Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,302
    callen said:

Idris said:

Cause its tougher, u don't do it? Not even attempt?

I've seen it done before, it can be done. And this guy was not exactly quick paced, from the video it seems like a leg shot was possible.

Anyway, its just sad. It really is sad what our society is right now.

If you threaten a police officer with knife and walk towards him you deserve to die. Cops should not need to put their safety at risk at all to save a deranged suicidal person. I find it sad that this is not universally accepted.
    agree. we live in the real world i guess and not some utopia where everything is peace and love as some people on here seem to think can and or will exist.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    So is it confirmed that he had a knife?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

I've seen it done before, it can be done. And this guy was not exactly quick paced, from the video it seems like a leg shot was possible.

If you threaten a police officer with knife and walk towards him you deserve to die. Cops should not need to put their safety at risk at all to save a deranged suicidal person. I find it sad that this is not universally accepted.
    So if you are mentally ill or disabled or suicidal and not at all lucid or capable of making good decisions you deserve to die?
    Life's a bitch and I don't expect police officers to risk their lives. Really simple. Think next time guys wielding a knife saying "kill me" you should offer your assistance in disarming him. Without harming or hurting his feelings.
    How are they risking their lives by tasing or pepper spraying the guy from a distance rather than shooting him dead?
    Life's a bitch? Really?
    So you would tell the mother of a mentally ill or disabled person "life's a bitch" after the cops shot her kid who didn't even fully understand what he was doing and the cops killed him when they could just as well have tased him?
    PJ,how about telling a young lady she is now a widow and her children are fatherless because their dad/husband tried being nice to someone who was coming at him with a deadly weapon.Decisions have to be made in seconds,training kicks in.Not a perfect world.If the guy is challenged,where is his care?If he is so fucked up,who's looking out for him?Too many what ifs.What if he runs and takes a innocent kid hostage,he does have a knife?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    edited August 2014
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/us/shooting-accounts-differ-as-holder-schedules-visit.html?ref=us&_r=1
    “It was something strange,” said Mr. Brady, 32, a janitor. “Something was not right. It was some kind of altercation. I can’t say whether he was punching the officer or whatever. But something was going on in that window, and it didn’t look right.”

Mr. Brady said he had been interviewed by county investigators, but not the F.B.I.

Mr. Brady said he could see Mr. Johnson at the front passenger side of the car when he and Mr. Brown suddenly started running. Mr. Brady did not hear a gunshot or know what caused them to run. But he said he did see a police officer get out of the patrol car and start walking briskly while firing on Mr. Brown as he fled.

What happened next could be what the case turns on. Several witnesses have told investigators that Mr. Brown stopped and turned around with his arms up.

James McKnight, who also said he saw the shooting, said that Mr. Brown’s hands were up right after he turned around to face the officer.

“I saw him stumble toward the officer, but not rush at him,” Mr. McKnight said in a brief interview. “The officer was about six or seven feet away from him.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    pjhawks said:

callen said:

Idris said:

agree. we live in the real world i guess and not some utopia where everything is peace and love as some people on here seem to think can and or will exist.
    Maybe the real world in America, but not the world.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Double tap sorry
  • Options
    callen said:

Idris said:

Here,here!!!
  • Options
    Idris said:

rr165892 said:

pjhawks said:

Idris said:

And whatever happened to firing 'warning shots' (or is that just in the movies?) or shooting a person's leg(s).

well you don't know if the guy has a gun so if you just fire a warning shot or hit his leg you could end up dead if he does have one.

and i suspect if warning shots were fired the neighbors would complain about firing shots needlessly.
    Or you hit an innocent bystander,ricochet,etc
    You following the story of the cop in downtown Orlando killing a 20 year old with a stray bullet?

Has that been posted on the boards yet?
    No,ill check it out later on line.Thx
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Yes it suck
    dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

So if you are mentally ill or disabled or suicidal and not at all lucid or capable of making good decisions you deserve to die?
    Remember, being mentally ill in america seems to make you a scumbag. A mess that needs to be cleaned up.

Not sure if your directing this at me but I see plight of the mentally ill daily and it's appalling how American society does little to anything do agree 100% that it sucks. But to blame the police for wanting to go home to their wife and kids minimizing their risks is nuts. And it's nuts that we want to blame cops for our fucking up. Life sucks and it's too easy to blame cops.

No it wasn't directed at you. I have seen others compare these black men, some obviously mentally ill, as scumbags. That is pretty sad.

Life does suck, but if the cops shot everyone who they come across who is mentally ill and threatening, there would be a lot more dead people on our streets. Most cops are doing it right. These latest cops seem to be doing it wrong.

This new shooting does look like suicide by cop. Guy looked disturbed but not threatening to anyone until the cops showed up. There had to be a better way than shooting him 17 seconds after arrival. I don't know the answer, but there had to be a better way.
    Yes it sucks all the way around. Maybe this incident will save others. Will be going home and cranking one of my favorite PJ songs WMA.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    edited August 2014
    Gary Cherone sung it best...

Picture the world,
    Without any color
    You couldn't tell,
    One face from the other
    I don't understand
    Why we fight with our brother
    Color me blind
    Just to love one another

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

Remember, being mentally ill in america seems to make you a scumbag. A mess that needs to be cleaned up.

Not sure if your directing this at me but I see plight of the mentally ill daily and it's appalling how American society does little to anything do agree 100% that it sucks. But to blame the police for wanting to go home to their wife and kids minimizing their risks is nuts. And it's nuts that we want to blame cops for our fucking up. Life sucks and it's too easy to blame cops.

No it wasn't directed at you. I have seen others compare these black men, some obviously mentally ill, as scumbags. That is pretty sad.

Life does suck, but if the cops shot everyone who they come across who is mentally ill and threatening, there would be a lot more dead people on our streets. Most cops are doing it right. These latest cops seem to be doing it wrong.

This new shooting does look like suicide by cop. Guy looked disturbed but not threatening to anyone until the cops showed up. There had to be a better way than shooting him 17 seconds after arrival. I don't know the answer, but there had to be a better way.
    How in the world can you make the judgement that he wasn't a threat? To those cols arriving on scene, be most certainly was a threat. He was charging at two armed cops with a knife and refused to put it down.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

Idris said:

rr165892 said:

pjhawks said:

Idris said:

And whatever happened to firing 'warning shots' (or is that just in the movies?) or shooting a person's leg(s).

well you don't know if the guy has a gun so if you just fire a warning shot or hit his leg you could end up dead if he does have one.

and i suspect if warning shots were fired the neighbors would complain about firing shots needlessly.
    Or you hit an innocent bystander,ricochet,etc
    You following the story of the cop in downtown Orlando killing a 20 year old with a stray bullet?

Has that been posted on the boards yet?
    No,ill check it out later on line.Thx
    mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/8/20/orlando_officer_shoo.html

ORLANDO --
    The Orlando police officer who shot and killed a woman during a late-night confrontation with an armed man early Tuesday morning in downtown Orlando fired his agency-issued weapon nine times, according to a report released Wednesday.

Officer Eduardo Sanguino struck the suspect, later identified as 23-year-old Kody Roach, several times, the report states. Roach survived the shooting.

Maria Castillo, 22, was struck by a stray bullet fired from Sanguino's gun, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said Tuesday in a press conference. Police originally said Maria's last name was Godinez, but friends say she actually went by the last name Castillo.
    Castillo later died at Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Witnesses at the time of the shooting said it wasn't likely that Roach fired his weapon. However, further investigation revealed Roach's .40-caliber handgun wasn't loaded and had no ammunition in the magazine or in the chamber, according to the report released Wednesday.

Police said the gun Roach had was stolen out of Orange County and was fully operational.

The shooting happened around 12:45 a.m. Tuesday outside Vixen Bar, 118 S. Orange Ave., when officers responded to a man with a gun.

Witnesses said the suspect, Kody Roach, was a regular at the bar. A man said Roach tried to walk inside the bar with his firearm.

911 calls began to come into dispatchers of a man with a gun outside the nightclub in downtown Orlando.

"He's, like, banging on the door with a gun!" said one caller.

A few minutes later, another caller who identified himself as a Vixen employee said Roach had been giving them trouble earlier.

"There's a guy we kicked out of our bar because he's too drunk and now he's started waiving his handgun around," the caller said.
    Police said there was then a confrontation between the suspect and officers after they arrived and shots were fired.

Witnesses said they heard as many as a half-dozen shots fired at the scene.

The officers involved are on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in an officer-involved shooting.
    The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the shooting.

Did police follow protocol?
    While officers face life or death situations many times in their careers, they also undergo specialized training to learn to cope with the pressure.

James Copenhaver, a private investigator and former Orange County sheriff’s investigator, said the revelation that nine shots were fired at a suspect in front of a crowded nightclub raises red flags about proper procedure.

Copenhaver said he understands the intensity of the situation.

“These cops are on heightened alert," he said. "They know that they are going on a call, that this guy has a gun because someone has seen it.”

But he said that’s when their constant training should kick in.

“It’s drilled in your head and you know before you take that fatal shot or any shot that you want some type of backdrop to protect potential citizens that are behind the suspect,” Copenhaver said.
    Copenhaver said a thorough review of the incident will determine if the shooting was justified.

This is just the latest incident where the actions of Orlando police officers were questioned. Copenhaver he agrees with the recent indictment of the Orlando police officer charged with firing the AR-15 in a local parking garage. He again points to questions in the officer’s training and said maybe it’s time for a review
  • Options
    wall232 said:

Idris said:

Police are trained to shoot at the largest body mass and that is the torso. Try shooting at someone’s legs but miss and hit a bystander, what would the news stories be then? Also, I’m pretty sure warning shots aren’t something cops do.

I have to find the video of a NYC transit cop getting into a fight on the subway platform. The cop repeatedly tells the man to stand down but the man keeps walking towards him. The cop then pepper spays the man multiple times but it doesn’t stop him. The cop finds himself in a full on brawl, I believe the officer is able to get the situation under control as the video ends before the fight does but what happens if during the brawl the man gets ahold of the cops gun and kills him? Would people say the officer shouldn’t have used pepper spray and just shoot him? The officer is lucky that he was able to go home and see his family that night is all I’m saying.

Decisions need to be made quickly; you don’t have a pause button like in a video game to gather your thoughts. It’s always easy for us to sit here and make judgments on these situations, but for once try putting yourself in a situation that could go wrong quickly, are you really going to worry about some man who was obviously egging the cops on and yelling at them to kill him, or will you worry about your life and the life of your partner?
    I've been in heavy situations, guns involved, so I do understand the heat of the moment.

The man was not charging the officer at like, full speed, I'm pretty sure a leg shot could of stopped him, at least I don't think it was necessary to shoot him that many times.

Maybe the Police need better/newer training. I get that they are trained to shoot the largest body mass, does not mean the cops acted correctly. Each case surely is specific/different to degrees.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Idris, i get what you're saying but it's not that simple...from what i understand in talking to cops, trying for a leg or arm etc is just much too dangerous for the general public...they are training to go for the chest/torso..it's the easiest to hit...however, using deadly force is the LAST thing a well trained officer will do in trying to subdue a suspect...that's how i've always understood it...in the case of the guy in the video, the cops went straight for deadly force without trying any other means and in my thinking, they violated their own protocol
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    norm said:

Idris, i get what you're saying but it's not that simple...from what i understand in talking to cops, trying for a leg or arm etc is just much too dangerous for the general public...they are training to go for the chest/torso..it's the easiest to hit...however, using deadly force is the LAST thing a well trained officer will do in trying to subdue a suspect...that's how i've always understood it...in the case of the guy in the video, the cops went straight for deadly force without trying any other means and in my thinking, they violated their own protocol

And if they did everything right and followed their protocol, why did they lie about how it went down?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

norm said:

And if they did everything right and followed their protocol, why did they lie about how it went down?
    well i think we both know the answer to that
  • Options
    Sure I get that, I guess I'm also questioning if 9?shots in the torso is really safer for the people around. Nevertheless I guess I'm not really disagreeing with what you guys are saying.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

http://privacysos.org/node/1504

Even more interesting...I'm guessing this bullet came from da polis not a rioter!
  • Options
    It seems ridiculous to me that there are people here suggesting that the police "take a leg shot" or "get back in their car" or "fire warning shots." What is wrong with you guys? These guys are out here risking their lives to protect yours.
  • Options

It seems ridiculous to me that there are people here suggesting that the police "take a leg shot" or "get back in their car" or "fire warning shots." What is wrong with you guys? These guys are out here risking their lives to protect yours.

Situations are different, they are not all the same.

I reckon the officer did not have to shoot this guy multiple times, in this particular situation.

Nevertheless lets see what becomes of it all.
  • Options
    Idris said:

Situations are different, they are not all the same.

I reckon the officer did not have to shoot this guy multiple times, in this particular situation.

Nevertheless lets see what becomes of it all.
    Police are trained to shoot until they have regained control over the situation. If this knife yielding lunatic was charging at you or your family, you would want the police to stop him by whatever force necessary. It's no diiferent for the police themselves.

This whole scenario in Missouri is crazy. It's tearing our country apart. It's dividing us even more.
  • Options
    Thiry----excellent point.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Just to comment you shoot to kill too many factors at attempting a shot to the leg etc.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You call what he did 'charging? And what knife was it? A giant dagger? A pocket knife? The details surely matter and yes I would want the officer to use whatever force was necessary,

and the point is, I dont think the force used in this case was necessary.
  • Options
    Charging, walking, crawling....whatever you want to call it. Pocket knife, butter knife, fork....whatever you want to call it. He was moving towards the police with a weapon and refused to do what the cops were ordering him to do. Regardless of your stance on police, they can order you to do something and you pretty much have to do it. I don't know what the police accou.t of this incident was, but this was not murder. This all boils down to respect for law enforcement. If this guy wasn't trying to commit suicide, then he should have just listened to the fucking cops when they said put the weapon down. That simple
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

How in the world can you make the judgement that he wasn't a threat? To those cols arriving on scene, be most certainly was a threat. He was charging at two armed cops with a knife and refused to put it down.
    That's not what I said. Go back and read my comment.

• Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Idris said:

That's not what I said. Go back and read my comment.

Yes I misread your post. Im sorry.
  • Options
    Respect is earned, for all we know, this guy has been abused by law enforcement before, he may have a history.

But what seems clear is that he was out of his mind, mentally unstable, drugged up. We dont quite know yet,

Our police forces have a history of abuse, we know the stories, we know it happens.

I'll say it again, I really don't think it was necessary for the officer to fire his gun at that point in time.