Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

Kim Potter....another responsible gun owner!

I own a gun and like blunts.  Should I be murdered for an air freshener hanging from my rearview mirror?

The reason this pisses me off so much is because a similar scenario happened to me.  Pulled over in MN for an air freshener.  One of those stupid little pine trees.

I'm driving home from Des Moines to Minneapolis.  I got my car washed in Iowa.  They put the air freshener there, being unfamiliar with MN air freshener laws.  I was a recent transplant, also unfamiliar with MN air freshener law.   

Cop comes up to the car and the air freshener was an obvious excuse to stick his nose in my car and start poking around.  He starts asking questions, trying find something, anything to pin on me.  Unnecessarily and intentionally trying to get me riled up. 

I'm professional, and was wearing a suit at the time.  Being fresh out of college, they question me for being too young to be so professional.  So many questions: who are you, where are you going, anything in the car, and so on.  

It was never about the air freshener.  It was about harassing someone just trying to get home from work.
    I'd be pissed too if I were you in that scenario. And nobody think he should've been shot. But let's throw out the notion that it was an accidental discharge, and go with the popular narrative around here that cops hunt black people and want to murder them. And as a lot of people say, even if you comply, you can still get killed. Alright, well then if you don't comply, you're likely going to get killed. So why resist and put yourself at the mercy of racist cops?  I don't know. It's horrible that he shot like that and the cop should face major consequences. But while you both got pulled for air-fresheners (which is dumb in it's own right), you didn't have an active warrant that would require an arrest. And if you did, I doubt you're trying to break from the handcuffs and speed away. 
    Literally no one has said that around here.  What has been said over and over is that there is racism inherent in our policing system and that for some reason(racism) cops are more scared of their lives at a traffic stop with People of Color than they are with white mass shooters.  People the. Bend over backwards to come up with any theory they can that doesn’t point to the issue, which is systemic racism and bad policing.  Then obfuscate the facts with made up anecdotes about hunting people...
    That's fair enough, I attributed a LeBron James quote to this place based on a similar sentiments, which I shouldn't do.

Is that not true? Are you that fucking blind? To inherent, systemic racism through all levels of ‘Murican society? From birth to death, no less.

Is it true that black people are, as James says here, "literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!"? No, it's not.  

Do you not think that every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive? 
    No, I don't. 
    I would completely agree. I will also add that does not mean there are not bad cops, that things aren't bad, that there isn't profiling or stereotyping going on. And I think its dangerous to keep playing that narrative. I remember when Rayshard Brooks was killed the coverage of it was ridiculous. I think it was CNN that had a guest on that said Rayshard fought back and used the taser because he knew if he got into that cop car they would take him out and murder him. So he did the only thing he could do and was right to do it. Then the TV anchor agreed with the guest! That level of hate is dangerous, and is going ot get more young black people killed when they keep being told cops are out there to murder them, so fight back.
    Not all young black men are told to fight back (there’s no way for you to know that they are all told that).  Many are told to comply....I’ll say it again, speak with a variety of blacks before making that assumption. 
    but....didn't you say a few posts back that all cops are taught to be aggressive assholes based on a few family members' assertions?
    I did say that based on what police officers have told me (even one who posted here awhile ago said it’s an attitude thing that bothered him so bad he quit and went to work for a community college).  I truly believe it’s part of the universal training no matter where they live. I’m not sure mace has ever spoken to a black person (at least I don’t believe he’s ever stated speaking to blacks) so how could he know they’re all told to fight. I’m not changing my statement about cops because I believe that is what all cops are taught based on what I know and have seen,  where I know for a fact that all blacks aren’t told to fight. 
    And if you’re being accurate I never said aggressive. 
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    mace1229 said:
    i don't know about you all, but when i eat soup i routinely accidently grab a fork instead of a spoon.
    lol, yeah, that explanation isn't believable in the least (to me, anyway). 
    when you hold a taser out in front of you and a gun out in front of you, when you aim down the sight, they both look different, right? the handles feel different in your hands, right? i mean, come on. that explanation is laughable.
    You've never spent 5 minutes looking for your sunglasses or keys, only to see them in your hand? You couldn't feel them there? When this whole situation lasted about 5 seconds, I don't understand why so many think it is unbelievable, that this is a cover up. When you're adrenaline is pumping and youre in the mement, its believable this would happen in a span of 5 seconds. Like I said, have you never looked for glasses that were in your hand for a few minutes?
    That doesn't excuse the officer, that doesn't make it ok. I'm not sure what the proper punishment would be, but there should be one. It just means this isn't a cover up, that she didnt plan to shoot some guy just because he was black and have a back story ready to go. It means sh emessed up and someone was killed as a result. What crime that equates to I don't know.
    you know, you're right. I just looked up what a standard issue taser looks like, and to my surprise, they are shockingly close to a gun (I didn't know they had a trigger or was shaped even remotely like a gun). 

however, once the officer pulled it out, it should have been obvious that it wasn't her taser. if she was able to aim and fire, she would have been able to see the difference, even in that split second. 

You're right, it should have been obvious. Thats why I think she is responsible and there should be consequences. I just dont think it was intentional, like some on here are claiming. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 

I don’t think anyone on the forum is saying the officer is trying to be an executioner. The officer made a brutally poor mistake, lost her career and possibly will serve a few years for manslaughter. If you don’t hear that in her voice on the video, we'll need to agree to disagree.

the victim made a conscious decision to flea arrest, to drive without plates, to ignore a court appointment and an appearance in front of a judge, carry a gun illegally and run from the police. All of these were conscious decisions by the victim at different points in time. Did he deserve to die? of course not, this is a tragedy. But he made six conscious decisions, each of which put his life in more danger.

If democrats and the black community pretend in this case there is nothing to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority, this will turn into a gift to trump and his comrades, just like defund the police was. It is time for all of us to acknowledge when we take risky behavior involving the police, bad accidents can happen. 
    george floyd did none of those things. he complied and he was murdered. 

If I was a black person, I'd be terrified every single time I saw a siren. seriously. do I think they are being hunted? no, but I do believe that police (and the general public) have pre-conceived notions of how a person of a certain skin colour is going to act/react, how much danger they are going to be, etc, and act/react accordingly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

I own a gun and like blunts.  Should I be murdered for an air freshener hanging from my rearview mirror?

The reason this pisses me off so much is because a similar scenario happened to me.  Pulled over in MN for an air freshener.  One of those stupid little pine trees.

I'm driving home from Des Moines to Minneapolis.  I got my car washed in Iowa.  They put the air freshener there, being unfamiliar with MN air freshener laws.  I was a recent transplant, also unfamiliar with MN air freshener law.   

Cop comes up to the car and the air freshener was an obvious excuse to stick his nose in my car and start poking around.  He starts asking questions, trying find something, anything to pin on me.  Unnecessarily and intentionally trying to get me riled up. 

I'm professional, and was wearing a suit at the time.  Being fresh out of college, they question me for being too young to be so professional.  So many questions: who are you, where are you going, anything in the car, and so on.  

It was never about the air freshener.  It was about harassing someone just trying to get home from work.
    I'd be pissed too if I were you in that scenario. And nobody think he should've been shot. But let's throw out the notion that it was an accidental discharge, and go with the popular narrative around here that cops hunt black people and want to murder them. And as a lot of people say, even if you comply, you can still get killed. Alright, well then if you don't comply, you're likely going to get killed. So why resist and put yourself at the mercy of racist cops?  I don't know. It's horrible that he shot like that and the cop should face major consequences. But while you both got pulled for air-fresheners (which is dumb in it's own right), you didn't have an active warrant that would require an arrest. And if you did, I doubt you're trying to break from the handcuffs and speed away. 
    Literally no one has said that around here.  What has been said over and over is that there is racism inherent in our policing system and that for some reason(racism) cops are more scared of their lives at a traffic stop with People of Color than they are with white mass shooters.  People the. Bend over backwards to come up with any theory they can that doesn’t point to the issue, which is systemic racism and bad policing.  Then obfuscate the facts with made up anecdotes about hunting people...
    That's fair enough, I attributed a LeBron James quote to this place based on a similar sentiments, which I shouldn't do.

Is that not true? Are you that fucking blind? To inherent, systemic racism through all levels of ‘Murican society? From birth to death, no less.

Is it true that black people are, as James says here, "literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!"? No, it's not.  

Do you not think that every time a black person leaves their home, they wonder if they'll come home alive? 
    No, I don't. 
    I would completely agree. I will also add that does not mean there are not bad cops, that things aren't bad, that there isn't profiling or stereotyping going on. And I think its dangerous to keep playing that narrative. I remember when Rayshard Brooks was killed the coverage of it was ridiculous. I think it was CNN that had a guest on that said Rayshard fought back and used the taser because he knew if he got into that cop car they would take him out and murder him. So he did the only thing he could do and was right to do it. Then the TV anchor agreed with the guest! That level of hate is dangerous, and is going ot get more young black people killed when they keep being told cops are out there to murder them, so fight back.
    Not all young black men are told to fight back (there’s no way for you to know that they are all told that).  Many are told to comply....I’ll say it again, speak with a variety of blacks before making that assumption. 
    but....didn't you say a few posts back that all cops are taught to be aggressive assholes based on a few family members' assertions?
    I did say that based on what police officers have told me (even one who posted here awhile ago said it’s an attitude thing that bothered him so bad he quit and went to work for a community college).  I truly believe it’s part of the universal training no matter where they live. I’m not sure mace has ever spoken to a black person (at least I don’t believe he’s ever stated speaking to blacks) so how could he know they’re all told to fight. I’m not changing my statement about cops because I believe that is what all cops are taught based on what I know and have seen,  where I know for a fact that all blacks aren’t told to fight. 
    well I don't generally tell people on a forum how many non-whites I've spoken to, I can't speak for mace. 

All I'm saying is you are making a general assertion based on your own anecdotal evidence and generalizing that to an entire country, where mace is doing the same thing, and you are claiming you can and he can't. that's all I'm pointing out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    You're right, I don't know what the families are teaching their kids. But I do know that a common message I see on the media is if you're black, the police are there to murder you. I wasn't referencing what is taught within the family, I was referencing how the media and celebrities react. And that message is its open season.
    My apologies for misunderstanding then because if you’re talking about the news then you’re absolutely correct.....it’s not helping at all.  
  • Options
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 

I don’t think anyone on the forum is saying the officer is trying to be an executioner. The officer made a brutally poor mistake, lost her career and possibly will serve a few years for manslaughter. If you don’t hear that in her voice on the video, we'll need to agree to disagree.

the victim made a conscious decision to flea arrest, to drive without plates, to ignore a court appointment and an appearance in front of a judge, carry a gun illegally and run from the police. All of these were conscious decisions by the victim at different points in time. Did he deserve to die? of course not, this is a tragedy. But he made six conscious decisions, each of which put his life in more danger.

If democrats and the black community pretend in this case there is nothing to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority, this will turn into a gift to trump and his comrades, just like defund the police was. It is time for all of us to acknowledge when we take risky behavior involving the police, bad accidents can happen. 
    I was kind of generalizing the whole issue (sorry)not specifically about just her. What did happen after she said “I shot him”?   I haven’t seen that yet so I’m not sure what all was said. And I did say he was wrong..he knew what was coming, he had to....missing court appearance etc..and we all agree it isn’t justification for being killed and I do believe it was a mistake but I also believe she was scared. After 26 years you’re afraid of a 20 year old black kid? Or is it that they’re so afraid they’re going to shoot someone it’s like Murphy’s law? 
    Anyone know why they don’t shoot people in the legs to stop them? I don’t want to fight with anyone because one way or another something we all say is right or wrong to someone. It’s just sad all the way around 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    You're right, I don't know what the families are teaching their kids. But I do know that a common message I see on the media is if you're black, the police are there to murder you. I wasn't referencing what is taught within the family, I was referencing how the media and celebrities react. And that message is its open season.
    A common message from the media is reporting the truth that Black people are more likely to be killed by police due to the actions of officers.  I can see why celebrities etc react this way, because there is evidence that this is a real problem
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    edited April 2021
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    A common message from the media is reporting the truth that Black people are more likely to be killed by police due to the actions of officers.  I can see why celebrities etc react this way, because there is evidence that this is a real problem
    The whole catch phrase last year was "its open season on black men." Thats not reporting the truth, that is instilling fear. You're far more likely to be killed with black on black violence, yet do we tell black people to be afraid of other blacks every time they leave the house? No, but we tell them you're lucky if a cop didn't kill you today. 
    That's not defending any of the police violence. I'm just saying the media, among others, play it up and insight more fear.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    george floyd did none of those things. he complied and he was murdered. 

What? Try again
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    And I do want to say how much I respect the love and respect you have for your brother. I would certainly think less of you if you didn’t feel that way and worry about him. AND congrats on not backing down, ever. It can be a bit intimidating if not downright scary on here sometimes but you always remain calm and level headed. 

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    i don't know about you all, but when i eat soup i routinely accidently grab a fork instead of a spoon.
    when you hold a taser out in front of you and a gun out in front of you, when you aim down the sight, they both look different, right? the handles feel different in your hands, right? i mean, come on. that explanation is laughable.
    Ever been in a situation like that? Ever been under heavy stress and have that adrenaline dump? People act all high and mighty like they'd never make a mistake. Good for all you better people arm chairing because you're perfect. People have hit the gas many times instead of the brake because they get tunnel vision and cognitive thought is non existent.

I'm sick of people making fun of it. Yeah, sure, she was supposed to be perfect because she's a cop, right? Humans fuck up, and that's what she did. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    And I do want to say how much I respect the love and respect you have for your brother. I would certainly think less of you if you didn’t feel that way and worry about him. AND congrats on not backing down, ever. It can be a bit intimidating if not downright scary on here sometimes but you always remain calm and level headed. 

You must have missed a few of my posts. But thank you.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 

I will add he is hanging up his badge (sort of) because of how police are covered and reported. He hit 20 years this month and put in the paperwork for retiring and starting over out of state. He made that decision a few months ago when 2 cops, 2 police in his department (although he did not know them personally), were ambushed and shot in the head. And watching the video of the witnesses cheer on the shooter and mock them as they lay bleeding from the head. That changed him. To watch the video and see them being mocked for being shot in the head and jaw, no one wanted to give aid, no one wanted to assist. But just mocked them as they probably thought they were going to die. They couldnt even call for help, because you need a jaw to talk on the radio. 
    And I think the media plays into that, they build up the hate against police that makes that okay in a community. 
    There are bad cops. There are bad tactics used. But we as a society demonize all cops for what we see. We don't say all teachers are child molesters every time one is in the news. And that probably happens more often than you think. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 

You must have missed a few of my posts. But thank you.
    Hahahaha then I must have cause I never noticed!
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 

I will add he is hanging up his badge (sort of) because of how police are covered and reported. He hit 20 years this month and put in the paperwork for retiring and starting over out of state. He made that decision a few months ago when 2 cops, 2 police in his department (although he did not know them personally), were ambushed and shot in the head. And watching the video of the witnesses cheer on the shooter and mock them as they lay bleeding from the head. That changed him. To watch the video and see them being mocked for being shot in the head and jaw, no one wanted to give aid, no one wanted to assist. But just mocked them as they probably thought they were going to die. They couldnt even call for help, because you need a jaw to talk on the radio. 
    And I think the media plays into that, they build up the hate against police that makes that okay in a community. 
    There are bad cops. There are bad tactics used. But we as a society demonize all cops for what we see. We don't say all teachers are child molesters every time one is in the news. And that probably happens more often than you think. 
    Well I have nothing to say other than how tragic and awful that is and that I’m sorry your brother endured that. 
    I’m going to tell you something that I’ll probably get slammed for but here goes....part of what is happening to all whites is payback for all the awful things done to blacks for centuries. My son interviewed for a job internally that he was doing on a sub basis for a year (someone was sick then retired) so who to hire? no brainer right? Wrong. Affirmative action was implemented and now my son (not the cfo republican son) is training his supervisor. Now what should I tell my angry son?  I believe in equality for all but I love my son to death.  He knows me well enough to know that I see all sides and I’m honest as I can be so rather than us arguing I told him I loved him and that it just wasn’t time rather than tell him he’s paying a price for what others have done. How do I continue to remain steadfast in my beliefs when it’s my flesh and blood suffering. 
     This is what happens to your brother and all police....paying the price for others actions.  Is it right...no. So how do we fix it?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 
    well I don't generally tell people on a forum how many non-whites I've spoken to, I can't speak for mace. 

All I'm saying is you are making a general assertion based on your own anecdotal evidence and generalizing that to an entire country, where mace is doing the same thing, and you are claiming you can and he can't. that's all I'm pointing out. 
    Obviously this is not going to go down well but here goes...remember I’m the one that unfortunately remembers most things I’ve read (I don’t hunt for previous posts) and you’re the one that remembers things more from in person. 
    I once defended the Greek guy with all the pj info (sorry I’m horrible at names) and you replied that he was a big boy and could stick up for himself (not word for word I’m sure) so mace is a big boy and can stick up for himself. Next, I didn’t ask if you ever spoke to non whites,  I was saying I didn’t know if mace did or not but thanks (I guess) for your answer and what’s the problem with admitting that I’ve spoken to many blacks for 30 years? Maybe I’m proud of that and can help people see things differently. And finally, what is your deal with me? Second time asking because I’ve never directed anything to you until you’ve corrected me or made me feel bad. I told you I’d leave you alone and I have except once I agreed with you...god forbid won’t happen again 
  • Options
    Here’s a good thread about some of the problems we have that could be easily fixed.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    static111 said:
    Here’s a good thread about some of the problems we have that could be easily fixed.  

Maybe

It's also a stupid MN law:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.71

Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:
    (2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Maybe

Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:
    There should be a whole division that deals with minor infractions that don’t carry lethal weapons and can’t issue any other citations than the one being stopped for.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Maybe

There should be a whole division that deals with minor infractions that don’t carry lethal weapons and can’t issue any other citations than the one being stopped for.  
    I hear you but you never know who you’re pulling over. Plenty of examples of very minor traffic stops resulting in cops getting shot at. I recently got pulled over for having a mask hanging on the rear view mirror. I never keep it there I just happened to hang it up in between some errands. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    tbergs said:
    Ever been in a situation like that? Ever been under heavy stress and have that adrenaline dump? People act all high and mighty like they'd never make a mistake. Good for all you better people arm chairing because you're perfect. People have hit the gas many times instead of the brake because they get tunnel vision and cognitive thought is non existent.

I'm sick of people making fun of it. Yeah, sure, she was supposed to be perfect because she's a cop, right? Humans fuck up, and that's what she did. 
    try using that defense in court.

i used to work in surgery. i used to pass powered instruments to the surgeon. the drills and saws felt the same if you grabbed them by the handle. that is why when the doc asked for the reciprocating saw we made sure to look down and make sure we did not hand him the oscillating saw by mistake. it is a high pressure situation, but we double checked what we were handing him because we did not want to risk anything happening to the patient.

i have been in pressure situations like that, and i did not fuck up. so spare me that excuse. the grip on the taser is completely different than that of the gun by design. the gun is metal, the taser is a different material. if you show me someone who cannot tell the difference between the taser and the gun by tactile feel AND vision, i will show you someone who has no fucking business being a police officer.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    making sure your taser is not, in fact, a glock is police 101. just the absolute basics.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Maybe

I hear you but you never know who you’re pulling over. Plenty of examples of very minor traffic stops resulting in cops getting shot at. I recently got pulled over for having a mask hanging on the rear view mirror. I never keep it there I just happened to hang it up in between some errands. 

Police have guns, tasers, tanks, teargas, etc.

Police do not have adequate training, sympathy, accountability

When all you have is hammer, every problem looks like a nail

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergs said:

i used to work in surgery. i used to pass powered instruments to the surgeon. the drills and saws felt the same if you grabbed them by the handle. that is why when the doc asked for the reciprocating saw we made sure to look down and make sure we did not hand him the oscillating saw by mistake. it is a high pressure situation, but we double checked what we were handing him because we did not want to risk anything happening to the patient.

i have been in pressure situations like that, and i did not fuck up. so spare me that excuse. the grip on the taser is completely different than that of the gun by design. the gun is metal, the taser is a different material. if you show me someone who cannot tell the difference between the taser and the gun by tactile feel AND vision, i will show you someone who has no fucking business being a police officer.
    Don’t medical mistakes happen often? Isn’t that the reason doctors and staff get malpractice insurance? I’ve read stories of doctors amputating the wrong limb and so on. 
    Now imagine in your scenario going from not even knowing there is surgery to a doctor yelling for a specific tool and you have 5 seconds to respond or everyone risks injury. Probably changes the dynamic of the operating room a little.
    Now I haven’t seen anyone excuse this cop or say it’s okay. I just don’t see how anyone can think this is a cover up, that it was planned or mistakes can’t happen. Given how often tasers are used and how many times this happens, it’s got to be less than a one in million mistake. I’m sure doctors in surgery make mistakes far more often than that.
    This went from a routine arrest to a dangerous situation in just a couple seconds. She made a mistake in the 2 or 3 seconds she had. It was her fault and she deserves the appropriate consequences. But I don’t know why anyone would pretend it’s anything more than a mistake.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:

No, I don't. 

Obviously this is not going to go down well but here goes...remember I’m the one that unfortunately remembers most things I’ve read (I don’t hunt for previous posts) and you’re the one that remembers things more from in person. 
    I once defended the Greek guy with all the pj info (sorry I’m horrible at names) and you replied that he was a big boy and could stick up for himself (not word for word I’m sure) so mace is a big boy and can stick up for himself. Next, I didn’t ask if you ever spoke to non whites,  I was saying I didn’t know if mace did or not but thanks (I guess) for your answer and what’s the problem with admitting that I’ve spoken to many blacks for 30 years? Maybe I’m proud of that and can help people see things differently. And finally, what is your deal with me? Second time asking because I’ve never directed anything to you until you’ve corrected me or made me feel bad. I told you I’d leave you alone and I have except once I agreed with you...god forbid won’t happen again 
    it's an open forum. people respond to me I haven't directed anything to, I do the same. everyone here does that. when you responded to mace, was it because he specifically tagged you? I'm guessing not. you responded to him because you had something to say. 

I have nothing against you. I don't know you. Just because I respectfully disagree with someone doesn't mean I have a "deal" with them. 

I'm not sure how I could have stated what I did more politely. how you took that/your reaction is your responsibility. I specifically did that knowing your history of having issues with me. 

I agree with people I don't like, I disagree with people I do like, and vice versa. my comments never (ok, rarely) have anything to do with the poster, just the comment. Just ask dignin, for example. we don't get along but I agree with him often. he doesn't with me, but that's fine. I can handle it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    tbergs said:

It's not a defense in court. You're still criminally liable for the manslaughter charge, but you and others seem to be trying to sell it off as intentional murder.

That's good you could look down to visually verify surgical tools, completely different setting. Thankfully the patient is sedated and unable to move so they can't physically harm you while you look down to verify what you're doing. Stressful situation, but completely different.

Yes, 99.9% of the time the cop does notice or is aware, but there is a chance of failure and mistake, especially under stress and adrenaline. This is one of those times and there should be a consequence beyond loss of job. Charges should be announced today and I expect manslaughter.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Working in a surgery room does require a higher IQ
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Maybe

Would people be so worried and high stress if they knew that traffic cops were only responsible for traffic and other vehicle infractions and couldn’t expand their scope beyond what they are pulling someone over for? Probably not.  I mean let’s say I have a trash bag of weed in my trunk and I get pulled over for expired tags and know that I can only get a ticket for a traffic violation, tags, etc. I’m not gonna have an oh shot moment, I’m gonna take my ticket and go.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Maybe

Would people be so worried and high stress if they knew that traffic cops were only responsible for traffic and other vehicle infractions and couldn’t expand their scope beyond what they are pulling someone over for? Probably not.  I mean let’s say I have a trash bag of weed in my trunk and I get pulled over for expired tags and know that I can only get a ticket for a traffic violation, tags, etc. I’m not gonna have an oh shot moment, I’m gonna take my ticket and go.
    I've had that same thought....make a different division for only traffic infractions. if they suspect other criminal behaviour, call it in without the perp's knowledge. 

However, I'm no cop and I'm sure there's a myriad of reasons why that wouldn't be feasible. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.