Police abuse

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Thankfully there was video. Sounds like every officer on the scene lied. Just a bunch of "bad apples" I guess.

Chicago police move to fire officers in Laquan McDonald shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/us/chicago-police-laquan-mcdonald/index.html

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    dignin said:

Thankfully there was video. Sounds like every officer on the scene lied. Just a bunch of "bad apples" I guess.

Chicago police move to fire officers in Laquan McDonald shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/us/chicago-police-laquan-mcdonald/index.html

The bad apples don't fall far from the Chiraq tree... Bad governing=bad apples.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

This is an interesting sentiment being tweeted about during this latest Milwuakee stuff.

Good god this is stupid
    edited September 2016
    Yay, Philly!

Edit: This is starting to get a ton of attention in Philly. The FOP said it's no big deal and that it's just a tattoo of an eagle while it has been revealed that he is part of Blood and Honour, a neo-nazi group and likes to play cos play in Nazi uniforms.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    So I don't know if this belongs here, but I think it highlights the issues and divide between African Americans and the police.

I am going on a bachelor party in Vegas next weekend. My sister in law is marrying a guy who has a bunch of people in his family who are police, including his two brothers, who are obviously going. My brother (in name), a black dude originally from the Bronx who has a college education and works for a city in Arizona (along with a 2nd job), is also going. This guy is one of the best basketball players I have ever met (played college ball), is a very confident guy, is college educated, and does pretty well for himself. He also has a friend making the drive with him who I believe has a similar background. All together, 2 good guys.

He obviously knows and gets along very well with the guy getting married, but hasn't met either of the brothers. Both brothers are great guys and from everything I can tell very good police. My brother, who rarely shows any emotion, is a good guy and has absolutely zero reason to be at all nervous or have weird feelings about being around and hanging out with cops, is somewhat terrified. He is worried that he will be made to feel uncomfortable or worse that comments may be made. He has asked if we would be sharing a room with them and other questions about them. I have assured him a number of times that these guys aren't like this, but he is struggling with it.

Both groups of these people I anticipate will get along very well. But overall, I find it very sad that this guy who has absolutely no reason to be nervous has these feelings. They are there for a reason. He has seen some racial profiling by police, but nothing crazy. He is not part of BLM or anything along those lines, although he obviously has sympathy for the cause. After the shooting in Dallas, he close to tears.

I find the entire situation very sad, but am very much looking forward to an awesome weekend and I know these dudes will all get along very well. I guess the point is that if this guy has these feelings about two people that I know (a bit), like and trust, there is obviously a major issue in the relationship between the police and the black community.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    Interesting study being done by a Harvard professor.
    "On the most extreme use of force –officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account. "
    http://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/publications/empirical-analysis-racial-differences-police-use-force
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,866
    edited September 2016

This is an interesting sentiment being tweeted about during this latest Milwuakee stuff.

This completely dismisses so many issues that it's painful.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Like, I'm white and GWB was white, so why couldn't I decide to be President?

• PJ_Soul said:

Like, I'm white and GWB was white, so why couldn't I decide to be President?
    because you probably did not have the opportunity, don't have the means, don't have a father who was a president, and you probably don't have the connections. plus you are too intelligent to win over the idiots who voted for w.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The Oklahoma cop who was raping all the women (mostly black women) is in big trouble, he was found guilty on more than a dozen charges and faces life in prison if the judge doesn't get lenient.
    He cried like a baby as the verdicts (on more than 30 charges) were read in court.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Has Daniel Shaver come up in this thread?

I read about him in the ACTS forum. It's likely the grossest case of police abuse mentioned yet.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252

Has Daniel Shaver come up in this thread?

I read about him in the ACTS forum. It's likely the grossest case of police abuse mentioned yet.

I haven't heard of him, so I read 2 articles. Unless a lot has changed since the articles were out, seems far from the grossest case ever.
    The dude was drunk and waving a gun (who cares if it was a pellet gun, no one knew that) at people out his hotel window.
    Reports said even though he pleaded for his life, he failed to comply with orders, probably due to his drunken state.
    The only hesitation I have is they haven't released the body cam, but that could just be because of the upcoming trial and mean nothing.
    So considering you have a drunk guy waving a gun at people through a hotel window who then fails to comply with orders, without seeing the police video (which the jury will I'm sure) I can't label this police abuse, let alone the grossest case ever.
  • That's not the story I got.

That's not the story I got.

You have a link to other articles? I'd be interested to read it. Both I read had basically the same thing, which I summarized above.
  • mace1229 said:

You have a link to other articles? I'd be interested to read it. Both I read had basically the same thing, which I summarized above.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3607714/Unsealed-Arizona-police-video-omits-shooting-unarmed-man.html

In short:

* Police called to hotel- people had seen a rifle being aimed through a window (the gun was a pellet gun used for his pest control business... a guest and Daniel were inspecting it and looking down the sight line).

* Daniel was instructed to crawl out of room on hands and knees (he pleaded for his life... he was trying to pull up his shorts which were coming down in the process of crawling... cops say he was reaching for a gun... he was unarmed).

* A cop shot him five times (one in the head).

* Cops released video footage of their encounter- except for the portion directly before his death.

mace1229 said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3607714/Unsealed-Arizona-police-video-omits-shooting-unarmed-man.html

In short:

* Police called to hotel- people had seen a rifle being aimed through a window (the gun was a pellet gun used for his pest control business... a guest and Daniel were inspecting it and looking down the sight line).

* Daniel was instructed to crawl out of room on hands and knees (he pleaded for his life... he was trying to pull up his shorts which were coming down in the process of crawling... cops say he was reaching for a gun... he was unarmed).

* Cops released video footage of their encounter- except for the portion directly before his death.
    Read that article. Doesn't seem much different other than it downplays the fact he was waving rifles at people out a window, and doesn't mention that he was completely drunk. Both pretty important facts I think.

I feel bad for the guy, he of course didn't deserve it. But nothing good will come if you wave your rifle around at random people. The cops had no idea if this was the next mass shooting about to happen. Part of their claim is that he was so drunk he had difficulty following directions, and when he went to pull up his pants they thought he was reaching for a weapon.

I'm not trying to defend the cop. I'm just saying his story seems plausible and worthy of a fair trial where all the facts are presented, including the entire footage instead of taking 3 minutes to read an article that downplays his role.

What is 100% irrelevant is that they were pellet guns and used for his job, and every article seems to make a big point of those two facts. When someone makes the decision to wave a gun around at people, you have to treat it like its a loaded gun until you confirm otherwise.
  • mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

In short:

Read that article. Doesn't seem much different other than it downplays the fact he was waving rifles at people out a window, and doesn't mention that he was completely drunk. Both pretty important facts I think.

I feel bad for the guy, he of course didn't deserve it. But nothing good will come if you wave your rifle around at random people. The cops had no idea if this was the next mass shooting about to happen. Part of their claim is that he was so drunk he had difficulty following directions, and when he went to pull up his pants they thought he was reaching for a weapon.

I'm not trying to defend the cop. I'm just saying his story seems plausible and worthy of a fair trial where all the facts are presented, including the entire footage instead of taking 3 minutes to read an article that downplays his role.

What is 100% irrelevant is that they were pellet guns and used for his job, and every article seems to make a big point of those two facts. When someone makes the decision to wave a gun around at people, you have to treat it like its a loaded gun until you confirm otherwise.
    Facts that are in dispute.

The people other than the cops are saying he was not defiant... and the cops are being secretive- not to mention they fired him and have charged the cop with second degree murder. These items are significant given the SOP of law enforcement.

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

In short:

The people other than the cops are saying he was not defiant... and the cops are being secretive- not to mention they fired him and have charged the cop with second degree murder. These items are significant given the SOP of law enforcement.

All I was able to find about him being fired was partially due to his "You're F***ed" inscription on his weapon which violates policy, I haven't seen any other statements with regards to the murder case that lead to his dismissal.

But I don't totally disagree with you. This is a case definitely worth questioning and investigating. Hopefully post trial there will be more evidence made public, but as for now I don't think there is enough to convince me one way or the other about this case yet.
  • mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

In short:

All I was able to find about him being fired was partially due to his "You're F***ed" inscription on his weapon which violates policy, I haven't seen any other statements with regards to the murder case that lead to his dismissal.

But I don't totally disagree with you. This is a case definitely worth questioning and investigating. Hopefully post trial there will be more evidence made public, but as for now I don't think there is enough to convince me one way or the other about this case yet.
    And I've heard the things you've stated as well. I typically argue for the police side on these matters. This one is really stinky from what I have been led to believe.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    "Waving rifles at people" is equivalent to "sashquatch butt humping unicorns"

Completely drunk .27 BAC but sober enough to plead for his life with real pistols pointed at him by chicken shit cops.

He reached to pull his pants up three times the 3rd time bullets blasted his cheek neck back chest and thigh.

Aren't cops trained to detect completely drunk drunks? Especially those over 3 times the limit?

Another scaredycop.
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    Cops are nothing more than government's gang of collection agents given a gun and a badge and nearly 100% immunity.

Shoot someone? Here's two weeks paid vacation while we investigate it and determine there's nothing wrong.

You anti-gunners might want to start with your hero police.
    Being completely drunk doesn't prevent you from pulling the trigger when you are believed to be armed. In fact many aren't many violent crimes committed when someone is drunk?
    What about going to a call with a man waving a rifle around and then drawing your own gun makes those cops "chicken shit" or scaredycop? I'd be pretty scared reporting to a call with a man waiving a rifle around.? I wouldn't want to show up in that situation without a gun drawn if I had to go.
    I'm not convinced the cop is innocent, but neither was the other guy. Not saying he deserved it at all, but he certainly could have prevented it. Don't waive a rife around at people.
  • mace1229 said:

Being completely drunk doesn't prevent you from pulling the trigger when you are believed to be armed. In fact many aren't many violent crimes committed when someone is drunk?
    What about going to a call with a man waving a rifle around and then drawing your own gun makes those cops "chicken shit" or scaredycop? I'd be pretty scared reporting to a call with a man waiving a rifle around.? I wouldn't want to show up in that situation without a gun drawn if I had to go.
    I'm not convinced the cop is innocent, but neither was the other guy. Not saying he deserved it at all, but he certainly could have prevented it. Don't waive a rife around at people.

He wasn't waving a rifle around at people.

That information was erroneously reported to the police and they arrived assuming as much so fair enough... but when the guy is on his hands and knees... crawling towards the officers exactly as instructed... without a weapon... begging for his life... and trying to pull his pants up as they are falling off while crawling... even a poor cop could have handled that scene better.
    I haven't read anything that stated he was found to not be waiving a gun around. In fact, just about all reports seem to confirm that he was waving the pellet gun out the window. The fact it turned out to be a pellet gun is irrelevant in my opinion, you wouldn't know that. And it would be a big coincidence that they reported his room number and find pellet guns in there, how many people carry pellet guns into a hotel room?
    To be clear, he didn't deserve to get shot and I'm not convinced the cop is innocent. My original statement I was just pointing out given the lack of evidence (being withheld from public until the trial), there doesn't seem to be enough to rush to judgment yet. It seems entirely plausible given the lack of evidence so far that the cops could have believed he was armed, and pulling your pants up would be perceived as reaching for your waistband. The videos I've seen doesnt show the moments immediately prior to the shooting, but from other situations I've seen I would assume the cops are yelling at him to keep his hands up and he reaches for his pants anyway.
    Does that warrant a shooting? I don't know, I'd have to see the rest of the video.

I do believe there are dirty cops, and that they have committed horrible crimes. this would be a very small fraction of the 600,000 cops in our country. I believe most of the time it is to cover up something in their personal or professional life, and rarely, if ever, the attitude of joining the police force so you can get a free pass to kill someone just because you feel like committing murder. That seems very unlikely and implausible to me. But that seems to be the impression I see on here and BLM and other protestors are giving off. And seems to be the suggested motive in this case? If he just wanted to go shoot someone, he has 100 better opportunities everyday and just doesn't make sense that was his motive here.

To me seems like there are 2 likely scenarios. One, it really looked like he was reaching for a gun and being under the impression that he was armed, I would say its justified. The second being he couldn't handle the pressure of the situation and panicked. The latter being an unjustified shooting of course, but would I label him a murderer and rank this among the worst police abuses of our generation for that? I wouldn't. Especially considering the violence against cops lately. Hold him accountable, but to me that wouldn't be a murder charge for folding under pressure.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    dignin said:
    Yeah that story is truly unbelievable. It's no wonder some officers have the mentality of shoot first ask questions later and this goes up to administrative level. I hope that officer can get work as an officer elsewhere. That's ridiculous.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Harassment and trumped charges

https://youtu.be/uHNROh5Tfkk
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/09/19/police-involved-shooting-black-man-tulsa-prompts-investigation/90716058/

This one shooting was truly tragically video taped from various angles. One from an helicopter says, "That looks like one big bad dude too. He might be on something".

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    g under p said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/09/19/police-involved-shooting-black-man-tulsa-prompts-investigation/90716058/

This one shooting was truly tragically video taped from various angles. One from an helicopter says, "That looks like one big bad dude too. He might be on something".

Peace

walking back to his car which makes it look like he is trying to escape, ignoring cops directions to stop...so?
This discussion has been closed.