Police abuse

Comments

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2015

But how long will the US be a "free and civilized society"? With these problems we're having and the talk of police shutting down the cell phone frequencies? We're already a conservative, fearful and on our way to a China and Russia type society.

The bill in Dallas to prevent recording has failed due to public backlash. Though I'm less and less reliant on Supreme Court to make correct decision (Scalia,Roberts Thomas) we have the courts. Finally the block won't keep one from recording but backing up as it's being shot. And we haven't seen this yet so try not to worry about what if's like my right leaning friends and their fears of being invaded by the Evildoers. ;)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I get it. But damn, why do people feel the need to record EVERYTHING? These guys have enough to worry about with some dip shit standing there waiting for the next mistake. So yes, I say get a life. This person is harassing the cops. Do they not have rights?

This person is recording a violation of rights, if cops can't handle someone across the street holding a phone, they have no business in high-pressure life or death situations.

Your statement is tantamount to suggesting cops should have a right to impunity. If we can't record them and they investigate themselves that's exactly what it is, impunity at large.
    Have you ever entertained the thought that recorded video of police tactics and procedures may be studied by some dubious individuals to further their planning of a crime?

No I hadn't.
    I don't see how much tactical advantage could be gained... The idea with crime is to not be engaged by police at all... Procedural knowledge is already pretty widely available.
    Wrong!!!! Suicide by cop happens almost daily in this country. Keep on trying
    And??? How is that relevant???
    If a person wants to commit suicide by cop they don't need to study videos for intel.
    On top of that, there are thousands of videos of police procedures already available all over the internet so I don't see how this would be much of an issue.
    Not what I was getting at Rgambs…You said the idea of crime is not to engage the police at all…Well pointing a gun or rushing and attacking the police is a crime as much as liberal society does not want it to be.
    Ahhh ok I get what you were saying now!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Those who frequent this thread might find this article interesting, particularly the second part as it deals with police response in our city to the screening of a documentary about the death of James Chasse, who died in police custody in Portland. It talks a little bit about some of the issues we grapple with here, particularly training of officers and what the real role of police is.

http://www.timescolonist.com/vicpd-chief-praised-for-attending-screening-of-custody-death-film-1.1864894
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

Those who frequent this thread might find this article interesting, particularly the second part as it deals with police response in our city to the screening of a documentary about the death of James Chasse, who died in police custody in Portland. It talks a little bit about some of the issues we grapple with here, particularly training of officers and what the real role of police is.

http://www.timescolonist.com/vicpd-chief-praised-for-attending-screening-of-custody-death-film-1.1864894

Huge props to Elsner and the Victoria PD. Looking for balanced solutions to these problems instead of just saying "Hey, if they didn't break the law they would still be alive". That's called being a leader.

Thanks for sharing oftenreading.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7102910?cps=gravity_3967_6057150082137241091

Fucking ludicrous...guy goes looking for trouble..creates some..and walks away from murdering a woman who did absolutely nothing wrong... No resisting arrest, no fighting, no running. Shot in the back of the head because some asshole detective went looking for trouble and had a hard on for shooting someone.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    rgambs said:

Fucking ludicrous...guy goes looking for trouble..creates some..and walks away from murdering a woman who did absolutely nothing wrong... No resisting arrest, no fighting, no running. Shot in the back of the head because some asshole detective went looking for trouble and had a hard on for shooting someone.

How did he get off without even mounting a defense?

rgambs said:

How did he get off without even mounting a defense?
    Seems pretty typical to me.
    Here are some of the details...http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7032474

He calls about a noise complaint
    He later leaves his house to "get food"
    He takes an unregistered handgun with him
    He starts an argument from his car with the group who is on foot
    He draws and fires his weapon when a guy pulls out a cellphone
    He gets off on manslaughter on a technicality

Manslaughter is based on "reckless behavior", the judge found this was "beyond reckless" and acquits the officer.
    Fucking crazy.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rgambs said:

Holy Crap G.... You really need to stop reading or atleast believing these sources you call news since you appear to be a smart guy. Atleast don't get mad about this once since it's all a load of shit the media feed to the dumber by the day public. See my pathetic shitties liberal media wanted to make this the Furgesen of 2015... Well it did not get the traction they were banking on and the REAL story somehow prevailed in court ....
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Holy Crap G.... You really need to stop reading or atleast believing these sources you call news since you appear to be a smart guy. Atleast don't get mad about this once since it's all a load of shit the media feed to the dumber by the day public. See my pathetic shitties liberal media wanted to make this the Furgesen of 2015... Well it did not get the traction they were banking on and the REAL story somehow prevailed in court ....
    What story is that exactly???? Don't dodge this, tell me what the REAL story is?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-cop-verdict-servin-edit-0423-20150422-story.html

The Judge was quoted as saying Boyd's shooting was "beyond reckless".
    "He said prosecutors had shown "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Servin killed Boyd, and that the officer fired the shots knowing they were likely to cause great bodily harm or death."
    "Citing case law, Porter said the charge was inappropriate: "The act of intentionally firing a gun at some person or persons on the street is an act that is so dangerous it is beyond reckless; it is intentional and the crime, if there be any, is first-degree murder.""

"Antonio Cross is a would-be cop killer, and that's all I have to say," Servin said.

Servin was making an off-duty burger run in his personal car when the confrontation occurred. He was not putting his life on the line to serve and protect.

Cross is not a would-be cop killer. His "weapon" turned out to be a cell phone. An aggravated assault charge against him was dropped in March 2013,"

Tell me Dan, where is the REAL story in this court and what is it?
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

What story is that exactly???? Don't dodge this, tell me what the REAL story is?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-cop-verdict-servin-edit-0423-20150422-story.html

"He said prosecutors had shown "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Servin killed Boyd, and that the officer fired the shots knowing they were likely to cause great bodily harm or death."
    "Citing case law, Porter said the charge was inappropriate: "The act of intentionally firing a gun at some person or persons on the street is an act that is so dangerous it is beyond reckless; it is intentional and the crime, if there be any, is first-degree murder.""

"Antonio Cross is a would-be cop killer, and that's all I have to say," Servin said.

Servin was making an off-duty burger run in his personal car when the confrontation occurred. He was not putting his life on the line to serve and protect.

Cross is not a would-be cop killer. His "weapon" turned out to be a cell phone. An aggravated assault charge against him was dropped in March 2013,"

It's prob with the "REAL" story about our soldiers being spit on when returning from Iraq. Somehow Faux missed that one to.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,085
    Ha ha you can throw any story at Muskydan and he has the answers , as far as he is concerned there is no police abuse problem on this country only people problems ....funny guy
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Sorry G, I can't do that for several obvious reasons....But perhaps over a beer after a show someday. As I said, you are a smart guy and I have started to appreciate your thoughts on issues over the past year unlike many of the others laughable opinions...but this one you are way off on since I was there in my madeup fantasy land job. As my favorite Rapper of all time Chuck D said....Don't believe the hype". It goes both ways you know. None the less, real sad stuff for all families involved.
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Sorry G, I can't do that for several obvious reasons....But perhaps over a beer after a show someday. As I said, you are a smart guy and I have started to appreciate your thoughts on issues over the past year unlike many of the others laughable opinions...but this one you are way off on since I was there in my madeup fantasy land job. As my favorite Rapper of all time Chuck D said....Don't believe the hype". It goes both ways you know. None the less, real sad stuff for all families involved.
    A bigoted so-called white cop quoting chuck-d. Amazing.
    badbrains said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Primo example of Laughable from this guy. All I know is if I called someone a name as bad as bigoted on here I would be banned for life...Different rules for different folks I guess...I am used to it working the ghetto.
    Everyone have a pleasant and safe Sunday Funday;)
    edited April 2015
    muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Primo example of Laughable from this guy. All I know is if I called someone a name as bad as bigoted on here I would be banned for life...Different rules for different folks I guess...I am used to it working the ghetto.
    Everyone (almost) here sees you're a bigot. I'm not the only one who's called you out on it, but yet you ONLY have a problem with me calling you out. Why, because I'm a Muslim? You don't like me cuz I see through your bullshit and call u out on it. As for your post about banning people for calling someone a bigot, are you trying to somehow hope the mods take your advice and ban me? Why? Because I always try to speak the truth? You may or may not be a cop and right about now I could careless. But you most def exaggerate stories for shock value. Enjoy your day taking "ghetto" whatever you want to call them for bumpy rides in your police cruiser.

Edit-and Dan, u most def have called people worse then bigot on these forums. Go read your posts in the thread Kat posted about Chicago PD.
    Post edited by badbrains on
    badbrains said:

muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Everyone (almost) here sees you're a bigot. I'm not the only one who's called you out on it, but yet you ONLY have a problem with me calling you out. Why, because I'm a Muslim? You don't like me cuz I see through your bullshit and call u out on it. As for your post about banning people for calling someone a bigot, are you trying to somehow hope the mods take your advice and ban me? Why? Because I always try to speak the truth? You may or may not be a cop and right about now I could careless. But you most def exaggerate stories for shock value. Enjoy your day taking "ghetto" whatever you want to call them for bumpy rides in your police cruiser.

Edit-and Dan, u most def have called people worse then bigot on these forums. Go read your posts in the thread Kat posted about Chicago PD.
    Laughable.... Have a Nice Day
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

It seems like you are saying there is a conspiracy at work here... If the facts of the case are factual as they have been reported, and are factual as they were presented in the courtroom, the case is clear as can be. If those circumstances are not factual you are talking about dozens of people conspiring together to create a false narrative to propagate race tensions... Sounds pretty kooky to me!

Was Servin not off-duty?
    Were charges against Cross not dropped?
    Did Boyd not get shot in the back of the head?
    What is this REAL story, if those facts, which are pretty much indisputable, aren't made up?
    muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

badbrains said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Laughable.... Have a Nice Day
    I am a comedian at heart
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

It seems like you are saying there is a conspiracy at work here... If the facts of the case are factual as they have been reported, and are factual as they were presented in the courtroom, the case is clear as can be. If those circumstances are not factual you are talking about dozens of people conspiring together to create a false narrative to propagate race tensions... Sounds pretty kooky to me!

Was Servin not off-duty?
    Were charges against Cross not dropped?
    Did Boyd not get shot in the back of the head?
    What is this REAL story, if those facts, which are pretty much indisputable, aren't made up?
    I can answer your first 3 questions:

-Yes
    -Sort of
    -Sort of

I will tell you this, when the call came out initially it was just another shooting in the ghetto w/ people down and fire is responding. That call literally comes out like that atleast 50-100 times a day on a hot summers night. Then the word got out on the street it was a off-duty detective who was the shooter and a city-wide 10-1 emergency (all police respond immediately) was called cause the locals were losing their minds breaking windows and doing what they do to their own community. As I said, sad situation for all involved. Just try not to believe all you read, especially this one.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Whatever might have happened afterward doesn't change whatever the facts were with the shooting itself.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    You're saying that on any given summer night, Chicago has 50-100 shootings with a man down? That's not at all exaggerated??

You're saying that on any given summer night, Chicago has 50-100 shootings with a man down? That's not at all exaggerated??

Hell yes, but whether they are bona fide or not is another story. I'd say 20-30% are bona fide. Lots and lots of people walk or are carried into emergency rooms w/ holes in them and 95% of the time they refuse to talk 2 the Police
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/fbi-overstated-forensic-hair-matches-in-nearly-all-criminal-trials-for-decades/2015/04/18/39c8d8c6-e515-11e4-b510-962fcfabc310_story.html

Decades of abuse, hundreds or thousands screwed, all in a day's work for the guys who can do no wrong.
    Absolute, balls to the wall insanity.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    double post
    sorry
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • rgambs said:

Decades of abuse, hundreds or thousands screwed, all in a day's work for the guys who can do no wrong.

Man
    At some point you have to concede that what you say sometimes is wrong

Decades of non-abuse from the majority of police. Hundreds, thousands, millions helped and all in a day's work from the guys that are human.

I find it very hard to believe that you have such an adamant stance against police.
  • rgambs said:

Man

Decades of non-abuse from the majority of police. Hundreds, thousands, millions helped and all in a day's work from the guys that are human.

I find it very hard to believe that you have such an adamant stance against police.
    I have no idea what is happening with quotes right now
    rg this is to you

rgambs said:

Man

What's wrong? Please point out where I need to concede.

It is beyond obvious that millions have been helped and not abused by police. I am not claiming otherwise. The vast majority of parents don't abuse their kids, does that mean we should ignore the ones who do? The vast majority of people don't rape anyone, does that make it a non-issue?

• rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Man

It is beyond obvious that millions have been helped and not abused by police. I am not claiming otherwise. The vast majority of parents don't abuse their kids, does that mean we should ignore the ones who do? The vast majority of people don't rape anyone, does that make it a non-issue?

I guess I have misread my take on your cyber profile.
    I just don't see you as being this guy to advocate police abuse issues.
    I really don't see you saying and acting like this to your real life friends/associates.
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Man

GREAT points by the new papa

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Man

I guess I have misread my take on your cyber profile.
    I just don't see you as being this guy to advocate police abuse issues.
    I really don't see you saying and acting like this to your real life friends/associates.
    I am a complicated fella what can I say lol
    I have various experiences on both sides of the law enforcement/criminal justice system, both good and bad.
    In real life I am absolutely a critic of police abuse/brotherhood issues. I was quite at odds with my EMT/Paramedic coworker/friends on these issues, but I don't have trouble keeping debates from getting too personal.

I now hold the record for most slashes in a post on the AMT!
This discussion has been closed.