Police abuse

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,862
    edited July 2016

pjalive21 said:

g under p said:

Some police statistics for the first 6 months of 2016........

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/07/05/3794553/police-killings-2016/

Peace

1. race can be thrown out of this whole debate with those stats that came from a liberal website at that

2. that's a lot of people killed at the hands of police for whatever reason, but im sure between my city and Chicago the murder rate makes that small

Good god. It is that hard to see that there is a racism problem with law enforcement? Our resident cop is a perfect example...
    He's not a cop.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,169
    dignin said:

pjalive21 said:

g under p said:

Peace

1. race can be thrown out of this whole debate with those stats that came from a liberal website at that

2. that's a lot of people killed at the hands of police for whatever reason, but im sure between my city and Chicago the murder rate makes that small

More info, please take the time to look at this

https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/police-killing-of-blacks/
    Those stats puts things in better perspective.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited July 2016
    g under p said:

dignin said:

pjalive21 said:

g under p said:

Peace

Those stats puts things in better perspective.

Peace

They sure do.

But cognitive bias being what it is the stats will be dismissed as being too liberally biased. It's funny how stats usually do have a liberal bias.
  • dignin said:

pjalive21 said:

g under p said:

Peace

I've looked at these statistics.

Shocking how many white people have been killed- we never really hear of these.

There is a disproportionate amount of blacks killed than whites when considering population percentages, however I'd ask the following:

Do any factors such as socioeconomic status factor in to the victim base or are you suggesting these statistics point directly at racist cops?
    "My brain's a good brain!"

dignin said:

pjalive21 said:

g under p said:

Peace

There is a disproportionate amount of blacks killed than whites when considering population percentages, however I'd ask the following:

Do any factors such as socioeconomic status factor in to the victim base or are you suggesting these statistics point directly at racist cops?
    I think the governor of Minnesota had a good point. Do you honestly believe that yesterdays shooting would have happened if the couple in that car was white?

• dignin said:

dignin said:

pjalive21 said:

g under p said:

Peace

I think the governor of Minnesota had a good point. Do you honestly believe that yesterdays shooting would have happened if the couple in that car was white?

That doesn't answer my question.
    Also, there is plenty of scientific evidence to show that cops (and anyone) are quicker to pull the trigger on black men than white.

This is no longer a debate as far as I'm concerned.

Correll, J. (2009). Racial bias in the decision to shoot? The Police Chief, 54-58.

This article reviews a Chicago study and two Denver studies that assessed how community participants compared to trained police officers in shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, where the race of the armed or unarmed target was manipulated. The researchers measured reaction time (time to make the decision to shoot or not) and errors. All three studies revealed that community participants consistently exhibited racial bias, so that a lower criterion to shoot was applied to Black targets compared to White targets. Like the community sample, the researchers found that police officers exhibited pronounced racial bias when reaction time was measured. However, importantly, officers showed no bias in terms of errors. That is, ultimately the officers made the right decision and were not impacted by race. The researchers attribute this finding for the officers to frequent, high quality, role play (e.g., Simunitions, computer scenarios) training in the use of force that can serve to extinguish the race-crime implicit bias for force decisions. [This article reviews Correll et al., 2007]

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., & Wittenbrink, B. (2002). The police officer’s dilemma: Using ethnicity to disambiguate potentially threatening individuals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83(6), 1314-1329.

In this study, the researchers use a videogame to test the affect race has on shoot/don’t shoot decisions when there are African American and White targets holding guns or holding various non-threatening objects. Participants were told to “shoot” the armed targets and “not shoot” unarmed targets. In terms of response time, participants were quicker to shoot the armed African American than the armed White. Conversely the participants were quicker to “not shoot” the unarmed White. The most common errors were shooting the unarmed African American and not-shooting the armed White. All of these results are consistent with a Black-crime implicit bias and this bias was found in both African American and White participants.

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., Wittenbrink, B., & Sadler, M.S. (2007). Across the thin blue line: Police officers and racial bias in the decision to shoot. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92(6), 1006-1023.

In this replicated study, Correll and colleagues compare police officers to community members on their speed and accuracy with simulated decisions to shoot/don’t shoot Black and White armed/unarmed targets. Both the police and community samples exhibited robust racial bias when the researchers analyzed speed of decision making. With regard to accuracy, the officers’ decisions were “less susceptible to racial bias (p.1022).” The authors link the superior officer result to high quality police use-of-force training.

http://www.fairimpartialpolicing.com/bias/
  • So Dignin... you're responding that you believe the disproportionate kill rates are directly related to racist cops. Okay. I've heard you loud and clear.

Here's another question: do you feel racists become cops? Or do you feel cops become racists?

If you feel cops become racists... can you offer any reasons why that might be the case?
    edited July 2016

So Dignin... you're responding that you believe the disproportionate kill rates are directly related to racist cops. Okay. I've heard you loud and clear.

Here's another question: do you feel racists become cops? Or do you feel cops become racists?

If you feel cops become racists... can you offer any reasons why that might be the case?

It's not about what I believe, it's about what the science tells us. The science is clear, unless you have some data that says different.

I have no answers to your questions.

Edit: I haven't gotten an answer from you about the white vs. black couple question.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Yah. Okay. You've presented the data. Now your job is to make sense of it. If you haven't bothered to think about the factors that drive the data... then I'd suggest you probably shouldn't present it.

With that said... I think you have thought about it given the context for what you have presented. Stand behind your beliefs, Dignin. Or don't knock Godfather, Musky and PJFan whom all do no matter what you think of what they believe. You think cops are racist and that is the major reason for the 'disproportion'.

* As to your question, I guess I'd need to know what events led to the shooting.

The statistics you offered detail the fact that the majority of people killed by cops in any circumstance are white (as disproportionate as they might be).

So, if the white guy was, say, reaching for a gun... and the cop had received information prior to approaching the vehicle after running the plates that the white guy was a gang member... I'd say the white cut and the black guy would be in the same boat.

Yah. Okay. You've presented the data. Now your job is to make sense of it. If you haven't bothered to think about the factors that drive the data... then I'd suggest you probably shouldn't present it.

With that said... I think you have thought about it given the context for what you have presented. Stand behind your beliefs, Dignin. Or don't knock Godfather, Musky and PJFan whom all do no matter what you think of what they believe. You think cops are racist and that is the major reason for the 'disproportion'.

* As to your question, I guess I'd need to know what events led to the shooting.

The statistics you offered detail the fact that the majority of people killed by cops in any circumstance are white (as disproportionate as they might be).

So, if the white guy was, say, reaching for a gun... and the cop had received information prior to approaching the vehicle after running the plates that the white guy was a gang member... I'd say the white cut and the black guy would be in the same boat.

Not a surprise that you avoid the question and ignore the data (see above, maybe you missed it...I will give you a hint...it has to do with trigger times and race). Instead you have come up with some magical hypothetical situation to fit your view.

And why are you bringing up other posters here? What does that have to do with this discussion? Have I brought them up? Maybe stick to the topic. You almost always try and make things personal on this forum. It's pretty weak shit, but not a surprise.
  • Give me a break.

I answered your question: I said they'd be in the same boat- suffer the same fate.

I need to know a little more before I'm ready to answer your 'hypothetical question' with my 'hypothetical response' (that you mock me for).

And you're talking about weak shit?

You routinely knock those folks for their beliefs. And then when pressed for your beliefs that you try and toss out there without the conviction to stand behind them... you tuck tail.

Again... you talk about weak shit?
    Police Shootings Won't Stop Unless We Also Stop Shaking Down Black People

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/police-shootings-traffic-stops-excessive-fines

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,311
    dignin said:

This is very true. Cops all around stop too much, create reasons for confrontation. And it happens far more often to African Americans.

A good first step would be for police to stop a abusing their power to begin a confrontation.

The poor African American community certainly hasn't helped their case by glorifying guns, killing each other, and the men fathering far too many kids by numerous partners. But all of that, while terrible, doesn't justify police using guns and killing people that clearly do not pose a threat. The cops have been going into situations assuming the worst of people. They are making decisions about who lives and who dies in a very cavalier manner.

And just like I believe the Muslim community must become far more vocal and lead the fight against extremists....I think the good cops out their should stop defending cops that abuse their power. And the African American community must step up, fix their family problem, and stop making their kids think having a gun and pulling a trigger makes them tough and strong.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • dignin said:

This is very true. Cops all around stop too much, create reasons for confrontation. And it happens far more often to African Americans.

A good first step would be for police to stop a abusing their power to begin a confrontation.

The poor African American community certainly hasn't helped their case by glorifying guns, killing each other, and the men fathering far too many kids by numerous partners. But all of that, while terrible, doesn't justify police using guns and killing people that clearly do not pose a threat. The cops have been going into situations assuming the worst of people. They are making decisions about who lives and who dies in a very cavalier manner.

And just like I believe the Muslim community must become far more vocal and lead the fight against extremists....I think the good cops out their should stop defending cops that abuse their power. And the African American community must step up, fix their family problem, and stop making their kids think having a gun and pulling a trigger makes them tough and strong.
    Oh baby
    You got the Liberal Pearl Jam fans singing with that post.
    Kumbaya

dignin said:

Good post. Ignore the trolls response.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
    Here is what the current POTUS said about this
    What’s clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents,” he said. “They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve.”

edit - https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/07/07/minnesota-cop-shoots-and-kills-black-man-after-pulling-car-over.html
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
    dignin said:

dignin said:

I think that's the first time someone has labeled me a liberal around these parts ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

dignin said:

dignin said:

I think that's the first time someone has labeled me a liberal around these parts ;)
    Haha. You're badge is in the mail. There's no going back.
    Now police being shot at a protest. Damn people are fucking stupid. Wrong after a wrong.

hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,121
    Yeah this will put a lockdown on protest I bet they will not be allowed after tonight ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    dignin said:

Also, there is plenty of scientific evidence to show that cops (and anyone) are quicker to pull the trigger on black men than white.

Correll, J. (2009). Racial bias in the decision to shoot? The Police Chief, 54-58.

This article reviews a Chicago study and two Denver studies that assessed how community participants compared to trained police officers in shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, where the race of the armed or unarmed target was manipulated. The researchers measured reaction time (time to make the decision to shoot or not) and errors. All three studies revealed that community participants consistently exhibited racial bias, so that a lower criterion to shoot was applied to Black targets compared to White targets. Like the community sample, the researchers found that police officers exhibited pronounced racial bias when reaction time was measured. However, importantly, officers showed no bias in terms of errors. That is, ultimately the officers made the right decision and were not impacted by race. The researchers attribute this finding for the officers to frequent, high quality, role play (e.g., Simunitions, computer scenarios) training in the use of force that can serve to extinguish the race-crime implicit bias for force decisions. [This article reviews Correll et al., 2007]

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., & Wittenbrink, B. (2002). The police officer’s dilemma: Using ethnicity to disambiguate potentially threatening individuals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83(6), 1314-1329.

In this study, the researchers use a videogame to test the affect race has on shoot/don’t shoot decisions when there are African American and White targets holding guns or holding various non-threatening objects. Participants were told to “shoot” the armed targets and “not shoot” unarmed targets. In terms of response time, participants were quicker to shoot the armed African American than the armed White. Conversely the participants were quicker to “not shoot” the unarmed White. The most common errors were shooting the unarmed African American and not-shooting the armed White. All of these results are consistent with a Black-crime implicit bias and this bias was found in both African American and White participants.

Correll, J., Park, B., Judd, C.M., Wittenbrink, B., & Sadler, M.S. (2007). Across the thin blue line: Police officers and racial bias in the decision to shoot. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92(6), 1006-1023.

In this replicated study, Correll and colleagues compare police officers to community members on their speed and accuracy with simulated decisions to shoot/don’t shoot Black and White armed/unarmed targets. Both the police and community samples exhibited robust racial bias when the researchers analyzed speed of decision making. With regard to accuracy, the officers’ decisions were “less susceptible to racial bias (p.1022).” The authors link the superior officer result to high quality police use-of-force training.

There seem to be two things going on this study: speed in deciding to shoot, and correct judgment in deciding to shoot. There is racial bias in speed of decision. There is no racial bias in correct judgment. Am I reading _both_ aspects of the study correctly?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2016
    dignin said:

What I find interesting in the article that you posted is this quote:
    "All of these results are consistent with a Black-crime implicit bias and this bias was found in both African American and White participants."
    I feel like that is monumental. Makes me wonder if both, black and white, cops experience a higher threat level when confronting black individuals resulting in them being quicker to draw and fire upon them. Is there a higher rate of resisting arrest among black individuals vs white that creates more anxiety when dealing with the different individuals from different demographics? Seems to be driven by experience...or do black people become racist against other black people when they join the force?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    dignin said:

If my parents named me "Right Taillight" I'd probably turn to crime too.
  • dignin said:

Not that we should go at it again... I feel I need to add that these grave markers don't tell the person's whole story.

This political cartoon is an oversimplification and items such as these have done their part to inspire or motivate simple bastards like the ones in Dallas last night.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,169
    edited July 2016
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-video-shooting-dylan-noble-20160707-snap-story.html

Cellphone video showing Fresno police officers shooting an unarmed 19-year-old man lying on the ground at a gas station has sparked protests and prompted the FBI to launch an investigation.

The shooting, which occurred last month but generated debate this week after the video was made public, is the latest in a series of police use-of-force incidents caught on tape.

The video shows Dylan Noble lying on the ground on June 25 as two officers with their guns drawn stand feet away from him. As officers yell “Keep your hands up” and other commands, one shot is fired. Seconds later, a third officer approaches the pair, and another shot rings out. At one point during the video, Noble can be seen raising his arm and saying, “I’ve been shot.”

The witness video does not show the moments just before the fatal shooting. Two shots already had been fired at Noble before the recording began.

Police Chief Jerry Dyer told The Times on Thursday that Noble twice raised his shirt with his left hand and used his right hand to reach under his shirt into his waistband. The officers, he said, feared for their lives.

Officers warned Noble not to reach into his waistband because they believed he was trying to retrieve a firearm, Dyer said.

That’s when an officer fired two shots with his handgun. Those shots, he said, are not depicted in the witness video. The officer then fired another shot. A second officer delivered the fourth and final shot, one round from a shotgun.

With all that has happened of late this tragedy in Fresno apparently has been lost to most and it just recently happened. WLM as well, from this police which party was in a position of being a threat?

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

What I find interesting in the article that you posted is this quote:
    "All of these results are consistent with a Black-crime implicit bias and this bias was found in both African American and White participants."
    I feel like that is monumental. Makes me wonder if both, black and white, cops experience a higher threat level when confronting black individuals resulting in them being quicker to draw and fire upon them. Is there a higher rate of resisting arrest among black individuals vs white that creates more anxiety when dealing with the different individuals from different demographics? Seems to be driven by experience...or do black people become racist against other black people when they join the force?

I've always found that true. Picture this, imagine yourself walking through LA late at nigh in a rough neighborhood and turning down a small nearly empty street. On one side of the street is a 2 black guys, and on the other side are 2 whites. Which side do you walk down?
    Many people have this perception, not just cops. I know living in LA most of my life you associate most gangs with blacks or Mexicans and higher crime, and I'd walk down the side of the street with the two white guys every time.
    I've seen the stats of black arrested and in jail as proof of police misconduct, but isn't the more obvious answer that there is just more crime in those areas? Whens the last time you walked through a rich neighborhood in Santa Monica and got scared? But walk through south-central LA and you run to your car after the sun goes down. There is a perception of higher crime and confrontation because there is a larger of criminal activity in the under-developed minority neighborhoods. I'm not saying all blacks are violent gang members and white people are all good, but there is an undeniable higher level of crime in those areas.
    Look at Chicago and the record number of shootings, how many shooters were white and black?
    And if you bring in other statistics like lack of father's you often get labeled racist, but how is that not part of the problem? News anchors have lost their jobs after reporting the stats on single mother households in relation to crime, but that is obviously a contributing factor in my mind as well.
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2016
    From what I know, many black communities are struggling. There are a number of reasons for this. In particular, young males are being raised without a positive male role model: in many cases, dads are incarcerated or absentee.

What's troubling about the incarcerated dads is the fact that most of those incarcerations stem from drug offences. This is an area where we could definitely do better. With all we know... it makes no sense... absolutely no sense... to not legalize drugs.

Nation wide legalization offers the opportunity to generate jobs in labs, fields, shipping, processing, retail, regulation et al. Further, the tax revenues earned off drug sales and the tax dollars saved from placing drug users and sellers in jail offer the country an opportunity to redirect those funds into quality social programs that might stand a chance at correcting the current course the US is riding.

And... dads don't get arrested for their interest in marijuana.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on

From what I know, many black communities are struggling. There are a number of reasons for this. In particular, young males are being raised without a positive male role model: in many cases, dads are incarcerated or absentee.

What's troubling about the incarcerated dads is the fact that most of those incarcerations stem from drug offences. This is an area where we could definitely do better. With all we know... it makes no sense... absolutely no sense... to not legalize drugs.

Nation wide legalization offers the opportunity to generate jobs in labs, fields, shipping, processing, retail, regulation et al. Further, the tax revenues earned off drug sales and the tax dollars saved from placing drug users and sellers in jail offer the country an opportunity to redirect those funds into quality social programs that might stand a chance at correcting the current course the US is riding.

And... dads don't get arrested for their interest in marijuana.

Checked this out after seeing your other post. 100% agree. This would be a big step in the right direction. Incarceration for petty drug crimes has helped with breaking these communities and perpetuating violence.
This discussion has been closed.