Police abuse

Comments

• ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

The daily news reported that she was recently orphaned and living in foster care.

How lucky am I.
    Not sure if sarcasm or genuine gratitude.
    Oh genuine.

Not a black female orphaned in America then body slammed by cop. Shit I'd have a freakin attitude as well. And good ole accepting society just fked her some more. No understanding or love. Last thing she needed was this.

Yeah yeah yeah "she's got same opportunities as I, just pull up the ole boot straps and be responsible." Fk

Oh Last part, sarcasm. The haves have not a fkn clue.
    Her personal situation is poor, but that doesn't give her a license to act like an asshole.

I do feel badly that things came to what they did, but discounting personal responsibility in this matter is not prudent. You could make an excuse for every sad, twisted, and unfortunate story we have discussed on this forum.
    You mean the personal responsibility of the dude 2x her size that body slammed her right.

I have to say, now that I know why her parents weren't called I understand why the police were called, and I still disagree with the decision. They should've called her social worker.
    So it would have been okay for a feeble little weak cop to come in and flail away?

Sometimes people use the situation to their advantage. In this particular case, the girl might have acted brazenly thinking nobody was going to do anything about her belligerent behaviour. She pushed too far. As I have said... once the cops were called and on scene... the gig was up. She was even given a chance by the cop to leave without resorting to force and she refused.

I know some are suggesting that incrementally... inch by inch... authorities needed to escalate their level of intervention. Some are even suggesting doing nothing at all. With her resistance... force was inevitable. And with that said... as badly as it looked... she wasn't hurt (until, of course, after she talked to civil rights lawyers).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

The daily news reported that she was recently orphaned and living in foster care.

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

Not a black female orphaned in America then body slammed by cop. Shit I'd have a freakin attitude as well. And good ole accepting society just fked her some more. No understanding or love. Last thing she needed was this.

Yeah yeah yeah "she's got same opportunities as I, just pull up the ole boot straps and be responsible." Fk

Her personal situation is poor, but that doesn't give her a license to act like an asshole.

I do feel badly that things came to what they did, but discounting personal responsibility in this matter is not prudent. You could make an excuse for every sad, twisted, and unfortunate story we have discussed on this forum.
    You mean the personal responsibility of the dude 2x her size that body slammed her right.

I have to say, now that I know why her parents weren't called I understand why the police were called, and I still disagree with the decision. They should've called her social worker.
    So it would have been okay for a feeble little weak cop to come in and flail away?

Sometimes people use the situation to their advantage. In this particular case, the girl might have acted brazenly thinking nobody was going to do anything about her belligerent behaviour. She pushed too far. As I have said... once the cops were called and on scene... the gig was up. She was even given a chance by the cop to leave without resorting to force and she refused.

I know some are suggesting that incrementally... inch by inch... authorities needed to escalate their level of intervention. Some are even suggesting doing nothing at all. With her resistance... force was inevitable. And with that said... as badly as it looked... she wasn't hurt (until, of course, after she talked to civil rights lawyers).
    A feeble weak little cop wouldn't have been able to successfully flail away. I'm not suggesting that it is okay for anyone to fling that girl around in that situation. I am suggesting that an adult human person, particularly an adult human person in a position of authority, should exorcise better judgement than a grieving teenager whose life has just been upended and is probably in a fucked up headspace.

To be perfectly clear, I'm of the probably unpopular opinion that there are circumstances in which police acting violently against a civilian is justified. However this situation did not call for the violence that that was used. Remember the one a few months ago where the cops were busting up a pool party and one of them flipped out and tossed a teenage girl in a bikini on the ground and sat on her woke screaming at her? You gonna tell me you're not getting deja vu here? There is clearly a systemic anger & violence issue within the institution of the police force.

And yes, the girl was wrong-her behavior was wrong, but the response to her behavior was worse - so much worse in fact that it does turn the tables and switch her from aggressor to victim.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • I hope one day all Police will have direct consult with the folks in this thread while enroute to a call.
    What a world it would be.

I hope one day all Police will have direct consult with the folks in this thread while enroute to a call.
    What a world it would be.

I think it would be better if the small percentage of police who use excessive force would use better judgement instead. Or get replaced.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

A feeble weak little cop wouldn't have been able to successfully flail away. I'm not suggesting that it is okay for anyone to fling that girl around in that situation. I am suggesting that an adult human person, particularly an adult human person in a position of authority, should exorcise better judgement than a grieving teenager whose life has just been upended and is probably in a fucked up headspace.

To be perfectly clear, I'm of the probably unpopular opinion that there are circumstances in which police acting violently against a civilian is justified. However this situation did not call for the violence that that was used. Remember the one a few months ago where the cops were busting up a pool party and one of them flipped out and tossed a teenage girl in a bikini on the ground and sat on her woke screaming at her? You gonna tell me you're not getting deja vu here? There is clearly a systemic anger & violence issue within the institution of the police force.

And yes, the girl was wrong-her behavior was wrong, but the response to her behavior was worse - so much worse in fact that it does turn the tables and switch her from aggressor to victim.
    How was the cop to know what you crossed out?

Honestly, I agreed with Callen somewhere in this thread that it was an unfair position to place the cop in. Given all we know... reflecting now... the school officials should be on trial here more than the officer.

And again... she was unceremoniously dumped from her desk, but she wasn't hurt. If she had her neck broken or a dislocated shoulder... this might actually be the issue some have made it out to be. Don't forget she resisted physically as well. You can downplay her resistance, but to the officer... why should he play that game?

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

Honestly, I agreed with Callen somewhere in this thread that it was an unfair position to place the cop in. Given all we know... reflecting now... the school officials should be on trial here more than the officer.

And again... she was unceremoniously dumped from her desk, but she wasn't hurt. If she had her neck broken or a dislocated shoulder... this might actually be the issue some have made it out to be. Don't forget she resisted physically as well. You can downplay her resistance, but to the officer... why should he play that game?
    That's why I crossed it out. There was no way for him to know, unless he'd been informed by the two or three people who tried dealing with her before he was called, which is possible, but we can't know for sure. Either way I maintain that her acs caseworker should've been called. They're trained to deal with kids acting out. Cops aren't. The school admin would have to have been aware of her guardianship situation, so there's really no excuse there.

And she was tossed across the floor after being dumped back on her desk. Maybe no broken bones but the girl was hurt.
  • ^^^
    If the case worker was on the ball he/she would've been on scene.
    This festered at all levels until police were called.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

^^^

Why? Is the case worker supposed to be psychic? Or are they supposed to shadow all of their clients every day?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ^^^

Why? Is the case worker supposed to be psychic? Or are they supposed to shadow all of their clients every day?
    You would think it came with the job of being a case worker.
    Stay with the case.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

^^^

Stay with the case.

^^^

Stay with the case.

^^^

Stay with the case.

^^^

Stay with the case.
    If you must stay with each of several dozen or possibly several hundred kids each day, you will soon be a basket case worker.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

Speechless.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • callen said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

Speechless.
    Well that would be a first.

Why not toss out one of the classics.

'The haves have not a clue' is an oldie but a goody.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    So much hate.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,169
    Veteran cop whose mysterious death sparked a massive manhunt 'faked a chase - then killed himself because he was suspected of using police money to buy vacations'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3302697/Investigators-discuss-new-information-officers-death.html#ixzz3qX6XtfYV

Some are refusing to believe this...

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

Veteran cop whose mysterious death sparked a massive manhunt 'faked a chase - then killed himself because he was suspected of using police money to buy vacations'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3302697/Investigators-discuss-new-information-officers-death.html#ixzz3qX6XtfYV

Some are refusing to believe this...

Peace

This is what annoys me more than anything. There is a mentality that I've witnessed where it's "you're either with us or against us" with the cops. There is zero room for criticism, and the PD can do no wrong. I saw something the other day that several PDs are boycotting the new Tarantino movie because it's "anti-cop" and calling him a "cop hater".
  • There is middle ground.

There are many opponents of the police who frequent these boards that will never, under any circumstances I have seen, take a viewpoint that offers the officer in question the benefit of the doubt. In many cases, they are lightning quick to hang the officer and even when it has been established the officer was in the right... they still refuse to budge from their erroneous position (the Brown case is a classic).

These opponents are just as flawed in their approach as the police 'apologists' (the moniker they love) are on the other side of the issue.

Of course, there are some who defend the police regardless of circumstances. I have read posts and heard dialogue where people have seemed to have lent complete confidence and trust to the police (defending the officers in the Rice case for example).

I guess I probably lean towards the 'apologist' side, but I like to think I'm in the middle more than what some might care to acknowledge. I've been very critical of the cop in the Rice and the cops in the Thomas incident to name a couple higher profile ones. I recently stated the cops in the recent sexual abuse case needed to be charged as rapists. I realize I have been very outspoken defending other cops- to varying degrees and to offer a position contrary to popular opinion at times.

Likewise, I feel people need to own their behaviours. Real life isn't elementary school. At some point, adults (or young adults for that matter) need to think like one. If a cop makes a reasonable request like exit the classroom or quit walking down the middle of the street... just do it.

There is middle ground.

There are many opponents of the police who frequent these boards that will never, under any circumstances I have seen, take a viewpoint that offers the officer in question the benefit of the doubt. In many cases, they are lightning quick to hang the officer and even when it has been established the officer was in the right... they still refuse to budge from their erroneous position (the Brown case is a classic).

These opponents are just as flawed in their approach as the police 'apologists' (the moniker they love) are on the other side of the issue.

Of course, there are some who defend the police regardless of circumstances. I have read posts and heard dialogue where people have seemed to have lent complete confidence and trust to the police (defending the officers in the Rice case for example).

I guess I probably lean towards the 'apologist' side, but I like to think I'm in the middle more than what some might care to acknowledge. I've been very critical of the cop in the Rice and the cops in the Thomas incident to name a couple higher profile ones. I recently stated the cops in the recent sexual abuse case needed to be charged as rapists. I realize I have been very outspoken defending other cops- to varying degrees and to offer a position contrary to popular opinion at times.

Likewise, I feel people need to own their behaviours. Real life isn't elementary school. At some point, adults (or young adults for that matter) need to think like one. If a cop makes a reasonable request like exit the classroom or quit walking down the middle of the street... just do it.

Well that's the issue right there isn't it? If you say that the girl should've left the class when she was told to, (which yes, she should've) then it's easy to think you're blaming her for what that cop did to her, or implying he didn't have a choice but to be violent cuz she didn't do what he said. Which is bullshit, cuz she should've left when she was told, should've not been fucking with her phone in class just like the cop should've not tossed her around like a rag doll, just like the school admin should've not called the cops in the first place.
    There's plenty of room for everyone to be wrong in that case lol
  • ldent42 said:

There is middle ground.

Well that's the issue right there isn't it? If you say that the girl should've left the class when she was told to, (which yes, she should've) then it's easy to think you're blaming her for what that cop did to her, or implying he didn't have a choice but to be violent cuz she didn't do what he said. Which is bullshit, cuz she should've left when she was told, should've not been fucking with her phone in class just like the cop should've not tossed her around like a rag doll, just like the school admin should've not called the cops in the first place.
    There's plenty of room for everyone to be wrong in that case lol
    I agree. There were many here that acted poorly, but the source of the problem lies with the young woman:

She shouldn't have been on her phone.
    She should have gotten off her phone.
    She should have given up her phone when asked to give it up.
    She should have left the class when directed to by the teacher.
    She should have left the class when administration asked her to leave.
    She should have left the class when the officer asked her to leave.
    She should not have physically resisted when the officer attempted to engage her.

She had plenty of opportunity to prevent this situation from escalating, but chose to have the situation escalate. At any point in that continuum, she could have hopped off the escalating situation and be no worse for the wear. As it stands... she didn't and was tossed out of her desk to the ground without harm (outside of a bruise or two maybe). I don't think the cop should have laid a trail of smarties out the door as a policing tactic.
    I think the problem is you're dehumanizing that girl cuz you can only identify with the cop. It's been mentioned here already a simple solution should've been to carry or drag the student in the desk out of the room. She did not make the choice to be tossed out of her ask and the mocroaggression of "unarmed besides possibly a bruise or two" is not okay. You're also effectively stating that a teenager should be the responsible adult in the situation if she doesn't want to get tossed around. That is not okay.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,465

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

so the extent of the person's injuries is all what we should be concerned about when discussing conduct? she easily could have had her neck broken from what was done, had she fallen a few inches either way.

we shouldn't base appropriate/inappropriate response simply on the effect it had on someone. it should be based on the behaviour ONLY.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• ldent42 said:

I think the problem is you're dehumanizing that girl cuz you can only identify with the cop. It's been mentioned here already a simple solution should've been to carry or drag the student in the desk out of the room. She did not make the choice to be tossed out of her ask and the mocroaggression of "unarmed besides possibly a bruise or two" is not okay. You're also effectively stating that a teenager should be the responsible adult in the situation if she doesn't want to get tossed around. That is not okay.

I haven't dehumanized her in any way. Get serious, man.

You're effectively excusing her belligerence. That is not okay.
  • ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

so the extent of the person's injuries is all what we should be concerned about when discussing conduct? she easily could have had her neck broken from what was done, had she fallen a few inches either way.

we shouldn't base appropriate/inappropriate response simply on the effect it had on someone. it should be based on the behaviour ONLY.

Any physical force deployed by a cop performing cop duties might result in an injury. Are you suggesting cops never use force?

If I was the cop, I wouldn't have resorted to such a maneuver. But I wasn't the cop. If he had pepper sprayed her, slapped her, or beat her with his baton... this would be a serious issue. As it stands... it's a minor one.

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

Any physical force deployed by a cop performing cop duties might result in an injury. Are you suggesting cops never use force?

If I was the cop, I wouldn't have resorted to such a maneuver. But I wasn't the cop. If he had pepper sprayed her, slapped her, or beat her with his baton... this would be a serious issue. As it stands... it's a minor one.
    um, obviously they have to use force. I was merely commenting on the fact that you said it wasn't a big deal because she wasn't hurt. Look at the footage again. she easily could have been VERY hurt by that.

I still can't see, from the video that I've seen, is the girl hitting, or at least, swiping at him first. Honestly, if that is true, I think his actions/force were justified. You don't physically fuck with a cop. EVER.

www.headstonesband.com

• ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

um, obviously they have to use force. I was merely commenting on the fact that you said it wasn't a big deal because she wasn't hurt. Look at the footage again. she easily could have been VERY hurt by that.

I still can't see, from the video that I've seen, is the girl hitting, or at least, swiping at him first. Honestly, if that is true, I think his actions/force were justified. You don't physically fuck with a cop. EVER.

It was established that she did 'flail' at the officer.

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

How lucky am I.
    Oh genuine.

It was established that she did 'flail' at the officer.
    I know it's been "established" that she did. I'm saying I haven't seen it in the video I saw.

www.headstonesband.com

I'm not excusing her belligerence. I've said over and over and over that she was wrong. But her being wrong did not justify that officer's response. So much else could have been done.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,862
    edited November 2015
    ldent42 said:

I'm not excusing her belligerence. I've said over and over and over that she was wrong. But her being wrong did not justify that officer's response. So much else could have been done.

And that is where most of these problems stem from. Most police abuse is not just a cop completely going nuts and attacking innocent people. It is usually a cop not acting appropriately given the specific situation. The offending cops simply neglect to use constraint. Too often, they fail to consider all possibilities and then choose the best option that will minimize harm. I feel like this is mostly due to the fact that the type of people who are becoming cops are inappropriate for the role, but also due to inadequate training. Everything I just said is about problem cops, not all cops.
    I wish that police forces would focus more on the kind of person each recruit is, and would reject those who don't meet high expectations. I think they need to focus more on the intellectuality of potential officers, and specifically try harder to weed out the ones who lack the intellect to empathize with the public on different levels, to properly evaluate situations, and to use restraint in tense situations. I think they should pay particular attention to recruits who display that 'Rambo' type of attitude without matching it with a certain level of intellect and social awareness. I also think that cops should be paid more, generally (I know some places pay way more than others) in order to attract a bigger, better pool of people to choose from, so that forces aren't forced to take in a bunch of fucking aggro-yokels.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ldent42 said:

There was plenty done up to that point in time. While I would agree that this could have been handled better... there were plenty of exit points for the young lady to take advantage of which she failed to- insisting on escalating the problem.

ldent42 said:

There was plenty done up to that point in time. While I would agree that this could have been handled better... there were plenty of exit points for the young lady to take advantage of which she failed to- insisting on escalating the problem.
    Again with the microaggressions . I think you don't even realize you are doing it, which is scary. The "young lady" is a teenager. She is allowed to be an asshole. That's why adults are in charge of teenagers, to teach them not to be assholes once their brain finishes developing and their hormones even out. This particular teenager had even more cause to act like an asshole, which I'm not including in this cuz it's already been established that we don't know if the cop was aware of it or not. A teenager being an asshole (unless they're being a violent asshole) should not be met with violence from an adult authority figure. Because adults are supposed to know better than teenagers. She was not "insisting on escalating the problem" that is just outright victim blaming, and it's framing the narrative to be impossible for the adults involved to have responsibility for what occurred, because her actions dictate the situation, which should not be the case given she's the teenager.

PJSoul, you think intellect is necessary for empathy? I agree with your entire point I've just found this intriguing cuz I've never thought of it that way. I will have to reflect on this a bit.
  • ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Again with the microaggressions . I think you don't even realize you are doing it, which is scary. The "young lady" is a teenager. She is allowed to be an asshole. That's why adults are in charge of teenagers, to teach them not to be assholes once their brain finishes developing and their hormones even out. This particular teenager had even more cause to act like an asshole, which I'm not including in this cuz it's already been established that we don't know if the cop was aware of it or not. A teenager being an asshole (unless they're being a violent asshole) should not be met with violence from an adult authority figure. Because adults are supposed to know better than teenagers. She was not "insisting on escalating the problem" that is just outright victim blaming, and it's framing the narrative to be impossible for the adults involved to have responsibility for what occurred, because her actions dictate the situation, which should not be the case given she's the teenager.

PJSoul, you think intellect is necessary for empathy? I agree with your entire point I've just found this intriguing cuz I've never thought of it that way. I will have to reflect on this a bit.
    1. You have said she was not "insisting on escalating the problem" which is interesting.

She became indignant and defiant over a modest request that fell within the learning parameters set by the school. With each new intervention aimed at fixing the problem she had created... the problem was becoming more serious. By her defiance... she allowed the problem to escalate. So, yes Ident42... she was a rather large player in this entire event's escalation to the point where police were called to handle it (a questionable tactic on the part of the school).

2. You used the term 'victim blaming' (the new buzzword around here... you've been reading!).

Well... duh... yah. I am laying the majority of responsibility for this problem on her- it's her problem. I've also expressed the officer's actions seemed excessive and that the school needed to deal with this without calling the police, but these are their problems to which they can face. Their actions don't minimize her passive aggressive, confrontational and defiant attitude towards the school's authority- something schools are losing badly in recent times.

I know there are some around here that think the schools should have no authority (or cops, or government, or...). I'm not one of these people.

3. Her situation is one that did warrant special attention. The school, understanding her unique situation, should have not called the police. They should have been more sympathetic to her emotional state and called some staff member the girl associated with in a positive way to help diffuse the situation.

But a cop was called and I think once that has been done, as I've said, the gig is up. The school went for the hammer when it could have been more gentle.

* Your veiled insult has been noted by me (it wasn't as clever as you think).

This discussion has been closed.