Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options

rr165892 said:

chadwick said:

brown robbed the store & is clutching those cigars. he & his little partner decide to calmly take a stroll down the fucking street, not the sidewalk. let's just be obvious, defiant & show everyone we are runnin the show around here. when asked to take the walk to the sidewalk by a policeman we will be as we are... runnin the show around here

good ideas these folks had

strong arming a shopkeeper & walking down the damn street. asking for trouble anyone? if you are gonna be a thug ass criminal why not use your damn brain? petty crime, yes. stupid ass bullshit

Asking for trouble or asking to be killed?
    Without knowing the full story that seems to change every day... I'm not blaming the officer for what occurred quite yet.

What we do know is this guy had committed a crime, strutted down the middle of the street- essentially telling the world to go fuck themselves- defied police orders, and- likely thinking he was being detained for the robbery he just committed- resisted arrest (apparently lunging for a weapon as well).

On that note... if it is proven he lunged for the officer's weapon... what was he going to do with it? If he had shot the cop... everyone would be saying, "Why didn't the cop use his gun? What type of cop allows the detained to grab his gun and use it against him?"

From everything I have read, this case must determine exactly what threat Brown presented to the officer handling the situation. If it is established that Brown- a massive human being by all accounts- presented himself as a formidable threat that could easily overpower the officer and that he made an effort to do so... then I don't know if we should be the ones to judge whether or not excessive force was used or not. A cop, upholding the law and in a life or death situation against a criminal gets my support. Sorry.

Brown was in control of the situation to start with:
    1. He didn't have to rob the store.
    2. He didn't have to walk down the middle of the street demanding attention.
    3. He didn't have to ignore the cops demands which were reasonable to start with.
    4. He didn't have to resist arrest and lunge for a weapon.

Better judgement at any one of those moments and he likely would still be alive. In hindsight and from afar, it's easy to say what the cop should have done; but given the cop was forced to deal with the moment and make instantaneous decisions that might have cost him his life... I'm inclined to exercise a bare minimum of understanding... at least until the full story comes out.
    I don't disagree at all. The story has to come out. We will see if it does. But to basically say the guy deserves what he got because he was asking for trouble is insane.

The fact is an unarmed 18 year old is dead, regardless of race. People have every reason to be angry and want answers.

Everyone has handled the situation terribly

Many have handled the situation terribly... I agree.

I'm not happy Brown has been killed. All I'm saying is that his actions were reckless and he placed himself in harm's way- it's as if he played 'chicken' with the law. Most are calling for the cop's head, but they tend to forget that Brown pushed the envelope.

18 years old is not 8 years old. Brown knew what he was doing.
    Again, being reckless and asking for trouble is no reason to be killed. Perhaps the cop did feel threatened but also acted recklessly. The difference is it is job not to. I don't know why this guy gets the benefit of the doubt so much. Did he want to kill someone? Most certainly not but it doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrond

Why do cops not all have tasers?
    Of course being reckless and asking for trouble are not reasons to be killed, but these weren't the reasons he was killed.

Being in a confrontation/altercation with a police officer 'might' be a very good reason to be killed.

The officer gets the benefit of the doubt to this point in time because he wasn't the one hurting people, robbing stores, walking down the middle of main street, sneering at the cops, resisting arrest, and lunging for an officer's weapon. The officer was doing police work.

If it is established the officer used excessive force while doing police work (and I would admit that it kind of sounds like he did)... then he will be charged and face penalties. Until that time... innocent until proven guilty... no?
    Officer def should get benefit of the doubt.Im hearing there is at least a dozen people who witnessed/agree with his account of what happened.Quick trigger,maybe but if he felt threatened at all,and if the "gentle giant"made a move toward him in a threading manor(after trying to steal his gun).He had to react with deadly force.He was doing his job.
    Good to know police officers have the right to shoot unarmed people and get the benefit of the doubt. Shoot now ask questions later, I guess.
    No. Shoot only if the unarmed people are trying to grab your weapon and maybe use it against you.

How stupid does an unarmed guy have to be to try and grab a gun from anyone thinking if you don't get it... things will likely be okay? Such a move carries significant risk.

Exactly how many lunges would warrant an officer shooting someone?
    All good questions. But again, I don't get why one party is innocent until proven guilty and not the other
    I answered this when in my response to you I said: He might be innocent of resisting arrest and provoking a deadly altercation with the officer. This is what needs to be determined.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Has no one talked about the benefits of tasers vs guns here. Why didn't the cops just tase him? Not to mention that dude with the knife who was being discussed earlier?

I asked that a couple posts up. No reason cops don't all have tasers.

The one earlier seems crazy. They couldn't take a crazy dude with a knife out without killing him. I mean that dude deserved whatever happened but how can two cops not unarm a dude with a knife without killing him.
    I would think that a man with mental illness and knife doesn't deserve to be killed either. Not when tasers are an effective way to bring down a person from a safe distance. If the guy had had a gun as well, that's another story. But a weapon that only reaches as far as the man's arm is long? No need for guns in that situation. And certainly not for an unarmed teenager. I don't care how agitated he is. And what if the teen had tried to punch the cop (which he didn't)? Reason to shoot him dead? NO. But these days cops will shoot to kill to avoid getting a fucking hangnail as far as I can tell.
    Deserved was not the right word. Completely agree
  • Options

rr165892 said:

chadwick said:

brown robbed the store & is clutching those cigars. he & his little partner decide to calmly take a stroll down the fucking street, not the sidewalk. let's just be obvious, defiant & show everyone we are runnin the show around here. when asked to take the walk to the sidewalk by a policeman we will be as we are... runnin the show around here

strong arming a shopkeeper & walking down the damn street. asking for trouble anyone? if you are gonna be a thug ass criminal why not use your damn brain? petty crime, yes. stupid ass bullshit

Without knowing the full story that seems to change every day... I'm not blaming the officer for what occurred quite yet.

What we do know is this guy had committed a crime, strutted down the middle of the street- essentially telling the world to go fuck themselves- defied police orders, and- likely thinking he was being detained for the robbery he just committed- resisted arrest (apparently lunging for a weapon as well).

On that note... if it is proven he lunged for the officer's weapon... what was he going to do with it? If he had shot the cop... everyone would be saying, "Why didn't the cop use his gun? What type of cop allows the detained to grab his gun and use it against him?"

From everything I have read, this case must determine exactly what threat Brown presented to the officer handling the situation. If it is established that Brown- a massive human being by all accounts- presented himself as a formidable threat that could easily overpower the officer and that he made an effort to do so... then I don't know if we should be the ones to judge whether or not excessive force was used or not. A cop, upholding the law and in a life or death situation against a criminal gets my support. Sorry.

3. He didn't have to ignore the cops demands which were reasonable to start with.

Better judgement at any one of those moments and he likely would still be alive. In hindsight and from afar, it's easy to say what the cop should have done; but given the cop was forced to deal with the moment and make instantaneous decisions that might have cost him his life... I'm inclined to exercise a bare minimum of understanding... at least until the full story comes out.
    I don't disagree at all. The story has to come out. We will see if it does. But to basically say the guy deserves what he got because he was asking for trouble is insane.

The fact is an unarmed 18 year old is dead, regardless of race. People have every reason to be angry and want answers.

I'm not happy Brown has been killed. All I'm saying is that his actions were reckless and he placed himself in harm's way- it's as if he played 'chicken' with the law. Most are calling for the cop's head, but they tend to forget that Brown pushed the envelope.

Again, being reckless and asking for trouble is no reason to be killed. Perhaps the cop did feel threatened but also acted recklessly. The difference is it is job not to. I don't know why this guy gets the benefit of the doubt so much. Did he want to kill someone? Most certainly not but it doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrond

Of course being reckless and asking for trouble are not reasons to be killed, but these weren't the reasons he was killed.

Being in a confrontation/altercation with a police officer 'might' be a very good reason to be killed.

The officer gets the benefit of the doubt to this point in time because he wasn't the one hurting people, robbing stores, walking down the middle of main street, sneering at the cops, resisting arrest, and lunging for an officer's weapon. The officer was doing police work.

If it is established the officer used excessive force while doing police work (and I would admit that it kind of sounds like he did)... then he will be charged and face penalties. Until that time... innocent until proven guilty... no?
    Officer def should get benefit of the doubt.Im hearing there is at least a dozen people who witnessed/agree with his account of what happened.Quick trigger,maybe but if he felt threatened at all,and if the "gentle giant"made a move toward him in a threading manor(after trying to steal his gun).He had to react with deadly force.He was doing his job.
    Good to know police officers have the right to shoot unarmed people and get the benefit of the doubt. Shoot now ask questions later, I guess.
    No. Shoot only if the unarmed people are trying to grab your weapon and maybe use it against you.

How stupid does an unarmed guy have to be to try and grab a gun from anyone thinking if you don't get it... things will likely be okay? Such a move carries significant risk.

Exactly how many lunges would warrant an officer shooting someone?
    All good questions. But again, I don't get why one party is innocent until proven guilty and not the other
    I answered this when in my response to you I said: He might be innocent of resisting arrest and provoking a deadly altercation with the officer. This is what needs to be determined.
    I mean kind of, you say that but it sounds like you are making a ton of assumptions about what brown did and what the cop didn't do, which to me doesn't sound like innocent till proven guilty
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    If a large man was lunging at me, threatening me or others around me, yes shoot first. The police have the right to use deadly force. As far as overkill? Aim for the head. If I'm protecting myself, there isn't going to be a warning shot.
  • Options

chadwick said:

What about brown? He isn't innocent till proven guilty?
    He might be innocent of resisting arrest and provoking a deadly altercation with the officer. This is what needs to be determined.

As we investigate this... let's not pretend this is a nice boy coming home from volunteering at the youth center. He was holding up convenience stores and becoming confrontational with an officer who was forced to gauge his level of threat.

He forced the issue... the issue wasn't forced on him.
    It makes no fucking difference where he was coming from. The reason they released that is so people like you would do just this and call him a thug. All the matters is what happened in the seconds before an unarmed kid was killed.
    You are right. So stop forgetting about the fact that in the seconds before he was shot, he was defiant and aggressive- at one point trying to grab the officer's gun for gawd's sakes.

I have said the case appears to be overkill multiple times now. But I have also said that Brown is not some innocent kid simply minding his own business until forced to deal with a rogue cop: he was a criminal doing criminal things that sparked an interaction with a cop that wasn't handled very well- by himself and the cop.

And in as much as the cop may have fanned the flames, Brown lit the fire until it was burning bright.

This is pretty fair but I still don't see how you know that brown did all of this. What if the cop did grab him by his neck?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

chadwick said:

chadwick said:

You state this as if these were facts. All unproven.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

I mean kind of, you say that but it sounds like you are making a ton of assumptions about what brown did and what the cop didn't do, which to me doesn't sound like innocent till proven guilty

• Options

If a large man was lunging at me, threatening me or others around me, yes shoot first. The police have the right to use deadly force. As far as overkill? Aim for the head. If I'm protecting myself, there isn't going to be a warning shot.

Except this isn't the case in America.

Glad you're not a cop though. Although you would likely be in jail if you were. Do you know how many people lunge at cops on a daily basis? Like I said on the last page, my female friend got control of a dude coming at her with an axe without shooting. This kind of thing is not a rare occurancem
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

chadwick said:

Im hearing there is at least a dozen people who witnessed/agree with his account of what happened.

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard this.

Post edited by dignin on
  • Options

My wife's best friend (and one of mine) is a police officer here in philly. She recently had a crazy dude come at her with an axe in the middle of the night in the hood. She did not shoot her gun. So a 120 pound female doesn't discharge a gun on a guy with an axe coming at her but he needs to put 6 bullets into an unarmed guy "grabbing" at his gun

Excuse me if I think there may be another way the situation could have been handled by the cop.

Well... there might be several spouses out there that do not wish for the same level of patience. I think we can agree that you can be grateful the axe wasn't buried in her head.

Read my posts, Cliffy. I have repeatedly said it 'appears' to be overkill.

The erratic and defiant behaviour of Brown warrants an investigation before we hang the officer. There are various conflicting reports regarding what happened. Some of the witnesses have credibility issues. The officers might be lying to make themselves appear to be better.

Let's get all the facts... and until we do... I- for one- will side with the officer who was performing police work instead of Brown, who was being a criminal. If it turns out the officer acted vehemently... then they should face legal consequences and we can agree that Brown was mistreated.

For the moment, can we agree that Brown played a part in his undoing or are you simply unwilling to acknowledge that he initiated and maintained a chain of events that ultimately led to his death?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i really can't believe some of the things i'm reading here

and some of you wonder why african americans distrust cops so much?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited August 2014

But you're not a cop. Shouldn't cops be able to deal with someone who wants a fist fight without shooting them in the head? I think so. Wtf is all that training for anyway???? I can't believe that anyone thinks that a guy lunging justifies death by shooting. What in the hell are you people talking about??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Glad you're not a cop though. Although you would likely be in jail if you were. Do you know how many people lunge at cops on a daily basis? Like I said on the last page, my female friend got control of a dude coming at her with an axe without shooting. This kind of thing is not a rare occurancem
    I'm not a cop, but I am a fireman. I deal with shitheads on a semi regular basis. Fortunately, I have not been in a situation where I've had to pull my gun on a scene. But believe me when I say that if me or my crew were in a life threatening situation, I will not hesitate to use it. As a cop, fireman, or EMS worker, you always look out for #1.
  • Options

My wife's best friend (and one of mine) is a police officer here in philly. She recently had a crazy dude come at her with an axe in the middle of the night in the hood. She did not shoot her gun. So a 120 pound female doesn't discharge a gun on a guy with an axe coming at her but he needs to put 6 bullets into an unarmed guy "grabbing" at his gun

Excuse me if I think there may be another way the situation could have been handled by the cop.

Well... there might be several spouses out there that do not wish for the same level of patience. I think we can agree that you can be grateful the axe wasn't buried in her head.

The erratic and defiant behaviour of Brown warrants an investigation before we hang the officer. There are various conflicting reports regarding what happened. Some of the witnesses have credibility issues. The officers might be lying to make themselves appear to be better.

Let's get all the facts... and until we do... I- for one- will side with the officer who was performing police work instead of Brown, who was being a criminal. If it turns out the officer acted vehemently... then they should face legal consequences and we can agree that Brown was mistreated.

For the moment, can we agree that Brown played a part in his undoing or are you simply unwilling to acknowledge that he initiated and maintained a chain of events that ultimately led to his death?
    I agree. We said the same thing to her. She is not afraid to use her gun though but didn't feel the need.

What are the witnesses credibility issues? I know certain people here had an issue with the way they speak.

I have and like I said I think it is mostly fair. I have never defended brown. All I have said is that the "robbery" is irrelevant. I also don't think stealing a couple blunts and being an asshole to the owner is robbery, but that is a different argument.

I completely agree that we should wait till we get all the facts which is largely my point. I am just not comfortable siding with a police officer who killed an unarmed person with at least 6 shots and don't think he should get the benefit of the doubt. Your job is to serve the public. You better have a damn good fucking reason before pumping 6 shots into an unarmed person and I haven't been convinced
  • Options
    The only reason he needs is he was threatened. To me, that's a good enough reason.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    YES!!!!!
  • Options

I completely agree that we should wait till we get all the facts which is largely my point. I am just not comfortable siding with a police officer who killed an unarmed person with at least 6 shots and don't think he should get the benefit of the doubt. Your job is to serve the public. You better have a damn good fucking reason before pumping 6 shots into an unarmed person and I haven't been convinced
    Well said.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    just because someone wants a fist fight & a wrestling match w/ a cop does not mean they are not having desires of removing the cop's sidearm & blowing the cop's brains out. geewiz folks get real here.

how about simply don't go for a cop no matter how bad you wanna roll around on the pavement w/ him or her. that is stupid as shit. cops have guns & friends w/ guns. why go at one with aggresive behavior?

yes, sir, no sir. yes, maam, no maam. & get the fuck out from walking in the street to walking on the sidewalk. simple shit
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Has no one talked about the benefits of tasers vs guns here. Why didn't the cops just tase him? Not to mention that dude with the knife who was being discussed earlier?

I asked that a couple posts up. No reason cops don't all have tasers.

The one earlier seems crazy. They couldn't take a crazy dude with a knife out without killing him. I mean that dude deserved whatever happened but how can two cops not unarm a dude with a knife without killing him.
    I would think that a man with mental illness and knife doesn't deserve to be killed either. Not when tasers are an effective way to bring down a person from a safe distance. If the guy had had a gun as well, that's another story. But a weapon that only reaches as far as the man's arm is long? No need for guns in that situation. And certainly not for an unarmed teenager. I don't care how agitated he is. And what if the teen had tried to punch the cop (which he didn't)? Reason to shoot him dead? NO. But these days cops will shoot to kill to avoid getting a fucking hangnail as far as I can tell. s/
    I disagree,come at a cop with a knife in the Jason from Friday the 13th motion,get a fucking bullet.Quit being so fucking soft on these fucking criminals.Dont want to get shot ,hey don't fucking try to overtake a cop with a weapon.
  • Options

Providence Police Detective Sgt. James L. Allen would argue that it can become quite serious... if he was alive to do so. At the police station, no less, he was questioning Esteban Carpio for his alleged part in the stabbing of an 85 year old woman. As fate would have it, Carpio overpowered Allen and shot him dead with his own weapon.

Carpio jumped from the window and tried to get away, but was apprehended. He was also beaten... severely. I'm sure there are many on here that would feel the cops simply should have chased him down... went to another room while the blood was being cleaned from the initial room... and the questioning should have continued. I'm not one of those people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esteban_Carpio
  • Options

The only reason he needs is he was threatened. To me, that's a good enough reason.

Oh bullshit. If every copy who "felt threatened" killed people there would be hundreds of these a week
  • Options
    norm said:

It's unreal.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I'm not a cop, but I am a fireman. I deal with shitheads on a semi regular basis. Fortunately, I have not been in a situation where I've had to pull my gun on a scene. But believe me when I say that if me or my crew were in a life threatening situation, I will not hesitate to use it. As a cop, fireman, or EMS worker, you always look out for #1.
    Holy shit, I had no idea firemen carry guns. You learn something new everyday.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    reminds me of idiots who go before the judge for any simple charge wearing their hat & stupid ass shirt & lip ring & eyebrow rings in. you are a fucking moron.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    No, I don't know how many times a day a cop feels his life threatened. And I'm pretty sure you don't either.
  • Options

Isn't by definition getting into public service looking out for others?
  • Options
    norm said:

In my mind, this has nothing to do with race. I'm looking completely at the incident for what it is.

If this guy was white, brown, purple, or indigo... I couldn't give a shit. It doesn't change a thing for me.
  • Options

You can't look out for others if you are dead.
  • Options

Most certainly. Police, fire, and EMS all risk their lives for complete startngers on a daily and hourly basis. But make no mistake, if I can help it, I will not be threatened or made to feel threatened by the very people we are there to help.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    As far as "innocent until proven guilty" is concerned, the cop was almost instantly convicted in the court of public opinion. A jury can vote 12-0 in his favor, but he'll never be innocent to most of America no matter what evidence is presented based on the initial reporting. You are barking up the wrong tree thinking the police officer is getting the benefit of the doubt here.