Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

7/18- Jimmie Norman, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/18- Terry Taylor, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/17- Cindy Raygoza, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/11- Luis Aguilar, 91 year old hispanic male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/10- Brittany Simpson, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Sarah Goode, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/6- Jeffrey Westerfield, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/5- Perry Renn, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/3- Laurey Kennedy, white female still in coma from beating by black male. No national news
    7/3 Eric Mollet, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Rupert Anderson, white male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/2 Jennifer Kingeter, white female murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/30 Jim Brennan, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/29 Paul Shephard, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Shirley Barone, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Penelope Spencer, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/27 Inga Evans, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/26 Jake Rameau, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/25 Gina Burger, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/24 Nathan Dasher, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/22 Jonathan Price, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/20 John Whitmore, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/18 John Yingling,white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/17 Allyn Reeves, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/15 Michael Beaver, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Angela Cook, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/11 Nathan Hall, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/7 Harry Briggs, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/5 Laura Bachman, white female, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/2 Robert Mohler, white male, murdered by black male. No national news.
    6/1 William Headley, white male, murdered by black male. No national news

Did you get an email again. ;)

• Options
    chadwick said:

for the first time in 4200 years dignin & i agree on something. this is the start to a wonderful evening of debating riots & other chaotic bullshit free for alls in the summer nights of humid ass st. louis

How does it go......even the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while.

Glad we can all keep this civil.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Well cliffy, I can accept our differences in opinion here. I'm sure the one thing we can agree on is that this is a horrible tragedy. And the few assholes in Ferguson are turning what could be peaceful demonstrations into a violent and scary place to be

The police have played no small part in making those protest more violent than they needed to be.

Yea, the police are looting and starting the fires.
    Pointing military grade weapons at innocent people.

Yelling at protesters "Bring it. All you fucking animals, bring it. I don't give a fuck"

Arresting journalists without cause.

Threatening to shoot journalists.

Tear gassing journalists and peaceful protesters.

Shooting at peaceful protesters and journalists with rubber bullets.

Nothing to see here, just cops doing their jobs.
    Well said.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

7/11- Luis Aguilar, 91 year old hispanic male murdered by black male. No national news.
    7/3- Laurey Kennedy, white female still in coma from beating by black male. No national news

Most murders don't get national news, no matter what colour the victim or the killer was.
    This post is insane.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    GF, I have seen you post things like that in the past in other threads. I see your point but I don't think it applies here. Most murders in this country do not reach national news. You know this as well as most here on the boards: the national news outlets decide which crimes make the headlines based on ratings. If anyone here thinks that CNN has 4 different anchors in Ferguson based on anything other than ratings is naive. Don Lemon may think he's there to cover racial injustices or police brutality but the fact is that they are there so that they can get higher ratings.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    lukin2006 said:

Maybe before everyone riots people should just let the investigators do their jobs ... it seems to me people are concluding that if the facts indicate their was wrong doing by the officer he won't face charges. As for people calling for his immediate arrest ... really, police officer always get the benefit of the doubt its the nature of the beast.

And in the future no matter what race you are when the police stop you and want to ask you questions, maybe just answer or don't but at the very least be respectful, don't make any threatening moves and keep your hands where they can be seen.

Just for the record I'm not saying this kid did anything wrong ... I just don't know, I'm at the very least willing to let investigators sort things out. and i sure as hell wouldn't be demonstrating or rioting unless I knew the facts ... which at this point it appears no one does.

Blacks are treated differently by police than we are. That's reason for backlash. Sure many blacks understand that MB may have provoked the cop it's just a representation to what they feel is a wider issue.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

These people are morons

Who's these people? If blacks they feel desperate and unrepresented.

Think many here have no clue how it must feel to be in a car with few of your black buddies pulled over by a single white cop. They are not treated as you and or I would.

Rightly or wrongly I should add.

Always thought as young lad racism would be better by now but humans like to remain in their herds. Sad.

Those people are the idiots that feel that looting and rioting is the appropriate response to a tragedy.
    So all blacks riot?? Little hate going on?

Seriously? I'm wondering where in any of my posts did I say all blacks riot? You asked "who's these people?" I responded "those people are the idiots that feel like looting and rioting are an appropriate response to a tragedy."

How in the hell can you make that leap?
    Did lead myself down a path and you were indeed speaking of looters. Apologies if I offended.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

If a large man was lunging at me, threatening me or others around me, yes shoot first. The police have the right to use deadly force. As far as overkill? Aim for the head. If I'm protecting myself, there isn't going to be a warning shot.

Except this isn't the case in America.

Glad you're not a cop though. Although you would likely be in jail if you were. Do you know how many people lunge at cops on a daily basis? Like I said on the last page, my female friend got control of a dude coming at her with an axe without shooting. This kind of thing is not a rare occurancem
    I'm not a cop, but I am a fireman. I deal with shitheads on a semi regular basis. Fortunately, I have not been in a situation where I've had to pull my gun on a scene. But believe me when I say that if me or my crew were in a life threatening situation, I will not hesitate to use it. As a cop, fireman, or EMS worker, you always look out for #1.
    Isn't by definition getting into public service looking out for others?
    Most certainly. Police, fire, and EMS all risk their lives for complete startngers on a daily and hourly basis. But make no mistake, if I can help it, I will not be threatened or made to feel threatened by the very people we are there to help.
    But what is threatened? Someone looking at you wrong? When are you allowed to kill an unarmed person? I surely hope most police officers can handle a situation with an unarmed person without killing them.
    If there's a guy bigger than a cop and he charges him, I'm okay with cop pulling his weapon and if guy doesn't stop, shooting him.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Well get all the people that are on mailing list on this email and start rioting. :D
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    hedonist said:

What's the context of all of those, GF?

Wish we could see circumstance vs color.

Character vs color.

so do I but the media and the "jesse jackson's & al sharpton's" in the world will never let that happen.
    and I'm just sick and tired of all the unrest going on in the world, the (radical)muslims the looting and race card and obama who is in my opinion
    doing the worst job as president than anybody before him ..is he going to sit on his thumb over this beheading of that reporter ? at least Bush would be
    kicking some serious ass right about now...maybe I should back off the social media thing and watch the history channel ONLY but as a friend of mine
    here in San Diego said "closing your eye's wont make go away" but I sure wish it would.

Godfather.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    L 12 E and Callen, yeah you guys are right, Im just sick of the whole mess, hay Callen this time it was not an e-mail but you are correct it was not my own homework :)>-

Godfather.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    Through all this talk of military hardware being employed by police has anyone seen any reports of drone usage?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    dignin said:

If a large man was lunging at me, threatening me or others around me, yes shoot first. The police have the right to use deadly force. As far as overkill? Aim for the head. If I'm protecting myself, there isn't going to be a warning shot.

Except this isn't the case in America.

Glad you're not a cop though. Although you would likely be in jail if you were. Do you know how many people lunge at cops on a daily basis? Like I said on the last page, my female friend got control of a dude coming at her with an axe without shooting. This kind of thing is not a rare occurancem
    I'm not a cop, but I am a fireman. I deal with shitheads on a semi regular basis. Fortunately, I have not been in a situation where I've had to pull my gun on a scene. But believe me when I say that if me or my crew were in a life threatening situation, I will not hesitate to use it. As a cop, fireman, or EMS worker, you always look out for #1.
    Holy shit, I had no idea firemen carry guns. You learn something new everyday.

Almost every first responder I know does as well.Ive heard the stories.It is needed.
  • Options

norm said:

i really can't believe some of the things i'm reading here

and some of you wonder why african americans distrust cops so much?

In my mind, this has nothing to do with race. I'm looking completely at the incident for what it is.

If this guy was white, brown, purple, or indigo... I couldn't give a shit. It doesn't change a thing for me.
    Exactly.This is right side of law vs wrong side.Color Dosent matter
  • Options
    Agreed about First Responders. They truly never know what they are walking into.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    GF you show your racism so boldly it is shocking!
    Why is it that police can afford tanks, assault rifles, and all the military gear, but they cant afford to all wear GoPros so that we dont have to judge the cops story against the witnesses'?? Cuz they dont want that kind of regulation..then when they get all hopped up on adrenaline they cant claim "he reached for my gun" or "he charged me". Im not judging whether brown did these things or not, but there will be no proof either way and cops have claimed those things falsely MANY times in the past.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Dosent Holders presence in and of itself play right into the crowd mentality of guilt by accusation.Why this issue for the glorious presences of Holder.
    If this cop gets a fair shake I'd be surprised.Its a no win for DA and the Federal Gov should NOT be involved here.There is no pre established racially motivated actions,nor does the cop have a history of race issue.This is a local issue.Elected local officials should be dealing with this.It does not reach a Civil Rights violation.Not a federal issue and would be a slippery slope if they take it.
  • Options

L 12 E and Callen, yeah you guys are right, Im just sick of the whole mess, hay Callen this time it was not an e-mail but you are correct it was not my own homework :)>-

Godfather.

Was trying to add bit of humor GF.

I know it seems idiotic for blacks to get worked up but they do get different treatment by the police, some of which just goes with the environment that confrontations happen but can understand them getting a bit pissed off. And they know they bring some of it on themselves. But Feel powerless and not part of the dream.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

Dosent Holders presence in and of itself play right into the crowd mentality of guilt by accusation.Why this issue for the glorious presences of Holder.
    If this cop gets a fair shake I'd be surprised.Its a no win for DA and the Federal Gov should NOT be involved here.There is no pre established racially motivated actions,nor does the cop have a history of race issue.This is a local issue.Elected local officials should be dealing with this.It does not reach a Civil Rights violation.Not a federal issue and would be a slippery slope if they take it.

cop not get a fair shake? that will be a first if it happens..dude is on paid vacation after killing an unarmed citizen...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Yay, I see the racist is out in force since I last checked in.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Why is this Rascist?I can't speak for others,but I hate criminals of all colors.And in THIS case I think the kid was a thug not an angel and his actions led to his demise.No color needed

Travon was way more innocent then this clown was.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

Why is this Rascist?I can't speak for others,but I hate criminals of all colors.And in THIS case I think the kid was a thug not an angel and his actions led to his demise.No color needed

Not you.

Although while you say this specific cop doesn't have a history of race issues, it does sound like the entire police force does, in general.

Maybe you should also give the investigators a call since you know so much about how it went down.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

Godfather.

Ya don't say?
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Agreed about First Responders. They truly never know what they are walking into.

I may be wrong but here in Canada our firefighters and EMT'S don't carry. At least I've never seen them armed. I googled it and couldn't find out for sure.
  • Options

hedonist said:

What's the context of all of those, GF?

Wish we could see circumstance vs color.

Character vs color.

so do I but the media and the "jesse jackson's & al sharpton's" in the world will never let that happen.
    and I'm just sick and tired of all the unrest going on in the world, the (radical)muslims the looting and race card and obama who is in my opinion
    doing the worst job as president than anybody before him ..is he going to sit on his thumb over this beheading of that reporter ? at least Bush would be
    kicking some serious ass right about now...maybe I should back off the social media thing and watch the history channel ONLY but as a friend of mine
    here in San Diego said "closing your eye's wont make go away" but I sure wish it would.

Godfather.

Ohhhhhh boy. Not to hijack the thread, but what would you like to Obama to do about the reporter? Pay ransom to terrorists? Attack ISIS? Have you been paying attention to what is going on in Iraq?

• Options
    dignin said:

JimmyV said:

I may be wrong but here in Canada our firefighters and EMT'S don't carry. At least I've never seen them armed. I googled it and couldn't find out for sure.
    Canada also doesn't have the gun related violence the U.S. has. There was an incident in I believe New Hampshire a few months ago where some nut job deliberately started a fire, called 911, and then tried to pick responders off with a sniper rifle. Fucking sick.

• Options
    dignin said:

JimmyV said:

They don't. They don't even have guns in their vehicles in the event of an 'incident'.

If our country sold assault rifles at every sporting good store and handguns at gas stations, we might see policy changes with regards to that... but for now, there is no need.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

We must be reading different news. Also rr I'm still waiting for a link talking about the dozens of witnesses backing the cops version of the events.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/08/14/ferguson-police-department-details/14064451/

2. Black people account for most arrests in Ferguson

Last year, black residents accounted for 86% of the vehicle stops made by Ferguson police and nearly 93% of the arrests made from those stops, according to the state attorney general. FBI statistics show that 85% of the people arrested by Ferguson police are black, and that 92% of people arrested specifically for disorderly conduct are black.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited August 2014
    dignin said:

rr165892 said:

We must be reading different news. Also rr I'm still waiting for a link talking about the dozens of witnesses backing the cops version of the events.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/08/14/ferguson-police-department-details/14064451/

2. Black people account for most arrests in Ferguson

Last year, black residents accounted for 86% of the vehicle stops made by Ferguson police and nearly 93% of the arrests made from those stops, according to the state attorney general. FBI statistics show that 85% of the people arrested by Ferguson police are black, and that 92% of people arrested specifically for disorderly conduct are black.
    What are you saying with point number 2? Are you saying that the black people in Ferguson are particularly disorderly?
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Not you.

Although while you say this specific cop doesn't have a history of race issues, it does sound like the entire police force does, in general.

Maybe you should also give the investigators a call since you know so much about how it went down.
    There may be past cases of intolerance,but in a community dominated mainly by one demographic of people ,with mixed in economic stagnation and a police force who is another demographic I think its easy to see where conflicts like this could be common place.Is it Selma AL in the 60s no way.Are freedoms and rights being suppressed ? no.Are random people being singled out based on color? No
    These areas are powder kegs of emotion.IMO its more about economics and the frustration of being trapped within this enviorment.Race just plays as an easy way to vent this built up angst as a scapegoat for the real issues .