Police abuse

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    edited October 2015

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

I've answered this repeatedly. You are the product of your environment. Call the environment what you like. (Society).

You aren't special Thirty. Your views action opportunities are programmed by your environment.

What are you trying to say thirty? Please explain your question. Are you relating race with promiscuity? Is it a gene? If you feel so just say it.

how do you know how Thirty or anyone else on here was brought up or in what environment they were brought up in? I am sure there are some people on here who weren't brought up with a golden spoon in their mouth. stop it already.

if you grow up around gang bangers, hookers, drugs, and crime, chances are that cycle will repeat. just as my dad was a white collar office worker, so are his kids. are there anomalies? of course there are. but it's not the norm. you are born into a herd, you adopt their behaviours and tendencies. saying "I have a (insert downtrodden minority here) friend who got out of the ghetto and is leading a productive life, so I know it can be done" isn't a plausible argument. those are the exceptions to the rule.

most people don't move up or down an ecomomic or social class. they generally stay in the one they were born into and grew up in. that's the whole point. it's not a racial thing. it's a human nature thing.

Agreed.

There are other human instincts too, Hugh: paternal and maternal instincts.

My point, if it is not obvious, is that if you leave children to raise themselves... they are doomed to failure. When two thirds of your population is raised by a single parent and such a practice entrenches itself as the norm... that's not going to play out well for future generations.

People keep asking for solutions to the problem. I'm trying to illustrate one: eventually, people need to fulfill their responsibility as parents in some of these communities. How is that going to happen? I don't know. Conditions aren't favourable for that reversing itself anytime soon, but its fair to say that kids need a semblance of normalcy before they grow into hardened adults (or adolescents for that matter) destined for anything but success.
    but how can we expect parents in these situations to "step up" when they had no model to follow? they were part of the cycle as well. society needs to step up for them and help.

do you suggest we personally put condoms on them? how does society fix the problem of unwanted children and absentee fathers? sorry parenthood is a PERSONAL responsibility, not societies.
    society is responsible for the current situation. society put them in that position through oppression/cultural genocide/slavery/etc.

they need to be willing partners, but yes, it is a societal issue. that's what a civilized society IS.

if you grew up being neglected and beaten, chances are you would do the same, especially if it was the social norm. and that happened in the first place because of what the Europeans did to them.

There were plenty of other ethnicities oppressed and discriminated against in this country who haven't had the pervasive long term problems as we see today in poor black communities. Is society to be thanked for those groups having success in those situations?

I'm not saying we don't have a responsibility to help in whatever ways we can, but the solutions have to start in those communities 1st. not continuing the history of fatherless homes is a good place to start.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

I've answered this repeatedly. You are the product of your environment. Call the environment what you like. (Society).

You aren't special Thirty. Your views action opportunities are programmed by your environment.

What are you trying to say thirty? Please explain your question. Are you relating race with promiscuity? Is it a gene? If you feel so just say it.

how do you know how Thirty or anyone else on here was brought up or in what environment they were brought up in? I am sure there are some people on here who weren't brought up with a golden spoon in their mouth. stop it already.

if you grow up around gang bangers, hookers, drugs, and crime, chances are that cycle will repeat. just as my dad was a white collar office worker, so are his kids. are there anomalies? of course there are. but it's not the norm. you are born into a herd, you adopt their behaviours and tendencies. saying "I have a (insert downtrodden minority here) friend who got out of the ghetto and is leading a productive life, so I know it can be done" isn't a plausible argument. those are the exceptions to the rule.

most people don't move up or down an ecomomic or social class. they generally stay in the one they were born into and grew up in. that's the whole point. it's not a racial thing. it's a human nature thing.

Agreed.

My point, if it is not obvious, is that if you leave children to raise themselves... they are doomed to failure. When two thirds of your population is raised by a single parent and such a practice entrenches itself as the norm... that's not going to play out well for future generations.

People keep asking for solutions to the problem. I'm trying to illustrate one: eventually, people need to fulfill their responsibility as parents in some of these communities. How is that going to happen? I don't know. Conditions aren't favourable for that reversing itself anytime soon, but its fair to say that kids need a semblance of normalcy before they grow into hardened adults (or adolescents for that matter) destined for anything but success.
    but how can we expect parents in these situations to "step up" when they had no model to follow? they were part of the cycle as well. society needs to step up for them and help.

do you suggest we personally put condoms on them? how does society fix the problem of unwanted children and absentee fathers? sorry parenthood is a PERSONAL responsibility, not societies.
    society is responsible for the current situation. society put them in that position through oppression/cultural genocide/slavery/etc.

they need to be willing partners, but yes, it is a societal issue. that's what a civilized society IS.

if you grew up being neglected and beaten, chances are you would do the same, especially if it was the social norm. and that happened in the first place because of what the Europeans did to them.

There were plenty of other ethnicities oppressed and discriminated against in this country who haven't had the pervasive long term problems as we see today in poor black communities. Is society to be thanked for those groups having success in those situations?

I'm not saying we don't have a responsibility to help in whatever ways we can, but the solutions have to start in those communities 1st. not continuing the history of fatherless homes is a good place to start.
    vastly different cultures. apples and oranges.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Agreed.

So you agree with me that culture is significant when discussing these types of topics?

16% of Asian children are raised in single parent homes. 25% of white children are raised in single parent homes. What variable accounts for this discrepancy? If I'm following some logic in this recent discussion... I would be led to believe that Asian families are slightly more affluent and in slightly better circumstances than white families. I say 'slightly' because the discrepancy isn't massive such as the one that exists between, say, blacks and whites.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Agreed.

hmm a page ago it was about economics...now it's not? interesting reverse there
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Agreed.

hmm a page ago it was about economics...now it's not? interesting reverse there
    not a reverse. it's not as simple as one thing. and saying it's about economics is simplistic. but I mean that these groups come from vastly different cultural backgrounds, so of course that plays into how they respond to certain adversities.

www.headstonesband.com

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Agreed.

So you agree with me that culture is significant when discussing these types of topics?

16% of Asian children are raised in single parent homes. 25% of white children are raised in single parent homes. What variable accounts for this discrepancy? If I'm following some logic in this recent discussion... I would be led to believe that Asian families are slightly more affluent and in slightly better circumstances than white families. I say 'slightly' because the discrepancy isn't massive such as the one that exists between, say, blacks and whites.
    affluency has nothing, or very little, to do with it. to me it has more to do with how a culture perceives its single parents. decades ago divorce was unheard of in america. now it's half the population that gets married.

www.headstonesband.com

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Agreed.

in effect, not in cause.

www.headstonesband.com

• pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

Agreed.

in effect, not in cause.

I think we're on the same page.

The problem is very complicated and there is no 'one solution'. It is a situation that has been neglected and one that deserves some attention at the national level. Not addressing it is not making the problem any better. It is also one where all stakeholders shoulder responsibility on some levels.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    pjhawks said:

callen said:

I'm sorry did you grow up black in Chicago project?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

callen said:

So your answer is 'yes'. You are saying society is to blame for two thirds of black children being raised by a single parent. It's interesting that you say this.

I would disagree. I agree that it is a contributing factor, but its not the deciding factor. I would suggest that the cycle of children being raised by single parents is in full gear and perpetuating itself. There are reasons- such as the one you keep insisting- for this epidemic, but let's not deny it.

* I'm not saying anything at all about genetics that distinguish one race from another. But I could though. I do believe there are inherent differences amongst the races that cannot be disputed very easily. For example... how many Chinese people do you see in the NBA compared to black people? It should be equal if people are all the same... but we are not. I'm not saying one race is better than the next race: we are different... and I have no problem with that at all.

As for your silly question... no... no one race isn't hornier than another.
    Hmm seems by reading through your waffling post you agree with me. Cool. :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    edited October 2015
    Edited f
    Post edited by callen on
  • callen said:

callen said:

So your answer is 'yes'. You are saying society is to blame for two thirds of black children being raised by a single parent. It's interesting that you say this.

I would disagree. I agree that it is a contributing factor, but its not the deciding factor. I would suggest that the cycle of children being raised by single parents is in full gear and perpetuating itself. There are reasons- such as the one you keep insisting- for this epidemic, but let's not deny it.

* I'm not saying anything at all about genetics that distinguish one race from another. But I could though. I do believe there are inherent differences amongst the races that cannot be disputed very easily. For example... how many Chinese people do you see in the NBA compared to black people? It should be equal if people are all the same... but we are not. I'm not saying one race is better than the next race: we are different... and I have no problem with that at all.

As for your silly question... no... no one race isn't hornier than another.
    Hmm seems by reading through your waffling post you agree with me. Cool. :)
    I wouldn't categorize this post as waffling by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree in part with what you assert, however the problem-and I seem to be stating this again- is much more complex than what you give it credit for.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited October 2015
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-politicians-activists-stunned-by-aboriginal-women-s-sex-assault-allegations-1.3284787

Politicians and First Nations activists in Quebec say they are shocked and are demanding a widespread investigation following allegations that provincial police abused and sexually assaulted aboriginal women in Val-d'Or.

They say officers routinely picked up women who appeared to be intoxicated, drove them out of town and left them to walk home in the cold. Some allege they were physically assaulted or made to perform sex acts.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,124
    Well the cop in the classroom video used a bit of force I'd say ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,866
    edited October 2015
    dignin said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-politicians-activists-stunned-by-aboriginal-women-s-sex-assault-allegations-1.3284787

Politicians and First Nations activists in Quebec say they are shocked and are demanding a widespread investigation following allegations that provincial police abused and sexually assaulted aboriginal women in Val-d'Or.

They say officers routinely picked up women who appeared to be intoxicated, drove them out of town and left them to walk home in the cold. Some allege they were physically assaulted or made to perform sex acts.

This is terrible, though I'm not entirely surprised just because I've been told by some people from northern Ontario about the racism towards Natives in Quebec and Ontario. This is foreign to me out on the West Coast, but according to those from that region (small town east-central Canada), the cops are plentiful and bad, and the disdain/racism towards aboriginals is rampant. Though I haven't witnessed it myself.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited October 2015

i would say it was a bit excessive...BUT how was he supposed to get the girl out of the desk/classroom after she was repeatedly asked to leave and refused? should they just have let he sit there in defiance?
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

This is terrible, though I'm not entirely surprised just because I've been told by some people from northern Ontario about the racism towards Natives in Quebec and Ontario. This is foreign to me out on the West Coast, but according to those from that region (small town east-central Canada), the cops are plentiful and bad, and the disdain/racism towards aboriginals is rampant. Though I haven't witnessed it myself.
    pretty bad in Manitoba. REALLY bad.

www.headstonesband.com

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,124
    pjhawks said:

i would say it was a bit excessive...BUT how was he supposed to get the girl out of the desk/classroom after she was repeatedly asked to leave and refused? should they just have let he sit there in defiance?
    Maybe drag the whole desk with her on it out to hallway not sure but slamming her is surely not the way ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • pjhawks said:

Maybe drag the whole desk with her on it out to hallway not sure but slamming her is surely not the way ....
    At least say, "Pretty please."

The right combination of words could have been the ticket... but how much patience are people required to have?

Do we know what that girl was being asked to leave for? Couple this original offence with her defiance and it could be asserted she got what was coming to her. If you act like an ass... you should expect to be treated like one.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

pjhawks said:

At least say, "Pretty please."

The right combination of words could have been the ticket... but how much patience are people required to have?

Do we know what that girl was being asked to leave for? Couple this original offence with her defiance and it could be asserted she got what was coming to her. If you act like an ass... you should expect to be treated like one.
    Cops should be required to have more patience than that!
    MAYBE passive resistance equates to being an ass, but there is no question he used more force than was required to remove her from the classroom.
    Why slam her around like that? Because she was being an ass? Does that give him the right to be a bigger ass?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    She committed the heinous crime of "disrupting school" and another student was charged for sticking up for her as well.
    Thank goodness this hero was there to bodyslam her before she committed further heinous acts of depravity.
  • rgambs said:

She committed the heinous crime of "disrupting school" and another student was charged for sticking up for her as well.
    Thank goodness this hero was there to bodyslam her before she committed further heinous acts of depravity.

i read she had been chewing gum.

in class.

holy shitballs! kick her ass and arrest her immediately!!!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    She wasn't arrested for chewing gum.She was arrested because when she was being moved she punched the cop.He was the 3rd school official to try to get the student to leave.
    He may have been a little heavy handed but this kid was being an asshole while in class.

Btw,the cop has a black girlfriend and all the kids say is a nice cool guy.very well liked.
  • rr165892 said:

She wasn't arrested for chewing gum.She was arrested because when she was being moved she punched the cop.He was the 3rd school official to try to get the student to leave.
    He may have been a little heavy handed but this kid was being an asshole while in class.

Btw,the cop has a black girlfriend and all the kids say is a nice cool guy.very well liked.

he has been sued twice before.

• this will be the third time.

rr165892 said:

I saw from 2 angles, if she punched him, she sure did a shitty job!
    Nice, cool guy who had been sued for excessive force twice. Real tough guy in that video.
    Police conning Into a classroom and slams a minor, a student like that. In front of all the other kids which will all now be affected. An adult or adults should be able to deal with teen rebellion. Let her sit there. Call her parents. Sooo many options but to havea thug cop come in and do this?!?!? So fked up. We are failing as a civilized society.

• this will be the third time.

One of the problems with your country.

Act like an ass. Get treated like an ass. Then sue because you didn't like getting treated like an ass. And be successful!

No wonder so many people act like asses. Your courts- and some attitudes- support asses.
    edited October 2015

this will be the third time.

One of the problems with your country.

Act like an ass. Get treated like an ass. Then sue because you didn't like getting treated like an ass. And be successful!

No wonder so many people act like asses. Your courts- and some attitudes- support asses.
    So you've never been an ass? Did you have cops enforcing g rules in your school when growing up? Ever seen a teen slammed in your school. How would you feel if your daughter was in the class and witnessed this or think she may be next?!?!?
  • rr165892 said:

Only 3 officials tried to move her? There should have been at least 4.

Why not move the class outside and continue the lesson in the hallway? Who cares about the disruption to the learning environment?

Hilarious.

How hard is it to leave the classroom after being asked to leave? I'll answer. It's not hard.

If you choose to grandstand and act like an ass... you should be prepared to be treated like an ass.

Now go sue. Your rights as an ass were abused.
This discussion has been closed.