right? Why did they shoot to kill when they could have obviously shot to wound or tazered him? Why THE FUCK did they cuff the dead body?

Disturbing for sure.

I was left a little disturbed as well. For the guy's part... it looked like he stole two pops, set them on the sidewalk, and waited for the police. Then, when the police came, he seemed very unwilling to cooperate and menacingly advanced towards the officer on the left.

For the cops' part... the cops both had their guns out immediately. The guy emptied his gun into him and killed him. I agree that tasering or pepper spraying him would have been preferable for my liking; however, if the taser or pepper spray is used as the first line of defence, they must be used while the assailant is distal to the cop- opening up yet another can of worms where cops now have to justify the use of these tools when people are going to be hypercritical and suggest the use of them was unnecessary Not to mention that tasers have become very controversial as well- with deadly results in some cases.

We can sit back and be critical as much as we want, but can we not acknowledge that these erratic and dangerous behaviours towards police on the job have much to do with people getting shot?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

So the police's tactics seem to be:
    1) Point guns at innocent people
    2) Threaten to kill or beat annoying people
    3) Shoot anyone who might be a threat

You win with points 1 and 2.

Point 3 is not a slam dunk. If people would respect the law and not be aggressive towards police officers in the line of duty, they likely would not find themselves shot. I'm sure there are children in some homes who do not want their dads being super patient with people who make aggressive advances towards their dads who are serving as police officers.

There are several stories of police people accosted, hurt, or killed by not taking necessary precautions to safeguard themselves against uncooperative and dangerous people. I poste done a few pages back of one cop getting shot with his own gun while questioning a scumbag in an interrogation room. Would you like 100 more posted to read?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999

JimmyV said:

Jesus.

Disturbing for sure.

I was left a little disturbed as well. For the guy's part... it looked like he stole two pops, set them on the sidewalk, and waited for the police. Then, when the police came, he seemed very unwilling to cooperate and menacingly advanced towards the officer on the left.

For the cops' part... the cops both had their guns out immediately. The guy emptied his gun into him and killed him. I agree that tasering or pepper spraying him would have been preferable for my liking; however, if the taser or pepper spray is used as the first line of defence, they must be used while the assailant is distal to the cop- opening up yet another can of worms where cops now have to justify the use of these tools when people are going to be hypercritical and suggest the use of them was unnecessary Not to mention that tasers have become very controversial as well- with deadly results in some cases.

We can sit back and be critical as much as we want, but can we not acknowledge that these erratic and dangerous behaviours towards police on the job have much to do with people getting shot?
    We can absolutely acknowledge your last point. This was not someone walking innocently down the street. This was someone deliberately instigating a confrontation with police in a place and time when tensions were already running high. When you instigate a confrontation you often quickly lose control of how fast and how far that confrontation escalates.

Before anybody jumps in and accuses me of blaming the victim, no, I'm not. The cops had other options and their behavior after the shooting is suspect. That does not mean the victim's behavior was not also strange before the shooting.

Tragic. And bizarre.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    this protest is/was violent and some of these dumb-ass's brought their children and insted of taking them home when tear gas was fired the parents covered their faces with a t-shirt so they could use their children as human shields...and that's what we're dealing with.

Godfather.
  • Options

this protest is/was violent and some of these dumb-ass's brought their children and insted of taking them home when tear gas was fired the parents covered their faces with a t-shirt so they could use their children as human shields...and that's what we're dealing with.

Godfather.

You can't judge people without being there. Most days, it was a calm atmosphere on the streets until late at night. Schools were closed, work was closed, you can't expect people to spend all day and all night cooped up in their homes. Some of those nights went sideways in seconds.... If you are walking around with your kids and your friends, and all of a sudden, hours before the curfew, police start blocking off streets (which could be your way to get home), and then without warning start firing tear gas, it's not like you have any options.

So, "taking them home when tear gas was fired" wan't really an option. There were countless accounts of people stranded because police wouldn't let them back to their cars or even on their own streets. People were getting tear gassed in their front lawns.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

Jesus.

Disturbing for sure.

We can absolutely acknowledge your last point. This was not someone walking innocently down the street. This was someone deliberately instigating a confrontation with police in a place and time when tensions were already running high. When you instigate a confrontation you often quickly lose control of how fast and how far that confrontation escalates.

Before anybody jumps in and accuses me of blaming the victim, no, I'm not. The cops had other options and their behavior after the shooting is suspect. That does not mean the victim's behavior was not also strange before the shooting.

Tragic. And bizarre.

I guess what was so bizarre to me was the instant escalation that the police caused. We don't know exactly what was said on the radio if they knew what they were walking into, so I get that they could have some fear. But 2 seconds of watching the guy wandering around talking to himself would tell you that there are probably some mental issues going on. Immediately getting out of the car, guns drawn and screaming at the guy isn't going to help anyone.

I'm not sure if it's an attitude problem with police officers, or just poor training, but it seems like in recent years, they have developed a "shoot first" mentality when dealing with black people.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    edited August 2014

7/18- Jimmie Norman, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/18- Terry Taylor, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/17- Cindy Raygoza, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/11- Luis Aguilar, 91 year old hispanic male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/10- Brittany Simpson, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Sarah Goode, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Jeffrey Westerfield, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/5- Perry Renn, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/3- Laurey Kennedy, white female still in coma from beating by black male. No national news
    7/3 Eric Mollet, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Rupert Anderson, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Jennifer Kingeter, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/30 Jim Brennan, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/29 Paul Shephard, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Shirley Barone, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Penelope Spencer, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Inga Evans, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/26 Jake Rameau, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/25 Gina Burger, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/24 Nathan Dasher, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/22 Jonathan Price, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/20 John Whitmore, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/18 John Yingling,white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/17 Allyn Reeves, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/15 Michael Beaver, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Angela Cook, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Nathan Hall, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/7 Harry Briggs, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/5 Laura Bachman, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/2 Robert Mohler, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/1 William Headley, white male, murdered by black male. No national news

I know several others have pointed out how ignorant this post is but I did want to point out that while the black man that killed Perry Renn on 07/05/14 might not have made national news (how do you even know??) I will say that the killer is in custody and will most likely face the death penalty in Indiana.

That's one difference between your "list" and Michael Brown's situation.

Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

Jesus.

Disturbing for sure.

Tragic. And bizarre.

I guess what was so bizarre to me was the instant escalation that the police caused. We don't know exactly what was said on the radio if they knew what they were walking into, so I get that they could have some fear. But 2 seconds of watching the guy wandering around talking to himself would tell you that there are probably some mental issues going on. Immediately getting out of the car, guns drawn and screaming at the guy isn't going to help anyone.

I'm not sure if it's an attitude problem with police officers, or just poor training, but it seems like in recent years, they have developed a "shoot first" mentality when dealing with black people.
    agreed...I'll admit that when I first saw the news about this the other day I thought "dude had knife drawn and challenged cops...bad idea". After watching the video I can't believe that they wouldn't have tased or sprayed him. Two cops had guns drawn...why can't one cop try to reason with him or at least find out what the issue is. I realize that his statement was "shoot me motherfucker" or something similar but come on this is crazy.

I guess you could argue that it was suicide by cop. It's not liked he stabbed someone and waited for the police....he stole a muffin and two cans of pop.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    According to law enforcement when a perp breaches a 21' distance and is closing with a weapon it is advised to use deadly force.If you watch other footage you will see the cop took a step back giving the looney a extra bit of space.He repeatedly did not listen to requests to disarm and get back.He had a deadly weapon.This shooting although horrific to watch.Is not only justified but done by the book.
    Lesser forms of deterrent like a taser are not always reliable and could in fact miss on the perps charge toward the officer.In the seconds he has to make a decision you have to cover your ass.These guys don't know the background of the guy,they just know he's talking shit,has a weapon and won't back down.
    Lets put the blame where it belongs on the fucking whack job with a knife.
  • Options

JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

Jesus.

Disturbing for sure.

Tragic. And bizarre.

What the cops shoulda done and said upon arrival right?
    Oh hey guy with knife,we hate to bother you on your crazy mumbling knife wielding peaceful walk,but could you please put down your weapon? Pretty pleaseeee? Oh shucks maybe we should ask again and lets call in a shrink also.Oh he's coming at us,damn this guy needs a hug,he probably wasn't loved enough as a kid.Maybe we should wrestle the knife away from him and risk being killed ourselves and not get to go home to see our own families.

They asked,he Didnt listen this is what happens
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    So I see no one is bringing up the point that the police lied about how the situation went down.

"St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said Tuesday that both of the officers opened fire on Powell when he came within a three or four feet of them holding a knife "in an overhand grip."

Is that what we saw on the recording?

So can we at least maybe entertain the possibility that the cops version of events in the Michael Brown case could be a lie also?

To me this is more proof that we can't trust what these people have to say. When one of their own is under investigation they have a history of not telling the truth. Their story always changes when a video is released showing something different. It's a sad pattern.

Is it a wonder why people are protesting in the streets? They don't trust the people they pay to protect them.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/08/18/ferguson-pd-busted/

I haven't been able to keep up with this thread but did anyone catch this video above^^^^^"Ferguson Police Busted--Attempt To Defame Shooting Victim, Blows Up In Their Face (Video)"

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    rr165892 said:

According to law enforcement when a perp breaches a 21' distance and is closing with a weapon it is advised to use deadly force.If you watch other footage you will see the cop took a step back giving the looney a extra bit of space.He repeatedly did not listen to requests to disarm and get back.He had a deadly weapon.This shooting although horrific to watch.Is not only justified but done by the book.
    Lesser forms of deterrent like a taser are not always reliable and could in fact miss on the perps charge toward the officer.In the seconds he has to make a decision you have to cover your ass.These guys don't know the background of the guy,they just know he's talking shit,has a weapon and won't back down.
    Lets put the blame where it belongs on the fucking whack job with a knife.

repeatedly? They shot him within several seconds of opening their doors

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,301
    maybe the police should just up and leave Ferguson and let the scumbags run amok and destroy the whole area. wouldn't take long for people to start begging for the police to be back even with their angry attitudes. frankly i have very little sympathy for Brown and zero for the knife wielding nut job who was shot by police.

and isn't is great when people say you can't comment because you don't walk in the shoes of black men or the people in that area...but they never use the same argument about walking in the policeman's shoes. laughable to see and hear people say the cops should shoot to wound and not kill.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

maybe the police should just up and leave Ferguson and let the scumbags run amok and destroy the whole area. wouldn't take long for people to start begging for the police to be back even with their angry attitudes. frankly i have very little sympathy for Brown and zero for the knife wielding nut job who was shot by police.

and isn't is great when people say you can't comment because you don't walk in the shoes of black men or the people in that area...but they never use the same argument about walking in the policeman's shoes. laughable to see and hear people say the cops should shoot to wound and not kill.

I think our comments were definitely about walking in the policeman's shoes. We're questioning why they didn't try to help the guy ("protect and serve") rather than pump bullets into him.

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    And whatever happened to firing 'warning shots' (or is that just in the movies?) or shooting a person's leg(s).
  • Options
    Idris said:

And whatever happened to firing 'warning shots' (or is that just in the movies?) or shooting a person's leg(s).

well you don't know if the guy has a gun so if you just fire a warning shot or hit his leg you could end up dead if he does have one.

and i suspect if warning shots were fired the neighbors would complain about firing shots needlessly.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Idris said:

well you don't know if the guy has a gun so if you just fire a warning shot or hit his leg you could end up dead if he does have one.

and i suspect if warning shots were fired the neighbors would complain about firing shots needlessly.
    That logic makes zero sense... By that standard, they could shoot anyone who resists arrest, because they "might" have a gun and could end up dead.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Idris said:

Have u seen someone get shot in the legs? I assure you, it buys the shooter ample time (generally) to take control.

you gotta be on top of the 'moment', shoot the legs, but keep gun on him.

As far as the warning shots go, I think its better than having an entire community angry cause you just emptied a clip? On a guy who was apparently unarmed and stole a pop and a honeybun?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    in the video norm & gimmie both put up if you look closely the shot man is on the ground moving his arm around. he was dying & then died. when the cops cuffed him he was not dead. as ruthless as it is, the cops didn't cuff a dead body.

& what a terrible way to go... shot up fulla holes & then cuffed up. damn

he robbed the store of two sodas. the man you see standing around between the camera man & the dude shot is the shopkeeper. i don't know who phoned the law. the guy videoing the scene was told to come down & check this shit out by his friend to record the scene. the shopkeeper is the only one left standing inside the cop's crime scene tape

seems like a suicide mission. maybe he got exactly what he wanted. go at cops. was the knife in his hand? i also do not understand why the cops put up such a wide berth? planting bullshit evidence?
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Idris said:

Or you hit an innocent bystander,ricochet,etc
  • Options
    Idris said:

pjhawks said:

Idris said:

Have u seen someone get shot in the legs? I assure you, it buys the shooter ample time (generally) to take control.

you gotta be on top of the 'moment', shoot the legs, but keep gun on him.

As far as the warning shots go, I think its better than having an entire community angry cause you just emptied a clip? On a guy who was apparently unarmed and stole a pop and a honeybun?
    Moving leg is a tougher target then a Torso shot.
  • Options
    Cause its tougher, u don't do it? Not even attempt?

I've seen it done before, it can be done. And this guy was not exactly quick paced, from the video it seems like a leg shot was possible.

Anyway, its just sad. It really is sad what our society is right now.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

pjhawks said:

Idris said:

Or you hit an innocent bystander,ricochet,etc
    You following the story of the cop in downtown Orlando killing a 20 year old with a stray bullet?

Has that been posted on the boards yet?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,183

Godfather.

You can't judge people without being there.
    Interesting as it seems that is what a lot
    Of people are doing on both sides. If you had to be there to judge all of this then there are only a few people who should be saying anything?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

pjhawks said:

Idris said:

That logic makes zero sense... By that standard, they could shoot anyone who resists arrest, because they "might" have a gun and could end up dead.
    as they said you don't have a constitutional right to resist arrest...so uhh maybe yes