Police abuse

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    If anyone wondered what white privilege and  supporting systemic racism looked like they could find it all here on the “back the blue” thread that this has become.
    Ridiculous. 
    Do you think there is a police violence problem in this country especially when it comes to dealing with young Black males?
    I have no desire to go back and forth on this issue with you. No disrespect, honestly. We will never see eye to and there’s nothing wrong with that. I respect your opinion, passion and the way you communicate your point, unlike others here.  I’m with Ledbetterman10 on this one. 
    I understand that you will never agree with me on this.  As for the question I asked , do you think that we have a problem with overly aggressive police in America especially when it comes to young Black men? I would really like to know your thoughts here. Like is it an illusion, or do you believe that maybe cops are more violent than t he y should be, or do you straight up think we’re good with the current state of policing in America?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    vant0037 said:
    Is anyone interesting in discussing this, or just arguing a point to win?

Let's strip away everything contextual about this: the officer's experience, the victim's race and warrants, social media.  Take it all away.

Look at the raw facts of the case:

An officer - apparently accidentally - mistook a lethal weapon for a non-lethal one and shot someone who by rights she didn't think needed to be shot.  You're left with a very poorly trained or poorly performing officer and a dead 20 year old who didn't need to be killed.  That should piss you off, and outrage you because this is precisely the opposite of what we want in police officers.  There are certain professions where some mistakes can't be tolerated, if only because the stakes are usually very high.  Airline pilots, doctors, and people who carry deadly weapons as tools of the trade.  Cops do NOT have a safe or easy job.  They go into shitty situations and have lots of stress and tough calls to make.  But until they are drafted involuntarily, it is a position that they choose to be in.  If its a voluntary choice, then they need to be expected to be held to a higher standard of precision.  In short, you cannot make a mistake like the one made here.  Let's all agree on that.

Let's agree that this cop shouldn't have a job anymore (she doesn't), at minimum.  Let's also agree that, if you review Minnesota's applicable laws on negligent homicide, it probably warrants a criminal investigation into her conduct.  I've looked at the statute, and I can make a case that what we know to be true from this video COULD meet the elements of a negligent homicide/manslaughter etc.  I make no guess as to whether charges will be filed or whether she could be convicted, but suffice it to say, an investigation is coming and justified.

Now, add in the mountain of context:

Daunte Wright had a criminal record, or at least, charges against him and warrants.  He had possessed a weapon before.  He probably wasn't, at all times in his life, a law abiding citizen. But in America, even murderers and pedophiles cannot be executed or killed outside of a state-sanctioned execution unless the officer's use of deadly force is authorized under state law. Again, looking at Minnesota's use-of-force statute, which was just revised in 2020 and applying it to the facts we know in this case, she simply wasn't authorized to use deadly force here.

Daunte Wright was an African-American.  The officer was white.  Daunte Wright was attempting to flee, and there's no evidence that he was reaching for a gun.  You can reasonably infer that from the video and the officer's statements.

Meanwhile, about 10 miles away, the biggest trial in Minnesota history - and perhaps the biggest trial involving an officer charged with murder in modern US history - was in its 3rd week.  There, the white officer was charged with killing an African-American man who also had a criminal history, but who, like Daunte Wright, probably wasn't a threat to the officer, or at least in a way that would warrant lethal force.

So...

We can debate all day about whether Lebron James is correct about black people being hunted or not, or semantically about whether Daunte Wright was a saint or not, or who said what or whether Trump is going to prove us all wrong.  Let's all take a deep breath a set our political views aside for a second and agree on what we all should be able to agree on.

The bare facts of this killing should outrage you from a public safety standpoint.  Cops are humans but their margin for error has to be much, much smaller than this.  Let's agree on that.

Let's all also agree that whatever our politics are, it might understandable why people are outraged by Daunte Wright's death, if only because the actors all look so familiar, and the facts of the killing are arguably just as egregious as the Floyd case or the Philando Castile case or the Eric Garner case or the Breonna Taylor case.  A black victim killed by an officer who was in most cases either white or a different color than the victim.  If you're white and having a hard time agreeing with that statement, consider at least, that you have not lived the black experience in America.  There are reams of studies and data that prove your white experience and your relationship with the criminal justice system is not the same as a person of colors.  Let's all agree that its possible that persons of color might have had different experiences in their lives with law enforcement.

Are those positions so crazy?

Apologies for the novel.  But the bickering about nitpicky little points seemed very beside the issue, when this case above many others seems so ripe for agreement that what the cop did - mistakenly or not - was really bad, perhaps criminally bad.
    excellent post
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i don't know about you all, but when i eat soup i routinely accidently grab a fork instead of a spoon.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    vant0037 said:
    Is anyone interesting in discussing this, or just arguing a point to win?

Let's strip away everything contextual about this: the officer's experience, the victim's race and warrants, social media.  Take it all away.

Look at the raw facts of the case:

An officer - apparently accidentally - mistook a lethal weapon for a non-lethal one and shot someone who by rights she didn't think needed to be shot.  You're left with a very poorly trained or poorly performing officer and a dead 20 year old who didn't need to be killed.  That should piss you off, and outrage you because this is precisely the opposite of what we want in police officers.  There are certain professions where some mistakes can't be tolerated, if only because the stakes are usually very high.  Airline pilots, doctors, and people who carry deadly weapons as tools of the trade.  Cops do NOT have a safe or easy job.  They go into shitty situations and have lots of stress and tough calls to make.  But until they are drafted involuntarily, it is a position that they choose to be in.  If its a voluntary choice, then they need to be expected to be held to a higher standard of precision.  In short, you cannot make a mistake like the one made here.  Let's all agree on that.

Let's agree that this cop shouldn't have a job anymore (she doesn't), at minimum.  Let's also agree that, if you review Minnesota's applicable laws on negligent homicide, it probably warrants a criminal investigation into her conduct.  I've looked at the statute, and I can make a case that what we know to be true from this video COULD meet the elements of a negligent homicide/manslaughter etc.  I make no guess as to whether charges will be filed or whether she could be convicted, but suffice it to say, an investigation is coming and justified.

Now, add in the mountain of context:

Daunte Wright had a criminal record, or at least, charges against him and warrants.  He had possessed a weapon before.  He probably wasn't, at all times in his life, a law abiding citizen. But in America, even murderers and pedophiles cannot be executed or killed outside of a state-sanctioned execution unless the officer's use of deadly force is authorized under state law. Again, looking at Minnesota's use-of-force statute, which was just revised in 2020 and applying it to the facts we know in this case, she simply wasn't authorized to use deadly force here.

Daunte Wright was an African-American.  The officer was white.  Daunte Wright was attempting to flee, and there's no evidence that he was reaching for a gun.  You can reasonably infer that from the video and the officer's statements.

Meanwhile, about 10 miles away, the biggest trial in Minnesota history - and perhaps the biggest trial involving an officer charged with murder in modern US history - was in its 3rd week.  There, the white officer was charged with killing an African-American man who also had a criminal history, but who, like Daunte Wright, probably wasn't a threat to the officer, or at least in a way that would warrant lethal force.

So...

We can debate all day about whether Lebron James is correct about black people being hunted or not, or semantically about whether Daunte Wright was a saint or not, or who said what or whether Trump is going to prove us all wrong.  Let's all take a deep breath a set our political views aside for a second and agree on what we all should be able to agree on.

The bare facts of this killing should outrage you from a public safety standpoint.  Cops are humans but their margin for error has to be much, much smaller than this.  Let's agree on that.

Let's all also agree that whatever our politics are, it might understandable why people are outraged by Daunte Wright's death, if only because the actors all look so familiar, and the facts of the killing are arguably just as egregious as the Floyd case or the Philando Castile case or the Eric Garner case or the Breonna Taylor case.  A black victim killed by an officer who was in most cases either white or a different color than the victim.  If you're white and having a hard time agreeing with that statement, consider at least, that you have not lived the black experience in America.  There are reams of studies and data that prove your white experience and your relationship with the criminal justice system is not the same as a person of colors.  Let's all agree that its possible that persons of color might have had different experiences in their lives with law enforcement.

Are those positions so crazy?

Apologies for the novel.  But the bickering about nitpicky little points seemed very beside the issue, when this case above many others seems so ripe for agreement that what the cop did - mistakenly or not - was really bad, perhaps criminally bad.
    excellent post
    agreed.

definitely criminally bad. accidently killing someone is manslaughter.

arrest and charge her immediately.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    So how do we all feel about this one? Should have complied? Or maybe the lieutenant was hiding something? Nothing to see here folks just good ol non biased policing.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    i don't know about you all, but when i eat soup i routinely accidently grab a fork instead of a spoon.
    lol, yeah, that explanation isn't believable in the least (to me, anyway). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 
    when you hold a taser out in front of you and a gun out in front of you, when you aim down the sight, they both look different, right? the handles feel different in your hands, right? i mean, come on. that explanation is laughable.

when you hold a taser out in front of you and a gun out in front of you, when you aim down the sight, they both look different, right? the handles feel different in your hands, right? i mean, come on. that explanation is laughable.
    that said, my forks and spoons feel the same, haha

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

Kim Potter....another responsible gun owner!

I own a gun and like blunts.  Should I be murdered for an air freshener hanging from my rearview mirror?

The reason this pisses me off so much is because a similar scenario happened to me.  Pulled over in MN for an air freshener.  One of those stupid little pine trees.

I'm driving home from Des Moines to Minneapolis.  I got my car washed in Iowa.  They put the air freshener there, being unfamiliar with MN air freshener laws.  I was a recent transplant, also unfamiliar with MN air freshener law.   

Cop comes up to the car and the air freshener was an obvious excuse to stick his nose in my car and start poking around.  He starts asking questions, trying find something, anything to pin on me.  Unnecessarily and intentionally trying to get me riled up. 

I'm professional, and was wearing a suit at the time.  Being fresh out of college, they question me for being too young to be so professional.  So many questions: who are you, where are you going, anything in the car, and so on.  

It was never about the air freshener.  It was about harassing someone just trying to get home from work.
    I'd be pissed too if I were you in that scenario. And nobody think he should've been shot. But let's throw out the notion that it was an accidental discharge, and go with the popular narrative around here that cops hunt black people and want to murder them. And as a lot of people say, even if you comply, you can still get killed. Alright, well then if you don't comply, you're likely going to get killed. So why resist and put yourself at the mercy of racist cops?  I don't know. It's horrible that he shot like that and the cop should face major consequences. But while you both got pulled for air-fresheners (which is dumb in it's own right), you didn't have an active warrant that would require an arrest. And if you did, I doubt you're trying to break from the handcuffs and speed away. 
    Literally no one has said that around here.  What has been said over and over is that there is racism inherent in our policing system and that for some reason(racism) cops are more scared of their lives at a traffic stop with People of Color than they are with white mass shooters.  People the. Bend over backwards to come up with any theory they can that doesn’t point to the issue, which is systemic racism and bad policing.  Then obfuscate the facts with made up anecdotes about hunting people...
    That's fair enough, I attributed a LeBron James quote to this place based on a similar sentiments, which I shouldn't do.

Is that not true? Are you that fucking blind? To inherent, systemic racism through all levels of ‘Murican society? From birth to death, no less.

Is it true that black people are, as James says here, "literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!"? No, it's not.  

Do you not think that every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive? Do you worry about that yourself? Probably not because I assume that you're white. That's what white privilege is.

Y'all acting like this is just one instance and want to isolate it as such, to make it seem that its not "systemic" or a "problem." If they had only complied. Fucking George Floyd complied and was murdered. Breonna Taylor was sleeping in her bed. Ahmaud Arbery was out for a jog. James Byrd was walking home. In 1998. Not all killed by cops but if nobody noticed, would there have been consequences?

And y'all should go back to page 1 of this thread and read forward. One of the OP's outrages had to do with someone who was beaten to death by cops (not arguing it was okay). He had somewhere around 96 previous run ins with law enforcement. And he was white. 96 > 2. Can't even go to church without looking over their shoulder. Hunted? Seems like it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Yea, no issue. Race doesn't play into it. At fucking all. Just mistakes.

Over the past five years there has been no reduction in the racial disparity in fatal police shooting victims despite increased use of body cameras and closer media scrutiny, according to a new report by researchers at Yale and the University of Pennsylvania.

Using information from a national database compiled and maintained by The Washington Post, researchers found that victims identifying as Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC), whether armed or unarmed, had significantly higher death rates compared with whites. And those numbers remained relatively unchanged from 2015 to May 2020. The report appears in the Oct. 27 edition of the Journal of Epidemiology and Public Health.

While the data are already publicly available, the researchers decided to enter it into the scientific literature and present it using methods that are accepted by science as rigorous and robust. It’s critical, said author Dowin Boatright, assistant professor of emergency medicine at Yale, that fatal police shootings of BIPOC are recognized and treated as a public health emergency.

In an analysis of 4,653 fatal shootings for which information about both race and age were available, the researchers found a small but statistically significant decline in white deaths (about 1%) but no significant change in deaths for BIPOC. There were 5,367 fatal police shootings during that five-year period, according to the Post’s database. In the case of armed victims, Native Americans were killed by police at a rate three times that of white people (77 total killed). Black people were killed at 2.6 times the rate of white people (1,265 total killed); and Hispanics were killed at nearly 1.3 times the rate of white people (889 total killed). Among unarmed victims, Black people were killed at three times the rate (218 total killed), and Hispanics at 1.45 times the rate of white people (146 total killed).

“Those killed by police on average are young people — the average age for all victims is 34,” Boatright said. “For Black people, the average age is 30.” For Hispanics killed, the average age is 33; for Native Americans, 31; and for white people, 38.

Racial disparity in police shootings unchanged over 5 years | YaleNews

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

I own a gun and like blunts.  Should I be murdered for an air freshener hanging from my rearview mirror?

The reason this pisses me off so much is because a similar scenario happened to me.  Pulled over in MN for an air freshener.  One of those stupid little pine trees.

I'm driving home from Des Moines to Minneapolis.  I got my car washed in Iowa.  They put the air freshener there, being unfamiliar with MN air freshener laws.  I was a recent transplant, also unfamiliar with MN air freshener law.   

Cop comes up to the car and the air freshener was an obvious excuse to stick his nose in my car and start poking around.  He starts asking questions, trying find something, anything to pin on me.  Unnecessarily and intentionally trying to get me riled up. 

I'm professional, and was wearing a suit at the time.  Being fresh out of college, they question me for being too young to be so professional.  So many questions: who are you, where are you going, anything in the car, and so on.  

It was never about the air freshener.  It was about harassing someone just trying to get home from work.
    I'd be pissed too if I were you in that scenario. And nobody think he should've been shot. But let's throw out the notion that it was an accidental discharge, and go with the popular narrative around here that cops hunt black people and want to murder them. And as a lot of people say, even if you comply, you can still get killed. Alright, well then if you don't comply, you're likely going to get killed. So why resist and put yourself at the mercy of racist cops?  I don't know. It's horrible that he shot like that and the cop should face major consequences. But while you both got pulled for air-fresheners (which is dumb in it's own right), you didn't have an active warrant that would require an arrest. And if you did, I doubt you're trying to break from the handcuffs and speed away. 
    Literally no one has said that around here.  What has been said over and over is that there is racism inherent in our policing system and that for some reason(racism) cops are more scared of their lives at a traffic stop with People of Color than they are with white mass shooters.  People the. Bend over backwards to come up with any theory they can that doesn’t point to the issue, which is systemic racism and bad policing.  Then obfuscate the facts with made up anecdotes about hunting people...
    That's fair enough, I attributed a LeBron James quote to this place based on a similar sentiments, which I shouldn't do.

Is that not true? Are you that fucking blind? To inherent, systemic racism through all levels of ‘Murican society? From birth to death, no less.

Is it true that black people are, as James says here, "literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!"? No, it's not.  

Do you not think that every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive? 
    No, I don't. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited April 2021
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you not think that every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive? Do you worry about that yourself? Probably not because I assume that you're white. That's what white privilege is.

Y'all acting like this is just one instance and want to isolate it as such, to make it seem that its not "systemic" or a "problem." If they had only complied. Fucking George Floyd complied and was murdered. Breonna Taylor was sleeping in her bed. Ahmaud Arbery was out for a jog. James Byrd was walking home. In 1998. Not all killed by cops but if nobody noticed, would there have been consequences?

And y'all should go back to page 1 of this thread and read forward. One of the OP's outrages had to do with someone who was beaten to death by cops (not arguing it was okay). He had somewhere around 96 previous run ins with law enforcement. And he was white. 96 > 2. Can't even go to church without looking over their shoulder. Hunted? Seems like it.
    If you want the truth then you need to speak with an array of black people (not LeBron James). Not all feel like they’re “hunted” but they do know they’re treated differently (just like women).  Black people teach their children to be aware at all times and they hear it from the time they’re little.  They’re probably scared to death and full of hate towards all cops. One good cop will not erase a lifetime of racism, discrimination, or simply being taught their “true” history.  What should black parents do?  

So, again a one year old black child with no father.  It’s an ugly vicious circle and if you believe this child will grow up loving and respecting cops it’s not going to happen.  Talk to black convicts and they unanimously admit that their upbringing totally affected the rest of their lives (see they don’t blame whites for everything).  In order to change our opinions we need to look at all factors not just the ones we understand or agree with. 
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

If you want the truth then you need to speak with an array of black people (not LeBron James). Not all feel like they’re “hunted” but they do know they’re treated differently (just like women).  Black people teach their children to be aware at all times and they hear it from the time they’re little.  They’re probably scared to death and full of hate towards all cops. One good cop will not erase a lifetime of racism, discrimination, or simply being taught their “true” history.  What should black parents do?  

So, again a one year old black child with no father.  It’s an ugly vicious circle and if you believe this child will grow up loving and respecting cops it’s not going to happen.  Talk to black convicts and they unanimously admit that their upbringing totally affected the rest of their lives (see they don’t blame whites for everything).  In order to change our opinions we need to look at all factors not just the ones we understand or agree with. 
    See, here's how it really is. Not hyperbolic bullshit that "every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    static111 said:
    So how do we all feel about this one? Should have complied? Or maybe the lieutenant was hiding something? Nothing to see here folks just good ol non biased policing.  
    Besides the young man (I’m sorry I don’t remember his name) who was black, autistic and killed walking home from the store with a face mask because he was cold and looked so “suspicious”, this may have been the most recent racial profiling....black man, new expensive SUV, had to be a criminal huh? As for not pulling over till the area was lit, women are told to do this all the time. Maybe it’s time for all black males to receive the same option? 
    static111 said:
    Besides the young man (I’m sorry I don’t remember his name) who was black, autistic and killed walking home from the store with a face mask because he was cold and looked so “suspicious”, this may have been the most recent racial profiling....black man, new expensive SUV, had to be a criminal huh? As for not pulling over till the area was lit, women are told to do this all the time. Maybe it’s time for all black males to receive the same option? 
    Elijah McClain in Colorado. He used to go to the local animal shelter and play violin for cats. I'm not positive if he was autistic, but as the police smothered him, he did yell out things like "I'm an introvert" and "I'm different." The worst and most unjustified police killing I've seen.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you not think that every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive? 
    No, I don't. 
    I would completely agree. I will also add that does not mean there are not bad cops, that things aren't bad, that there isn't profiling or stereotyping going on. And I think its dangerous to keep playing that narrative. I remember when Rayshard Brooks was killed the coverage of it was ridiculous. I think it was CNN that had a guest on that said Rayshard fought back and used the taser because he knew if he got into that cop car they would take him out and murder him. So he did the only thing he could do and was right to do it. Then the TV anchor agreed with the guest! That level of hate is dangerous, and is going ot get more young black people killed when they keep being told cops are out there to murder them, so fight back.
    I’m not a cop but I certainly can tell the difference when holding them. 
    static111 said:
    Elijah McClain in Colorado. He used to go to the local animal shelter and play violin for cats. I'm not positive if he was autistic, but as the police smothered him, he did yell out things like "I'm an introvert" and "I'm different." The worst and most unjustified police killing I've seen.
    I checked myself and he was autistic (please know I’m not saying I told you so).  I just wanted to say I totally agree with you. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    that said, my forks and spoons feel the same, haha
    I could think of a cruder analogy, but I won’t let it slip. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    I would completely agree. I will also add that does not mean there are not bad cops, that things aren't bad, that there isn't profiling or stereotyping going on. And I think its dangerous to keep playing that narrative. I remember when Rayshard Brooks was killed the coverage of it was ridiculous. I think it was CNN that had a guest on that said Rayshard fought back and used the taser because he knew if he got into that cop car they would take him out and murder him. So he did the only thing he could do and was right to do it. Then the TV anchor agreed with the guest! That level of hate is dangerous, and is going ot get more young black people killed when they keep being told cops are out there to murder them, so fight back.
    Not all young black men are told to fight back (there’s no way for you to know that they are all told that).  Many are told to comply....I’ll say it again, speak with a variety of blacks before making that assumption. 
    Post edited by cblock4life on
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

See, here's how it really is. Not hyperbolic bullshit that "every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive."
    Why do black parents teach their children how to behave outside the home, particularly around law enforcement encounters? "Hyperbolic bullshit."

Brilliantati©
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    tbergs said:
    And now the police officer has resigned. 
    They’re resigning to try to save their retirement.  Just like Chauvin got a divorce and she got most of the money to protect it and how they make sure he’s wearing an extra baggy suit (poor officer lost so much weight). Please people don’t be delusional.  These are scum moves by scum people. Don’t for once think that what they are doing is for any other reason than saving their own interests. Whites have been hanging, burning, shooting whites for centuries and some of you think it’s all the black folks fault. Officers are taught and told they’re entitled to act like assholes.  
    Is every cop a racist asshole?

Not every driver is drunk. But the drunk ones make it more dangerous and we have to be leery of them and on guard in all situations.  Blacks have to approach cops that way.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    static111 said:
    I checked myself and he was autistic (please know I’m not saying I told you so).  I just wanted to say I totally agree with you. 
    Yeah I just wasn't positive on that. But he was obviously very high-functioning being able to play multiple musical instruments, and being a massage therapist for four years. Just very sad. He was totally racially profiled for being a black kid in a ski mask (which he had to wear due to his sickle-cell trait and the elevation of where he lived in Colorado), and unnecessarily injected with ketamine during the restraint. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    Not all young black men are told to fight back (there’s no way for you to know that they are all told that).  Many are told to comply....I’ll say it again, speak with a variety of blacks before making that assumption. 
    but....didn't you say a few posts back that all cops are taught to be aggressive assholes based on a few family members' assertions?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 

That's my response to the "he's no angel" crap. If we let black suspects just be killed by the cops, eventually, that will spread to white people (well, in theory it could).

Are you really going to bring up George Floyd allegedly* trying to pass of a fake $20 bill and some sort of justification? Hell, anyone could unwittingly get their hands on a fake 20 and try to spend it unaware.

*yeah; allegedly.  That's why we have a courts system. It's amazing to me that people think it's OK if someone's background test isn't impeccable that the cops shoot him.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    You've never spent 5 minutes looking for your sunglasses or keys, only to see them in your hand? You couldn't feel them there? When this whole situation lasted about 5 seconds, I don't understand why so many think it is unbelievable, that this is a cover up. When you're adrenaline is pumping and youre in the mement, its believable this would happen in a span of 5 seconds. Like I said, have you never looked for glasses that were in your hand for a few minutes?
    That doesn't excuse the officer, that doesn't make it ok. I'm not sure what the proper punishment would be, but there should be one. It just means this isn't a cover up, that she didnt plan to shoot some guy just because he was black and have a back story ready to go. It means sh emessed up and someone was killed as a result. What crime that equates to I don't know.
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    You're right, I don't know what the families are teaching their kids. But I do know that a common message I see on the media is if you're black, the police are there to murder you. I wasn't referencing what is taught within the family, I was referencing how the media and celebrities react. And that message is its open season.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    You've never spent 5 minutes looking for your sunglasses or keys, only to see them in your hand? You couldn't feel them there? When this whole situation lasted about 5 seconds, I don't understand why so many think it is unbelievable, that this is a cover up. When you're adrenaline is pumping and youre in the mement, its believable this would happen in a span of 5 seconds. Like I said, have you never looked for glasses that were in your hand for a few minutes?
    That doesn't excuse the officer, that doesn't make it ok. I'm not sure what the proper punishment would be, but there should be one. It just means this isn't a cover up, that she didnt plan to shoot some guy just because he was black and have a back story ready to go. It means sh emessed up and someone was killed as a result. What crime that equates to I don't know.
    you know, you're right. I just looked up what a standard issue taser looks like, and to my surprise, they are shockingly close to a gun (I didn't know they had a trigger or was shaped even remotely like a gun). 

however, once the officer pulled it out, it should have been obvious that it wasn't her taser. if she was able to aim and fire, she would have been able to see the difference, even in that split second. 

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

I don’t think anyone on the forum is saying the officer is trying to be an executioner. The officer made a brutally poor mistake, lost her career and possibly will serve a few years for manslaughter. If you don’t hear that in her voice on the video, we'll need to agree to disagree.

the victim made a conscious decision to flea arrest, to drive without plates, to ignore a court appointment and an appearance in front of a judge, carry a gun illegally and run from the police. All of these were conscious decisions by the victim at different points in time. Did he deserve to die? of course not, this is a tragedy. But he made six conscious decisions, each of which put his life in more danger.

If democrats and the black community pretend in this case there is nothing to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority, this will turn into a gift to trump and his comrades, just like defund the police was. It is time for all of us to acknowledge when we take risky behavior involving the police, bad accidents can happen.