Police abuse

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,941
    So....apprently you can be executed if you don't follow orders from police, even when you are a threat to no one.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818

So....apprently you can be executed if you don't follow orders from police, even when you are a threat to no one.

so you were there....please give us your insight on what happened

I guess he was presenting an immediate threat that required he be shot. Or maybe he wan't. Use the information at hand, but adjust your own lens that says cops do no wrong.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    edited September 2016

he was a threat to the police. they didn't know what he was going for or if he was going to get back in the car and take off. i don't think he deserved to die but his actions or lack there of caused the reaction from the police.
  • So....apprently you can be executed if you don't follow orders from police, even when you are a threat to no one.

People should be allowed to tell cops to go stuff it up their hairy as**s. Why should we have to listen to them?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Walking back to the car isn't a threat, and they can't shoot someone for driving away.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    pjhawks said:

g under p said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/09/19/police-involved-shooting-black-man-tulsa-prompts-investigation/90716058/

This one shooting was truly tragically video taped from various angles. One from an helicopter says, "That looks like one big bad dude too. He might be on something".

Peace

walking back to his car which makes it look like he is trying to escape, ignoring cops directions to stop...so?
    So.....? Well pjhawks you forgot to mention he had his hands up. This police call was about vehicle stranded in the middle of the road. Trying to escape to a stranded suv....please tell me where's threat to the police officers life when the other officers there shot their tazer while she shot to kill?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

People should be allowed to tell cops to go stuff it up their hairy as**s. Why should we have to listen to them?
    I sort of looks like you have to now, or you'll get shot. Even if you haven't done anything wrong and you don't pose a threat. Too bad people support this.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252

Assuming all cops have a hairy a** is just not accurate.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:

g under p said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/09/19/police-involved-shooting-black-man-tulsa-prompts-investigation/90716058/

This one shooting was truly tragically video taped from various angles. One from an helicopter says, "That looks like one big bad dude too. He might be on something".

Peace

walking back to his car which makes it look like he is trying to escape, ignoring cops directions to stop...so?
    So? So, we better shoot him dead, we can't have black men walking around slowly with their hands up, this 'Merica damnit!

Cops and soldiers...so clean cut, do no wrong...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Yeah, like the dozens of black women raped by Daniel Holtzclaw, it's a good thing they listened to him and didn't tell him to shove it, they might be just another justified homicide.
    I would like to know in the first place on a call of a stranded vehicle why the the need to unholster the officer's service weapon? Hopefully the entire story will come out to get the full picture as to why the need to shoot to kill in the scenario.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487

Are you serious?

absurd
    unsung said:

Are you serious?
    I really don't think he was serious, that guy has much more common sense that that.

Peace

pjhawks said:

absurd
    It's classic thirtybills over the top sarcasm.
    g under p said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

So.....? Well pjhawks you forgot to mention he had his hands up. This police call was about vehicle stranded in the middle of the road. Trying to escape to a stranded suv....please tell me where's threat to the police officers life when the other officers there shot their tazer while she shot to kill?

Peace
    yes hard to tell if he drops his hands before being tasered/shot or not (my video didn't have sound so many i missed it). with the ambushes of police lately (one in philly friday night) i can see where the police seeing a guy moving towards his car and not responding to their commands would be considered a threat. i am not advocating the killing of this man, just saying where i can see how this escalated to this.
    pjhawks said:

g under p said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    yes hard to tell if he drops his hands before being tasered/shot or not (my video didn't have sound so many i missed it). with the ambushes of police lately (one in philly friday night) i can see where the police seeing a guy moving towards his car and not responding to their commands would be considered a threat. i am not advocating the killing of this man, just saying where i can see how this escalated to this.
    There could be various reason why the victim was not adhering to police commands....he could hard of hearing, police sirens going off I don't know. However, why this ONE particular officer shot to kill while the other officers dispensed their tasers? Why did she feel the treat was so overwhelming she shot to kill. I hope this will be sorted out soon.

Peace

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    Without audio how do you know he wasn't responding to their commands? How do you know he wasn't asked for ID and was moving (slowly, that much is fact, there are no sudden movements) to comply?
  • unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

I find the idea that cops should just let people go on whatever terms they dictate... when they don't feel like being detained... is completely absurd.

It's not that gawddamn hard to comply. You're tempting fate when you don't.
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    How unfortunate, you fooled me.
    rgambs said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    Without audio how do you know he wasn't responding to their commands? How do you know he wasn't asked for ID and was moving (slowly, that much is fact, there are no sudden movements) to comply?
    using that logic though how are you sure he didn't say he was going back to the car to get a gun to shoot the officers? but i've already seen and heard people discussing this like it was an execution.

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

I find the idea that cops should just let people go on whatever terms they dictate... when they don't feel like being detained... is completely absurd.

Do you know what probable cause is?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    pjhawks said:

g under p said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    Friday and Saturday in Philly.
  • unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

Answer: yes

Question: do you understand the threat officers face in the line of duty?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

What is considered enough of a threat to kill someone? Honest question. I would argue until someone walking away from you with their hands up towards a car does something sudden or reaches, that is not enough to kill someone. The officers sign up for that threat the first day they show up at the academy and you can't kill someone the second you get scared.
    Yes, it's a difficult job and they need to be trained to respond accordingly to actual threats, and also be compensated for the work. The public making excuses for eff ups makes it worse.
    pjhawks said:

rgambs said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    using that logic though how are you sure he didn't say he was going back to the car to get a gun to shoot the officers? but i've already seen and heard people discussing this like it was an execution.
    Im not sure, that's why we need body cameras and independent review of police actions. The police buddy system and public reverance for men in uniform is not sufficient to ascertain the truth.
  • unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

What is considered enough of a threat to kill someone? Honest question. I would argue until someone walking away from you with their hands up towards a car does something sudden or reaches, that is not enough to kill someone. The officers sign up for that threat the first day they show up at the academy and you can't kill someone the second you get scared.
    To some degree I would agree. But you would also have to agree that in the moment, exercising too much patience might cost you your life.

We sit on the sidelines and speak to this topic. It's easy to armchair quarterback.

I'd say this: it's far easier to comply with simple orders than it is to discern threat.

unsung said:

Are you serious?
    No.

Question time. Great!

To some degree I would agree. But you would also have to agree that in the moment, exercising too much patience might cost you your life.

We sit on the sidelines and speak to this topic. It's easy to armchair quarterback.

I'd say this: it's far easier to comply with simple orders than it is to discern threat.
    The officer has to do one of those things, a black man is stuck doing both at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.