Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    CM189191 said:
    Interested in seeing how this all works out. I kinda hate throwing the baby out with the bath water, but it’s bold. 
    Baby was warned and had numerous opportunities to get itself out of the bathtub before the bathwater was thrown out. 

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    CM189191 said:
    Interested in seeing how this all works out. I kinda hate throwing the baby out with the bath water, but it’s bold. 
    Baby was warned and had numerous opportunities to get itself out of the bathtub before the bathwater was thrown out. 

Sounds to me like one of the strongest options is hinted at here:
    "Details are limited given it's at the start of a wider dismantling process, including with regards as to who would provide the primary law enforcement. It's possible that the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office could play a role, given Minneapolis is in its jurisdiction."

County Sheriffs are often required better, more in-depth training but I've bumped into a few I'd just as soon forget. 

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    edited June 2020
    pjl44 said:
    You should read that article about Camden. They also refer to what they're doing as "community policing" but there are actually more cops on the ground - they're just employed by the county vs. a traditional city PD. The other article hints at Minneapolis moving toward something similar (though no talk of head count).
    I’m in Falcon Heights, MN where Philando Castile was murdered by cops. At that time our city was sharing police services with another municipality. Our city council terminated the agreement and put a bid out for police services. No one wanted it. 

In MN there is statute that a municipality must provide emergency response services, if the municipality is unable to provide, the county sheriffs department must provide the service. So Falcon Heights has Ramsey County providing the police services. 

With what Minneapolis city council is proposing, Hennepin County Sheriff’s department would then have to provide police services for the city.

As for what is happening in Camden, it doesn’t seem to be sustainable. Yes, there is no city PD, but they now have more county police who are being paid significantly less money. Not sure how that fixes any of the problems.

Ive been reading a book called the End of Policing by Alex Vitale. Lots of arguments and ideas for ways to reduce policing activities, reallocate funds to better serve communities without eliminating police. 
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,860
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,074
    pjl44 said:
    You should read that article about Camden. They also refer to what they're doing as "community policing" but there are actually more cops on the ground - they're just employed by the county vs. a traditional city PD. The other article hints at Minneapolis moving toward something similar (though no talk of head count).
    I’m in Falcon Heights, MN where Philando Castile was murdered by cops. At that time our city was sharing police services with another municipality. Our city council terminated the agreement and put a bid out for police services. No one wanted it. 

In MN there is statute that a municipality must provide emergency response services, if the municipality is unable to provide, the county sheriffs department must provide the service. So Falcon Heights has Ramsey County providing the police services. 

With what Minneapolis city council is proposing, Hennepin County Sheriff’s department would then have to provide police services for the city.

As for what is happening in Camden, it doesn’t seem to be sustainable. Yes, there is no city PD, but they now have more county police who are being paid significantly less money. Not sure how that fixes any of the problems.

Ive been reading a book called the End of Policing by Alex Vitale. Lots of arguments and ideas for ways to reduce policing activities, reallocate funds to better serve communities without eliminating police. 
    What makes you say the Camden model is unsustainable? It's been 7 years now and anything I've read seems to tout improvements. I'm certainly no expert and not even necessarily an advocate. Just curious where the soft spots are.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

What makes you say the Camden model is unsustainable? It's been 7 years now and anything I've read seems to tout improvements. I'm certainly no expert and not even necessarily an advocate. Just curious where the soft spots are.
    Maybe should have picked a better word than sustainable. From my understanding, Camden now has more officers patrolling the city under the county system and has dramatically increased the use of surveillance. Not sure that decreases “policing” per say as some folks are calling for. Camden is also much smaller than Minneapolis.

There are a lot of layers/ideas/options to be explored to resolving this issue. I’m open to them as reform is needed. After having spent numerous years working in adult education/workforce development for community based organizations, I guess I get a little skeptical when politicians throw out generalities stating they are going to do something like “disbanding” “dismantling” “community policing” without a plan to go along with it.  Sounds like pandering.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Maybe should have picked a better word than sustainable. From my understanding, Camden now has more officers patrolling the city under the county system and has dramatically increased the use of surveillance. Not sure that decreases “policing” per say as some folks are calling for. Camden is also much smaller than Minneapolis.

There are a lot of layers/ideas/options to be explored to resolving this issue. I’m open to them as reform is needed. After having spent numerous years working in adult education/workforce development for community based organizations, I guess I get a little skeptical when politicians throw out generalities stating they are going to do something like “disbanding” “dismantling” “community policing” without a plan to go along with it.  Sounds like pandering.
    Gotcha and I agree with everything you're saying. To your point, it will be easier to take a critical look at what Minneapolis intends to do once there is a firm plan.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Gotcha and I agree with everything you're saying. To your point, it will be easier to take a critical look at what Minneapolis intends to do once there is a firm plan.

Agreed...but the Minneapolis City Council is giving people the impression that they're just going to defund (the meaning of which people don't understand) and...well...that's it.  There seems to be no plan.  I hope it's just really poor communication.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    OnWis97 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Agreed...but the Minneapolis City Council is giving people the impression that they're just going to defund (the meaning of which people don't understand) and...well...that's it.  There seems to be no plan.  I hope it's just really poor communication.
    It's a horrible communication and will just end up pissing off people all around, both now and later.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/06/07/minneapolis-city-council-announces-intent-to-dismantle-mpd/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Um...no. They must be some of the worst and definitely not proud.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Kat said:

Really strange...this and the SC case where the argument is that police should be immune from personal lawsuits.

Both cameras and personal liability exposure are what keep people honest.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I'm thinking that's what authoritarian types do to keep power over others...even when the others are trying to do what's right. They make a law so the right action is wrong...  Just like soul-eater...they don't want oversight.

• Options
    Kat said:

I think this is being taken out of context. It appears to me they are saying areas that police have marked off for crimes scenes, investigations, etc. should not be filmed. The George Floyd incident and any other arrest, detainment or incident response is not what this is referring to. Link to the ordinance below.

Adopted by the City Council April 21, Ordinance 11746 makes filming a crime scene a class two misdemeanor punishable by up to four months in jail and a $750 fine.

The ordinance does not ban the recording of police activity in general.

• Options
    Why would they ban recordings of that and couldn't they just say "we're investigating" anywhere and use that law to hide what they're doing? Has that been tested in court yet? And is it in a court that McConnell hasn't provided the judges who are not actually qualified. I may be off in the weeds but trust is definitely earned when it comes to some things.
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Why would they ban recordings of that and couldn't they just say "we're investigating" anywhere and use that law to hide what they're doing? Has that been tested in court yet? And is it in a court that McConnell hasn't provided the judges who are not actually qualified. I may be off in the weeds but trust is definitely earned when it comes to some things.
    It would have been helpful if they had created a definition because I could see people being wary of what crime scene means, but generally, it's a physical space where a felony has occurred; homicide, assault, robbery, arson, etc. If people film those areas they may compromise evidence. It seems that public mistrust is going to really turn the current legal process on it's head. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I'm thinking they can't lie in court about a crime when a citizen has a video of something they want to lie about. That's how far my cynicism has gone...we need good people in policing. I've always loved blue but I don't like bad apples and it's going to take the good police officers to get the bad apples out of their profession. The bad apples make the good officers look terrible and so the "good" officers are not trustworthy themselves because of that. It wonn't be easy, it never is but it's time to stand up. 
    Thanks tbergs. :) 
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Kat said:
    It would have been helpful if they had created a definition because I could see people being wary of what crime scene means, but generally, it's a physical space where a felony has occurred; homicide, assault, robbery, arson, etc. If people film those areas they may compromise evidence. It seems that public mistrust is going to really turn the current legal process on it's head. 
    What would be an example of evidence being compromised if someone is filming?
  • Options
    I sure couldn't think of anything and to me, the recording is merely a confirmation of reality. Not allowing recording sounds like someone wants to hide something.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    Kat said:
    Police photos or reports introduced at trial showing the location of a weapon or shell casings and someone who filmed as it happened or after it happened showing no weapon, or a weapon closer/further to/from the body or distribution of shell casings different, or something entirely different that doesn’t jibe with witness testimony (position of the sun/shadows, lighting, number of other potential witnesses, etc. etc.).
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Kat said:
    I sure couldn't think of anything and to me, the recording is merely a confirmation of reality. Not allowing recording sounds like someone wants to hide something.
    That's my feeling, too, but I'm open to admitting I'm missing something 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    Kat said:
    Police photos or reports introduced at trial showing the location of a weapon or shell casings and someone who filmed as it happened or after it happened showing no weapon, or a weapon closer/further to/from the body or distribution of shell casings different, or something entirely different that doesn’t jibe with witness testimony (position of the sun/shadows, lighting, number of other potential witnesses, etc. etc.).
    Would we be in agreement if I said I found your example to be one of positive oversight? Because I'm reading tbergs as saying the person filming may be inadvertently compromising evidence.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    Kat said:
    Would we be in agreement if I said I found your example to be one of positive oversight? Because I'm reading tbergs as saying the person filming may be inadvertently compromising evidence.
    I’d assume “positive oversight” is relative to which “side” you’re on. Personally, I’d say yes. I can’t speak for Tbergs but he may have been referring to someone walking around on the other side of the police taped off crime scene.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    Kat said:
    Is that you, Horatio?
    csi miami GIF
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,311
    https://twitter.com/motherjones/status/1270059322806923264?s=21
    Unreal behavior by these uniformed personnel!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

woah. 

those cars were told 3 times to back up.   Those tires need to comply
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    Do they have a statement for that?  Isn't that the national guard and not police slashing the tires?
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    Do they have a statement for that?
    RTFA:
    Update, 6/8/20: The Star Tribune has identified the officers puncturing tires as state troopers and deputies from the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office. The officers strategically deflated the tires to “stop behaviors such as vehicles driving dangerously and at high speeds in and around protesters and law enforcement,” said Minnesota Department of Public Safety spokesperson Bruce Gordon. The troopers reportedly targeted cars that “contained items used to cause harm during violent protests” such as rocks and concrete. The Anoka County Sheriff’s Lt. Andy Knotz said deputies were following directions from the state-led Multiagency Command Center.
    In case it needs to be said, the explanation given is bullshit. The police are rioting.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:
    Update, 6/8/20: The Star Tribune has identified the officers puncturing tires as state troopers and deputies from the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office. The officers strategically deflated the tires to “stop behaviors such as vehicles driving dangerously and at high speeds in and around protesters and law enforcement,” said Minnesota Department of Public Safety spokesperson Bruce Gordon. The troopers reportedly targeted cars that “contained items used to cause harm during violent protests” such as rocks and concrete. The Anoka County Sheriff’s Lt. Andy Knotz said deputies were following directions from the state-led Multiagency Command Center.
    In case it needs to be said, the explanation given is bullshit. The police are rioting.
    and they weren't 'deflated' as they suggest.

They were slashed resulting in thousands of dollars in damage

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    Mike D88 said:
    RTFA:
    Police rioting might be a bit of a stretch.  They know they are being watched.  You think they are that blatant about what they did and would lie about it?

Too much credit to the PD?
This discussion has been closed.