Police abuse

Comments

• callencallen Posts: 6,388

If we are going to record police doing their jobs... I think it's fair we record every person doing theirs as well. Not to mention cameras on every street corner so we can record criminals too.

Let's catch white collar criminals plotting greedy plans and let's catch everyday workers logging into the 10C when they should be servicing clients (stealing time from their place of employment).

There are cameras for other high risk occupations.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I get it. But damn, why do people feel the need to record EVERYTHING? These guys have enough to worry about with some dip shit standing there waiting for the next mistake. So yes, I say get a life. This person is harassing the cops. Do they not have rights?

This person is recording a violation of rights, if cops can't handle someone across the street holding a phone, they have no business in high-pressure life or death situations.

Your statement is tantamount to suggesting cops should have a right to impunity. If we can't record them and they investigate themselves that's exactly what it is, impunity at large.
    I'm talking about the low life that was 5 feet from the cops making an arrest. Move your ass out of the way. That woman is just an attention whore. Every fucking arrest does NOT need to be recorded. It's absurd. She s was just looking to be the next person that gets to be interviewed on cnn. Fuck her.
    When rights are being violated and your reaction is to be angry that the cops were busted, that says more about corruption in the brotherhood than a police critic ever could.
    I guess you are purposely missing my point. The stupid woman wouldn't have had her phone broken had she not decided to pull her phone out right next to cops that are making an arrest. She had no business being there. Period. Every fucking thing a cop does in his day to day operation does not need to be recorded by attention seeking whores.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I get it. But damn, why do people feel the need to record EVERYTHING? These guys have enough to worry about with some dip shit standing there waiting for the next mistake. So yes, I say get a life. This person is harassing the cops. Do they not have rights?

This person is recording a violation of rights, if cops can't handle someone across the street holding a phone, they have no business in high-pressure life or death situations.

Your statement is tantamount to suggesting cops should have a right to impunity. If we can't record them and they investigate themselves that's exactly what it is, impunity at large.
    I'm talking about the low life that was 5 feet from the cops making an arrest. Move your ass out of the way. That woman is just an attention whore. Every fucking arrest does NOT need to be recorded. It's absurd. She s was just looking to be the next person that gets to be interviewed on cnn. Fuck her.
    When rights are being violated and your reaction is to be angry that the cops were busted, that says more about corruption in the brotherhood than a police critic ever could.
    I guess you are purposely missing my point. The stupid woman wouldn't have had her phone broken had she not decided to pull her phone out right next to cops that are making an arrest. She had no business being there. Period. Every fucking thing a cop does in his day to day operation does not need to be recorded by attention seeking whores.
    Agree people need to stay away from activity but we can not ever restrict anyone from taking pictures of anyone/thing in public space. Fundamental right. And if I was a cop would hate having my every move recorded and empathize with them. But rights trump and that's a good thing. We 're not in china or Russia.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited April 2015
    I don't think it's a fundamental right for someone to be nosy.

Edit: if that woman was across the street, out of the way like the person who recorded her, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Edit: if that woman was across the street, out of the way like the person who recorded her, it wouldn't bother me at all.

In public yes it absolutely is. Think of what you are proposing to give up.
    callen said:

I'm not proposing to give up anything. I just don't think she needed to be in the way. Which she obviously was.

callen said:

I'm not proposing to give up anything. I just don't think she needed to be in the way. Which she obviously was.

Agree.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

dignin said:

How can anyone argue against more transparency?

So we are in agreement then?
    I think rgambs response has it covered.

Also, cops wearing cameras protects you, me and the cops. Same goes for the public recording cops.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

If we are going to record police doing their jobs... I think it's fair we record every person doing theirs as well. Not to mention cameras on every street corner so we can record criminals too.

Let's catch white collar criminals plotting greedy plans and let's catch everyday workers logging into the 10C when they should be servicing clients (stealing time from their place of employment).

I really don't see the connection at all... Quite a stretch to compare agents of the government with lethal authority abusing their powers with everyday employees logging into websites.
    The connection is blatantly obvious.

Do you fail to see the connection between your pot usage and some Mexican getting beheaded in Mexico as well?
    Blatantly obvious? What a joke. Comparing the private and public sector, police abuse with time theft in an office... You are stretching more than a yogi.

This pot thing is a deflection and it's a pathetic one, with a personal jag to it.

1st, I don't smoke much... I have been nursing a bud smaller than my thumb for 10 months..I have a newborn son and wasn't keen on smoking around my pregnant wife.
    2nd, I don't, haven't, wouldn't, and won't buy a bag of Mexican dirtweed. I smoke organic primo or not at all...fortunately it is pretty easy to come by, like Badbrains said.

So yeah, if you want to explain how it is blatantly obvious go ahead and try, if you want to keep deflecting try harder.
    I never limited it to office workers- I included every occupation. Why be selective?

And are you denying the interconnectivity between a consumer of the illegal drug trade and the violence associated with the illegal drug trade? Forget Mexico then... how about in the streets of Los Angeles or some other place?

You contribute more than you care to admit.
    I contribute ZERO to gangs, cartels, or other shady groups of the like and that's a fact jack! :bee:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I really don't see the connection at all... Quite a stretch to compare agents of the government with lethal authority abusing their powers with everyday employees logging into websites.

Do you fail to see the connection between your pot usage and some Mexican getting beheaded in Mexico as well?
    Blatantly obvious? What a joke. Comparing the private and public sector, police abuse with time theft in an office... You are stretching more than a yogi.

This pot thing is a deflection and it's a pathetic one, with a personal jag to it.

1st, I don't smoke much... I have been nursing a bud smaller than my thumb for 10 months..I have a newborn son and wasn't keen on smoking around my pregnant wife.
    2nd, I don't, haven't, wouldn't, and won't buy a bag of Mexican dirtweed. I smoke organic primo or not at all...fortunately it is pretty easy to come by, like Badbrains said.

So yeah, if you want to explain how it is blatantly obvious go ahead and try, if you want to keep deflecting try harder.
    I never limited it to office workers- I included every occupation. Why be selective?

And are you denying the interconnectivity between a consumer of the illegal drug trade and the violence associated with the illegal drug trade? Forget Mexico then... how about in the streets of Los Angeles or some other place?

I contribute ZERO to gangs, cartels, or other shady groups of the like and that's a fact jack! :bee:
    If you grow your own, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

If you buy it in a bag from some dude, I'd be of a different mindset. The illegal drug industry is built on offering it's product to consumers. Violence is associated with the production and distribution of illegal drugs. As such, the consumers are a part of the formula for the drug violence we experience.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

If you grow your own, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

If you buy it in a bag from some dude, I'd be of a different mindset. The illegal drug industry is built on offering it's product to consumers. Violence is associated with the production and distribution of illegal drugs. As such, the consumers are a part of the formula for the drug violence we experience.
    There is a pretty big middle ground between those two options!
    Ahhhh the good old days lol
    edited April 2015
    Did Rev. Cortly Witherspoon just say that someone named Judge Renquist declared that running from the police is against the law? I just heard it on CNN. I hope somebody else heard that or knows what he's talking about because I dont.

This guy is one of the protest organizers in Baltimore.
    Anyone have any guesses on how this guy died in Baltimore?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,091

Severed spine.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Did Rev. Cortly Witherspoon just say that someone named Judge Renquist declared that running from the police is against the law? I just heard it on CNN. I hope somebody else heard that or knows what he's talking about because I dont.

This guy is one of the protest organizers in Baltimore.

Police have probable cause to detain anyone that runs when they show up in a "high crime area".

Severed spine.
    Ok, I should have been more specific. Any guesses on how his spine got severed?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,085
    edited April 2015
    They gave the kid a rough ride probably in the back of one of those police Vans with out any seat belt or harness , I mean how else can you brake your spine on a ride in the back of police van ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

I'm not complaining.

I know. Another attempt at online humour fails.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambs said:

Have you ever entertained the thought that recorded video of police tactics and procedures may be studied by some dubious individuals to further their planning of a crime?

rgambs said:

Have you ever entertained the thought that recorded video of police tactics and procedures may be studied by some dubious individuals to further their planning of a crime?

No I hadn't.
    I don't see how much tactical advantage could be gained... The idea with crime is to not be engaged by police at all... Procedural knowledge is already pretty widely available.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No I hadn't.
    I don't see how much tactical advantage could be gained... The idea with crime is to not be engaged by police at all... Procedural knowledge is already pretty widely available.
    An even more dubious individual may want to know procedures of police that encounter suspects so if they were in a position similar they would know what was coming and may give them a slight advantage of escape/evade.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No I hadn't.
    An even more dubious individual may want to know procedures of police that encounter suspects so if they were in a position similar they would know what was coming and may give them a slight advantage of escape/evade.

I'd say such an individual has likely been exposed to the procedures of cops many times in their life.
    Even if this happens, I would say it is worth the risk to protectus from rogue officers.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No I hadn't.
    Wrong!!!! Suicide by cop happens almost daily in this country. Keep on trying
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No I hadn't.
    And??? How is that relevant???
    If a person wants to commit suicide by cop they don't need to study videos for intel.
    On top of that, there are thousands of videos of police procedures already available all over the internet so I don't see how this would be much of an issue.
  • I'm not complaining.

I know. Another attempt at online humour fails.
    Sorry.

I should have known better. I'll be better next time!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No I hadn't.
    If a person wants to commit suicide by cop they don't need to study videos for intel.
    On top of that, there are thousands of videos of police procedures already available all over the internet so I don't see how this would be much of an issue.
    Not what I was getting at Rgambs…You said the idea of crime is not to engage the police at all…Well pointing a gun or rushing and attacking the police is a crime as much as liberal society does not want it to be.
  • muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No I hadn't.
    Not what I was getting at Rgambs…You said the idea of crime is not to engage the police at all…Well pointing a gun or rushing and attacking the police is a crime as much as liberal society does not want it to be.
    A crime to conservative society, who's offended by everything.
    edited April 2015

rgambs said:

I have and also thought of police being identified when they do covert operations.

The police will have to adapt because the fundamental rights of being censored, as they do in China and Russia can't be a part of a free and civilized society.
    Post edited by callen on
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

No I hadn't.
    Liberals don't want their police force that they rely on for protection and understand and appreciate what they do in daily based to be seriously hurt or killed.

Being a police officer does though come with the bourdon of taking necessary response and there have been many instances in last few years, caught on camera that seems to show overstepping that line.

Pretty simple in my mind that challenge is appropriate response to threat.

I know it's hard at times in split second and give officers benefit of doubt but some instances are clear violations. They are very rare in totality.

As to using camera recording police, we can not take away this fundamental right but we can also not have a civilian get in the way of an operation.
  • But how long will the US be a "free and civilized society"? With these problems we're having and the talk of police shutting down the cell phone frequencies? We're already a conservative, fearful and on our way to a China and Russia type society.

But how long will the US be a "free and civilized society"? With these problems we're having and the talk of police shutting down the cell phone frequencies? We're already a conservative, fearful and on our way to a China and Russia type society.

Please explain to me how the police could jam a phone to prevent it from recording. If they could mess with the towers, it would prevent people from either making a call or connecting to the internet. But it wouldn't prevent people from recording unless laws were passed that make that illegal.

Either way, we are not even close to being a Russia or China type society.
This discussion has been closed.