Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,857

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

If you have empathy you are less judgmental.

I think you're thinking of sympathy, not empathy.
    No empathy.
    Would you like to explain your thought process on that? It's OT so I don't wanna press, but I am curious as to your reasoning because I don't see it.
    ldent42 said:

callen said:

ldent42 said:

callen said:

If you have empathy you are less judgmental.

I think you're thinking of sympathy, not empathy.
    No empathy.
    Would you like to explain your thought process on that? It's OT so I don't wanna press, but I am curious as to your reasoning because I don't see it.
    On topic though had this thought thinking about a young man in office that was given 4 year degree to good college, given job at top corporation recruited out of college, had strong family, never hungry or cold yet walking with him on streets of city and he made disparaging remarks on the homeless.

So thought of the student/cop confrontation and just reinforced how I saw her differently from some of my fellow train members.

I saw a minor, a female, an adolescent, in difficult environment(school), African American, likely poor (yes she had a fkn cell phone) not included in the American dream rebelling. I see her struggles and can't imagine how all that must suck. Then the man, a WHITE COP, coming in and laying his hand on her. Empathy. Using wrong definition?
    The situation you depict is unfairly laid at the cop's feet.

Society is a whole is responsible for the problems you lament. The cop was being a cop. Yes... seemingly excessive... but we don't train our cops to be social workers: we train them to be problem solvers and we place upon them the most challenging problems.

He did give her one last chance before resorting to forceful tactics. As I've said... the gig was up. There was no need for her to die on the sword- she had made her point long before.
    The question at hand though is does that qualify as empathy or sympathy? The privileged man disparaging the homeless was clearly lacking empathy. But does callen's perspective of the student qualify as empathy or sympathy? I'd say it's hard to tell.
    I think it's a successful blend of both.

As a side... you can empathize or sympathize with the girl and still be critical of her behaviour.
    Yes, of course. Just like you can feel sorry for yourself but still acknowledge that you did something stupid to cause whatever it is you feel bad about.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/us/louisiana-child-shooting-officers-arrested/index.html

Officers arrested in shooting death of 6-year-old boy in Louisiana

"We took some of the body cam footage. I'm not gonna talk about it, but I'm gonna tell you this -- it is the most disturbing thing I've seen and I will leave it at that," Edmonson said Friday night.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/us/louisiana-child-shooting-officers-arrested/index.html

Officers arrested in shooting death of 6-year-old boy in Louisiana

"We took some of the body cam footage. I'm not gonna talk about it, but I'm gonna tell you this -- it is the most disturbing thing I've seen and I will leave it at that," Edmonson said Friday night.

This one has very few details, I haven't found anything more than this account gives. I have to wonder why it's so disturbing and what sort of pursuit was occuring.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    http://m.wafb.com/wafb/db_330682/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=OO3eA1sA

A few more scant details in this one.
    The response to the incident seems to have been measured, thoughtful, and unbiased. There were some classy remarks and it seems it's being handled with skill and tact.
  • rgambs said:

The response to the incident seems to have been measured, thoughtful, and unbiased. There were some classy remarks and it seems it's being handled with skill and tact.

Police departments shoot themselves in the foot sometimes.

Just like any union, when they circle the wagons and try and protect one of their poorly performing members, they end up looking badly and as a consequence... they tarnish their image.

When any member of any profession acts poorly in the line of duty... let them own their behaviour. It sounds as if something brutal went down and the department is not standing behind it. This is an awful story.

* As a side... people... do not run from the police. I always teach my kids to 'account for the moron'- meaning... don't place your life in someone else's hands: anticipate poor moves by bad drivers, double check intersections, and never assume a cop with a gun will deal with you fairly.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    http://time.com/4103770/louisiana-police-charged-with-murder-of-6-year-old-boy/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

Don't know why they started firing or why this was a chase.... but i figure it's pretty big news when cops are charged for murdering a child.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

rgambs said:

Just like any union, when they circle the wagons and try and protect one of their poorly performing members, they end up looking badly and as a consequence... they tarnish their image.

When any member of any profession acts poorly in the line of duty... let them own their behaviour. It sounds as if something brutal went down and the department is not standing behind it. This is an awful story.

* As a side... people... do not run from the police. I always teach my kids to 'account for the moron'- meaning... don't place your life in someone else's hands: anticipate poor moves by bad drivers, double check intersections, and never assume a cop with a gun will deal with you fairly.
    Yeah, the measured approach is good from all angles, including protecting the officers from knee-jerk reactions when the facts are not yet known.

Running from police with your child is ridiculous. That is such aserious endangerment, if he was running he should be charged right along with those officers.

I really wonder about this one, I have to think he wasn't driving aggressively or the video wouldn't be so disturbing and the charges wouldn't be filed.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Yeah, the measured approach is good from all angles, including protecting the officers from knee-jerk reactions when the facts are not yet known.

Running from police with your child is ridiculous. That is such aserious endangerment, if he was running he should be charged right along with those officers.

I really wonder about this one, I have to think he wasn't driving aggressively or the video wouldn't be so disturbing and the charges wouldn't be filed.
    I can't see this one unfolding in favour of the officers in question.

The department has already detached themselves from them- its likely for good reason.

I'm glad you understood what I was getting at by speaking to the stupidity of endangering your child's life playing chase with the cops.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

I'm not excusing her belligerence. I've said over and over and over that she was wrong. But her being wrong did not justify that officer's response. So much else could have been done.

And that is where most of these problems stem from. Most police abuse is not just a cop completely going nuts and attacking innocent people. It is usually a cop not acting appropriately given the specific situation. The offending cops simply neglect to use constraint. Too often, they fail to consider all possibilities and then choose the best option that will minimize harm. I feel like this is mostly due to the fact that the type of people who are becoming cops are inappropriate for the role, but also due to inadequate training. Everything I just said is about problem cops, not all cops.
    I wish that police forces would focus more on the kind of person each recruit is, and would reject those who don't meet high expectations. I think they need to focus more on the intellectuality of potential officers, and specifically try harder to weed out the ones who lack the intellect to empathize with the public on different levels, to properly evaluate situations, and to use restraint in tense situations. I think they should pay particular attention to recruits who display that 'Rambo' type of attitude without matching it with a certain level of intellect and social awareness. I also think that cops should be paid more, generally (I know some places pay way more than others) in order to attract a bigger, better pool of people to choose from, so that forces aren't forced to take in a bunch of fucking aggro-yokels.
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

I'm not excusing her belligerence. I've said over and over and over that she was wrong. But her being wrong did not justify that officer's response. So much else could have been done.

And that is where most of these problems stem from. Most police abuse is not just a cop completely going nuts and attacking innocent people. It is usually a cop not acting appropriately given the specific situation. The offending cops simply neglect to use constraint. Too often, they fail to consider all possibilities and then choose the best option that will minimize harm. I feel like this is mostly due to the fact that the type of people who are becoming cops are inappropriate for the role, but also due to inadequate training. Everything I just said is about problem cops, not all cops.
    I wish that police forces would focus more on the kind of person each recruit is, and would reject those who don't meet high expectations. I think they need to focus more on the intellectuality of potential officers, and specifically try harder to weed out the ones who lack the intellect to empathize with the public on different levels, to properly evaluate situations, and to use restraint in tense situations. I think they should pay particular attention to recruits who display that 'Rambo' type of attitude without matching it with a certain level of intellect and social awareness. I also think that cops should be paid more, generally (I know some places pay way more than others) in order to attract a bigger, better pool of people to choose from, so that forces aren't forced to take in a bunch of fucking aggro-yokels.
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

See, that is where you are wrong, and understandably so since I doubt you have ever been in a situation like this. Once an officer is resisted the Officer friendly mode stops immediately and the subject becomes a active resister. All sorts of legal steps could have been used at that point per the use of first module....Billy club to non vital areas of body, teazer if you can get to it same as Mace. He actually choose the kindest way by Risking his own safety by going hands on. Countless of officers have been killed by their own weapon during hands on arrest situations..even by 14 year old girls and 80 year old women. I have said this many times before, police are not paid to play fair. It's never pretty ...
  • Musky.

That was a quad quote.

Badass, man. Badass!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,085

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Totally agree good advice !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    To add this peice of crap parent that decides to have a car chase with his 6yr old in car should be jailed and def charged with endangerment that resulted in child getting killed , what a fucking peice of shit asshole dad he should be dead .....
    muskydan said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

See, that is where you are wrong, and understandably so since I doubt you have ever been in a situation like this. Once an officer is resisted the Officer friendly mode stops immediately and the subject becomes a active resister. All sorts of legal steps could have been used at that point per the use of first module....Billy club to non vital areas of body, teazer if you can get to it same as Mace. He actually choose the kindest way by Risking his own safety by going hands on. Countless of officers have been killed by their own weapon during hands on arrest situations..even by 14 year old girls and 80 year old women. I have said this many times before, police are not paid to play fair. It's never pretty ...
    Where am I wrong exactly? I don't disagree with what you're saying. I'm just not sure how it applies to my post.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2015
    Edit quote feature
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    Edit quote feature
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    http://housely.com/news/body-cam-footage-leads-to-arrest-of-police-who-shot-6-year-old-boy/

When asked how pivotal the video footage was in leading to the arrests, Col. Edmonson told CBS News, “I mean, as a father, much less head of the state police, I looked at that tape, I said this is incredibly disturbing.”

The officer initially reported that Chris Few, Jeremy Mardis’ father, who was driving the vehicle in which they were both shot, reversed the car at the officers and that there was an exchange of gunfire. Col. Edmonson stated that the car wasn’t reversed. The police car that was allegedly hit has minor damage. And no gun was found in Mr. Few’s car.

The officers fired 18 shots at the car Mr. Few was driving. Jeremy was shot five times in the head and chest and Mr. Few is in serious condition at Rapides Hospital in Alexandria, Louisiana

http://www.wbrz.com/news/lawyer-father-had-hands-up-as-police-killed-son

A lawyer says body camera video shows the father of a 6-year-old autistic boy who was shot to death in his car had his hands in the air and did not pose a threat before police opened fire last week.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    dignin said:

http://housely.com/news/body-cam-footage-leads-to-arrest-of-police-who-shot-6-year-old-boy/

When asked how pivotal the video footage was in leading to the arrests, Col. Edmonson told CBS News, “I mean, as a father, much less head of the state police, I looked at that tape, I said this is incredibly disturbing.”

The officer initially reported that Chris Few, Jeremy Mardis’ father, who was driving the vehicle in which they were both shot, reversed the car at the officers and that there was an exchange of gunfire. Col. Edmonson stated that the car wasn’t reversed. The police car that was allegedly hit has minor damage. And no gun was found in Mr. Few’s car.

The officers fired 18 shots at the car Mr. Few was driving. Jeremy was shot five times in the head and chest and Mr. Few is in serious condition at Rapides Hospital in Alexandria, Louisiana

A lawyer says body camera video shows the father of a 6-year-old autistic boy who was shot to death in his car had his hands in the air and did not pose a threat before police opened fire last week.

I'm not a parent. That sentence just made my heart skip right into my throat. That poor family.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    ldent42 said:

dignin said:

I'm not a parent. That sentence just made my heart skip right into my throat. That poor family.
    This is so fucked up , as much as this parent screwed up i want these two cops to do big jail time they fucking murdered a 6yr old fuck them both i hope they rot in jail ....
    No body cameras no prosecution.
  • callen said:

No body cameras no prosecution.

This might be true.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 37,526
    edited November 2015
    1st degree murder charges and allegations of destroying video evidence. Protect and Serve. Themselves that is.

Edit to add AFTER A FUCKING YEAR!!! THIS CRIMINAL WITH A BADGE KEPT HIS JOB TIL NOW. And 8 other officers on scene at the time of the MURDER.

Hi Muskydan! !!! One of your buddies?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Wow, that footage is brutal. Gunned down and then shot while he lay there dying.
    He was clearly not being a threat to the officers...just so sad.
    I hope Chicago doesn't erupt in violence, I think a mountain of anguish and anger is appropriate for the black community there, but violence won't solve the problem. Hatred can't drive out hatred.
  • mickeyrat said:

1st degree murder charges and allegations of destroying video evidence. Protect and Serve. Themselves that is.

Edit to add AFTER A FUCKING YEAR!!! THIS CRIMINAL WITH A BADGE KEPT HIS JOB TIL NOW. And 8 other officers on scene at the time of the MURDER.

Actually, he posted about this in the lounge car a few days ago.
    No surprise headline here.
    mickeyrat said:

I was afraid for my life = get out of jail free card
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 37,526
    dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

except for the dash cam shows different.
    and he was in the process of reloading.

Most guys are trying to do the job in a straightforward way. This is the kind of shit that needs hammerdown, made an example of.

they have a dangerous job. we understand that. I want officers who are confidant not in fear at the drop of a hat. Better hiring standards. Better pay. Shit, soemthing has to give. The monies paid out in settlements funds it. This guy here had dozens of complaints over the past few years. Nothing was done.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

except for the dash cam shows different.
    and he was in the process of reloading.

Most guys are trying to do the job in a straightforward way. This is the kind of shit that needs hammerdown, made an example of.

they have a dangerous job. we understand that. I want officers who are confidant not in fear at the drop of a hat. Better hiring standards. Better pay. Shit, soemthing has to give. The monies paid out in settlements funds it. This guy here had dozens of complaints over the past few years. Nothing was done.
    You're going to get no disagreement from me. But as most cases against cops go, the odds are in his favour of getting off on the charges.....because he was scared. Always the go to defense for trigger happy cops.

That video was horrendous. Could you imagine being one of the other cops at the scene? Having never fired a shot I wonder what they were thinking about their fellow officer.

Does anyone have any info about what his story was directly after the shooting....or the other cops stories? I don't have to go very far out on a limb to think he probably said the teen charged him.
  • rgambs said:

Wow, that footage is brutal. Gunned down and then shot while he lay there dying.
    He was clearly not being a threat to the officers...just so sad.
    I hope Chicago doesn't erupt in violence, I think a mountain of anguish and anger is appropriate for the black community there, but violence won't solve the problem. Hatred can't drive out hatred.

What video footage are you referring to?
    A lot of heads will have to roll with this case plenty of bystanders who covered up a murder ....
  • mickeyrat said:

I saw the video.

I would speak to your timeline comment: the cops in the interior of British Columbia knew the identity of a mass murderer in our area- a f**king creepy loser that, frankly, deserved nothing but death. It took longer than a year for them to even arrest him- following due process to ensure the case was made and his rights were maintained.

Due process, Mickey. Not just for mass murderers, but for police too.

You can make many assumptions, but they have moved in the right direction. Isn't that enough for you? It doesn't seem to matter what departments do... it seems it's never enough.

mickeyrat said:

I saw the video.

I would speak to your timeline comment: the cops in the interior of British Columbia knew the identity of a mass murderer in our area- a f**king creepy loser that, frankly, deserved nothing but death. It took longer than a year for them to even arrest him- following due process to ensure the case was made and his rights were maintained.

Due process, Mickey. Not just for mass murderers, but for police too.

You can make many assumptions, but they have moved in the right direction. Isn't that enough for you? It doesn't seem to matter what departments do... it seems it's never enough.
    Are you talking about Pickton? Because if you are that's a terrible example. The cops were negligent in that case.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pickton-inquiry-slams-blatant-failures-by-police-1.1191108

That cop should have been suspended as soon as anyone of authority saw that video. The system doesn't get a pass for finally doing the right thing.

This discussion has been closed.