Police abuse

Comments

• dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

1st degree murder charges and allegations of destroying video evidence. Protect and Serve. Themselves that is.

Edit to add AFTER A FUCKING YEAR!!! THIS CRIMINAL WITH A BADGE KEPT HIS JOB TIL NOW. And 8 other officers on scene at the time of the MURDER.

Hi Muskydan! !!! One of your buddies?

I saw the video.

I would speak to your timeline comment: the cops in the interior of British Columbia knew the identity of a mass murderer in our area- a f**king creepy loser that, frankly, deserved nothing but death. It took longer than a year for them to even arrest him- following due process to ensure the case was made and his rights were maintained.

Due process, Mickey. Not just for mass murderers, but for police too.

You can make many assumptions, but they have moved in the right direction. Isn't that enough for you? It doesn't seem to matter what departments do... it seems it's never enough.
    Are you talking about Pickton? Because if you are that's a terrible example. The cops were negligent in that case.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pickton-inquiry-slams-blatant-failures-by-police-1.1191108

That cop should have been suspended as soon as anyone of authority saw that video. The system doesn't get a pass for finally doing the right thing.

Nope.

The Picton case is an embarrassing example of police work. I'm talking about David Shearing.

I guess you would have preferred the other cops kick his ass on the spot, eh? Video footage doesn't trump due process. For example, video footage of a robbery or murder doesn't immediately place someone in prison.

I'd agree that it would have been wise to suspend this officer pending the outcome of an investigation.

What the f**k was he thinking? Wow.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    mickeyrat said:

1st degree murder charges and allegations of destroying video evidence. Protect and Serve. Themselves that is.

Edit to add AFTER A FUCKING YEAR!!! THIS CRIMINAL WITH A BADGE KEPT HIS JOB TIL NOW. And 8 other officers on scene at the time of the MURDER.

Hi Muskydan! !!! One of your buddies?

Mickey ,your last line is petty and classless.

Dan,pay no mind to that kind of stupid shit.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    http://chicagoreporter.com/how-chicago-tried-to-cover-up-a-police-execution/

Tell me again about how 99% of cops are good guys. This story plays out again and again, and police apologists brush it aside as anecdotal or unsubstantiated.
    We NEED oversight from the outside.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

Tell me again about how 99% of cops are good guys. This story plays out again and again, and police apologists brush it aside as anecdotal or unsubstantiated.

Stinky.

I agree that police departments need external regulation.
  • rgambs said:

You are right police need a better oversight in place. However why is there only outcry when a police officer does it? There have been over 2000 shot in Chicago. What has Rahm Emanuel done for the city. It is time the citizens take back the city from the crooks. It is time for the police and the city to work together.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II

rgambs said:

You are right police need a better oversight in place. However why is there only outcry when a police officer does it? There have been over 2000 shot in Chicago. What has Rahm Emanuel done for the city. It is time the citizens take back the city from the crooks. It is time for the police and the city to work together.
    Why is there protest over government spending and not private company spending?

There is absolutely ZERO comparison between civilian on civilian crime and government on civilian crime, for many many reasons that are incredibly obvious. I don't understand how intelligent people can think there is a comparison. Drawing that comparison is the trendy go-to for racists and extreme right wingers. I'm not calling you either thing, but you should know that's the company you keep.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

There is absolutely ZERO comparison between civilian on civilian crime and government on civilian crime, for many many reasons that are incredibly obvious. I don't understand how intelligent people can think there is a comparison. Drawing that comparison is the trendy go-to for racists and extreme right wingers. I'm not calling you either thing, but you should know that's the company you keep.
    Nice 'stick and move' tactic, RG.

Geezuz, man. So... in other words... you're saying: "You're not, but all those other guys that say what you say and believe what you believe are racist and extreme right wingers!"

And there actually can be a comparison if you're willing to look at the scope of the problem with a wide angled lens. You don't have one of those so I can understand the inherent challenges you face.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Geezuz, man. So... in other words... you're saying: "You're not, but all those other guys that say what you say and believe what you believe are racist and extreme right wingers!"

And there actually can be a comparison if you're willing to look at the scope of the problem with a wide angled lens. You don't have one of those so I can understand the inherent challenges you face.
    Hey, I don't dictate what circles a given opinion inhabits, I'm just pointing it out. Log in to Facebook, listen to Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, or the even loonier characters in talk radio, visit Stormfront...you will see this distraction technique pushed out there in copious amounts.

Instead of insulting me, why don't you explain how a civilian subject to the rule of law, who is representing his own self in his behavior is comparable to a representative of the government who is somewhat (mostly!) above the rule of law.
    The people are held accountable by the government. The government is held accountable by the people.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

So 1 cop, who should be fried, brings thousands to protest but, over 200 murdered and over 2000 wounded should just be another day in the news? Like I said maybe the protestors, who have every right to protest the slowness of this crime should also protest these asshats that are shooting up their homes.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

So 1 cop, who should be fried, brings thousands to protest but, over 200 murdered and over 2000 wounded should just be another day in the news? Like I said maybe the protestors, who have every right to protest the slowness of this crime should also protest these asshats that are shooting up their homes.
    They do

Fraternity Marches Through Ongoing Gang War To End Violence In Chicago
    Black lives always matter to black people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/alphas-in-the-streets-march_565364c2e4b0879a5b0be458
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Hey, I don't dictate what circles a given opinion inhabits, I'm just pointing it out. Log in to Facebook, listen to Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, or the even loonier characters in talk radio, visit Stormfront...you will see this distraction technique pushed out there in copious amounts.

Instead of insulting me, why don't you explain how a civilian subject to the rule of law, who is representing his own self in his behavior is comparable to a representative of the government who is somewhat (mostly!) above the rule of law.
    The people are held accountable by the government. The government is held accountable by the people.
    I have agreed with you numerous times (3 or 4 posts ago even) that the police should not police themselves and that they should be held accountable for any crime committed in the act of policing. Where we split hairs, it seems, is that I tend to lend benefit to the doubt in some cases where you tend to jump to conviction in most all cases.

This case? Murder. And... it would seem complicity. Unlike others, this seems like the type of case a nation of concerned citizens could get behind and use to demand meaningful change.

You asked for a comparison. Why don't you tell me how the victims are any different? How is the victim of a drive by shooting any different from the victim of a police homicide (other than the fact that the victim of a drive by shooting was minding their own business... while in the majority of police murders- including this last one by the way- the victim had committed a crime and was in some way non-compliant)?

What I'm prepared to concede is that in reality, outside of responsible leadership which is not at hand, the change you seek (and that we need) will only occur with expressing outrage in mass demonstrations. So, as lopsided as you are with your belief system... views like yours are critical at this point in time as a small part of the catalyst for the change effort.

I'm still on the fringe though. I recognize the problem, but I also cite the fact that the people we are rallying for are, for the most part, criminals. I'm just not big on criminals and never will be.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    A lunatic on PCP can be an incredibly scary thing for a cop and it's tough to stop them. Earlier this year, one of my best friends was responding to a call in a house in SW Philly (not a good place) in the middle of the night and was attacked by a dude on PCP. Threw her against a wall knocking her out and tearing her rotator cuff. Thankfully that is all that happened. I can understand this cop being scared scared in a similar situation.

That said, at the moment this dude was shot, he clearly was not a direct threat. A couple more steps perhaps, and 16 shots is absolutely insane, especially considering the majority of them were when he was on the ground.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,220
    16 fucking bullets. I shouldn't have watched that video. Just awful. Makes my stomach hurt. This kid wasn't just killed, he was fucking obliterated. Ugh....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

rgambs said:

Because the police are the police and criminals are criminals. When those hired to protect and serve kill and cover it up it's just a little worse.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    The police are the scape goats of our shitty society. Thankless job. Low pay. Not apologizing but every time a cop is put in dangerous situation we, the people helped create it.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,820
    callen said:

rgambs said:

Because the police are the police and criminals are criminals. When those hired to protect and serve kill and cover it up it's just a little worse.
    Yep, it may be a little worse. But the selective outrage is what drives me nuts. I'm sure it has been talked about around here but where are the protests for something like this? A fucking 9 year old kid murdered by some fucking animal.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/27/us/chicago-tyshawn-lee-arrest/

callen said:

rgambs said:

Yep, it may be a little worse. But the selective outrage is what drives me nuts. I'm sure it has been talked about around here but where are the protests for something like this? A fucking 9 year old kid murdered by some fucking animal.

What exactly would people protest?
    The point of a protest is to use your freedom of speech to seek redress or enact a change.
    What point would a protest of civilian crime have?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,857
    edited November 2015

callen said:

rgambs said:

What in the fuck would a protest against an arrested criminal achieve????
    Callen said it. The police are police and criminals are criminals. One we expect proper conduct from and they need to be held to that standard. Protests are meant to force change within their system, to expose and highlight wrongdoing wothin the system in order to obligate that system to improve because it's paid for by and is meant to protect the public.
    Protesting a jailed criminal sounds like one of the biggest wastes of time and energy of all time, lol. The authorities already know that murderous gang members need to be caught. So what would the protest be for? Would it be an attempt to ask murderers to cut it out because there are people asking for it at a rally that the criminals aren't even aware of? Pretty sure that would be ineffective, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

callen said:

rgambs said:

I brought this up also.Its not sexy (or hip and PC)to speak out about black on black violence.They can't blame the white cop when those folks are killed at the hands of another black member of the community.In fact I read that over 90% of all black folks killed in this country are killed by other black folks.Only like 2% is killed by whites and even less than that for cops.So maybe we should be looking at where the problem really is.
    edited November 2015
    You should look at this.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls#disablemobile

Disturbing, definitely. So what's the solution?? Obviously this has nothing to do with skin colour. So where do Americans need to focus? So far they can't et off the skin colour, and obviously that is doing nothing for anyone.

The stat that actually stands out most to me is the ratio of male murderers vs female. Seems to me that the REAL issue is men. Why aren't men trying to confront THAT rather than focusing on colour??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Daddy issues
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

You should look at this.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls#disablemobile

Disturbing, definitely. So what's tell solution?? Obviously this has nothing to do with skin colour. So where do Americans need to focus? So far they can't et off the skin colour, and obviously that is doing nothing for anyone.

The stat that actually stands out most to me is the ratio of male murderers vs female. Seems to me that the REAL issue is men. Why aren't men trying to confront THAT rather than focusing on colour??

What would be telling is to compare that data with population demographics.

The big problem isn't so much race as it is gender. F**king men. Just have to be violent.

Edit: I just noticed we said the same thing. I should have read your post more carefully. I suck. Upside to my suckage? We agree on something LOL!
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    rr165892 said:

Daddy issues

Pardon?
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

You should look at this.

Disturbing, definitely. So what's tell solution?? Obviously this has nothing to do with skin colour. So where do Americans need to focus? So far they can't et off the skin colour, and obviously that is doing nothing for anyone.

The big problem isn't so much race as it is gender. F**king men. Just have to be violent.
    Right. The real problem is men. So what are you people going to do about it? So far, the most common reaction seems to be a shrug if the shoulders and a crazy claim that men can't help it, which is obviously bullshit.
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You should look at this.

Right. The real problem is men. So what are you people going to do about it? So far, the most common reaction seems to be a shrug if the shoulders and a crazy claim that men can't help it, which is obviously bullshit.
    See my edited post. I'm an idiot.
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You should look at this.

See my edited post. I'm an idiot.
    Lol, no you're not. I could tell you missed my last paragraph, no worries.
    And I'm not sure if you noticed, but we actually agree on a semi-regular basis about stuff, when we're not disagreeing. ;)

But back to the gender thing.... I have tried to discuss this issue in the past but have been met by such shocking indifference and apathy that I keep dropping it until it comes up again. The biggest problem in the world is the very thing that everyone, and particularly the ones who are the only ones to help it, wants to ignore. That includes governments and other bodies involved in trying to make the world a safer place. It's incredibly vexing. I consider it the biggest story on the face of the planet and no one seems to give a shit. :disappointed:
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

Daddy issues

Pardon?
    I would be willing to bet a large majority of the men committing these murders,regardless of color have not had the positive influence or guidance of a powerful father figure in their lives.This is epidemic in some of our more ethnic communities.This is fact.
    edited November 2015
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

Daddy issues

Pardon?
    I would be willing to bet a large majority of the men committing these murders,regardless of color have not had the positive influence or guidance of a powerful father figure in their lives.This is epidemic in some of our more ethnic communities.This is fact.
    Can I please see your research?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

I brought this up also.Its not sexy (or hip and PC)to speak out about black on black violence.They can't blame the white cop when those folks are killed at the hands of another black member of the community.In fact I read that over 90% of all black folks killed in this country are killed by other black folks.Only like 2% is killed by whites and even less than that for cops.So maybe we should be looking at where the problem really is.
    Start another thread about that then.
    dignin said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

Start another thread about that then.
    Dig,do we really need another thread about another like subject with the same posters weighing in for and against just like all the previous threads on the similar topic?
This discussion has been closed.