Police abuse

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,397

callen said:

this will be the third time.

One of the problems with your country.

Act like an ass. Get treated like an ass. Then sue because you didn't like getting treated like an ass. And be successful!

No wonder so many people act like asses. Your courts- and some attitudes- support asses.
    So you've never been an ass? Did you have cops enforcing g rules in your school when growing up? Ever seen a teen slammed in your school. How would you feel if your daughter was in the class and witnessed this or think she may be next?!?!?
    Funny you ask.

I was thrown through a row of desks and my teacher held me up against the chalkboard by the throat with his fist cocked at my face.

No shit.

When I got home that day with my ripped shirt and bruised body... and I told my parents... my dad never even looked up from the paper and my mother said, "Well... you must have done something."

And you know what? I did do something.

I'm not saying I deserved what I got, but I'm saying my parents weren't running to the school calling foul when I had my fair share of being an ass.

I acted like an ass and got treated like an ass.

* My daughter would never act that way. NEVER.

You make excuses for every poorly acting person in every walk of life, Callen. Can't anybody own their behaviours?
    I question your parents....I don't know anyone in my circle who wouldn't have driven to the school and called the police to report an assault.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

She wasn't arrested for chewing gum.She was arrested because when she was being moved she punched the cop.He was the 3rd school official to try to get the student to leave.
    He may have been a little heavy handed but this kid was being an asshole while in class.

Btw,the cop has a black girlfriend and all the kids say is a nice cool guy.very well liked.

Only 3 officials tried to move her? There should have been at least 4.

Why not move the class outside and continue the lesson in the hallway? Who cares about the disruption to the learning environment?

Hilarious.

How hard is it to leave the classroom after being asked to leave? I'll answer. It's not hard.

If you choose to grandstand and act like an ass... you should be prepared to be treated like an ass.

Now go sue. Your rights as an ass were abused.
    Yes why not move the class to another room. Why not call a counselor to feel with her rather than the military. Why not have 20 people try to resolve rather than going neandrathal on her. Yes all should be tried before a brutish cop is allowed I to the classroom.
    Why not run to Starbucks and buy her a non-fat, double shot latte while you are at it?

Geezuz man. Do you ever listen to yourself?
    Why remove her from the classroom at all? Why not just waste her ass in her desk. Act like an ass and get treated like an ass.

Geez do you listen to yourself? Ridiculous.
    You're head is in Lala Land.

Have you thought for a split second that perhaps her behaviour was such that continuing with the lesson was pointless?

Just an innocent poor poor little girl that has randomly been victimized.

This idea of yours is almost as awesome as the one where you said the cops should have gotten in their cars and ran away from the knife wielding maniac instead of dealing with him.
    What idea? The idea that a 120lb teenage girl can be removed from a classroom without such a hissyfit of a violent slam?
    No, I think your right, they should have tased her.
    Who said tasting her was the right thing to do? She was clearly not going to leave the class unless forcefully removed. That is what happened. She got what she demanded.

I know you wanted a 'student whisperer' to coo the right combination of words in her ear, but in the real world... there's not a lot of 'student whisperers'.

And you used the term 'deluded'?
    Nobody said calling in a Jedi was the right thing to do either, but your weakness for ridiculously hyperbolic sarcasm put those words in others mouths, so turn around is fair game.
    Forceful removal is not a problem for me, it is the violence with which it was performed. It is not the duty of police to punish, despite your strong desire for them to do so.
    He could have lifted her out of that desk and carried her out like MANY officers have done over the years with those giving passive resistance...instead he went Montgomery lunch counter on her.
    I suppose you think those black folk being asses, refusing to leave the lunch counter, sitting in the front of the bus deserved what they got?
    Wow. What a reach this is.

You're comparing significant civil rights to this situation?

You either think very little of one situation or too much of another, but they are hardly comparable.

Yikes.
    This ties into my previous post.
    How do you know her civil rights weren't being violated?

The civil rights protesters of yore were breaking established laws and defying authority. By the logic you use in every single police discussion, they had violence coming to them, they asked for it.
    By the logic you use in every single police discussion, it doesn't matter whether they are right or just in their defiance, defiance of authority is deserving of violence.
    Sounds like this case fits right in.
    The officer has been relieved of duty....does that answer your question?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • callen said:

Act like an ass. Get treated like an ass. Then sue because you didn't like getting treated like an ass. And be successful!

No wonder so many people act like asses. Your courts- and some attitudes- support asses.
    So you've never been an ass? Did you have cops enforcing g rules in your school when growing up? Ever seen a teen slammed in your school. How would you feel if your daughter was in the class and witnessed this or think she may be next?!?!?
    Funny you ask.

I was thrown through a row of desks and my teacher held me up against the chalkboard by the throat with his fist cocked at my face.

No shit.

When I got home that day with my ripped shirt and bruised body... and I told my parents... my dad never even looked up from the paper and my mother said, "Well... you must have done something."

I'm not saying I deserved what I got, but I'm saying my parents weren't running to the school calling foul when I had my fair share of being an ass.

You make excuses for every poorly acting person in every walk of life, Callen. Can't anybody own their behaviours?
    I question your parents....I don't know anyone in my circle who wouldn't have driven to the school and called the police to report an assault.
    I turned out okay so don't question too much.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Things are getting a little hot in here.

She was a acting like a brat. That is clear.

The officer overreacted and escalated the situation. That is also clear.

Should he be a cop? Nah.....maybe he should get a job as a pro wrestler, seems to fit his temperament a little better.

callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

I turned out okay so don't question too much.
    Well I would say that the girl in the video certainly "owned" her behaviour. She got criminally assaulted for it. Now the officer is "owning" his behaviour.

• callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

I did forget to add that if it is not obvious already... I was raised to own my behaviours. I pushed my teacher too far. I was an ass.

His reaction was excessive, but he wouldn't have gotten to that place if I hadn't driven him there.

People that don't want to own their behaviours typically look to defect responsibility for their actions and look past their action to focus on another's.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    callen said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

She wasn't arrested for chewing gum.She was arrested because when she was being moved she punched the cop.He was the 3rd school official to try to get the student to leave.
    He may have been a little heavy handed but this kid was being an asshole while in class.

Btw,the cop has a black girlfriend and all the kids say is a nice cool guy.very well liked.

Why not move the class outside and continue the lesson in the hallway? Who cares about the disruption to the learning environment?

Hilarious.

How hard is it to leave the classroom after being asked to leave? I'll answer. It's not hard.

If you choose to grandstand and act like an ass... you should be prepared to be treated like an ass.

Yes why not move the class to another room. Why not call a counselor to feel with her rather than the military. Why not have 20 people try to resolve rather than going neandrathal on her. Yes all should be tried before a brutish cop is allowed I to the classroom.
    sure let's inconvenience every other child and the teacher in that classroom because one girl wanted to act like an asshole. maybe a tad excessive but as said above act like an asshole get treated like an asshole. not a hard concept for most people to understand.
    Teenagers can be assholes. Normal behavior. We don't have cops going into classrooms to body slam minors.

so just let teenagers be assholes with no consequences? man i would have loved to grow up in a town you were in charge of. look i said in my original post it was a tad excessive...but how else could he have gotten her to leave? 3 others tried and failed. i assume this was the last option...and it worked.

callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

I did forget to add that if it is not obvious already... I was raised to own my behaviours. I pushed my teacher too far. I was an ass.

His reaction was excessive, but he wouldn't have gotten to that place if I hadn't driven him there.

People that don't want to own their behaviours typically look to defect responsibility for their actions and look past their action to focus on another's.
    Sorry but a teacher assaulting a student is never acceptable unless it was truly a case of self defense on the teacher's part

callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

Sorry but a teacher assaulting a student is never acceptable unless it was truly a case of self defense on the teacher's part
    i witnessed a teacher assaulting friends of mine two times in my high school...and both kids absolutely 100% deserved it. in fact both kids knew they did afterwards too. if those incidences happened today this generation of parents (which i am a part of) would probably sue the school.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

In all seriousness, the event was disturbing. I didn't like seeing it. And yes... I would have preferred a 'less physical' drag her from the class tactic.

But she demanded being dragged from the class. The emphasis seems to have switched from her excessive defiance and to how better the officer might have been able to handle the situation.

If he had begun punching her or something outrageous... I'd be with you. As it stands... I'm not: the girl got what she demanded- even if it might have been a touch more than what she might have hoped for.

Let's say they did nothing and just waited her out until the end of the period. Does she just go to her next class as if nothing happened? What do authorities do then? Wait it out one more time? And let's say they suspend her. What do they do if she shows up to school anyways?

There's obviously a line where physical interventions are necessary if a student selects a path that requires one. What we are really arguing about here is where that line is. I would contend that the line is after the third official tried to get her to leave. You cannot seriously expect them to stand there and scratch their heads- confounded by the ridiculous behaviour.

Not all problems have a peaceful solution that some suggest. If a kid demands to be dealt with in a forceful manner... what are authorities to do?

If he had removed her with a little less histrionics I would have no problem with it.

I don't care for the assumption that she was being an ass and using excessive defiance. Until it was dispelled, there was an assumption that she broke the law and whatnot. I think that is possibly ageist and racist.
    Did it never occur to y'all that she had been disrespected and was not being outrageous?

8th grade. Mr Chip Amicone is giving a (terrible) lesson in vocabulary. He explains epithet (incorrectly) as a mocking nickname, and says "for example, something like Levi-Peevi"
    My face got red, everyone laughed at me, so in a burst of inspiration, I said "Or like Chipped-Chopped Hamicone"
    His face got redder and he said "Go to the Principals office, now."
    "Why?"
    ""For disrespecting a teacher"
    "If you are going to disrespect me, I will too, maybe we should call the principal here and we can sort this out"
    "Open your books to blah de blah...."

Isn't it just as likely a scenario like this played out? Why do you make the assumption that she was a delinquent? Does that say something about how you view young people? Or young black people?
    And herein lies the discontent that has grown within you?

A teacher makes an offhand comment, the class laughs, and RG grows indignant.

Here's an inference: it sounds as if the teacher was a dork. If he had a sense of humour, he would have laughed and supported the statement as another example of what he was trying to teach.

Here's another inference: it sounds as if RG is sensitive.
    I didn't ignore any question, I stated that forceful removal was the right thing to do.
    Don't insult me 30Bills, you are better than that.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

rgambs said:

In all seriousness, the event was disturbing. I didn't like seeing it. And yes... I would have preferred a 'less physical' drag her from the class tactic.

But she demanded being dragged from the class. The emphasis seems to have switched from her excessive defiance and to how better the officer might have been able to handle the situation.

If he had begun punching her or something outrageous... I'd be with you. As it stands... I'm not: the girl got what she demanded- even if it might have been a touch more than what she might have hoped for.

Let's say they did nothing and just waited her out until the end of the period. Does she just go to her next class as if nothing happened? What do authorities do then? Wait it out one more time? And let's say they suspend her. What do they do if she shows up to school anyways?

There's obviously a line where physical interventions are necessary if a student selects a path that requires one. What we are really arguing about here is where that line is. I would contend that the line is after the third official tried to get her to leave. You cannot seriously expect them to stand there and scratch their heads- confounded by the ridiculous behaviour.

Not all problems have a peaceful solution that some suggest. If a kid demands to be dealt with in a forceful manner... what are authorities to do?

If he had removed her with a little less histrionics I would have no problem with it.

I don't care for the assumption that she was being an ass and using excessive defiance. Until it was dispelled, there was an assumption that she broke the law and whatnot. I think that is possibly ageist and racist.
    Did it never occur to y'all that she had been disrespected and was not being outrageous?

8th grade. Mr Chip Amicone is giving a (terrible) lesson in vocabulary. He explains epithet (incorrectly) as a mocking nickname, and says "for example, something like Levi-Peevi"
    My face got red, everyone laughed at me, so in a burst of inspiration, I said "Or like Chipped-Chopped Hamicone"
    "Why?"
    "If you are going to disrespect me, I will too, maybe we should call the principal here and we can sort this out"

Isn't it just as likely a scenario like this played out? Why do you make the assumption that she was a delinquent? Does that say something about how you view young people? Or young black people?
    Not at all. Get over yourself. You just got smoked in this discussion with your silliness pitted against reason... and now you're switching tactics to paint me as a racist?

I assume that people in trouble with authority got into trouble.
    You assume people in trouble with authority were doing nothing except crossing paths with an authority figure with an axe to grind.
    Wrong. The only assumption I make is that an officer will have enough self-restraint to avoid going WWF on someone to punish them for their assness, and they will have the due process of law.

Did you see much protest from the other students? I didn't in the clip I saw. You want to know what I infer from that? She was being an ass.
    Actually, yes. Another student was charged for disrupting school when he/she stood up for the dissenting student.
    * You ignored the questions I posed to you in the post you responded to. Would you care to answer them? Exactly how does the school deal with the scenarios I presented to you given that they are not far fetched and in line with the observable behaviour we witnessed?
    pjhawks said:

callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

i witnessed a teacher assaulting friends of mine two times in my high school...and both kids absolutely 100% deserved it. in fact both kids knew they did afterwards too. if those incidences happened today this generation of parents (which i am a part of) would probably sue the school.
    Yes if anyone assaulted my child there would definitely be consequences.

• callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

I agree with you. But you are missing the point focusing on the teacher.

I learned that day that my behaviours were responsible for the situation that developed. I was the root of the problem- me and my shitty behaviours led me to a place that wasn't great.

I also learned that regardless of the structures in place... people may not respond the way I expect them to: in other words, the school setting afforded me rules and safety that I tested. I obviously tested too much.

I'm not advocating for teachers physically assaulting kids and never will- I agree that there is always another way. I'm saying that if my parents had become alarmed and targeted the teacher and school for what had happened... this would have been tantamount to minimizing my actions- I would have seen it as support for me in a situation where I shouldn't receive any.

My parents were much more concerned with me behaving well than my teacher. If I had broken bones... maybe they would have felt differently, but I was no worse for wear. It would have been the shits to go after this teacher- he wasn't my favourite... but he was far from a bad guy.

He approached my when the year was ending and apologized. I told him I understood I had pushed him too far and that I got why he reacted the way he did.
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited October 2015
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

"Why?"

And herein lies the discontent that has grown within you?

A teacher makes an offhand comment, the class laughs, and RG grows indignant.

Here's an inference: it sounds as if the teacher was a dork. If he had a sense of humour, he would have laughed and supported the statement as another example of what he was trying to teach.

Here's another inference: it sounds as if RG is sensitive.
    I didn't ignore any question, I stated that forceful removal was the right thing to do.
    Don't insult me 30Bills, you are better than that.
    I'm not insulting you as I didn't think you answered the questions I asked of you which were as follows: Let's say they did nothing and just waited her out until the end of the period. Does she just go to her next class as if nothing happened? What do authorities do then? Wait it out one more time? And let's say they suspend her. What do they do if she shows up to school anyways?

Your other post bolded other questions which you responded to.

Here you are saying 'forceful removal was the right thing to do'... but that seems to be contradictory to everything else you have been saying (which all seemed to suggest the officer was physical when he shouldn't have been).

I'm kind of confused right now.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

even without knowing what your child did? or even if your child caused the incident to start (like said child in the video)?
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

even without knowing what your child did? or even if your child caused the incident to start (like said child in the video)?
    Assault is a felony...like I said unless it was self defense that is a crime.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Funny you ask.

No shit.

Misbehaving=cops slamming down and being handcuffed. Sad sad sad.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    I don't understand the "if she would have put her phone down this wouldn't have happened" arguments....if the cop (the person of authority) wouldn't have committed a felony assault this wouldn't have happened either.

• I don't understand the "if she would have put her phone down this wouldn't have happened" arguments....if the cop (the person of authority) wouldn't have committed a felony assault this wouldn't have happened either.

Yah. And the girl would be snidely sitting there still... essentially telling everyone that they can go f**k themselves.

Just let everyone do what they want is what I'm hearing from some. I mean.. you can do some good pleading to get them to try and follow basic organizational rules... but if they don't care to follow those rules... well... what are ya gonna do (insert shoulder shrugging with question mark above head emoticon)?
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Why not run to Starbucks and buy her a non-fat, double shot latte while you are at it?

Why remove her from the classroom at all? Why not just waste her ass in her desk. Act like an ass and get treated like an ass.

Have you thought for a split second that perhaps her behaviour was such that continuing with the lesson was pointless?

This idea of yours is almost as awesome as the one where you said the cops should have gotten in their cars and ran away from the knife wielding maniac instead of dealing with him.
    What idea? The idea that a 120lb teenage girl can be removed from a classroom without such a hissyfit of a violent slam?
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Who said tasting her was the right thing to do? She was clearly not going to leave the class unless forcefully removed. That is what happened. She got what she demanded.

I know you wanted a 'student whisperer' to coo the right combination of words in her ear, but in the real world... there's not a lot of 'student whisperers'.

And you used the term 'deluded'?
    Nobody said calling in a Jedi was the right thing to do either, but your weakness for ridiculously hyperbolic sarcasm put those words in others mouths, so turn around is fair game.
    Forceful removal is not a problem for me, it is the violence with which it was performed. It is not the duty of police to punish, despite your strong desire for them to do so.
    He could have lifted her out of that desk and carried her out like MANY officers have done over the years with those giving passive resistance...instead he went Montgomery lunch counter on her.
    I suppose you think those black folk being asses, refusing to leave the lunch counter, sitting in the front of the bus deserved what they got?
    I don't think the quote feature is being my friend here, but there's 2 instances a page or so back where I agreed to her removal, but not his commando style takedown.
    As to the insult, you attempted to portray me as overly sensitive, as if I am a nutty anti-authority because I became indignant when insulted by my teacher at the age of 12 or 13.
    Not so, mi amigo.
    I could just as easily attempt to portray you as a lapdog that licks the boots of any authority figure in sight, but that wouldn't be any more accurate.

Side-note: I wasn't trying to call you racist, I didn't quite make it clear that I was only prompting you to look at the motivation behind assuming nefarious criminality in a young black person with very little evidence.
    Ageism is becoming an issue nowadays as millenials are continually shit on by older generations who are full of shit just as often as the youngins.
    edited October 2015
    Thirty there is some room between no punishment and minor female student in class in front of her peers being body slammed in class. Of course she should be punished. Saying she would get away with it or no punishment is skewing our positions. Violence isn't the answer for all our problems. There are better ways to live.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

I don't understand the "if she would have put her phone down this wouldn't have happened" arguments....if the cop (the person of authority) wouldn't have committed a felony assault this wouldn't have happened either.

Yah. And the girl would be snidely sitting there still... essentially telling everyone that they can go f**k themselves.

Just let everyone do what they want is what I'm hearing from some. I mean.. you can do some good pleading to get them to try and follow basic organizational rules... but if they don't care to follow those rules... well... what are ya gonna do (insert shoulder shrugging with question mark above head emoticon)?
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences...I'm saying that felony assault shouldn't be the consequence

If the cop would have shot her would you say the same thing? How far is too far?

• RG...

It's all good.

The discussion deteriorated somewhat, but points were made. Thanks for challenging me. I'm still not with you on this one, but that's okay.
    This episode reinforced how fked up our police state is for all the kids that watched this. School should be a safe zone. Away from daily shit and over bearing police. This situation is so bad.

RG...

It's all good.

The discussion deteriorated somewhat, but points were made. Thanks for challenging me. I'm still not with you on this one, but that's okay.

It did. We love it lol, we wouldn't keep at it if we didn't, it's probably therapeutic for us lol This is where having mods with a light touch comes in handy, we can take it or we wouldn't dish it.
    We aren't far off on this one, I only think he was excessive, not that force was unnecessary. Ideologically we have a greater divide on use of force and compliance with authority.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences...I'm saying that felony assault shouldn't be the consequence

If the cop would have shot her would you say the same thing? How far is too far?
    as i said before I believe it was a tad excessive on the cops part but it's not felony assault by the cop though. reprimand him and maybe give him a short suspension and move on. the girl is hardly a victim and surely shouldn't get to sue and win money out of this for acting like an asshole.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,124

pjhawks said:

Well the cop in the classroom video used a bit of force I'd say ....

i would say it was a bit excessive...BUT how was he supposed to get the girl out of the desk/classroom after she was repeatedly asked to leave and refused? should they just have let he sit there in defiance?
    Maybe drag the whole desk with her on it out to hallway not sure but slamming her is surely not the way ....
    At least say, "Pretty please."

The right combination of words could have been the ticket... but how much patience are people required to have?

Do we know what that girl was being asked to leave for? Couple this original offence with her defiance and it could be asserted she got what was coming to her. If you act like an ass... you should expect to be treated like one.
    he could of just as easy dragged the whole desk with her on it to the hallway hell he was able to slam her and the desk so i ask you why couldnt he just dragged the whole desk with her on it ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,124
    edited October 2015
    and who ever here is saying she punched him is beyond blind ive watched the video she was able to slide her hand across his neck but that was no punch ......Plus if that was my daughter im challenging this cop to a fight we can go to a gym and fight in a ring no weapons just me & him thats how im settling this
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

and who ever here is saying she punched him is beyond blind ive watched the video she was able to slide her hand across his neck but that was no punch ......Plus if that was my daughter im challenging this cop to a fight we can go to a gym and fight in a ring no weapons just me & him thats how im settling this

OK tough guy….thanks for the laugh
    muskydan said:

OK tough guy….thanks for the laugh
    no the tough guy got fired for assaulting a girl

This discussion has been closed.