Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Yay, I see the racist is out in force since I last checked in.

Why is this Rascist?I can't speak for others,but I hate criminals of all colors.And in THIS case I think the kid was a thug not an angel and his actions led to his demise.No color needed

Travon was way more innocent then this clown was.
    Not you.

Although while you say this specific cop doesn't have a history of race issues, it does sound like the entire police force does, in general.

Maybe you should also give the investigators a call since you know so much about how it went down.
    There may be past cases of intolerance,but in a community dominated mainly by one demographic of people ,with mixed in economic stagnation and a police force who is another demographic I think its easy to see where conflicts like this could be common place.Is it Selma AL in the 60s no way.Are freedoms and rights being suppressed ? no.Are random people being singled out based on color? No
    These areas are powder kegs of emotion.IMO its more about economics and the frustration of being trapped within this enviorment.Race just plays as an easy way to vent this built up angst as a scapegoat for the real issues .
    How the hell do you know all this?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

Dosent Holders presence in and of itself play right into the crowd mentality of guilt by accusation.Why this issue for the glorious presences of Holder.
    If this cop gets a fair shake I'd be surprised.Its a no win for DA and the Federal Gov should NOT be involved here.There is no pre established racially motivated actions,nor does the cop have a history of race issue.This is a local issue.Elected local officials should be dealing with this.It does not reach a Civil Rights violation.Not a federal issue and would be a slippery slope if they take it.

We must be reading different news. Also rr I'm still waiting for a link talking about the dozens of witnesses backing the cops version of the events.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/08/14/ferguson-police-department-details/14064451/

2. Black people account for most arrests in Ferguson

Last year, black residents accounted for 86% of the vehicle stops made by Ferguson police and nearly 93% of the arrests made from those stops, according to the state attorney general. FBI statistics show that 85% of the people arrested by Ferguson police are black, and that 92% of people arrested specifically for disorderly conduct are black.
    What are you saying with point number 2? Are you saying that the black people in Ferguson are particularly disorderly?
    To me it infers racial profiling. What does it say to you?

• Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

Dosent Holders presence in and of itself play right into the crowd mentality of guilt by accusation.Why this issue for the glorious presences of Holder.
    If this cop gets a fair shake I'd be surprised.Its a no win for DA and the Federal Gov should NOT be involved here.There is no pre established racially motivated actions,nor does the cop have a history of race issue.This is a local issue.Elected local officials should be dealing with this.It does not reach a Civil Rights violation.Not a federal issue and would be a slippery slope if they take it.

We must be reading different news. Also rr I'm still waiting for a link talking about the dozens of witnesses backing the cops version of the events.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/08/14/ferguson-police-department-details/14064451/

Last year, black residents accounted for 86% of the vehicle stops made by Ferguson police and nearly 93% of the arrests made from those stops, according to the state attorney general. FBI statistics show that 85% of the people arrested by Ferguson police are black, and that 92% of people arrested specifically for disorderly conduct are black.
    What are you saying with point number 2? Are you saying that the black people in Ferguson are particularly disorderly?
    To me it infers racial profiling. What does it say to you?

It begs consideration for sure.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

Agreed about First Responders. They truly never know what they are walking into.

I may be wrong but here in Canada our firefighters and EMT'S don't carry. At least I've never seen them armed. I googled it and couldn't find out for sure.
    They don't. They don't even have guns in their vehicles in the event of an 'incident'.

If our country sold assault rifles at every sporting good store and handguns at gas stations, we might see policy changes with regards to that... but for now, there is no need.

Thanks for your answer.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

Agreed about First Responders. They truly never know what they are walking into.

I may be wrong but here in Canada our firefighters and EMT'S don't carry. At least I've never seen them armed. I googled it and couldn't find out for sure.
    Canada also doesn't have the gun related violence the U.S. has. There was an incident in I believe New Hampshire a few months ago where some nut job deliberately started a fire, called 911, and then tried to pick responders off with a sniper rifle. Fucking sick.
    Sad state of affairs.
  • Options
    Ferguson definitely has some systematic issues... They have a city council member who is being sued from her actions as a cop in that 2009 case where they charged that innocent guy they beat with bleeding on their clothes. They also have a current officer (Boyd) who was fired from the St Louis police department for beating kids on multiple occasions.

Ferguson, like many small towns, is largely funded by police fines they levy. So they seem to go out of their way to charge people with vague offenses like disorderly conduct, and pull people over on trumped up traffic offenses to search them in hopes of finding more charges they can add.

Who knows what really happened that day with the officer and Mike Brown. I'm guessing the officer at the very least got scared and over reacted. But when you have a community that has been consistently and institutionally mistreated by police, I can understand the outrage and hopeless feeling that they have for seeing justice in this case or any case.

And in all honesty, has anything that the Ferguson or St Louis county police departments done since the shooting given you any reason to believe them, or any given you confidence in their abilities at all?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Ferguson definitely has some systematic issues... They have a city council member who is being sued from her actions as a cop in that 2009 case where they charged that innocent guy they beat with bleeding on their clothes. They also have a current officer (Boyd) who was fired from the St Louis police department for beating kids on multiple occasions.

Ferguson, like many small towns, is largely funded by police fines they levy. So they seem to go out of their way to charge people with vague offenses like disorderly conduct, and pull people over on trumped up traffic offenses to search them in hopes of finding more charges they can add.

Who knows what really happened that day with the officer and Mike Brown. I'm guessing the officer at the very least got scared and over reacted. But when you have a community that has been consistently and institutionally mistreated by police, I can understand the outrage and hopeless feeling that they have for seeing justice in this case or any case.

And in all honesty, has anything that the Ferguson or St Louis county police departments done since the shooting given you any reason to believe them, or any given you confidence in their abilities at all?

Well said.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Why is this Rascist?I can't speak for others,but I hate criminals of all colors.And in THIS case I think the kid was a thug not an angel and his actions led to his demise.No color needed

Not you.

Although while you say this specific cop doesn't have a history of race issues, it does sound like the entire police force does, in general.

Maybe you should also give the investigators a call since you know so much about how it went down.
    There may be past cases of intolerance,but in a community dominated mainly by one demographic of people ,with mixed in economic stagnation and a police force who is another demographic I think its easy to see where conflicts like this could be common place.Is it Selma AL in the 60s no way.Are freedoms and rights being suppressed ? no.Are random people being singled out based on color? No
    These areas are powder kegs of emotion.IMO its more about economics and the frustration of being trapped within this enviorment.Race just plays as an easy way to vent this built up angst as a scapegoat for the real issues .
    Agree with most of what RR wrote. Think it's pretty universally accepted.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Again, how the hell do you know this having spent a total of 0 time in Ferguson?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    dignin said:

rr165892 said:

1.heard it from a talking head on CNN.No print sorry.If I can dig up a link I will.I heard it late yesterday.
    2.that is because the Ferguson Population is like 90% African American,so of course those numbers will reflect the population.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    edited August 2014
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

A lot of it is, until you get to this part:
    "Are freedoms and rights being suppressed ? no.Are random people being singled out based on color? No"

Truth is, we don't know that the answers are "no". If you can't walk down the street without getting followed and questioned, or you get beaten by an over zealous cop, I would imagine that you would feel like your rights are being suppressed. And the arrest stats seem to show that black people are being singled out.

I'm not sure of the legal definition of discrimination, maybe these citizens aren't being denied jobs or education or housing based on their skin color, but if you feel like you are being harrassed and not given a fair shake, because you are a certain color, that has to be some sort of discrimination, right?

Sort of like sexual harassment.., it's basically harassment if the victim feels harassed. It's obvious that these people feel harassed based on their skin color.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Again, how the hell do you know this having spent a total of 0 time in Ferguson?
    rr165892 said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

1.heard it from a talking head on CNN.No print sorry.If I can dig up a link I will.I heard it late yesterday.
    2.that is because the Ferguson Population is like 90% African American,so of course those numbers will reflect the population.
    From what I have seen, Ferguson is around 66% African American, not 90%, so no.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

The link I posted says the population in Ferguson is 67% african american.

• Options
    edited August 2014

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Cliff,Come spend some time here in the south.This shit happens everyday.We still have areas that are dominated by one demographic or the other.The symptoms are the same.Lower economic run,Lots of broken families.Absent fathers,high drug traffic,street crimes are plentiful.Violence and gang activity is common.Entitlements rule,No jobs available within the community.The list goes on.The majority of our counties crime numbers generate from those areas,The majority of Police shootings Involve People who either live,travel or came from those areas.
    We have a lot of law enforcement who are also minorities ,so when a shooting happens with police most the time its not publicized and Its just police shot a thug,drugged out freak or someone committing a crime.Sports,Education,military and a trade are the way out.For those who don't follow those paths and choose to stay and live in these communities deal with the statistical probabilities that they will be a victim of crime,turn to crime themselves or have run ins with law enforcement on a more regular basis then someone living in a middle class or affluent suburb.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Having spent years in urban environments with many black friends and talking to many people. Ferguson is not unique. Again theses aren't novel thoughts and you'll hear them from all sides.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Most population centers have a "Ferguson"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited August 2014
    dignin said:

rr165892 said:

But 65% of the population in Ferguson is black. And only 6% of their police force is black. Ummmm...... I think I see a bit of a problem here.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

"Are freedoms and rights being suppressed ? no.Are random people being singled out based on color? No"

Truth is, we don't know that the answers are "no". If you can't walk down the street without getting followed and questioned, or you get beaten by an over zealous cop, I would imagine that you would feel like your rights are being suppressed. And the arrest stats seem to show that black people are being singled out.

I'm not sure of the legal definition of discrimination, maybe these citizens aren't being denied jobs or education or housing based on their skin color, but if you feel like you are being harrassed and not given a fair shake, because you are a certain color, that has to be some sort of discrimination, right?

Sort of like sexual harassment.., it's basically harassment if the victim feels harassed. It's obvious that these people feel harassed based on their skin color.
    Yeah had issues with those lines as well. But in end if all were part of the bounty would be better.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

7/18- Jimmie Norman, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/18- Terry Taylor, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/17- Cindy Raygoza, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/11- Luis Aguilar, 91 year old hispanic male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/10- Brittany Simpson, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Sarah Goode, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Jeffrey Westerfield, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/5- Perry Renn, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/3- Laurey Kennedy, white female still in coma from beating by black male. No national news
    7/3 Eric Mollet, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Rupert Anderson, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Jennifer Kingeter, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/30 Jim Brennan, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/29 Paul Shephard, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Shirley Barone, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Penelope Spencer, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Inga Evans, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/26 Jake Rameau, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/25 Gina Burger, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/24 Nathan Dasher, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/22 Jonathan Price, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/20 John Whitmore, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/18 John Yingling,white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/17 Allyn Reeves, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/15 Michael Beaver, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Angela Cook, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Nathan Hall, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/7 Harry Briggs, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/5 Laura Bachman, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/2 Robert Mohler, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/1 William Headley, white male, murdered by black male. No national news

Well get all the people that are on mailing list on this email and start rioting. :D

HAHHAHAHHHAHAHHAHA watta wise guy ! :))

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

L 12 E and Callen, yeah you guys are right, Im just sick of the whole mess, hay Callen this time it was not an e-mail but you are correct it was not my own homework :)>-

Godfather.

Ya don't say?
    go away kid ya bother me.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

But 65% of the population in Ferguson is black. And only 6% of their police force is black. Ummmm...... I think I see a bit of a problem here.
    Stats on how many qualified black applicants tried for employment within the dept would be helpful.How many officers do they employ?Is there a hiring practice issue(different discussion).State police and county don't have the same demographically challenged issues do they?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Yeah had issues with those lines as well. But in end if all were part of the bounty would be better.
    Blackredyellow,
    Lets not forget he was hassled because he was walking down the middle of the fucking road,being a belligerent cocky asshole to the cop while holding a handful of stolen goods which he just strong armed robbed from a hard working fellow member of his community.So random targeting based on color holds zero weight here.Stick with facts
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Blackredyellow,
    Lets not forget he was hassled because he was walking down the middle of the fucking road,being a belligerent cocky asshole to the cop while holding a handful of stolen goods which he just strong armed robbed from a hard working fellow member of his community.So random targeting based on color holds zero weight here.Stick with facts
    Exactly stick with the facts. None of what you wrote here are facts. They maybe true but we don't know that yet.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Cliff,Come spend some time here in the south.This shit happens everyday.We still have areas that are dominated by one demographic or the other.The symptoms are the same.Lower economic run,Lots of broken families.Absent fathers,high drug traffic,street crimes are plentiful.Violence and gang activity is common.Entitlements rule,No jobs available within the community.The list goes on.The majority of our counties crime numbers generate from those areas,The majority of Police shootings Involve People who either live,travel or came from those areas.
    We have a lot of law enforcement who are also minorities ,so when a shooting happens with police most the time its not publicized and Its just police shot a thug,drugged out freak or someone committing a crime.Sports,Education,military and a trade are the way out.For those who don't follow those paths and choose to stay and live in these communities deal with the statistical probabilities that they will be a victim of crime,turn to crime themselves or have run ins with law enforcement on a more regular basis then someone living in a middle class or affluent suburb.
    My mom lives in Greenville, NC. So I spend a bit of time down there. I think the issues you talk about are obviously much bigger than just Ferguson or the South, although they may be a bit worse there. These are the issues facing our entire country and it is no different from urban Philadelphia. Lack of jobs and education. A guy was killed by police the other day here and you won't hear anything about it, which I think says a lot about how the people there feel in general about their treatment.

While this is obviously a much bigger issue, my opinion is that everything comes back to education. You can't expect people to just find a way without providing at least the opportunity for a half way decent education. I could go on and on about this though.

While much of this probably applies to Ferguson, from what I am reading their issues stem specifically from their treatment by the police.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Most population centers have a "Ferguson"
    Of course they do but I don't think you can generalize and assume that these people's issues aren't real or unique.
  • Options

callen said:

7/18- Jimmie Norman, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/18- Terry Taylor, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/17- Cindy Raygoza, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/11- Luis Aguilar, 91 year old hispanic male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/10- Brittany Simpson, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Sarah Goode, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Jeffrey Westerfield, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/5- Perry Renn, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/3- Laurey Kennedy, white female still in coma from beating by black male. No national news
    7/3 Eric Mollet, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Rupert Anderson, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Jennifer Kingeter, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/30 Jim Brennan, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/29 Paul Shephard, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Shirley Barone, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Penelope Spencer, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Inga Evans, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/26 Jake Rameau, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/25 Gina Burger, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/24 Nathan Dasher, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/22 Jonathan Price, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/20 John Whitmore, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/18 John Yingling,white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/17 Allyn Reeves, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/15 Michael Beaver, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Angela Cook, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Nathan Hall, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/7 Harry Briggs, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/5 Laura Bachman, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/2 Robert Mohler, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/1 William Headley, white male, murdered by black male. No national news

Well get all the people that are on mailing list on this email and start rioting. :D

HAHHAHAHHHAHAHHAHA watta wise guy ! :))

Godfather.
    Was that so hard. :D:D
  • Options
    edited August 2014

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

My mom lives in Greenville, NC. So I spend a bit of time down there. I think the issues you talk about are obviously much bigger than just Ferguson or the South, although they may be a bit worse there. These are the issues facing our entire country and it is no different from urban Philadelphia. Lack of jobs and education. A guy was killed by police the other day here and you won't hear anything about it, which I think says a lot about how the people there feel in general about their treatment.

While this is obviously a much bigger issue, my opinion is that everything comes back to education. You can't expect people to just find a way without providing at least the opportunity for a half way decent education. I could go on and on about this though.

While much of this probably applies to Ferguson, from what I am reading their issues stem specifically from their treatment by the police.
    Greenville is a nice little city.Spent some summers as a kid in Hendersonville not far from there.
    And you're right the hood in Philly would experience similar issues.

Home of ECU!!!!!
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    dignin said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Blackredyellow,
    Exactly stick with the facts. None of what you wrote here are facts. They maybe true but we don't know that yet.

Kid on film robbing store=fact
    Walking in road witnessed by everyone=fact
    Mouthing off to cop witnessed by many=fact
    Had cigars on him=fact
    Only thing that is conjecture is he wasn't singled out.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Blackredyellow,
    Not sure who you are directing this post. We don't know facts but if I was a betting man would wager the dude was being a dick BUT demonstrations are about race. And understandably so.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rr165892 said:

Stats on how many qualified black applicants tried for employment within the dept would be helpful.How many officers do they employ?Is there a hiring practice issue(different discussion).State police and county don't have the same demographically challenged issues do they?
    There are 53 officers on the Ferguson police force and only 3 of them are black (or 4 - for some reason that number is unclear), and every single other cop is white. There is not a single other ethnicity represented in the force. So we're talking local police force.... however, almost all of Missouri is white - it's like Ferguson is where all the black people are - so the stats for the state police are similar, but much less meaningful.
    According to the Ferguson police, this massive discrepancy is due to the fact that all the black people in Ferguson have an ongoing distrust of the police force and therefore don't want to be on it. I'd say that statement reenforces the idea that the police force has problems related to racial relations, and that's under the very dubious assumption that the police chief is telling the truth (or is even capable of recognizing if there is a problem). It doesn't explain anything away at all.

Another interesting fact: "Missouri law requires the state’s attorney general to issue an annual Vehicle Stops Report detailing demographic information for people pulled over by officers in each city. In 2013, the attorney general’s office reported that black drivers in Ferguson were about twice as likely to be arrested after police stops than whites. Blacks made up 93 percent of 2013 arrests after car stops." (politifact.com)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata