Police abuse

Comments

• dignin said:

From what I know, many black communities are struggling. There are a number of reasons for this. In particular, young males are being raised without a positive male role model: in many cases, dads are incarcerated or absentee.

What's troubling about the incarcerated dads is the fact that most of those incarcerations stem from drug offences. This is an area where we could definitely do better. With all we know... it makes no sense... absolutely no sense... to not legalize drugs.

Nation wide legalization offers the opportunity to generate jobs in labs, fields, shipping, processing, retail, regulation et al. Further, the tax revenues earned off drug sales and the tax dollars saved from placing drug users and sellers in jail offer the country an opportunity to redirect those funds into quality social programs that might stand a chance at correcting the current course the US is riding.

And... dads don't get arrested for their interest in marijuana.

Checked this out after seeing your other post. 100% agree. This would be a big step in the right direction. Incarceration for petty drug crimes has helped with breaking these communities and perpetuating violence.
    Remember when I asked you the question: do you feel cops are inherently racist or do they become racist?

Part of my motivation for asking was with this reality in mind. When it becomes routine for cops to arrest black people active in the drug trade, I feel that cops begin to stereotype skin colour, hair styles, and clothing. In short, I feel they develop such racial attitudes.

I see biased attitudes develop in all aspects of society. For example, whenever we go see a doctor... I get the feeling they are looking at us as if we are there because we are overreacting to something small. Many have grown weary of the health care abusers and, by human nature, have become somewhat insensitive.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

dignin said:

From what I know, many black communities are struggling. There are a number of reasons for this. In particular, young males are being raised without a positive male role model: in many cases, dads are incarcerated or absentee.

What's troubling about the incarcerated dads is the fact that most of those incarcerations stem from drug offences. This is an area where we could definitely do better. With all we know... it makes no sense... absolutely no sense... to not legalize drugs.

Nation wide legalization offers the opportunity to generate jobs in labs, fields, shipping, processing, retail, regulation et al. Further, the tax revenues earned off drug sales and the tax dollars saved from placing drug users and sellers in jail offer the country an opportunity to redirect those funds into quality social programs that might stand a chance at correcting the current course the US is riding.

Checked this out after seeing your other post. 100% agree. This would be a big step in the right direction. Incarceration for petty drug crimes has helped with breaking these communities and perpetuating violence.
    Remember when I asked you the question: do you feel cops are inherently racist or do they become racist?

Part of my motivation for asking was with this reality in mind. When it becomes routine for cops to arrest black people active in the drug trade, I feel that cops begin to stereotype skin colour, hair styles, and clothing. In short, I feel they develop such racial attitudes.

I see biased attitudes develop in all aspects of society. For example, whenever we go see a doctor... I get the feeling they are looking at us as if we are there because we are overreacting to something small. Many have grown weary of the health care abusers and, by human nature, have become somewhat insensitive.
    Check this out.

I'm a black ex-cop, and this is the real truth about race and policing

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/8661977/race-police-officer

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
  • dignin said:

dignin said:

Check this out.

Culture of the stations facilitates the development of racist attitudes.

15% racist from the outset. 70% exercise racism at various times depending on the situation. 15% wholesome. Black cops become racist too.

I can see the 15%, but I'm not so sure about the 70% estimate he offers.

Some of those stories he told are horrendous.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    dignin said:

Also, there is plenty of scientific evidence to show that cops (and anyone) are quicker to pull the trigger on black men than white.

This is no longer a debate as far as I'm concerned.

Correll, J. (2009). Racial bias in the decision to shoot? The Police Chief, 54-58.

This article reviews a Chicago study and two Denver studies that assessed how community participants compared to trained police officers in shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, where the race of the armed or unarmed target was manipulated. The researchers measured reaction time (time to make the decision to shoot or not) and errors. All three studies revealed that community participants consistently exhibited racial bias, so that a lower criterion to shoot was applied to Black targets compared to White targets. Like the community sample, the researchers found that police officers exhibited pronounced racial bias when reaction time was measured. However, importantly, officers showed no bias in terms of errors. That is, ultimately the officers made the right decision and were not impacted by race. The researchers attribute this finding for the officers to frequent, high quality, role play (e.g., Simunitions, computer scenarios) training in the use of force that can serve to extinguish the race-crime implicit bias for force decisions. [This article reviews Correll et al., 2007]

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., & Wittenbrink, B. (2002). The police officer’s dilemma: Using ethnicity to disambiguate potentially threatening individuals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83(6), 1314-1329.

In this study, the researchers use a videogame to test the affect race has on shoot/don’t shoot decisions when there are African American and White targets holding guns or holding various non-threatening objects. Participants were told to “shoot” the armed targets and “not shoot” unarmed targets. In terms of response time, participants were quicker to shoot the armed African American than the armed White. Conversely the participants were quicker to “not shoot” the unarmed White. The most common errors were shooting the unarmed African American and not-shooting the armed White. All of these results are consistent with a Black-crime implicit bias and this bias was found in both African American and White participants.

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., Wittenbrink, B., & Sadler, M.S. (2007). Across the thin blue line: Police officers and racial bias in the decision to shoot. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92(6), 1006-1023.

In this replicated study, Correll and colleagues compare police officers to community members on their speed and accuracy with simulated decisions to shoot/don’t shoot Black and White armed/unarmed targets. Both the police and community samples exhibited robust racial bias when the researchers analyzed speed of decision making. With regard to accuracy, the officers’ decisions were “less susceptible to racial bias (p.1022).” The authors link the superior officer result to high quality police use-of-force training.

http://www.fairimpartialpolicing.com/bias/

I've seen lots of data about police shootings floating around these last weeks. It seems like nearly everyone is happy with the conclusion that Anerica, and police specifically must be racist, and jump to so many conclusions based on one side of the story. Or haven't seen anyone offer explanations (other than racism) for the data.
    In Obama's speech he referenced some stats as well. One star that is always left out is the higher crime rate in many black communities. That explains why there's more blacks in jail, arrested, pulled over, etc. yes, there is a lopsided number of blacks being shot by police when they are only 13% of the population, but the number of blacks committing violent crimes and shooting police is just as lopsided. If a group commits more crimes, doesn't it make more sense that same group will have higher arrests too?
    Of course most in the black communities are non violent. That's why I think groups like BLM should be more upset over the violent crimes ruining their neighborhoods than a cop trying to make it home alive.
    There are other stats too, like single parents households or deadbeat fathers who abandon their families which is staggeringly higher in black communities. This leads to more poverty, school drop outs, kids join gangs and so on.
    It does t surprise me there is a faster trigger reaction with blacks. I'm not saying it's right, but from this article it sounds like it was t just cops, but a larger sample. You will have to believe all of America is racists, or perhaps a simpler explanation is the higher crime rates in black neighborhoods has put the rest of America on edge. I don't have the link with me, but I saw an article that stated a cop is 5 times more likely to be attacked by a black male that white (when population is taken into consideration).
    If you want to change that then start the change from within the community. Make it not acceptable to be a dead beat dad, high school drop out instead of what is expected of you.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,169
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

Also, there is plenty of scientific evidence to show that cops (and anyone) are quicker to pull the trigger on black men than white.

Correll, J. (2009). Racial bias in the decision to shoot? The Police Chief, 54-58.

This article reviews a Chicago study and two Denver studies that assessed how community participants compared to trained police officers in shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, where the race of the armed or unarmed target was manipulated. The researchers measured reaction time (time to make the decision to shoot or not) and errors. All three studies revealed that community participants consistently exhibited racial bias, so that a lower criterion to shoot was applied to Black targets compared to White targets. Like the community sample, the researchers found that police officers exhibited pronounced racial bias when reaction time was measured. However, importantly, officers showed no bias in terms of errors. That is, ultimately the officers made the right decision and were not impacted by race. The researchers attribute this finding for the officers to frequent, high quality, role play (e.g., Simunitions, computer scenarios) training in the use of force that can serve to extinguish the race-crime implicit bias for force decisions. [This article reviews Correll et al., 2007]

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., & Wittenbrink, B. (2002). The police officer’s dilemma: Using ethnicity to disambiguate potentially threatening individuals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83(6), 1314-1329.

In this study, the researchers use a videogame to test the affect race has on shoot/don’t shoot decisions when there are African American and White targets holding guns or holding various non-threatening objects. Participants were told to “shoot” the armed targets and “not shoot” unarmed targets. In terms of response time, participants were quicker to shoot the armed African American than the armed White. Conversely the participants were quicker to “not shoot” the unarmed White. The most common errors were shooting the unarmed African American and not-shooting the armed White. All of these results are consistent with a Black-crime implicit bias and this bias was found in both African American and White participants.

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., Wittenbrink, B., & Sadler, M.S. (2007). Across the thin blue line: Police officers and racial bias in the decision to shoot. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92(6), 1006-1023.

In this replicated study, Correll and colleagues compare police officers to community members on their speed and accuracy with simulated decisions to shoot/don’t shoot Black and White armed/unarmed targets. Both the police and community samples exhibited robust racial bias when the researchers analyzed speed of decision making. With regard to accuracy, the officers’ decisions were “less susceptible to racial bias (p.1022).” The authors link the superior officer result to high quality police use-of-force training.

I've seen lots of data about police shootings floating around these last weeks. It seems like nearly everyone is happy with the conclusion that Anerica, and police specifically must be racist, and jump to so many conclusions based on one side of the story. Or haven't seen anyone offer explanations (other than racism) for the data.
    In Obama's speech he referenced some stats as well. One star that is always left out is the higher crime rate in many black communities. That explains why there's more blacks in jail, arrested, pulled over, etc. yes, there is a lopsided number of blacks being shot by police when they are only 13% of the population, but the number of blacks committing violent crimes and shooting police is just as lopsided. If a group commits more crimes, doesn't it make more sense that same group will have higher arrests too?
    Of course most in the black communities are non violent. That's why I think groups like BLM should be more upset over the violent crimes ruining their neighborhoods than a cop trying to make it home alive.
    There are other stats too, like single parents households or deadbeat fathers who abandon their families which is staggeringly higher in black communities. This leads to more poverty, school drop outs, kids join gangs and so on.
    It does t surprise me there is a faster trigger reaction with blacks. I'm not saying it's right, but from this article it sounds like it was t just cops, but a larger sample. You will have to believe all of America is racists, or perhaps a simpler explanation is the higher crime rates in black neighborhoods has put the rest of America on edge. I don't have the link with me, but I saw an article that stated a cop is 5 times more likely to be attacked by a black male that white (when population is taken into consideration).
    If you want to change that then start the change from within the community. Make it not acceptable to be a dead beat dad, high school drop out instead of what is expected of you.
    Please don't assume it's always a problem with deadbeat dads there's also deadbeat moms as well. I know I'm experiencing it to this date.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    g under p said:

mace1229 said:

dignin said:

Please don't assume it's always a problem with deadbeat dads there's also deadbeat moms as well. I know I'm experiencing it to this date.

Peace
    Didn't mean to imply I was assuming anything, just pointing out there's lots of other factors that can explain data other than there are 600000 racist cops
  • mace1229 said:

g under p said:

mace1229 said:

dignin said:

Peace
    Didn't mean to imply I was assuming anything, just pointing out there's lots of other factors that can explain data other than there are 600000 racist cops
    Some simply cannot get their heads around the fact that as much as various factors drive the data... data can be misinterpreted either knowingly or unknowingly.

The posts that speak to the bigger picture are rarely acknowledged. There's a reason why: they are hard to speak to.
    ockham's razor

When are people going to start coming around to the fact that there are major problems with policing in America?

U.S. Department of Justice report: Baltimore police show bias, overuse force

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-department-of-justice-report-baltimore-police-show-bias-overuse-force-1.3022829

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws. BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression. The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community. The city and the department have also entered into an agreement in principle to work together, with community input, to create a federal court-enforceable consent decree addressing the deficiencies found during the investigation.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-announces-findings-investigation-baltimore-police-department

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    So the Baltimore PD is representative of all PDs across the country?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,862
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Check this out.

That is very disturbing. That actually makes the problem worse than I suspected, and I didn't have great feelings about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:

When are people going to start coming around to the fact that there are major problems with policing in America?

U.S. Department of Justice report: Baltimore police show bias, overuse force

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-department-of-justice-report-baltimore-police-show-bias-overuse-force-1.3022829

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws. BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression. The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community. The city and the department have also entered into an agreement in principle to work together, with community input, to create a federal court-enforceable consent decree addressing the deficiencies found during the investigation.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-announces-findings-investigation-baltimore-police-department

One mid-fifties black man was stopped 30 times in less than 4 years. Never charged with a crime.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Given all the evidence, I don't see how anyone can say that most large PD's in the US and Canada don't have a problem.

You don't think there is?
    dignin said:

Given all the evidence, I don't see how anyone can say that most large PD's in the US and Canada don't have a problem.

I think it's a pretty broad generalization to compare 1 department to all US PDs.

dignin said:

I think it's a pretty broad generalization to compare 1 department to all US PDs.
    It's not just one, Cleveland is in the midst of the same deal. I think it's pretty naive to think it's just Baltimore when Baltimore is not statistically anomalous to nationwide stats on race and "justice".

dignin said:

We're on page 68 in this thread. Plenty of evidence in here if you care to look.
    rgambs said:

dignin said:

It's not just one, Cleveland is in the midst of the same deal. I think it's pretty naive to think it's just Baltimore when Baltimore is not statistically anomalous to nationwide stats on race and "justice".
    dignin said:

dignin said:

We're on page 68 in this thread. Plenty of evidence in here if you care to look.
    If you're going to charge "most large US police departments" with being racists, you do indeed need more than 1 report from one city.

And being on page 68 of a police abuse thread is not relevant at all. I've been here since this thread was created and have been actively involved in most discussions.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,590
    search DOJ Consent Decrees.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    I've read a few articles about it but: What the Fuck is Happening in Milwaukee?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

I've read a few articles about it but: What the Fuck is Happening in Milwaukee?

Initial report are a couple dudes took off running from a traffic stop. One had a gun and either pointed it or shot at the cop chasing him. The cop shot and killed him. Then you had a bunch of low life douche bags get on social media and announced to all of their low life friends to burn the city
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    I saw a photo of a police station barricaded from the inside. Cars, a gas station and a bank were all set on fire the last I heard.

Here's a good example of just how quickly and easily a city can become destabilized.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    Bullshit, that's what's happening, just a bunch of punks dropping turds on society.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Just another typical day in the Ghetto.
    I really like Milwaukees sheriff. Dude is a no nonsense guy.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

I really like Milwaukees sheriff. Dude is a no nonsense guy.

He is the best!!! Politicians hate this guy cause he calls it the way it is.
    He just pretty much told the media to dig into the prosecutors to see why these 2 bone heads were even walking the streets.
    Hey, the cops killed another dude. Let's go burn down some gas stations, an auto parts store, and a restaraunt.

It just shows the lack of intelligence some people have. People are so stupid.
  • This is an interesting sentiment being tweeted about during this latest Milwuakee stuff.
This discussion has been closed.