Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Mike D88 said:
    https://twitter.com/motherjones/status/1270059322806923264?s=21
    Unreal behavior by these uniformed personnel!
    Do they have a statement for that?
    RTFA:
    Update, 6/8/20: The Star Tribune has identified the officers puncturing tires as state troopers and deputies from the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office. The officers strategically deflated the tires to “stop behaviors such as vehicles driving dangerously and at high speeds in and around protesters and law enforcement,” said Minnesota Department of Public Safety spokesperson Bruce Gordon. The troopers reportedly targeted cars that “contained items used to cause harm during violent protests” such as rocks and concrete. The Anoka County Sheriff’s Lt. Andy Knotz said deputies were following directions from the state-led Multiagency Command Center.
    In case it needs to be said, the explanation given is bullshit. The police are rioting.
    Police rioting might be a bit of a stretch.  They know they are being watched.  You think they are that blatant about what they did and would lie about it?

Too much credit to the PD?
    Yeah I don't buy into that.  I had a cop friend sit in our backyard last night, talking about the situation for over an hour.  You gain a very different point of view hearing it directly from someone on the front lines during this.  He had an explosive device thrown at him and the rest of the cops he stood alongside last week.  It wasn't a firecracker either.  Scary shit to be walking in their shoes these days.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:
    Update, 6/8/20: The Star Tribune has identified the officers puncturing tires as state troopers and deputies from the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office. The officers strategically deflated the tires to “stop behaviors such as vehicles driving dangerously and at high speeds in and around protesters and law enforcement,” said Minnesota Department of Public Safety spokesperson Bruce Gordon. The troopers reportedly targeted cars that “contained items used to cause harm during violent protests” such as rocks and concrete. The Anoka County Sheriff’s Lt. Andy Knotz said deputies were following directions from the state-led Multiagency Command Center.
    In case it needs to be said, the explanation given is bullshit. The police are rioting.
    Police rioting might be a bit of a stretch.  They know they are being watched.  You think they are that blatant about what they did and would lie about it?

Do I think they would lie about it? Of course. The police have been caught in many, many lies about their conduct. It's really only in this age of widespread filming that we have proof of these lies. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

Yeah I don't buy into that.  I had a cop friend sit in our backyard last night, talking about the situation for over an hour.  You gain a very different point of view hearing it directly from someone on the front lines during this.  He had an explosive device thrown at him and the rest of the cops he stood alongside last week.  It wasn't a firecracker either.  Scary shit to be walking in their shoes these days.

It's stories like that and what was shown above w the tire slashing that feeds into the negatives of each others side.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723

Is it? What do you call a crowd of unaccountable armed men causing thousands upon thousands of dollars in damage to private property?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Mike D88 said:

Is it? What do you call a crowd of unaccountable armed men causing thousands upon thousands of dollars in damage to private property?
    State based violence
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    Kat said:
    I'm thinking they can't lie in court about a crime when a citizen has a video of something they want to lie about. That's how far my cynicism has gone...we need good people in policing. I've always loved blue but I don't like bad apples and it's going to take the good police officers to get the bad apples out of their profession. The bad apples make the good officers look terrible and so the "good" officers are not trustworthy themselves because of that. It wonn't be easy, it never is but it's time to stand up. 
    Thanks tbergs. :) 
    I don’t see this having any impact on police planting guns or evidence as other suggested. Many, or even most incidents are captured live. It’s not a crime scene, so this would not apply. If you’re worried this was passed to allow cops to cover up an unlawful shooting, it’s not a crime scene at that point.
    I read this as a marked scene with an ongoing investigation. And it makes sense to me. You don’t want evidence leaking out before a trial. You don’t want people physically contamination by a crime scene trying to take pictures.
    A cop shooting an unarmed person and planting evidence and a cover-up wouldn’t apply.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

It's stories like that and what was shown above w the tire slashing that feeds into the negatives of each others side.

I'm not even sure why there are sides on this.  Most people agree that police brutality and racism have to end; however, de-funding police forces and painting all cops with a broad brush is not the way to accomplish that.  It's been said before, but there are bad apples in every profession.  Should medical research funding be slashed because there are bad doctors?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

I'm not even sure why there are sides on this.  Most people agree that police brutality and racism have to end; however, de-funding police forces and painting all cops with a broad brush is not the way to accomplish that.  It's been said before, but there are bad apples in every profession.  Should medical research funding be slashed because there are bad doctors?
    You hit the nail on the head.  I mentioned something along those lines with cost and the mention of defunding.

Doctors have a very high malpractice insurance that they pay into.

Police forces might have to do the same one day.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    The incident that has me most disturbed is that of 75 year old Martin Gugino, the protester who was shoved by police, fell backward on his head, is still in ICU and could still die or never fully recover.  There is video of the incident on Youtube but I won't post it- I can't watch it again.  The cop who shoved this man should be prosecuted and punished severely.  An absolutely despicable act.

Equally disgusting is Trumps reaction which can be read here:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

It's such a bizarre movement. You have a bunch of people exclaiming "defund the police" then a bunch of journalists come in to explain "what it actually means" which sounds nothing like defunding the police, yet they make sure to patronize anyone who thinks that "defund the police" means "defund the police."
  • Options
    Meanwhile I remain supportive of things like "end qualified immunity," "demilitarize the police," "bust police unions," and "end the drug war."
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

It's such a bizarre movement. You have a bunch of people exclaiming "defund the police" then a bunch of journalists come in to explain "what it actually means" which sounds nothing like defunding the police, yet they make sure to patronize anyone who thinks that "defund the police" means "defund the police."
    It sure is hard to follow, isn't it?  There were banners hanging the other day (still might be there) as you drive into downtown Chicago on the highway saying "Defund Police Invest in Communities."  With Chicago's crime rate, that sounds like a brilliant idea to me.  I'm sure it will all go well. 

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

It sure is hard to follow, isn't it?  There were banners hanging the other day (still might be there) as you drive into downtown Chicago on the highway saying "Defund Police Invest in Communities."  With Chicago's crime rate, that sounds like a brilliant idea to me.  I'm sure it will all go well. 

The idea of offloading some emergency response services to other professionals makes sense to me. To that extent that means smaller police forces/budgets, sure. But there are times you need a police officer. If some municipality wants to give eliminating police a go, have at it. I just hope it's not near me!
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

The idea of offloading some emergency response services to other professionals makes sense to me. To that extent that means smaller police forces/budgets, sure. But there are times you need a police officer. If some municipality wants to give eliminating police a go, have at it. I just hope it's not near me!

I wonder how gun sales are going?  We have enough people carrying as it is.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:

I wonder how gun sales are going?  We have enough people carrying as it is.
    6 million in the last 3 months. Shattering records.

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/three-months-6-million-guns-sold/
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    If some municipality wants to give eliminating police a go, have at it. I just hope it's not near me!
    Why, though? As a friend semi-jokingly put it, who else would you call to show up to your burgled home "two hours late, and then shoot your dog"?

The issues are thus:
    - Police have no duty to protect you or anyone else.
    - The vast majority of police calls are for petty nonsense and minor crimes, much of which simply goes unresolved and has no bearing on your safety.
    - Police have been trained to regard the public in an us vs. them capacity, and to approach every individual as if they might try to kill the officer at any moment.
    - Police are a guaranteed way to introduce a loaded gun to any situation.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    ^ So if we take police off the streets are you suggesting that society will suddenly become nothing but law abiding citizens? 
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    If some municipality wants to give eliminating police a go, have at it. I just hope it's not near me!
    Why, though? As a friend semi-jokingly put it, who else would you call to show up to your burgled home "two hours late, and then shoot your dog"?

The issues are thus:
    - Police have no duty to protect you or anyone else.
    - The vast majority of police calls are for petty nonsense and minor crimes, much of which simply goes unresolved and has no bearing on your safety.
    - Police have been trained to regard the public in an us vs. them capacity, and to approach every individual as if they might try to kill the officer at any moment.
    - Police are a guaranteed way to introduce a loaded gun to any situation.
    There are a whole host of oversight and accountability reforms I'd like to see implemented, which would address several of the points you make. If you're game to try living somewhere with no police, fine by me. I'm certainly curious to see how it goes. I have no interest. 
  • Options
    Honestly, I hope Minneapolis goes for it. It's a fascinating idea and I'd love to watch it from afar.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ So if we take police off the streets are you suggesting that society will suddenly become nothing but law abiding citizens? 
    This isn't productive. You need to look at what police actually offer to make any useful evaluation here. What does this current incarnation of law enforcement actually do, outside of television and childhood fantasy, that makes anyone safer? The answer to that informs what law enforcement needs to be re-tooled around. In many cases, local cops might need to go away completely (which leaves the county sheriff, not no police at all). Other changes are frustratingly obvious: End qualified immunity, civil forfeiture, military equipment purchases, shameful use of force standards. It might be time to consider stratifying police into unarmed and armed forces.

It's not all just "fuck the police" spite. If you were a cop, I'd bet you're over-equipped, under-trained, and excessively relied upon as society's janitor. You're expected to deal with mind-numbing, inconsequential bullshit all day, every day, except you're also led to believe someone might suddenly try to kill you at any moment. It's not a good combination.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    ^ Can I ask where it is that you live, that you’d feel a county sheriff would be enough to enforce the law?  Is it a small, rural town with a small population? 
  • Options
    I said in many cases. If you want to extrapolate that to mean everywhere, we're done here, stop wasting my time.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited June 2020
    pjl44 said:
    Honestly, I hope Minneapolis goes for it. It's a fascinating idea and I'd love to watch it from afar.
    I’ll be watching from a block away in St. Paul...my daily dog-walks take me into Minneapolis.  Admittedly I am nervous about it.  The reaction has been a little knee-jerk and/or poorly-communicated.  Then again, my dog-walks take me into an area where I have never seen a cop.  It’s people that constantly see them that want them gone.

Edited for: all sorts of crazy typos, auto-types, and auto-corrects.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    OnWis97 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I’ll be watching from a block away in St. Paul...my daily dog-walks take me into Minneapolis.  Admittedly I nervous about it.  The reaction gas been a little knee-jerk and/or poorly-communicated.  Then again, my dog-walks take me into an NBC an area where I have never seen a cop.  It’s people that constantly see them that want them gone.
    After what happened to the mayor a couple of days ago, his numbers come reelection will be very telling on how Minneapolis really feels about this idea.
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:
    I said in many cases. If you want to extrapolate that to mean everywhere, we're done here, stop wasting my time.
    I didn’t extrapolate anything. What I’m trying to get at is whether or not you’re willing to practice what you preach. Are you comfortable living somewhere with significantly reduced law enforcement, or in some cases, just a county sheriff?  I’m not. I can answer that question very easily. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    bbiggs said:
    You defeat your own point. We have police in the streets, and we still have people breaking laws. Until we get at the root cause of why people commit crime, it will be with us, police or not.
    I listened to a Minneapolis city councilman on 1A yesterday, on a panel with two officers, one of whom is now in Philly, formerly DC where he did a good job for us here. No one is suggesting murders or rapes go un-investigated or responded to. What people want to look at is how the petty things someone mentioned above get responded to. I mean, come on, George Floyd allegedly passed a fake 20 dollar bill. Can't we come up with a better way to handle something like this than calling in the po-po, three cars and six heavily armed cops over a 20 dollar bill?
    Strangely, the public loves to spout off all the new ways they'd change our schools that have been seriously defunded since the 2008 recession and never reinvested. Ask about that and it's all "we need a revolution in education to change with the times" -- and it's true. But policing, where big boys get to play with big toys? Grow their dicks, so to speak? Nope. No way. So much paternalistic masculinity behind the "protect and serve" bullshit, people can't let it go.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I’ll be watching from a block away in St. Paul...my daily dog-walks take me into Minneapolis.  Admittedly I nervous about it.  The reaction gas been a little knee-jerk and/or poorly-communicated.  Then again, my dog-walks take me into an NBC an area where I have never seen a cop.  It’s people that constantly see them that want them gone.
    I think you get to the heart of it here - their city, their decision. I have to think this wouldn't really impact you unless you were in Minneapolis, right? If you're in St. Paul and need to call the police for something, should be business as usual?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    So what has protesting accomplished? 

Within 10 days of sustained protests:

Minneapolis bans use of choke holds. 👉🏾Charges are upgraded against Officer Chauvin, and his accomplices are arrested and charged.
     👉🏾Dallas adopts a "duty to intervene" rule that requires officers to stop other cops who are engaging in inappropriate use of force. 👉🏾New Jersey’s attorney general said the state will update its use-of-force guidelines for the first time in two decades.
     👉🏾In Maryland, a bipartisan work group of state lawmakers announced a police reform work group.
     👉🏾Los Angeles City Council introduces motion to reduce LAPD’s $1.8 billion operating budget.
     👉🏾MBTA in Boston agrees to stop using public buses to transport police officers to protests.
     👉🏾Police brutality captured on cameras leads to near-immediate suspensions and firings of officers in several cities (i.e., Buffalo, Ft. Lauderdale).
     👉🏾Monuments celebrating confederates are removed in cities in Virginia, Alabama, and other states.
     👉🏾Street in front of the White House is renamed "Black Lives Matter Plaza.” Military forces begin to withdraw from D.C. Then, there's all the other stuff that's hard to measure:
     💓The really difficult public and private conversations that are happening about race and privilege.
     💓The realizations some white people are coming to about racism and the role of policing in this country.
     💓The self-reflection.
     💓The internal battles exploding within organizations over issues that have been simmering or ignored for a long time. Some organizations will end as a result, others will be forever changed or replaced with something stronger and fairer. Globally:
     🌎 Protests against racial inequality sparked by the police killing of George Floyd are taking place all over the world.
     🌎 Rallies and memorials have been held in cities across Europe, as well as in Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Australia, and New Zealand. 🌎 As the US contends with its second week of protests, issues of racism, police brutality, and oppression have been brought to light across the globe.
     🌎 People all over the world understand that their own fights for human rights, for equality and fairness, will become so much more difficult to win if we are going to lose America as the place where 'I have a dream' is a real and universal political program," Wolfgang Ischinger, a former German ambassador to the US, told the New Yorker. 🌎 In France, protesters marched holding signs that said "I can't breathe" to signify both the words of Floyd, and the last words of Adama Traoré, a 24-year-old black man who was subdued by police officers and gasped the sentence before he died outside Paris in 2016.

🌎 Cities across Europe have come together after the death of George Floyd:
     ✊🏽 In Amsterdam, an estimated 10,000 people filled the Dam square on Monday, holding signs and shouting popular chants like "Black lives matter," and "No justice, no peace."
     ✊🏽 In Germany, people gathered in multiple locations throughout Berlin to demand justice for Floyd and fight against police brutality.
     ✊🏾 A mural dedicated to Floyd was also spray-painted on a stretch of wall in Berlin that once divided the German capital during the Cold War.
     ✊🏿 In Ireland, protesters held a peaceful demonstration outside of Belfast City Hall, and others gathered outside of the US embassy in Dublin.
     ✊🏿In Italy, protesters gathered and marched with signs that said "Stop killing black people," "Say his name," and "We will not be silent."
     ✊🏾 In Spain, people gathered to march and hold up signs throughout Barcelona and Madrid.
     ✊🏾 In Athens, Greece, protesters took to the streets to collectively hold up a sign that read "I can't breathe."
     ✊🏾 In Brussels, protesters were seen sitting in a peaceful demonstration in front of an opera house in the center of the city.
     ✊🏾In Denmark, protesters were heard chanting "No justice, no peace!" throughout the streets of Copenhagen, while others gathered outside the US embassy.
     ✊🏾 In Canada, protesters were also grieving for Regis Korchinski-Paquet, a 29-year-old black woman who died on Wednesday after falling from her balcony during a police investigation at her building.
     ✊🏾 And in New Zealand, roughly 2,000 people marched to the US embassy in Auckland, chanting and carrying signs demanding justice.
     💐 Memorials have been built for Floyd around the world, too. In Mexico City, portraits of him were hung outside the US embassy with roses, candles, and signs.
     💐 In Poland, candles and flowers were laid out next to photos of Floyd outside the US consulate.
     💐 And in Syria, two artists created a mural depicting Floyd in the northwestern town of Binnish, "on a wall destroyed by military planes." Before the assassination of George Floyd some of you were able to say whatever the hell you wanted and the world didn't say anything to you... THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT, AN AWAKENING...MANY OF YOU ARE BEING EXPOSED FOR WHO YOU REALLY ARE. #readthatagain Don't wake up tomorrow on the wrong side of this issue. Its not to late to SAY, "maybe I need to look at this from a different perspective. Maybe I don't know what its like to be Black in America... Maybe, just maybe, I have been taught wrong." There is still so much work to be done. It's been a really dark, raw week. This could still end badly. But all we can do is keep doing the work. Keep protesting.
     WE ARE NOT TRYING TO START A RACE WAR; WE ARE PROTESTING TO END IT, PEACEFULLY. How beautiful is that?
     ALL LIVES CANNOT MATTER UNTIL YOU INCLUDE BLACK LIVES. YOU CANNOT SAY 'ALL LIVES MATTER' WHEN YOU DO NOTHING TO STOP SYSTEMIC RACISM & POLICE BRUTALITY. YOU CANNOT SAY 'ALL LIVES MATTER' WHEN BLACK PEOPLE ARE DYING AND ALL YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT IS THE LOOTING. YOU CANNOT SAY 'ALL LIVES MATTER' WHEN YOU ALLOW CHILDREN TO BE CAGED, VETERANS TO GO HOMELESS, AND POOR FAMILIES TO GO HUNGRY & LOSE THEIR HEALTH INSURANCE. DO ALL LIVES MATTER? YES. BUT RIGHT NOW, ONLY BLACK LIVES ARE BEING TARGETED, JAILED, AND KILLED EN MASSE- SO THAT'S WHO WE'RE FOCUSING ON. 🖤🖤🖤BLACK LIVES MATTER🖤🖤🖤

IF YOU CAN'T SEE THIS, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. 

That's quite a bit in a short period of time, I hope it continues in positive ways. 

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Lots of great things.  Look forward to more changes as well.  I do think the open dialogue has been the single best part so far.  Cause the other things are quick, knee-jerk type actions.  But talking to each other can improve a generation.  Next step are law changes in more than just sporadic cities.

I will say, that the single thing on your list that actually bugs me was the DC mayor using paint and basically encouraging vandalism by painting that street simply to troll the president.  It was a petty political move.  But at least more peaceful than the president's own petty political move.

I certainly haven't agreed with everything posted here or that I've heard on the news, radio etc.  But it's all been great to read and listen to.  It also does help to try and stop the 'knee jerk' reactions to things like "Defund the police".  Well, doesn't stop it, but the dialogue continue allows for people to actually understand that it's a really dumb term for what they are trying to say.  A term more to rally those that already support your cause vs bring more people on board.  
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.