Police abuse

Comments

• PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Decades of abuse, hundreds or thousands screwed, all in a day's work for the guys who can do no wrong.
    Absolute, balls to the wall insanity.

Man
    At some point you have to concede that what you say sometimes is wrong

Decades of non-abuse from the majority of police. Hundreds, thousands, millions helped and all in a day's work from the guys that are human.

I find it very hard to believe that you have such an adamant stance against police.
    What's wrong? Please point out where I need to concede.

It is beyond obvious that millions have been helped and not abused by police. I am not claiming otherwise. The vast majority of parents don't abuse their kids, does that mean we should ignore the ones who do? The vast majority of people don't rape anyone, does that make it a non-issue?

I guess I have misread my take on your cyber profile.
    I just don't see you as being this guy to advocate police abuse issues.
    I really don't see you saying and acting like this to your real life friends/associates.
    I now hold the record for most slashes in a post on the AMT!
    cue hedo
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007

i_lov_it said:

i_lov_it said:

i_lov_it said:

Yeah it is hard to watch and the footage and a bit dsgusting at first then when you really think about it what the guy was doing I mean really what did he expect and the Cop did what he had to do and atleast people lived so problem dissolved there.

I respect this post.

I respect it because initially I got the impression you felt differently. Now it seems upon further reflection, you have come to another point of view- it's not signalling that you have abandoned your value system.

Many here- including myself at times- become very rigid in our positions. This is not an ideal quality. Changing your point of view after discussion demonstrates much.
    Yeah of course I see where your coming from but my point of view has not changed and I'm sorry you ***FEEL*** that way...So upon further "Reflection" of this incident I was CLEARLY just extending on what I said.
    Maybe read those two posts of yours and note the differences within them. You might then be able to understand how a reader could think you had changed your perspective.

This post is weird given the pm you sent me.
    Just simply Thanking you for your honesty mate no "Dramas"...and that's right is your avatar pic Pike Place?
    Pike Place... correct!

It's the Eddie Vedder solo show poster when he performed at the Benaroyal Hall.

* With regards to the other stuff... all is good (I hope).
    Hey excellent I've been to Pike Place as well...yep all good Mate.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is there a police brutality issue in America?
    Is there a problem with the system of investigating and punishing police malfeasance?
    This very good article seems to indicate a yea to both questions. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2015/04/11/thousands-dead-few-prosecuted/
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    "Such testimony carries almost unequalled weight with judges and juries because police officers are considered highly credible eyewitnesses as well as experts in the proper use of force, according to prosecutors and defense attorneys. Moreover, because officers so rarely cross the “thin blue line” to testify against a colleague, their evidence can be especially powerful."

This paragraph says a lot.

"Such testimony carries almost unequalled weight with judges and juries because police officers are considered highly credible eyewitnesses as well as experts in the proper use of force, according to prosecutors and defense attorneys. Moreover, because officers so rarely cross the “thin blue line” to testify against a colleague, their evidence can be especially powerful."

This paragraph says a lot.

It really does. It speaks volumes about that culture of protecting each other to the point of breaching the boundaries of the law and moral standards that I speak of often.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I suppose those of you who think the cops are trigger happy should think about this.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/us/new-york-police-officer-shot-dies/index.html
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,121

I suppose those of you who think the cops are trigger happy should think about this.

Yeah that sucks young kid 25 killed in the line of duty , but this has nothing to do with the other cases in the news No one here is advocating for police to be gunned down I respect all that 1st responders stand for ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I suppose those of you who think the cops are trigger happy should think about this.

Yeah that sucks young kid 25 killed in the line of duty , but this has nothing to do with the other cases in the news No one here is advocating for police to be gunned down I respect all that 1st responders stand for ...
    When many spend much of their time trying to demonize police (whether knowingly or not)... this story does have it's place in a thread like this.

In my opinion anyways.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

So young, what a tragedy! It's a shame there are folks out there cold enough to do something like this.
  • rgambs said:

So young, what a tragedy! It's a shame there are folks out there cold enough to do something like this.
    Yeah. Well said. Should be said more, really, because it puts it about as simple as one could put it. Debate motivation all you want, but ultimately, someone has lost their humanity to do something like this.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/video-shows-deputy-smash-autistic-mans-skull-ground-killing-joking/

Video Shows Deputy Smash Autistic Man’s Skull into the Ground, Killing Him for Joking Around
    Heard this on the radio today and it was great

Former cop builds crucial database on fatal U.S. police shootings

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-may-14-2015-1.3073887/former-cop-builds-crucial-database-on-fatal-u-s-police-shootings-1.3073970
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,169
    dignin said:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/video-shows-deputy-smash-autistic-mans-skull-ground-killing-joking/

Video Shows Deputy Smash Autistic Man’s Skull into the Ground, Killing Him for Joking Around

It's odd from the beginning for some reason I could tell which officer was going to do the fatal take down. The autistic man only put out his hand because he was trying to protect himself not attacking or in any way become aggressive towards the officer. I wonder what has happened in this case?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p said:

dignin said:

It's odd from the beginning for some reason I could tell which officer was going to do the fatal take down. The autistic man only put out his hand because he was trying to protect himself not attacking or in any way become aggressive towards the officer. I wonder what has happened in this case?

Peace

That's not how I saw it at all.

The autistic man was gesturing at all the officers and was not in protection mode. He was agitating.

With that said, I could tell who the offending officer was as well. Further, this is clearly a case of aggression as the autistic man was clearly no threat regardless of his pointing and 'touching'. The abusive cop is an ass and should face charges. I'm pretty sure he never meant to kill him, but ultimately, assaulting that harmless fellow was like attacking a child- it was malicious... just plain mean.

The first cop was very patient and professional. I hate to point this out, but if they were moving the man to a holding cell, they likely should have cuffed him. Doing so speaks to the value of the procedure and would have at least saved this situation.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cleveland-officer-michael-brelo-not-guilty-in-deaths-of-2-unarmed-suspects-1.3085093

Cleveland officer Michael Brelo not guilty in deaths of 2 unarmed suspects
    13 officers fired 137 shots after high-speed chase
  • dignin said:
    In Canada, as you know, the only cops with assault rifles are ERT- specially trained to deal with volatile situations.

Does arming every cop on the block with an assault rifle and related gear alter mentalities? I never got the impression these cops were special forces.

dignin said:
    In Canada, as you know, the only cops with assault rifles are ERT- specially trained to deal with volatile situations.

Does arming every cop on the block with an assault rifle and related gear alter mentalities? I never got the impression these cops were special forces.
    Yeah, It's becoming a real problem. It's not that I don't think police shouldn't be properly armed, they should. But this militarization of American police forces is going in the wrong direction. I'm also worried that were not to far behind here in Canada.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    ^^^^^ This is not a guy who intended suicide by cop. This was a guy who was lying in bed in his own home, drunk and maudlin and regretting his relapse. He didn't call the police himself, or go out seeking them - his girl friend called the police. The whole issue of whether she felt threatened in the situation is a red herring - she wasn't locked in the house with him, she was safe outside.

Yes, intoxicated people are unpredictable. However, I've been involved with literally dozens of cases when the police successfully deal with intoxicated suicidal people. The properly trained and motivated officers have a calmer, slower, approach that builds rapport with the individual which goes a long way toward getting them to a safe place. The running-in-all-guns-blazing approach just escalates the situation.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ^^^^^ This is not a guy who intended suicide by cop. This was a guy who was lying in bed in his own home, drunk and maudlin and regretting his relapse. He didn't call the police himself, or go out seeking them - his girl friend called the police. The whole issue of whether she felt threatened in the situation is a red herring - she wasn't locked in the house with him, she was safe outside.

Yes, intoxicated people are unpredictable. However, I've been involved with literally dozens of cases when the police successfully deal with intoxicated suicidal people. The properly trained and motivated officers have a calmer, slower, approach that builds rapport with the individual which goes a long way toward getting them to a safe place. The running-in-all-guns-blazing approach just escalates the situation.

I'm not going to lie... I looked up 'maudlin'. I annoint you the vocabulary king of the MT.

I'm pretty sure you casually tossed another humdinger out there last week as well. Your stock is soaring!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,465
    dignin said:
    who knows what actually happened in the house, but at the moment, all the evidence points to "it's almost my coffee break....let's wrap this up".

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    dignin said:
    Wow, u can't make this shit up. Unreal
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,465
    badbrains said:
    How did I know this exact post was going to happen. Seriously, as soon as I saw that article, I thought "bet badbrains is going to post it and try to bait musky with it". Lol.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:
    How did I know this exact post was going to happen. Seriously, as soon as I saw that article, I thought "bet badbrains is going to post it and try to bait musky with it". Lol.

There's also a video going viral of the cpd coo sleeping in his cruiser.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

^^^^^ This is not a guy who intended suicide by cop. This was a guy who was lying in bed in his own home, drunk and maudlin and regretting his relapse. He didn't call the police himself, or go out seeking them - his girl friend called the police. The whole issue of whether she felt threatened in the situation is a red herring - she wasn't locked in the house with him, she was safe outside.

I'm not going to lie... I looked up 'maudlin'. I annoint you the vocabulary king of the MT.

I'm pretty sure you casually tossed another humdinger out there last week as well. Your stock is soaring!
    :smile:

Heavy lies the head that wears the crown

Not sure I can live up to the pressure.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    A suburban Dallas police officer has been placed on leave after a video showed him pushing a 14-year-old girl in a bikini to the ground outside a pool and pointing his gun at other black teens.

Thankfully, he didn't shoot

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mckinney-texas-police-officer-on-leave-after-video-shows-him-pushing-teen-pointing-gun-1.3104212

This discussion has been closed.