Police abuse

Comments

• callencallen Posts: 6,388

rr165892 said:

She wasn't arrested for chewing gum.She was arrested because when she was being moved she punched the cop.He was the 3rd school official to try to get the student to leave.
    He may have been a little heavy handed but this kid was being an asshole while in class.

Btw,the cop has a black girlfriend and all the kids say is a nice cool guy.very well liked.

Only 3 officials tried to move her? There should have been at least 4.

Why not move the class outside and continue the lesson in the hallway? Who cares about the disruption to the learning environment?

Hilarious.

How hard is it to leave the classroom after being asked to leave? I'll answer. It's not hard.

If you choose to grandstand and act like an ass... you should be prepared to be treated like an ass.

Now go sue. Your rights as an ass were abused.
    Yes why not move the class to another room. Why not call a counselor to feel with her rather than the military. Why not have 20 people try to resolve rather than going neandrathal on her. Yes all should be tried before a brutish cop is allowed I to the classroom.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • callen said:

this will be the third time.

One of the problems with your country.

Act like an ass. Get treated like an ass. Then sue because you didn't like getting treated like an ass. And be successful!

No wonder so many people act like asses. Your courts- and some attitudes- support asses.
    So you've never been an ass? Did you have cops enforcing g rules in your school when growing up? Ever seen a teen slammed in your school. How would you feel if your daughter was in the class and witnessed this or think she may be next?!?!?
    Funny you ask.

I was thrown through a row of desks and my teacher held me up against the chalkboard by the throat with his fist cocked at my face.

No shit.

When I got home that day with my ripped shirt and bruised body... and I told my parents... my dad never even looked up from the paper and my mother said, "Well... you must have done something."

And you know what? I did do something.

I'm not saying I deserved what I got, but I'm saying my parents weren't running to the school calling foul when I had my fair share of being an ass.

I acted like an ass and got treated like an ass.

* My daughter would never act that way. NEVER.

You make excuses for every poorly acting person in every walk of life, Callen. Can't anybody own their behaviours?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • callen said:

rr165892 said:

She wasn't arrested for chewing gum.She was arrested because when she was being moved she punched the cop.He was the 3rd school official to try to get the student to leave.
    He may have been a little heavy handed but this kid was being an asshole while in class.

Btw,the cop has a black girlfriend and all the kids say is a nice cool guy.very well liked.

Why not move the class outside and continue the lesson in the hallway? Who cares about the disruption to the learning environment?

Hilarious.

How hard is it to leave the classroom after being asked to leave? I'll answer. It's not hard.

If you choose to grandstand and act like an ass... you should be prepared to be treated like an ass.

Yes why not move the class to another room. Why not call a counselor to feel with her rather than the military. Why not have 20 people try to resolve rather than going neandrathal on her. Yes all should be tried before a brutish cop is allowed I to the classroom.
    Why not run to Starbucks and buy her a non-fat, double shot latte while you are at it?

Geezuz man. Do you ever listen to yourself?
    edited October 2015

callen said:

this will be the third time.

One of the problems with your country.

Act like an ass. Get treated like an ass. Then sue because you didn't like getting treated like an ass. And be successful!

No wonder so many people act like asses. Your courts- and some attitudes- support asses.
    So you've never been an ass? Did you have cops enforcing g rules in your school when growing up? Ever seen a teen slammed in your school. How would you feel if your daughter was in the class and witnessed this or think she may be next?!?!?
    Funny you ask.

I was thrown through a row of desks and my teacher held me up against the chalkboard by the throat with his fist cocked at my face.

No shit.

When I got home that day with my ripped shirt and bruised body... and I told my parents... my dad never even looked up from the paper and my mother said, "Well... you must have done something."

And you know what? I did do something.

I'm not saying I deserved what I got, but I'm saying my parents weren't running to the school calling foul when I had my fair share of being an ass.

I acted like an ass and got treated like an ass.

* My daughter would never act that way. NEVER.

You make excuses for every poorly acting person in every walk of life, Callen. Can't anybody own their behaviours?
    Wow. Unless you were in a fight and teacher had to break it up he assaulted you. My parents would of been at the school and called cops on this teacher.

Not defending this student. Not at all. If she did something wrong call her parents. Suspend her. Kick her out of school if so aggregious
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Why not run to Starbucks and buy her a non-fat, double shot latte while you are at it?

Do you listen to yourself? Want a cop to administer punishment to your daughter? How bout this cop?
  • callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Do you listen to yourself? Want a cop to administer punishment to your daughter? How bout this cop?
    If my daughter pushed things to that point- which I already said she wouldn't (she's not an idiot)- then I'd be questioning her decision making. I'd likely not be happy she got tossed in her desk, but I'd understand it.

I wouldn't be demanding the school stand on its head to tolerate and accommodate her obnoxious behaviour- that's where we differ.

callen said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

If my daughter pushed things to that point- which I already said she wouldn't (she's not an idiot)- then I'd be questioning her decision making. I'd likely not be happy she got tossed in her desk, but I'd understand it.

I wouldn't be demanding the school stand on its head to tolerate and accommodate her obnoxious behaviour- that's where we differ.
    Nothing to do with tolerating. All to do with how one deals with problems. Sending a thug cop into a classroom and slamming a minor is not the way to go.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    30b,our peace loving friends here woulda brought in balloons and a bag full of big hugs to solve this issue.Maybe read her a story or tried to relax her with a soothing massage.you guys crack me up.

30b is on point.The girl was acting like a class a jack knob and being belligerent,disrupting the class.Asked by multiple people of authority to leave peacefully.If first move was violent then I could understand thinking it was heavy handed.But it was 3 people all while this stupid petulant teen deify them.

My kids wouldn't have done this either.Because they were raised correctly.
    No wonder society is so fucking charming soft.Its people like my pals here who are afraid to act accordingly.Wouldnt want the other children to see the horrible violence.(how about the message no action woulda sent?)
    You guys should be happy.This is the non lethal approach you have been asking for.Nobody ended up in the hospital.
    rr165892 said:

30b,our peace loving friends here woulda brought in balloons and a bag full of big hugs to solve this issue.Maybe read her a story or tried to relax her with a soothing massage.you guys crack me up.

30b is on point.The girl was acting like a class a jack knob and being belligerent,disrupting the class.Asked by multiple people of authority to leave peacefully.If first move was violent then I could understand thinking it was heavy handed.But it was 3 people all while this stupid petulant teen deify them.

No wonder society is so fucking charming soft.Its people like my pals here who are afraid to act accordingly.Wouldnt want the other children to see the horrible violence.(how about the message no action woulda sent?)
    You guys should be happy.This is the non lethal approach you have been asking for.Nobody ended up in the hospital.

No your peace loving friends would have found a non violent solution. Being disruptive should not equate to police confrontation.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

sure let's inconvenience every other child and the teacher in that classroom because one girl wanted to act like an asshole. maybe a tad excessive but as said above act like an asshole get treated like an asshole. not a hard concept for most people to understand.
  • callen said:

rr165892 said:

No your peace loving friends would have found a non violent solution. Being disruptive should not equate to police confrontation.
    And as RR stated... it didn't until she wanted to push matters and insist on escalating the problem.

Allow her to hijack the class with brutal behaviour because the non violent solution had not been found? Brilliant!

I suppose they could have offered her a $50 gift card to Wal Mart? Did they try that? They tried to get her to peacefully leave the class with 3 people. I doubt another 3 would have done the trick.

Come to think of it... it was a teachable moment. If they had been thinking... they could have engaged the class in the process:
    Teacher: "Class. Claaassssss. Think about our problem here. Sally is mad and won't leave the class. We have tried to explain to her she needs to do so, but she still won't go. What do you think we could do to get her to go?"
    Johnny: "Sir. Just pull her out. I'm trying to learn the life cycle of the amoeba. I'm done watching Sally act like an ass."
    Teacher: "Now Johnny, that's not fair to sally. We're not concerned with the lesson or the rest of the students. We want sally to feel in complete control of this situation. Okay? Now how about another solution- one where sally feels like she really rocked the situation? Anyone? Anyone?"

Worth a shot anyways. I dunno.

Maybe a hypnotist? Maybe a guy like Obiwankenobi? Yes. YES! Think of it:
    Obnoxious girl: "I'm not leaving!"
    Obiwankenobi: "Yes you are. You want to leave."
    Obnoxious girl: "I'm leaving. I want to leave."

Then the teacher could continue with the lesson and the kids would refocus immediately because their minds wouldn't be thinking about the drama the obnoxious girl created and tried to revel in.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Why remove her from the classroom at all? Why not just waste her ass in her desk. Act like an ass and get treated like an ass.

Geez do you listen to yourself? Ridiculous.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    This crap from you two about how your kids would never act like that is just that...crap.
    Your kids have been asses just like every other kid out there, the difference is that they didn't get treated like this.
  • rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Why remove her from the classroom at all? Why not just waste her ass in her desk. Act like an ass and get treated like an ass.

You're head is in Lala Land.

Have you thought for a split second that perhaps her behaviour was such that continuing with the lesson was pointless?

Just an innocent poor poor little girl that has randomly been victimized.

This idea of yours is almost as awesome as the one where you said the cops should have gotten in their cars and ran away from the knife wielding maniac instead of dealing with him.

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Have you thought for a split second that perhaps her behaviour was such that continuing with the lesson was pointless?

This idea of yours is almost as awesome as the one where you said the cops should have gotten in their cars and ran away from the knife wielding maniac instead of dealing with him.
    What idea? The idea that a 120lb teenage girl can be removed from a classroom without such a hissyfit of a violent slam?
    No, I think your right, they should have tased her.
  • rgambs said:

This crap from you two about how your kids would never act like that is just that...crap.
    Your kids have been asses just like every other kid out there, the difference is that they didn't get treated like this.

Wrong again.

You're thinking about your kid in the future given the environment he's likely going to grow up in (you know... the general lack of respect towards authority that you consistently spout on these threads).

Not every kid is an ass. In fact, most are very reasonable and understand the concept of basic respect for authority and appropriate behaviours for the setting.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

What idea? The idea that a 120lb teenage girl can be removed from a classroom without such a hissyfit of a violent slam?
    How about the Obiwankenobi idea then? Or the hypnotist?

rgambs said:

Wrong again.

You're thinking about your kid in the future given the environment he's likely going to grow up in (you know... the general lack of respect towards authority that you consistently spout on these threads).

Not every kid is an ass. In fact, most are very reasonable and understand the concept of basic respect for authority and appropriate behaviours for the setting.
    Keep deluding yourself, No skin off my back.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

How about the Obiwankenobi idea then? Or the hypnotist?
    No, I think your right on this one.
    Tased and then hog-tied, drag her out on her belly.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Who said tasting her was the right thing to do? She was clearly not going to leave the class unless forcefully removed. That is what happened. She got what she demanded.

I know you wanted a 'student whisperer' to coo the right combination of words in her ear, but in the real world... there's not a lot of 'student whisperers'.

And you used the term 'deluded'?

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Who said tasting her was the right thing to do? She was clearly not going to leave the class unless forcefully removed. That is what happened. She got what she demanded.

I know you wanted a 'student whisperer' to coo the right combination of words in her ear, but in the real world... there's not a lot of 'student whisperers'.

Nobody said calling in a Jedi was the right thing to do either, but your weakness for ridiculously hyperbolic sarcasm put those words in others mouths, so turn around is fair game.
    Forceful removal is not a problem for me, it is the violence with which it was performed. It is not the duty of police to punish, despite your strong desire for them to do so.
    He could have lifted her out of that desk and carried her out like MANY officers have done over the years with those giving passive resistance...instead he went Montgomery lunch counter on her.
    I suppose you think those black folk being asses, refusing to leave the lunch counter, sitting in the front of the bus deserved what they got?
    pjhawks said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

sure let's inconvenience every other child and the teacher in that classroom because one girl wanted to act like an asshole. maybe a tad excessive but as said above act like an asshole get treated like an asshole. not a hard concept for most people to understand.
    Teenagers can be assholes. Normal behavior. We don't have cops going into classrooms to body slam minors.

rgambs said:

Wrong again.

FUCK AUTHORITY!
  • In all seriousness, the event was disturbing. I didn't like seeing it. And yes... I would have preferred a 'less physical' drag her from the class tactic.

But she demanded being dragged from the class. The emphasis seems to have switched from her excessive defiance and to how better the officer might have been able to handle the situation.

If he had begun punching her or something outrageous... I'd be with you. As it stands... I'm not: the girl got what she demanded- even if it might have been a touch more than what she might have hoped for.

Let's say they did nothing and just waited her out until the end of the period. Does she just go to her next class as if nothing happened? What do authorities do then? Wait it out one more time? And let's say they suspend her. What do they do if she shows up to school anyways?

There's obviously a line where physical interventions are necessary if a student selects a path that requires one. What we are really arguing about here is where that line is. I would contend that the line is after the third official tried to get her to leave. You cannot seriously expect them to stand there and scratch their heads- confounded by the ridiculous behaviour.

Not all problems have a peaceful solution that some suggest. If a kid demands to be dealt with in a forceful manner... what are authorities to do?
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Nobody said calling in a Jedi was the right thing to do either, but your weakness for ridiculously hyperbolic sarcasm put those words in others mouths, so turn around is fair game.
    Forceful removal is not a problem for me, it is the violence with which it was performed. It is not the duty of police to punish, despite your strong desire for them to do so.
    He could have lifted her out of that desk and carried her out like MANY officers have done over the years with those giving passive resistance...instead he went Montgomery lunch counter on her.
    I suppose you think those black folk being asses, refusing to leave the lunch counter, sitting in the front of the bus deserved what they got?
    Wow. What a reach this is.

You're comparing significant civil rights to this situation?

You either think very little of one situation or too much of another, but they are hardly comparable.

Yikes.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    callen said:

pjhawks said:

callen said:

I've answered this repeatedly. You are the product of your environment. Call the environment what you like. (Society).

You aren't special Thirty. Your views action opportunities are programmed by your environment.

What are you trying to say thirty? Please explain your question. Are you relating race with promiscuity? Is it a gene? If you feel so just say it.

how do you know how Thirty or anyone else on here was brought up or in what environment they were brought up in? I am sure there are some people on here who weren't brought up with a golden spoon in their mouth. stop it already.

I'm sorry did you grow up black in Chicago project?
    That question is interesting to me. I did not grow up in a project in Chicago but worked in pretty much all of them the past 18 years. Let me share this with you that might just blow your mind. Ever heard the term "keeping it real"? I have heard that term the past 20 years working the ghetto's of Chicago
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

So you call this future Brain surgeon a passive resister? that's fresh...you obviously are of the thinking that's police should be punching bags when responding to incidents like this.

Let me ask you this, when was the last time you had to put your hands on someone? I am going to have guess never. Take it from someone who has to put his hands on Dummies like this student on a daily basis, it rarely goes down as planned and it's never pretty...especially for Monday mourning QB's who have always been on the bench in life.

In all seriousness, the event was disturbing. I didn't like seeing it. And yes... I would have preferred a 'less physical' drag her from the class tactic.

But she demanded being dragged from the class. The emphasis seems to have switched from her excessive defiance and to how better the officer might have been able to handle the situation.

If he had begun punching her or something outrageous... I'd be with you. As it stands... I'm not: the girl got what she demanded- even if it might have been a touch more than what she might have hoped for.

Let's say they did nothing and just waited her out until the end of the period. Does she just go to her next class as if nothing happened? What do authorities do then? Wait it out one more time? And let's say they suspend her. What do they do if she shows up to school anyways?

There's obviously a line where physical interventions are necessary if a student selects a path that requires one. What we are really arguing about here is where that line is. I would contend that the line is after the third official tried to get her to leave. You cannot seriously expect them to stand there and scratch their heads- confounded by the ridiculous behaviour.

Not all problems have a peaceful solution that some suggest. If a kid demands to be dealt with in a forceful manner... what are authorities to do?

If he had removed her with a little less histrionics I would have no problem with it.

I don't care for the assumption that she was being an ass and using excessive defiance. Until it was dispelled, there was an assumption that she broke the law and whatnot. I think that is possibly ageist and racist.
    Did it never occur to y'all that she had been disrespected and was not being outrageous?

8th grade. Mr Chip Amicone is giving a (terrible) lesson in vocabulary. He explains epithet (incorrectly) as a mocking nickname, and says "for example, something like Levi-Peevi"
    My face got red, everyone laughed at me, so in a burst of inspiration, I said "Or like Chipped-Chopped Hamicone"
    His face got redder and he said "Go to the Principals office, now."
    "Why?"
    ""For disrespecting a teacher"
    "If you are going to disrespect me, I will too, maybe we should call the principal here and we can sort this out"
    "Open your books to blah de blah...."

Isn't it just as likely a scenario like this played out? Why do you make the assumption that she was a delinquent? Does that say something about how you view young people? Or young black people?

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

rr165892 said:

Hilarious.

Wow. What a reach this is.

You're comparing significant civil rights to this situation?

You either think very little of one situation or too much of another, but they are hardly comparable.

Yikes.
    This ties into my previous post.
    How do you know her civil rights weren't being violated?

The civil rights protesters of yore were breaking established laws and defying authority. By the logic you use in every single police discussion, they had violence coming to them, they asked for it.
    By the logic you use in every single police discussion, it doesn't matter whether they are right or just in their defiance, defiance of authority is deserving of violence.
    Sounds like this case fits right in.
  • rgambs said:

In all seriousness, the event was disturbing. I didn't like seeing it. And yes... I would have preferred a 'less physical' drag her from the class tactic.

If he had removed her with a little less histrionics I would have no problem with it.

I don't care for the assumption that she was being an ass and using excessive defiance. Until it was dispelled, there was an assumption that she broke the law and whatnot. I think that is possibly ageist and racist.
    Did it never occur to y'all that she had been disrespected and was not being outrageous?

8th grade. Mr Chip Amicone is giving a (terrible) lesson in vocabulary. He explains epithet (incorrectly) as a mocking nickname, and says "for example, something like Levi-Peevi"
    My face got red, everyone laughed at me, so in a burst of inspiration, I said "Or like Chipped-Chopped Hamicone"
    "Why?"
    "If you are going to disrespect me, I will too, maybe we should call the principal here and we can sort this out"

Isn't it just as likely a scenario like this played out? Why do you make the assumption that she was a delinquent? Does that say something about how you view young people? Or young black people?
    Not at all. Get over yourself. You just got smoked in this discussion with your silliness pitted against reason... and now you're switching tactics to paint me as a racist?

I assume that people in trouble with authority got into trouble. You assume people in trouble with authority were doing nothing except crossing paths with an authority figure with an axe to grind.

Did you see much protest from the other students? I didn't in the clip I saw. You want to know what I infer from that? She was being an ass.

* You ignored the questions I posed to you in the post you responded to. Would you care to answer them? Exactly how does the school deal with the scenarios I presented to you given that they are not far fetched and in line with the observable behaviour we witnessed?
  • rgambs said:

"Why?"

And herein lies the discontent that has grown within you?

A teacher makes an offhand comment, the class laughs, and RG grows indignant.

Here's an inference: it sounds as if the teacher was a dork. If he had a sense of humour, he would have laughed and supported the statement as another example of what he was trying to teach.

Here's another inference: it sounds as if RG is sensitive.
This discussion has been closed.