Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited August 2014

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

Short video without a ton of context, but didn't seem like anyone was doing anything wrong to me. What did they do wrong?
    Cliffy, dude was outnumbered. People are shooting guns, throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at him what do you expect. He's on loosing side no matter what he does. I'd do the same. Vilifying cops is bad deal. Makes things worse. Bad cops need to go but I'm so thankful this dude didn't just quit being a cop.
    The video doesn't show anything or the sort
    I wasn't clear. All these things are happening to cops and this cop knows it could happen in split second and he wants to go home. We'd all be pissing In Our pants if we were in his shoes. And if all cops quit HA! Good luck to town. Think it's too easy to sit in safety and criticize. The guys on video were taunting him. They were the dicks.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

Short video without a ton of context, but didn't seem like anyone was doing anything wrong to me. What did they do wrong?
    Cliffy, dude was outnumbered. People are shooting guns, throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at him what do you expect. He's on loosing side no matter what he does. I'd do the same. Vilifying cops is bad deal. Makes things worse. Bad cops need to go but I'm so thankful this dude didn't just quit being a cop.
    I wasn't clear. All these things are happening to cops and this cop knows it could happen in split second and he wants to go home. We'd all be pissing In Our pants if we were in his shoes. And if all cops quit HA! Good luck to town. Think it's too easy to sit in safety and criticize. The guys on video were taunting him. They were the dicks.
    And the people in the video who seem to be exercising the 1st amendment right peacefully should have a high powered gun pointed in the face and told by a cop that "I will fucking kill you". You do realize this America and not North Korea, right?

They were dicks when the cop said go fuck yourself. There is very clearly one instigator in that video.

We all think the looters and violent protesters are jackasses who should be arrested. Why is it so hard to admit that that cop is also acting like a piece of shit?
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

And the people in the video who seem to be exercising the 1st amendment right peacefully should have a high powered gun pointed in the face and told by a cop that "I will fucking kill you". You do realize this America and not North Korea, right?

They were dicks when the cop said go fuck yourself. There is very clearly one instigator in that video.

We all think the looters and violent protesters are jackasses who should be arrested. Why is it so hard to admit that that cop is also acting like a piece of shit?
    The cop was acting like a piece of shit. The goofballs filming were acting like a pieces of shit as well.

I don't understand... for the life of me... why idiots feel the need to challenge authority- especially when authority has an assault rifle in their hands and are clearly agitated. Obviously, they don't truly value their lives as much as I value mine.

If a dick cop is being a piece of shit in an agitated state... I'm not going to poke him to see what happens. Why do that? What good can come from that?

Idiots. Complete... 100%... grade A... idiots that likely thought they were being cool.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

The cop was acting like a piece of shit. The goofballs filming were acting like a pieces of shit as well.

I don't understand... for the life of me... why idiots feel the need to challenge authority- especially when authority has an assault rifle in their hands and are clearly agitated. Obviously, they don't truly value their lives as much as I value mine.

If a dick cop is being a piece of shit in an agitated state... I'm not going to poke him to see what happens. Why do that? What good can come from that?

Idiots. Complete... 100%... grade A... idiots that likely thought they were being cool.
    Cop knows he's a marked target. I don't think he was being a dick. Self preservation.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

dignin said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Yay, I see the racist is out in force since I last checked in.

Why is this Rascist?I can't speak for others,but I hate criminals of all colors.And in THIS case I think the kid was a thug not an angel and his actions led to his demise.No color needed

Travon was way more innocent then this clown was.
    Not you.

Although while you say this specific cop doesn't have a history of race issues, it does sound like the entire police force does, in general.

Maybe you should also give the investigators a call since you know so much about how it went down.
    These areas are powder kegs of emotion.IMO its more about economics and the frustration of being trapped within this enviorment.Race just plays as an easy way to vent this built up angst as a scapegoat for the real issues .
    How the hell do you know all this?
    Agree with most of what RR wrote. Think it's pretty universally accepted.
    A lot of it is, until you get to this part:
    "Are freedoms and rights being suppressed ? no.Are random people being singled out based on color? No"

Truth is, we don't know that the answers are "no". If you can't walk down the street without getting followed and questioned, or you get beaten by an over zealous cop, I would imagine that you would feel like your rights are being suppressed. And the arrest stats seem to show that black people are being singled out.

I'm not sure of the legal definition of discrimination, maybe these citizens aren't being denied jobs or education or housing based on their skin color, but if you feel like you are being harrassed and not given a fair shake, because you are a certain color, that has to be some sort of discrimination, right?

Sort of like sexual harassment.., it's basically harassment if the victim feels harassed. It's obvious that these people feel harassed based on their skin color.
    Yeah had issues with those lines as well. But in end if all were part of the bounty would be better.
    Blackredyellow,
    Lets not forget he was hassled because he was walking down the middle of the fucking road,being a belligerent cocky asshole to the cop while holding a handful of stolen goods which he just strong armed robbed from a hard working fellow member of his community.So random targeting based on color holds zero weight here.Stick with facts
    Exactly stick with the facts. None of what you wrote here are facts. They maybe true but we don't know that yet.

Kid on film robbing store=fact
    Walking in road witnessed by everyone=fact
    Mouthing off to cop witnessed by many=fact
    Had cigars on him=fact
    Only thing that is conjecture is he wasn't singled out.
    Are these the same dozens of witnesses you referenced hearing about on CNN? I've heard other witnesses say different, but I'm not claiming that what they have said is fact.

As far as the robbery goes, we still don't know the facts surrounding that. Only what the police have stated, which as has been shown before, they are not above reproach. I have not yet heard audio to that video, but maybe there is no audio.

My point is I am not going to believe what the cops have said yet. Until they provide some proof.

Herein lies the problem: you have this backwards. The cops do not have the burden of proving Wilson acted appropriately- unless he is charged and to his defence. The current investigation will try to determine whether excessive force was used and in the event this is established... it is up to the people to demonstrate such by proving it.

This forum consistently demands that people enjoy the rights afforded to them by law. Hell, half the damn community insisted we treat the Boston bombers with dignity and fairness- citing they were innocent until proven guilty. Yet... here... a cop kills a 'gentle giant' in a close quarter confrontation and some of the same people are demanding the cop's head on a platter before due process.

And, without video evidence... it might come down to word vs. word. If this is the case, who are you inclined to believe?
    I have no problem with what you are saying here. I have a problem with people claiming things as fact when they have not been proven as such yet.

I think the cop should have his due process. I may think the process is probably rigged in his favour given that the police generally investigate each other in these matters, friends investigating friends, but that is an issue for another thread.

I can only assume that they will take into account all the eye witnesses at the scene and see if they match the forensic evidence, this includes the officer in question. I do not take a cops statement with any more validity than a witnesses statement, especially when the cop is involved in said incident.

I agree that an outside agency should be the ones to investigate this incident.

I agree that the statement by the involved officer is subject to question.

I disagree with the broad based assertion that a police officer's statement is on par with that of any average joe on the street. While there certainly have been examples of deceit in police testimony (as there have been in any profession), I give them more credit and respect than that.
    ok monsignor evasion tactic.. now you can answer or ignore, i dont care.
    does having a police badge automatic make a person more credible than you or i??
    what does joe offthe street have at stake? his job? or does the cop have greater incwntive to lie?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

Fuck Rosey colored 1st amendment rights bullshit. It's a war zone and cops are targets. Put yourself in his spot. Being all nice and reasonable is gone and if a cop tries to be nice he may not go home to his wife. And for what. Ungrateful POS's.
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

Fuck Rosey colored 1st amendment rights bullshit. It's a war zone and cops are targets. Put yourself in his spot. Being all nice and reasonable is gone and if a cop tries to be nice he may not go home to his wife. And for what. Ungrateful POS's.
    Yeah, aisde from the fact that is in fact not actually a war zone

Hey if you want America to be a police state, more power to you.
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

Cop knows he's a marked target. I don't think he was being a dick. Self preservation.
    Remind me again, how many police have been killed or injured?
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

Well, in all fairness while it isn't really the time to be a funny guy, technically the guy stated his name was gofuckyourself
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

It is a war zone. Wish there to be no police but American society requires them.

I have your same thoughts most of the time and have been on receiving end of physically abusive cop but know how fucked up it is to be a cop in Ferguson and glad they don't all just say fuck it and let chaos ensue.
  • Options
    That cop has been relieved of his duties indefinitely
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i am curious about the 2014 homicide & other crimes rate in st. louis... here are some homicide facts on st. louis so far in 2014

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stl-info/st-louis-crime-reports-for/html_9ffe4219-05aa-526d-92a1-3661d6b66842.html

"St. Louis police reported about more than 4,200 crimes to the FBI in June."

damn!!

"Total homicides continue to run ahead of last year. Through June, homicides totaled 58, compared with 49 at this time last year."

& damn

sure it isn't about mike brown but it sure is a frickin war zone down there.

a ethipoian immigrant storekeeping minding his own business was shot in the head & chest as he was working. dude was saving & sending money to bring his wife & children to st. louis to escape the turmoil of ethiopia. begging for help from customers inside the store, the gunman shot him again

sure it isn't about mike brown but it sure is a frickin war zone down there.

that is all

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

Political and yeah he probably went bit to far but just can't wrap my head around the stress.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    callen said:

Political and yeah he probably went bit to far but just can't wrap my head around the stress.
    and the citizens of ferguson, who are having military weapons pointed aggressively at them, are not under stress?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Yay, I see the racist is out in force since I last checked in.

Why is this Rascist?I can't speak for others,but I hate criminals of all colors.And in THIS case I think the kid was a thug not an angel and his actions led to his demise.No color needed

Travon was way more innocent then this clown was.
    Not you.

Although while you say this specific cop doesn't have a history of race issues, it does sound like the entire police force does, in general.

Maybe you should also give the investigators a call since you know so much about how it went down.
    These areas are powder kegs of emotion.IMO its more about economics and the frustration of being trapped within this enviorment.Race just plays as an easy way to vent this built up angst as a scapegoat for the real issues .
    How the hell do you know all this?
    Agree with most of what RR wrote. Think it's pretty universally accepted.
    A lot of it is, until you get to this part:
    "Are freedoms and rights being suppressed ? no.Are random people being singled out based on color? No"

Truth is, we don't know that the answers are "no". If you can't walk down the street without getting followed and questioned, or you get beaten by an over zealous cop, I would imagine that you would feel like your rights are being suppressed. And the arrest stats seem to show that black people are being singled out.

I'm not sure of the legal definition of discrimination, maybe these citizens aren't being denied jobs or education or housing based on their skin color, but if you feel like you are being harrassed and not given a fair shake, because you are a certain color, that has to be some sort of discrimination, right?

Sort of like sexual harassment.., it's basically harassment if the victim feels harassed. It's obvious that these people feel harassed based on their skin color.
    Yeah had issues with those lines as well. But in end if all were part of the bounty would be better.
    Blackredyellow,
    Lets not forget he was hassled because he was walking down the middle of the fucking road,being a belligerent cocky asshole to the cop while holding a handful of stolen goods which he just strong armed robbed from a hard working fellow member of his community.So random targeting based on color holds zero weight here.Stick with facts
    Exactly stick with the facts. None of what you wrote here are facts. They maybe true but we don't know that yet.

Kid on film robbing store=fact
    Walking in road witnessed by everyone=fact
    Mouthing off to cop witnessed by many=fact
    Had cigars on him=fact
    Only thing that is conjecture is he wasn't singled out.
    Are these the same dozens of witnesses you referenced hearing about on CNN? I've heard other witnesses say different, but I'm not claiming that what they have said is fact.

As far as the robbery goes, we still don't know the facts surrounding that. Only what the police have stated, which as has been shown before, they are not above reproach. I have not yet heard audio to that video, but maybe there is no audio.

My point is I am not going to believe what the cops have said yet. Until they provide some proof.

Herein lies the problem: you have this backwards. The cops do not have the burden of proving Wilson acted appropriately- unless he is charged and to his defence. The current investigation will try to determine whether excessive force was used and in the event this is established... it is up to the people to demonstrate such by proving it.

This forum consistently demands that people enjoy the rights afforded to them by law. Hell, half the damn community insisted we treat the Boston bombers with dignity and fairness- citing they were innocent until proven guilty. Yet... here... a cop kills a 'gentle giant' in a close quarter confrontation and some of the same people are demanding the cop's head on a platter before due process.

And, without video evidence... it might come down to word vs. word. If this is the case, who are you inclined to believe?
    I have no problem with what you are saying here. I have a problem with people claiming things as fact when they have not been proven as such yet.

I think the cop should have his due process. I may think the process is probably rigged in his favour given that the police generally investigate each other in these matters, friends investigating friends, but that is an issue for another thread.

I can only assume that they will take into account all the eye witnesses at the scene and see if they match the forensic evidence, this includes the officer in question. I do not take a cops statement with any more validity than a witnesses statement, especially when the cop is involved in said incident.

I agree that an outside agency should be the ones to investigate this incident.

I agree that the statement by the involved officer is subject to question.

I disagree with the broad based assertion that a police officer's statement is on par with that of any average joe on the street. While there certainly have been examples of deceit in police testimony (as there have been in any profession), I give them more credit and respect than that.
    ok monsignor evasion tactic.. now you can answer or ignore, i dont care.
    does having a police badge automatic make a person more credible than you or i??
    what does joe offthe street have at stake? his job? or does the cop have greater incwntive to lie?
    I never evaded your question.

I asked you to fix the integrity of the quotes you fucked up and then I would answer the question (it's not a super challenging one... I have an answer).
  • Options
    would it be accurate in stating a large percentage of black folks in st. louis or anywhere for that matter do not have any interest in being policemen? how many asians are cops anywhere in the us? it doesn't have to be a racist thing either. its just the way it is

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

does not mean guilt & this puts things closer to being at rest in ferguson. he will get his nice little fund $$$ package & he will move to arizona or hawaii or am i wrong here?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,760
    callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

mob scene nothing more

It is a war zone. Wish there to be no police but American society requires them.

I have your same thoughts most of the time and have been on receiving end of physically abusive cop but know how fucked up it is to be a cop in Ferguson and glad they don't all just say fuck it and let chaos ensue.
    What bullshit. There is a pretty big gap between war zone and having no police. Wtf.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    norm said:

callen said:

and the citizens of ferguson, who are having military weapons pointed aggressively at them, are not under stress?
    I have no idea why it is so hard to comprehend that people want answers about an una
    callen said:

Yeah either political or for telling seemingly nonviolent protesters that he is "going to fucking kill you"

How can you not see that is wrong?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
  • Options
    norm said:
    Holy shit. That is incredibly disturbing. There has to be a better way to take that guy down.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    norm said:
    And people wonder why we have trouble believing the police's version of events.

• Options
    damn! i can't even think clearly after watching that. i guess they fucking for real serious down in st. louis. come at the cops shoutin, be ready to be taken out. i don't know about this. we are in a miserable state of affairs

these cops don't use tasers or mace/pepper spray at all i guess. hell use bear spray. something aint right in the water down yonder

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Which one? The cop that shot Brown or the one that shot the guy with the knife?
  • Options
    norm said:
    Is it open season on black folks... or is it open season on guys advancing towards police with a knife? Are you sure they wouldn't have responded the same way if it was a white guy?

This is inflammatory. You are rioting in St. Louis via the internet.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

norm said:
    Is it open season on black folks... or is it open season on guys advancing towards police with a knife? Are you sure they wouldn't have responded the same way if it was a white guy?

This is inflammatory. You are rioting in St. Louis via the internet.
    I agree with you thirty. What was he supposed to do? Pepper spray him and hope he doesn't pull out a gun? What the fuck do you expect the police to do in that situation where tensions are already sky high??
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,284

I'm not saying he didn't get injured but there are videos of the aftermath and he doesn't appear to be nursing wounds or having anyone look at his wounds.

It says he has a fractured orbital bone. Exactly how many broken bones in a person's skull is required before a cop can assess his assailant as a threat to his life?

Let alone the grab for his weapon.
    i work in sports medicine and have seen several blow out fractures of the orbital fossa in my career. they are pretty much impossible to miss. all it is is a fracture of the floor of the eye socket, but with blowouts, the fragments pinch on one of the muscles that move the eye. the first obvious sign of blowout fracture is that the person will not be able to move the involved eye up towards the ceiling. the uninjured eye will move towards the ceiling when you try to look up. the one that is fractured will not look up. if this officer did not have trouble looking up, then it is nearly certain that he had no blowout fracture.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

JC29856 said:

classic... cops without badges threatening to kill named officer gofukurself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFia3Uo0TQ#t=40

Good god

"I'll fucking kill you"

And people wonder why people feel this cop needs to explain himself. Why in the hell is he walking around waving his gun like that?
    i know who this guy is. i live 2 blocks away from st ann police station and have 2 good friends who are st ann cops. this guy has the reputation of being an asshole, or a "supercop". he has had a few reprimands, both verbal and written in his 20 years of being in law enforcement. i have seen him at the local bar several times. i was advised by my 2 friends that he has a short fuse and that he is a dick so i have never talked to him. i do see him out in public often though.

maybe the saying that "the bully is always the most scared of the group" applies here.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    so, st louis police department straight up murdered this guy yesterday. a witness got it all on camera. they could have tased them. there were 2 cops.

this video contains graphic violence and language. do not watch it if you do not want to see a man gunned down. this is how the cops work these days. they did not even try to calm him down. they just shot.

this is evidence, so it will probably be taken off of youtube soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-P54MZVxMU&bpctr=1408595773

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Holy shit. I couldn't really watch beyond the shooting.

Do you know the context? Like why it was being filmed to begin with?

Hope you're doing alright, being fairly close to all this.