Police abuse

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Saw that this morning - talk about jumping the gun! By the video shown, unwarranted. It even looked like the other officers were trying to intervene.

Also watched a nice counter of a "good cop".

All sorts of apples in the bins.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited June 2015
    The full video is unbelievable.

While the other cops seem to act like human beings, that one cop is out of control. He does a barrel roll like he's in a war zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46-XTqXkzE
    Post edited by dignin on
    hedonist said:

Saw that this morning - talk about jumping the gun! By the video shown, unwarranted. It even looked like the other officers were trying to intervene.

Agreed. Some trying to de escalate, while one was escalating the situation to the point where someone could have been killed.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:

hedonist said:

Agreed. Some trying to de escalate, while one was escalating the situation to the point where someone could have been killed.

This is where the whole debate gets sticky...some folks will say it's just one bad egg and move on, chastising some other folks for not recognizing the good police work done by the majority. Meanwhile the bad egg is protected by the good eggs and keeps his job because no one was there to make the good eggs hold the bad eggs accountable.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I'll take the chastising over being a part of compliance like some on these boards, whether they intend it or not.
    edited June 2015
    rgambs said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

This is where the whole debate gets sticky...some folks will say it's just one bad egg and move on, chastising some other folks for not recognizing the good police work done by the majority. Meanwhile the bad egg is protected by the good eggs and keeps his job because no one was there to make the good eggs hold the bad eggs accountable.
    Great point. At what point do the "good eggs" become "bad eggs" for letting things like this happen?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I have no problem calling out the assholes. Just saying all are not - and for me - it's important to shine a light on that from time to time.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Why can't these kids just listen to the cops? The girl that was tackled was running her mouth and not complying to the officers demands. It all boils down to one thing: COMPLY WITH THE POLICE.

Why can't these kids just listen to the cops? The girl that was tackled was running her mouth and not complying to the officers demands. It all boils down to one thing: COMPLY WITH THE POLICE.

In a heightened situation I think it should matter more that the POLICE would act in a more professional matter. Shouldn't that be what we take away from this video? Never mind if the kids were "running" their mouths. These were kids, and this fuckin' joke of a cop looked like he was going to shoot some of them.

dignin said:

In a heightened situation I think it should matter more that the POLICE would act in a more professional matter. Shouldn't that be what we take away from this video? Never mind if the kids were "running" their mouths. These were kids, and this fuckin' joke of a cop looked like he was going to shoot some of them.

That's what you take from the video? Of course cops should be as professional as possible. But there are 30 kids there. Who knows what COULD happen. Just listen to them and move on.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Did a quick view and cops were outnumbered and understood why they did what they did.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

Ha! The old cop was fearing for his life so drew his gun excuse. As I'm sure he will use as his defense. Afraid of a bunch of young teenagers armed with bathing suits and towels.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,412
    if the reports are true they crashed the pool party then that girl got what she deserved. let's not put all the focus on one cop doing his job where NO ONE WAS HURT because of it.
    dignin said:

Ha! The old cop was fearing for his life so drew his gun excuse. As I'm sure he will use as his defense. Afraid of a bunch of young teenagers armed with bathing suits and towels.

Have to see more video and slow it down but looks like a couple dudes tried to interfere with cop. Cop doesn't know what they have and he could easily be overpowered. Did he need to pull his gun. Probably not but understand why he did. He was in a bad spot. And as Last 12 pointed out the chick was resisting and no one was hurt.

Lived on apartment complex in inner city Houston and have seen pool parties like this get out of control. Sure cops felt unease about being seriously outnumbered.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,120
    if they crashed the party they should be asked to leave but to throw racial insults at them is just pathetic .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    A 15 year old girl in her bikini being tossed around like a rag doll, screaming for her momma, for mouthing of a cop. I just shake my head at everyone saying he was just doing his job. If that's acceptable behavior and the cop was just doing his job, then we are farther gone then I thought.
    Yea, it's insane in today's world, people still won't listen to simple instruction from a cop.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2015
    I think the cops were wishing that these kids got spanked when they were younger while they were trying to subdue a crowd of disrespectful youth,

They didn't spank them per se but they put them in their place for a moment.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,110
    The cop reacted badly. Looks to me like he tripped and was embarrassed. Had he shown more self-control things may have played out differently.

But...these cops were badly outnumbered. Police are always going to take control of a situation. If these kids had listened things also may have played out differently.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Police are not parents.
  • dignin said:

While the other cops seem to act like human beings, that one cop is out of control. He does a barrel roll like he's in a war zone.

He tripped. He didn't do a commando barrel roll like some donkey in a Seth Rogan movie. Geezuz man.

I'm starting to think some here feel that the moment cops come to any tricky situations... they should tuck their tail between their legs and whimper off. The cops showed incredible restraint as that gaggle of idiots grabbed at their gear multiple times as they were trying to gain control of the situation.

"They're just kids..." Yah. So what? They're not exactly toddlers and are they too stupid to understand things have escalated to a point where the police have been called sooo... party over? Move along... just like me and my friends did back in our day when the cops were called by someone needing their assistance.

I guess the police should have ignored the call and allowed the party to run its course? Is this what you are saying? Maybe you are saying the police should have come in and called everyone over for a nice talk about respecting people's property and offered all the kids rides home? I'm sure the kids would have responded very well to that tactic.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

dignin said:

He tripped. He didn't do a commando barrel roll like some donkey in a Seth Rogan movie. Geezuz man.

I'm starting to think some here feel that the moment cops come to any tricky situations... they should tuck their tail between their legs and whimper off. The cops showed incredible restraint as that gaggle of idiots grabbed at their gear multiple times as they were trying to gain control of the situation.

"They're just kids..." Yah. So what? They're not exactly toddlers and are they too stupid to understand things have escalated to a point where the police have been called sooo... party over? Move along... just like me and my friends did back in our day when the cops were called by someone needing their assistance.

I guess the police should have ignored the call and allowed the party to run its course? Is this what you are saying? Maybe you are saying the police should have come in and called everyone over for a nice talk about respecting people's property and offered all the kids rides home? I'm sure the kids would have responded very well to that tactic.
    You seem downright desperate to defend cops. Nobody grabbed at his gear until he assaulted a teenage girl for no reason. Power tripping asshole. She was walking away, he told them to disperse and they were complying, but because he didn't approve of her use of free speech he decided to assault her. He's lucky he didn't get knocked out. I don't care who you are, I am swinging at your face hard if you lay hands on a woman without provocation.
    The girl is sitting on her butt making no aggressive moves.
    "ON YOUR FACE!"
    Cops have to be able to protect themselves. When the cop tried to subdue the girl he had two guys come up from behind. Sorry but his life was in danger and he rightfully needed to take evasive actions. He didn't shoot anyone. He didn't beat anyone up. We created this society with our gun happy culture. This is what happens. Also don't feel this has anything to do with race.

Cops where called to assist security guard that was over matched by twitter party invite violating pool rules of guests per tenant. Police came to assist and sure if the teens left we wouldn't be hearing of this.

There's a balance to this and I'm very critical of police and recent events. This though may be going to far.

As to racist comment like to hear more details.
    callen said:

Cops have to be able to protect themselves. When the cop tried to subdue the girl he had two guys come up from behind. Sorry but his life was in danger and he rightfully needed to take evasive actions. He didn't shoot anyone. He didn't beat anyone up. We created this society with our gun happy culture. This is what happens. Also don't feel this has anything to do with race.

Cops where called to assist security guard that was over matched by twitter party invite violating pool rules of guests per tenant. Police came to assist and sure if the teens left we wouldn't be hearing of this.

There's a balance to this and I'm very critical of police and recent events. This though may be going to far.

The problem is that the cop had no reason to "subdue" the girl in the first place. He wasn't responding to a dangerous situation, that's bullshit, he was CREATING a dangerous situation.

Damn her and her exercise of free speech in the face of authority. Inexcusable.
    Looked like she was complying to me considering he had to run over to her as she walked away.
    As I stated before, the other cops seemed to be behaving like normal human beings. It was one cop who was out of control and on a power trip. It was obvious in the video.

I guess I hold the police in higher regard than the police apologists here on the AMT. I expect more from them then what I am seeing by all these recent incidents.

As I was watching the video I also wondered why the cop never made the person who was taking the video sit down.....or even arrest him for not dispersing. Turns out he was white.

Brandon Brooks, 15, who shot the video, told a TV station that Officer Casebolt had not confronted him, one of the few white teenagers at the party.

“I was one of the only white people in the area when that was happening,” he told the station. “You can see in part of the video where he tells us to sit down, and he kind of like skips over me and tells all my African-American friends to go sit down.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/09/us/mckinney-tex-pool-party-dispute-leads-to-police-officer-suspension.html
    rgambs said:

callen said:

The problem is that the cop had no reason to "subdue" the girl in the first place. He wasn't responding to a dangerous situation, that's bullshit, he was CREATING a dangerous situation.
    Do we know what happened prior to video?
    callen said:

rgambs said:

callen said:

Do we know what happened prior to video?
    The full story hasn't been told yet, but so far there are no reports of violence.
    In the quoted statement I was speaking only to the context of the asshole cop and his immediate surroundings. This wasn't a tense stand off, it was one asshole surrounded by a bunch of rubbernecking teens.

The pulling of the weapon was justified as he was being threatened at that moment, but that is a situation he created, not encountered.
    I was tailgating a Browns game one year when a 15-20 man brawl broke out, none of the responding officers acted like this asshole. Through all the shouting and crowds, the bloody noses and unruly drunks, the officers kept their cool and de-escalated the situation.
    That's the difference between exemplary police work and a power tripping asshole who deserves a fist to the jaw.
This discussion has been closed.